Once Upon A Night

Thailand Prince’s Love Story

 

 

That night, in Seoul, the first snow poured down from the dark sky. Near small crossway, a guy in brown jacket and jeans was leaning outside the public phone booth. It seemed that he was waiting for someone. After a while, the sound of steps could be heard, getting nearer. A figure of a girl with long hair was seen, the girl was running in her purple sweater, approaching the guy.

“Sorry, I’m late! I was caught in an argument with my mom. Well, you know how persistent my mom is.” The girl said and then lets out a little laugh. She warmed the night with her gentle laugh. But somehow the atmosphere was vague.

The guy straightened his posture as he said, “It’s alright. I just came, too, Victoria.” He didn’t look at the girl in the eyes. It seemed that he had something heavy loaded his mind.

Victoria stared at the guy as she wondering what could possibly happen to him. It’s not his usual self. The guy Victoria knew had a really cheerful personality and the only time he’s being like this was when he imitated one of his friends who are really stiff. Inside, she felt afraid.

“So…” She said slowly, she wanted to spend her time with the guy as many as possible. “What do you want to talk about, Nichkhun?” She continued as she kept staring at the guy, her heart kept beating faster.

“I think this relationship can’t work out anymore.” Nichkhun said in somehow sad tone. Victoria’s heart might had stop beating for a second. The guy barely looked at her in the eyes, he looked away. There was something in Victoria’s eyes that could not bring him to look at them. It might be despair.

“Wh-why are you suddenly saying something like that?!” She asked, she couldn’t understand. She couldn’t understand how their two-year long relationship would possibly meet its end like this.

“You knew already. We are different. You’re from some kind of rich family, while me? I can’t even take you out on a date like everyone else, a date that requires some money to spend.” He said. He kept looking away.

“I don’t care. You know we are different from the beginning and you know that I never care about that. That has never stopped us from falling in love with each other. I don’t need any extravagant dates. I just want to be with you because I love you. You should have understood that.” She said impatiently. What she feels now couldn’t be described. She just didn’t want this to end.

Nichkhun finally looked at her in the eyes as he said, “I know that. That’s not the main problem. You know our parents will never understand, they will never approve our relationship.”

“We’ve been talking about this and you even said that we could run away and be married somewhere far. You said no one could ever take us apart. Don’t you remember that? Why did this thing come out again?”

Nichkhun was in silence. He did remember everything clearly what he ever said and promised to the girl. But he answered her, “That was a childish thing. We are getting older now. You should know that it’s not possible. I want you to be happy. It’s hurt every time I see you walking with me knowing we are never going to be together in the future. Knowing how the longer we are together, the more it will hurt.”

“Childish you said? That was something I always smile to every time it crossed my mind. Y-you! You even promised that you will be with me forever, how can you deny your own promises?!” Victoria's eyes are hot, they had filled with tears. She didn’t think that the person she loves all this time will ever leave her, with this reason too.

Neither Nichkhun nor Victoria was talking. They had drowned to their own thoughts.

“Tell me the truth.” Victoria asked Nichkhun. Nichkhun was staring at her. “Tell me the truth! There’s no way you would break up with me because of that. I know something like that would never stop you. Stop telling excuses. Tell me the truth.” She repeated.

Nichkhun was in hesitancy but he answered her anyway, “You want the truth? I’ll tell you the truth.” The conversation which was sad and confusing had turned to a conversation filled with anger. “I am in love with someone else.”

Victoria couldn’t believe what she just heard. Nichkhun had calmed down and decided to say something that wouldn’t hurt her even more. “Listen, I didn’t mean to end it this way, I’m sorry that …”

“Stop. Just stop. Don’t say anything anymore.” Victoria said as she tried to not explode.

“Please listen, I…” Nichkhun stop talking as Victoria landed an anger slap on his cheek. Nichkhun did not surprised by that, he know she would do this eventually. Every girl normally would. He touched his slapped cheek, it felt warm.

Victoria’s anger turned into deep sadness, her tears broke. “Why should I have feeling towards you? Why does this relationship should begin in the first place if you will eventually leave me?! How could you do that?”

“Well, Junsu hyung’s have a crush on you for a long time, why don’t you just turn to him?” Nichkhun’s heartless suggestion has made Victoria’s heart hurt even more, but she couldn’t be sadder than she already did, her heart had broken into pieces.

She can’t say anything anymore. She felt numb, in the heart and in the body. The snow rain got heavier and she only wore thin clothes. She was really happy that Nichkhun wanted to meet her that after went into argument with her mom she went out in hurry.

In the middle of the snow rain that grew heavier. Nichkhun came closer to Victoria that was wiping her tears and hugged her tightly. The girl that was being hugged could only be silent. Nichkhun hug’s warmness made her a little calm. But the fact that he would leave her and how he had broken her heart in pieces pierce her.

He broke the hug as he said, “Here take my jacket, you are going to be sick. This night is so cold.” He placed his jacket over the girl’s shoulders. But the girl threw his jacket and walk away. Here, their relationship was started and ended. Victoria left Nichkhun there, wished that the memories would left too. But it’s impossible, isn’t it?

Nichkhun stood there alone. He picked up his jacket and stared at it. He knew he deserved this, it could’ve been worse.

***

When he was fourteen years old, he accidentally bumped to Victoria when he was walking near the public telephone in the middle of the warm air of spring. That time, the meeting of the two persons begins everything. Then, during the summer, Nichkhun confessed his love in that place too.

Sometimes they went dating secretly, but their relationship was finally uncovered, too. And of course they never succeed in getting the blessing from their parents, but Victoria’s encouragement is what made him stayed strong. Even though she was also getting reproached, she never wavers.

Remembering that, Nichkhun quickly snapped his thought and walked his way to home. For him, that memory was really hard to throw away, no matter how much he wanted to

Meanwhile, Victoria, who had just arrived at her house, immediately went to her room. She opened a photo album containing his memories with Nichkhun. When Nichkhun gave his first chocolate, when Nichkhun took a trip with her to amusement park, when she was treating Nichkhun after being scratched by the neighbor's cat, when she gives the first cake she made, all of them are really difficult to forget.

Victoria quickly closed the album and went out to her back yard. Without even thinking, Victoria asked Amber and Luna took kerosene and firewood. The fire was burning high under the rain snow. Victoria was about to throw it to the fire when Amber touched her arm softly as she asked, "Victoria, is it really okay to burn that photo album?" Amber seemed worried.


Victoria’s mind was chaotic, between sadness, anger and frustration. She handed the photo album to Amber and she said to her, “I trusted this photo album to you. Burn it.”

 

Amber was in confusion. “Me?” She asked as she facing the fire crackling under the rain of snow.

 

Victoria walked away. She was thinking to herself. Although he hurt her so bad she could die, she still couldn’t bring herself to burn that photo album, at least not by herself.

She heard something fell and burned. It’s over.