Chapter 1: Internet Cafe

Beautiful smile

"We have been a married couple for half a year. Don't you think calling my last name is a bit awkward?" says Krystal's 'husband' in the game. She got used to it because every time when she goes online and complete some quests together, he will definitely bring up the subject.

 

"Mhmmm, don't you think by calling you 'honey' or 'hubby' is even more awkward?" Krystal replied.

 

"Crystally, you are studying in Seoul right? I am also in Seoul too. Do you want to meet up and at least have a meal together? I know a Korean restaurant; it is comparable to a Michelin 3-star restaurant." Show-off, Krystal thought but she also knows why he mention about meeting her up, which is to see how his ‘wife’ looks like.

 

"I don’t think it’s necessary. Besides, we can just enjoy the game. Why would we need to meet up?" She asked the obvious. She leans back to her seat and smile a little, looking-forward at how would he reply to her obvious question. They become a married couple purely because of the missions and quests in the game, no strings attached. However, recently her 'husband' keep suggesting about meeting her, it seems that her 'husband' is very persistent in meeting her. 

 

"There is a saying now that you don't know whether you are playing with a person or with a dog. I just want to make sure and I want to see how you look like too. Could you send me your photo?" Krystal sighed at the reply he gave and suddenly her laptop screen blackout. 

 

She tried to pluck in and out the charger but the laptop still can't work. "EUNJI, what did you do?" she shouted from her study table.

 

*****

 

Eunji open the door slightly to check whether is anybody outside. 2 students pass by their room, she got a little shock but nonetheless said hi to them. Everyone knows Eunji because she is the loud and adorable girl, even the most boring lesson, Eunji can still make the class fun and filled with laughter. 

 

"Krystal, there is no one, hurry up! " Eunji urge Krystal to faster fix the electric box.

 

"But what happened? Suddenly the power electricity went out." Eunji wonder.

 

"The circuit is out." Krystal told Eunji when sticking a small tape around the wire to fix it.

 

"I just cooked a noodle and the circuit is out? Will the dorm assistant be mad at me?" Eunji started to worry, putting her hands to together and start to pray that the dorm assistant won’t find out.

 

"Oh please, before you cook the noodle, can you please calculate the amount of electric current?"

 

"Come on, I am in Computer Science, not Electrical Engineering, why would I calculate it? What to do? My noodle is still in the pot, Krystal-ahhhh" Eunji remembered her half-cooked noodle in the electrical pot and started to whine.

 

"What to do? Give me half of your noodle." Once Krystal said finish and the electricity is back on. Eunji pouted but she has no choice but to share her noodle since Krystal fix it.

 

"No wonder we, Computer Science girls, can't find Mr Right. We can do everything by ourselves, why do we still need them for?" Eunji wondered out loud when she continued cooking her noodles.

 

"Excuse me. Firstly, I did all the work and that has nothing to do with you not being able to find a boyfriend. Secondly, my friend online just asked me for a photo then I suddenly disappeared, he must have think that I don't dare to share my photo. How are you going to compensate me for the damage to my reputation?" Krystal pointed the scissors at Eunji but she uses her index finger to push away the scissors before someone gets hurt. Krystal walk away and put the scissors back to the drawer.

 

"Ahh, your 'husband' in the game?" Eunji suddenly fangirl about Krystal 'husband'.

 

"Wait, how do you know that? Did you peep at me playing the game again?" Eunji cheekily smile at Krystal and she ignore her question. "So are you going to give him your photo?"

 

Krystal went back to her study table, "Of course not, we got together just to do the couple quests, it's weird to share photos but it's not nice to go offline like that. At least I should give an excuse such as computer crashed and deleted all my photos or something," wanting to switch on her laptop but it seems that her laptop really crashed. 

 

"Your computer crashed and you lost all your photos?" Eunji slowly sat down in front of Krystal and eat her noodles.

 

"You are such a jinx, Eunji, jinx. How could this happen?"

