Prolog

Bloodlines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Devin was on edge, he had been for the past week. He couldn’t shake the feeling that something big was about to happen. Last weekend he’d been hanging out with his best friend Jessica and some of her friends when she’d dared him to put on a little magic show for everyone.
They had all been out partying and everyone, including him, was a little drunk, so he’d thought what the heck, why not? He was glancing around for inspiration when he spotted it. Leaning up against the wall of an old mom and pop shop was a broom and when he pointed it out to Jessica she had nodded her head and laughed.
They all giggled as they watched with rapt attention as he took the broom and laid it on the ground before positioning his feet on it like a person riding a surfboard. In the next instant he was floating and then flying in circles around the group all the while keeping his balance despite his slightly drunken state. He mimicked a surfer and did tricks in the air, the sound of cheering filling the air.
That was when he spotted the man watching him. He was tall, wearing dark clothes and a brimmed hat that hid his features. For some unknown reason the man made him nervous.
The next day and every day since he’d had the feeling that he was being watched and he didn’t like it.
He was on his way to work when he suddenly felt another presence appear behind him. Whirling around ready to fight if necessary he comes up short at the sight that greets him. A huge black dog with blazing blue eyes stood watching him. He’d never seen a dog so big.

Relaxing only a little he says, “You startled me you silly dog. You shouldn’t sneak up on people like that.” Turning his back on the dog he resumes his walk to work, the big dog walking next to him the next instant. He chuckles before reaching out and patting its’ giant head. “All right, you can walk with me, but once we get there you’ll have to make yourself scarce okay.”

Ten minutes later they had arrived and Devin was getting ready to send the dog away when he turned to fine that the dog had already vanished. “Well that’s new,” he says before heading inside to work.

The bar was pack that night

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter