The Previous Monday

Clueless

The Previous Monday

 

“Hey, Jonghyun! You trying out for basketball this afternoon?”

 

That was Onew. He knows full well that sports and I aren’t compatible, but he likes to have a little fun with me.

 

“You know I’ll be there,” I replied, going along with it. Onew took a seat opposite me, placing his lunch tray on the table. The spices from his meal instantly assaulted my nose, almost making my eyes water. I seriously don’t know how he can eat that stuff, but it doesn’t faze him in the least. I think I’ll stick with my tamer dumplings.

 

Krystal plunked herself down beside him; she’s one of the school’s cheerleaders. Onew draws girls like flies to honey. I’d be jealous of him if I had any interest in girls.

 

Krystal pulled a lollipop out of with a pop. “Really, basketball?” she asked. “Aren’t you a little,” she paused, “...um...busy with your music?”

 

I knew she was thinking I’m too short, but I appreciated the last-minute save. Krystal’s alright. She went back to on her candy and didn’t push the fact that I hadn’t answered.

 

“How’d you do in Chem?” Onew asked, scooping up a mass of sauce-covered rice and stuffing his cheeks. Somehow he’s even cute with his face full of food. From the way she was watching him, I would say Krystal thinks so too.

 

I groaned and buried my face in my hands. “Mr. Mun hates me. You know that, right? I swear he made that test as hard as humanly possible.”

 

“I thought it was pretty easy,” Onew replied with a shrug, his chopsticks preparing the next mouthful.

 

From anyone else, this would be an annoying comment—a jab at my incompetence, unnecessary bragging about his skills. But with Onew, it’s just the truth.

 

“I can help you before the next test if you want,” he offered, chomping enthusiastically on some strips of beef.

 

Before I could answer, Taemin came breezing into the cafeteria and squished himself onto the bench beside Onew, forcing him and Krystal to scoot over. “Guess who’s back?” he announced, a big grin on his face.

 

Onew slowed his chewing marginally and tipped his head back slightly, eyes raised in thought. After a moment he shook his head and shrugged. “Hint?”

 

“He graduated two years ago,” Taemin offered, face lit with enjoyment at his little game.

 

“Taemin, that was, like, a hundred people,” Onew protested.

 

“Next hint?” Krystal asked, leaning around Onew.

 

“He played soccer.”

 

“Donghae?” she guessed, tossing her lollipop stick into a nearby garbage can.

 

“Close!” Taemin answered, his grin a mile wide.

 

“Eunhyuk!” she answered.

 

“Yep!” Taemin nodded, reaching absentmindedly to help himself to my food.

 

“Hey!” I protested.

 

Taemin startled for a moment, surprised to see my chopsticks in his hand. Then he continued to steal my food. “I’m hungry,” he said in justification.

 

“What’s he doing back?” Onew asked.

 

“Well, he’s not back, back, obviously. But he’s on winter break at uni, so he came home for a visit. He’s in the gym right now shooting hoops with Minho.”

 

“Sounds about right,” responded Onew.

 

“Who’s Eunhyuk?” I asked, rescuing my last dumpling from Taemin’s grasp.

 

“Oh, that’s right, you weren’t here yet,” Krystal began. “He was only the most popular guy in the school. Good at sports, funny, smart, gorgeous...”

 

“Great smile,” Onew added before taking a sip of his milk.

 

“Yeah, great smile,” Krystal agreed, resting her chin on her palm dreamily. “Hey, let’s go to the gym!” she suggested, jumping to her feet.

 

Onew shoved the last couple of bites in his mouth and got up. “You coming?” he mumbled through his food.

 

Since, thanks to Taemin, my plate was now empty too, I figured I may as well tag along. Onew and I put our trays on the rack by the door, and the four of us headed toward the gym, Taemin dragging a pencil along the metal lockers, sending metallic clinks clacking down the hall.

 

Our math teacher stuck her head out of the classroom door. “Taemin!” she called out. “Cut the noise!”

 

Taemin stopped, turned, and bowed slightly. “Sorry, Miss Park.” Then he spun around and ran to catch up with us.

 

“And no running in the halls!” she shouted after him.

 

“Sorry about that too, Miss Park,” Taemin yelled, giggling and giving her a wave.

 

It’s a good thing he’s so cute. Taemin has this endearing quality that allows him to get away with murder. He’s adorable, plus he never actually means any harm. He just doesn’t think.

 

As expected, Miss Park just shook her head and went back in her class, letting him continue on his way.

 

When we got to the gym, the game was still on. Sneakers squeaked on the polished floor as we made our way up into the bleachers. Minho and Leo versus Amber and a blond guy I didn’t know but assumed was Eunhyuk, the cause of all the buzz. I don’t know who was ahead at that point, but as we took our seats, Leo passed the ball under Eunhyuk’s arm to Minho, who drove to the net and sunk a two-pointer. I looked around as a few kids watching the game hooted and hollered.

 

It was then that I noticed Key sitting by himself at the top of the bleachers, reading a book. He’s new—only been here about a month. For some reason, Minho hangs out with him. Beats me why. He always seems to be in a bad mood, whenever I’m around at least. Of course, he picked that moment to look up and catch me watching him. I tried to turn away quickly, but not before Key shot me an icy stare. I shivered.

 

Booo!” a voice snapped me out of my thoughts. “You travelled!”

 

Minho stopped short and looked around for the source.

 

“You took, like, four steps,” called out Onew, gesturing at the distance.

 

“I did not!”

 

“Yeah, you did. Didn’t he?” Onew asked Taemin, who nodded in agreement.

 

“I took two,” Minho protested. He held up his hand for the ball, and Amber tossed it over to him. Minho furrowed his brow and looked at the floor, trying to find the exact place where he had been when Leo passed him the ball.

 

Concentrating, he set up again: one, two, swish.

 

He grabbed the ball and looked up at Onew. “That’s exactly what I did,” he argued, pointing behind him.

 

“Nope,” insisted Onew, shaking his head. “At least four steps. You started farther back.”

 

“I did not!” Minho looked around in disbelief at his fellow athletes. He was so absorbed in proving his point, he completely missed the fact that Onew and Taemin were starting to lose it, greatly amused by how easy it was to yank Minho’s chain. Snickers could be heard here and there in the bleachers too, but Minho was on a mission. “That was perfectly good, right, Amber?”

 

“Sorry, dude, I think Leo’s arm was blocking my view,” she answered, playing along.

 

Minho ran his hand through his hair in frustration. “Eunhyuk, you saw it. It was two, right?”

 

Eunhyuk turned up his hands and shook his head like he wasn’t sure, so Minho set up the shot again, being careful to start exactly where he had before. One, two, and shoot.

 

I risked a quick glance over at Key. He had looked up from his book and seemed to be assessing the situation. I guess he realized the guys weren’t serious because he went back to reading.

 

“Minho!” I yelled.

 

“What?!” answered an exasperated Minho, ready to demonstrate again in case we hadn’t fully appreciated his point yet.

 

“Dude, they’re joking.”

 

Minho stared at me, with his mouth open and his saucer eyes, for a two-count before Onew and Taemin finally lost control, collapsing on each other in peals of laughter. Soon, everyone else joined in.

 

“They’re just messing with you, Minho. It was two,” I assured him.

 

Minho nodded, feeling validated, then took the opportunity to lob the ball into the stands where it beaned Taemin off the shoulder.

 

“Ow!” Taemin grabbed his arm, hamming it up. “It was Onew, not me,” he laughed. Onew was too far gone to respond, wiping tears from his cheeks.

 

Decorum abandoned, the game began wrapping up. Eunhyuk clapped Minho on the back. “Good game, man. I’m going to grab a shower,” he said, pulling off his t-shirt. He pointed at Minho: “Soccer—here, Wednesday, after school.”

 

He flashed Minho a 100-watt smile, and between that and the ripped abs, I found myself fully grasping the dazed look Krystal had sported in the caf. He had angular features that could be intense one moment and cheerful the next. And he was built. God, the definition. It made the rest of us look like scrawny teenagers, which of course we are.

 

My eyes followed him as he jogged across the gym to the change room. And then my mind followed him into the shower, with thoughts of suds running down his lean body. I shook the image away and wandered over to Taemin.

 

“So...Eunhyuk. That’s him, huh?”

 

“Yep,” said Taemin, getting up to leave.

 

I trotted along beside him. “So...uh...tell me about him. Did you know him much when he was here?”

 

“Yeah. I mean, we weren’t in the same circle—he’s four years older than us. He graduated the spring before you moved here. But his family lives next door, so I’ve known him forever.” Taemin leapt down off the bleachers. I sat on my and slid after him. “He moved away to university two years ago.”

 

“Next door? Wow. How come you never mentioned him?”

 

“I dunno. I guess I haven’t seen him much since I’ve known you.” Taemin stopped walking and squinted his eyes suspiciously at me. “What’s with all the questions?”

 

I could feel my face getting red. “He’s...kind of gorgeous, huh?”

 

God, yes. You should see him ,” Taemin said, on the move again.

 

“What?!” I trotted to catch up. Taemin and his stupid long legs. “Whoa, whoa, whoa,” I said, grabbing his arm and turning him toward me.

 

Taemin curled his hand in front of his mouth. His cheeks were round, and his eyes curled into little crescents above them. “I shouldn’t say,” he whispered.

 

“Nuh-uh, Taemin. You don’t get to drop that piece of info and then move on. Details.” I curled my fingers, gesturing for information.

 

Taemin looked around. “OK, fine. C’mere.” He pulled me into an empty classroom, pushed the door shut, and leaned back against the chalk ledge.

 

“Well,” I prompted impatiently.

 

“His bedroom window’s opposite mine, OK? And he never used to pull the blinds down.”

 

My jaw dropped open. “You stalker! You used to spy on him?” I sat down on the nearest desk, and it creaked in protest.

 

“Look, he’s beautiful, OK? And a lot older than me. And...I was...curious. I was, like, nine when I first spotted him.” Taemin gestured at me. “Tell me you would have looked away.”

 

“I totally would have. Taemin, you have no shame.” I shook my head disapprovingly.

 

“You would not!” Taemin moved forward and shoved me just hard enough to set me off-balance. I slid to my feet.

 

“Nope, one of us isn’t a .” I held up my palm to him.

 

“You’re such a liar.”

 

I laughed. “OK, OK,” I admitted. “So, how many times did you see him?”

 

“I’m not sure.” Taemin bit his lip and looked up at the ceiling like he was mentally doing the math. “Maybe...every day for about five years?”

 

“What?! Taemin, you must be kidding.”

 

“Well, maybe not every day because he sometimes undressed after I was asleep. But most of the time I managed to wait up for him. I was tired for years,” he joked.

 

The school bell rang.

 

“! I’m going to be late for math! Miss Park’s already annoyed with me for earlier.” Taemin opened the door and hurried to leave.

 

I grabbed his hand. “Hang on. You’ve got chalk dust all over your ,” I said brushing it off.

 

“Now who’s the ?” Taemin grinned and took off down the hall.