 

...

 

"Krystal." Eunji slowly move away from her and said, "I forgot to tell you that when I borrowed your laptop yesterday, I kind of accidentally dropped it."

 

"Don't you dare to run!"

 

*****

 

"I haven't finish my noodles!!" Eunji got push out of the room by Krystal as they went to the repair shop which is located outside of the school.

 

"You damage my laptop and you still want your noodles? No way!" Krystal quickly drag Eunji to the place where bikes and scooters were parked. Eunji took out her key and started the scooter engine.

 

"Such a nice weather, Sana went to meet her boyfriend, Momo went to an alumni reunion and yet I have to accompany you to have your laptop fixed. This nice weather is all wasted." Eunji complained but Krystal retort.

 

"Who damage my laptop? Stop complaining and go now."

 

*****

 

"Let's go for a movie after you send it to repair." Eunji suggested. Making their way to the area where the bicycles and scooters are parked. "I am not going to leave it there, instead I will buy a motherboard and replace it myself. It is cheaper and faster that way. And I have to use my laptop tonight." Krystal explained.

 

"Do you have to rush to fix it?"

 

"Of course! A good Computer Science student like me will not survive a day without my laptop, ok?” Krystal put on her safety helmet and saw Eunji gave her a look. "Plus I have appointment with someone in the games tonight." She continued.

 

"I knew it!"

 

They rode by a couple who are being lovey-dovey by the road side. "How time flies! We are sophomore already. It is hard to believe that in this University with tons of guys and a few girls and in the Computer Science department, and we still can't find a boyfriend after two years. It is so pathetic." Eunji complained again after seeing the couple.

 

"You choose this university because of this reason right?"

 

"Nope! Of course not all of it. Computer Science is my dream major, but I still need to worry about my future right?"

 

*****

 

They went past a school notice board beside the road and saw many people surrounding. Curiosity kills the cats and so they went down the scooter and see what's going on.

 

[Basketball tournament between Computer Science and Bio Chemistry]

 

"It’s Mark Tuan, the legend is coming back for the basketball game!" Eunji said feeling excited.

 

"That's great! We can see the legend play again!" Krystal, who rarely fangirl, is also feeling excited to see the Legend, Mark Tuan.

 

/Mark Tuan is the key player so he will definitely come right? /

 

/That's not certain, he is already a senior and he rarely appear in school./

 

/I guess this time they are bluffing again./

 

/There is nothing to lose to just go there and take a look, this might be the last chance to see him too./

 

"I guess we will have to go there an hour earlier." Eunji whispered to Krystal.

 

"True, but I have a friendly match with Daegu University before the game. You, Sana and Momo will have to go first." Krystal replied.

 

"Sana is not going to play in the friendly match?" Eunji is a bit shock when she heard Sana is not going to the friendly match. Sana is the Open Spiker of the School team but since it is also a friendly match for the Seniors who are graduating, so she kindly let out her position and let her senior play. Krystal is an all-rounder player in volleyball, she's able to play any position but her coach will decide for her during the game itself.

 

"Nope, she let out her position for the reserve seniors to play so she's not going, plus she just recovers from ankle sprain, so I think Jungkook wouldn't let her play and she would rather go support Jungkook's match." Krystal said.

 

"Ahh the power of love" Eunji is feeling a bit envious, same for Krystal.

 

Eunji stared at Krystal and wonder, "Wait, Krystal, I didn't know you're so into Mark Tuan."

 

"He is the legend, woman. I even downloaded all the software her posted. If our college is like a game with ranking, he will be top for every skill." Krystal said with hearts in her eyes.

 

"Woman, you're so sophisticated. I only look and go for face and body." Eunji said while drooling.

 

*****

 

"Nana, let's get this one." said Hyuna, who is holding a ram in her hand.

 

"Hyuna, we don't know him, how can I ask him to help?" Said Nana who is suddenly regretting about the plan which Hyuna came up with. Hyuna met a person few days ago which is from Mark's dorm and she wanted to ask this person, who is in the same dorm as Mark, to ask Mark to help ‘fix’ Nana's laptop. Everyone in the school knows that Nana have a crush on Mark, plus Nana is rank the top 1 prettiest girl in school so everyone is interested and knows about it.

 

“I doubt that after hearing your name they will not help you. Relax.” Nana felt a bit relief after hearing Hyuna’s words.

 

They went to the counter, wanting to know the price of it. “Mister, how much is this?” Hyuna asked the shopkeeper.

 

“$399”

 

“$399?! For this ram?” Nana found it ridiculous.

 

At the same time, Krystal and Eunji arrived at the same shop and Krystal immediately found the things she need to fix her laptop. They made their way to the counter for payment, they accidentally overhear the conversation between the ladies in front of them and the shopkeeper.

 

“If you go out and ask, others also sold the ram at this price. Plus, this is really good stuff.” The shopkeeper claimed but however Nana and Hyuna still think that it is still expensive.

 

“How about giving us a discount? $349?” Hyuna suggested.

 

“$399 is the cheapest price we can offer, Miss.” The shopkeeper retorted.

 

Krystal couldn’t stand it and decided to help them, she walked towards the counter, “Mister, this price for the ram is not reasonable. The gold glare on the ram doesn’t look right, it is obviously second-hand goods and you charge them for the price of the new one, this is unfair for them.”

 

“Rubbish, what do you know? This is none of your business.”

 

“Well, I am from Computer Science. How much do you think I know? This store is open in front of my university, yet you are selling things at such an unreasonable price. I am afraid that if this spreads out, not much students will come here and buy things from you.” These words made Hyuna realised that she is Krystal, who rank second in the prettiest girl in school.

 

“True true.” Eunji say, nodding at what Krystal said.

 

“What’s wrong with you two? Did both of you come here to find trouble?” The shopkeeper started to get a little bit pissed off. “You two look so pretty yet you say such thing in my shop. Please leave now, I don’t want to do your business.”

 

“Miss, this ram you can get it at any retail shop for just around $200, and it’s totally brand new. You can google for it if you don’t believe me.” Krystal turn to Nana, however both of them did not remember each other.

 

Hyuna whispered to Nana saying, “This girl is Krystal Jung, the girl who rank second after you in the ranking.” Nana realised that she is Krystal and she turn to her, “Thankyou but I believe that the shopkeeper will not lie to me and it is reasonable for him to earn some profit.” She took out her wallet and pay for the ram.

 

Krystal and Eunji look at each other but no words came out from them.

 

*****

 

“I swear she is pretending to be so nice and up-class. FOR WHAT? FOR WHO? We are trying to help her and now she makes it seems like we are the bad guys.” Eunji complained. “I know. She must have recognised you and she’s jealous of you!” She continues saying when they are walking toward the scooter. “You know her right? Im Jin Ah, also known as Nana. She was voted as the prettiest girl on campus.”

 

“Oh, that’s why she looks familiar.” Krystal just realised. Eunji look that the two girls who walk out of the stall, “That must be the reason. Last year beauty competition between you two was really heated, of course her attitude wasn’t that good with you.”

 

“It wasn’t heated last year and don’t forget who uploaded my picture online.” Krystal teasingly pointed a finger at Eunji.

 

“You searched my laptop and phone last year, it wasn’t me woman! Besides, I wouldn’t upload such a blurry picture. If it was really me who upload it, I would have posted an up front, HD picture of you bathing muahahaha.” Krystal gave her a ‘Are you freaking serious’ look. But being a curious and talkative friend, Eunji continued, “Do you think Nana’s photo was Photoshop? She doesn’t really look good in real life. If she has posted a non-Photoshop picture, Krystal, I can assure you that you wouldn’t have lost.”

 

“I am going to the Internet café later. Besides, I remember that she’s the champion and I am the runner-up then I should be the one who is hostile, why is she hostile towards me?”

 

“Who knows? Maybe she don’t…” Eunji lower down her eye to Krystal’s chest area.

 

“Get your dirty eyes away from me, woman.” Krystal pushed Eunji further away from her.

 

“SHE MUST BE.” Eunji snickered, starting the engine, preparing to return to the dorm.

 

“Now I finally know why you still cannot find a boyfriend.”

 

“Why? Why? Why? Tell me please Krystal. I will change at once!”

 

“Because obviously you are more interested and pay more attention to girls, duh.”

 

“KRYSTAL JUNG, YOU THINK I DON’T DARE TO BEAT YOU UP?”

 

“Okok, stop stop. I am going to the Internet Café now. Help me take my laptop back, thank you love you.” Krystal make a kissing face at her and start to make her way to the nearest Internet Café.

 

“Still say I don’t have a boyfriend, you spend all your time with your computer” Eunji said to herself and making her way back to the dorm.

 

*****

 

Somewhere at an Internet Café…

 

“I heard from your dad, you want to start a company?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“In which area?”

 

“I will start developing two games first.”

 

“If you won this round, I will give you a gift.” They were playing a game of Go, where players take turns to place black and white pieces (called stones) on the board, in a private room of the Internet Café.

 

*****

 

*Rings*

 

The sound of the bell ringing when someone had open the door. Krystal walked into the Internet Café and had booked 1 hour because she had accepted a challenge in a game by someone. She randomly finds any empty seat which is facing the outside street. She put on the headphone provided and log in to the game.

 

She quickly went to the venue of the challenge and luckily she wasn’t late. Within a few minutes when she started the challenge with another user, she had already won. She was the only female player in the top 10 of the game ranking. She had skilfully operate well in the games.

 

/Crystally is the only female player in the ranking./

 

/With this skills, she is only the 6th?!/

 

/I wonder who is the first in the ranking?”/

 

/I saw that the first in the ranking is mtyien. Such a weird name./

 

/Why would he chose a name like this?/

 

“Crystally, let’s vs again!”

 

“Okay, but I’m at the Internet Café. I only paid for an hour. Let’s do a quick one.”

 

*****

 

Mark won.

 

“According to our agreement, you won this game. Uncle will give you a gift. This place shall be my gift for you. Don’t you want to run a game company? This place is good for a start up after renovating.”

 

“Uncle, this is your plan, I didn’t agree to it.”

 

“You don’t want my gift?”

 

“No.”

 

“Little bastard, that’s the spirit.” Uncle said with a small smile on his face.

 

“I just feel that there’s more sense of satisfaction starting from scratch, besides, I have already found a place.”

 

Both of them get up from their seat, preparing to leave the place.

 

“Both of us are mutants in this family who like computers, your dad is a lecturer who teach archaeology, your mom is lecturer who teaches history, and you took Computer Science. We are the same type of people. I don’t have lots of time for this Internet Café, if you don’t want it, I will close it first.”

 

“Boss, there is a phone call for you.”

 

“Okay, I will be right back, Mark.”

 

Mark was left alone in the middle of the Internet Café, but there was someone who caught is attention. The girl who was in front of him was playing a game and was challenging someone. The person is skilfully operating and her moves were smooth. He was attracted by the operating of the moves. He knows the game that the girl was playing because he was playing too. He started to move closer towards the girl but the girl had won another round and her 1 hour was up. She took off her headphone and stretch a little bit before leaving. Mark coincidentally saw her ID and also took a small look at how she looks like. He makes a small mental note in his mind to check out her profile of the game later.

 

“What are you starring at? Let’s go to your house for dinner. It’s time for me to make something tonight.” Mark’s uncle came back and drag him away.

 

-

Author's note: Helloooo, I have joined 2 chapter together and i am writing the next chapter now!!! Thankyou for your patience~