Beautiful

In the Name of Love

Characters: Oh Hayoung, Oh Sehun, Wu Yifan, Kim Namjoo, Do Kyungsoo, Yoon Bomi

Pairing(s): Hayoung x Sehun, Kyungsoo x Namjoo

Genre: it's not really fluff but it kind of is; school!au; very cliché

Rating: pg-13 for swearing, ual reference

I’m so lucky to have met you.
If we meet again, I want to tell you,

Fly to you, stay by my side,
You’re beautiful.

BEAUTIFUL - BAEKHYUN

"What do you want?" Hayoung said into her phone with a sigh. Namjoo calling her at 9 o' clock at night could never be a good sign.

"Well, hello to you too," her best friend replied, feigning offense. She paused. "Hey, how'd you know I want something?" 

Hayoung shook her head in disbelief. "Because we've been friends for 6 years? Just get to the point."

"Hayoung-ah, don't say no until you hear me out, okay?" she said cheerily. 

Hayoung suppressed a sigh and agreed, "Fine."

"There's this party at Bom—" 

"No," Hayoung cut her off. There was no way she was going to a party, especially not Yoon Bomi's party. Hayoung had nothing against Bomi—the third year girl seemed nice enough—but the people who went to her parties were a different story. Hayoung wasn't feeling up to spending hours surrounded by drunk people—at least not tonight—they had school tomorrow. 

"Aw, come on, Hayoung-ah! Winter break's over. This is the last party... please please please..." Namjoo whined.

"That's exactly why I don't want to go! School starts tomorrow, in case you forgot!" she protested. 

Namjoo was silent for a moment. Hayoung knew she was pouting. She could picture it in her mind. 

"Just go without me," Hayoung said more gently, even though she knew Namjoo hardly went anywhere without her. They had been attached at the hip since they were 10 years old. It just didn't feel right when it wasn't the two of them.

"Hayooooooooooooung-ahhhhh pleeeeeeeease. I want you to go with meeeeeee," Namjoo's voice was starting to take on the aegyo tone that Hayoung despised, mostly because she found it even harder to say no—not that Namjoo would take no for an answer anyway. 

"Fine," she agreed reluctantly. "But I'm leaving the moment I feel like it." 

"YAY!" Namjoo yelled, causing Hayoung to shrink away from her cellphone. "Pick you up in 10!" she heard her best friend call into the phone.

Hayoung hung up and slid off her bed. She dug through her closet to find something to wear before settling on a simple black mini dress. She settled down into her chair to do her makeup and wait for Namjoo. When she received the text that Namjoo was outside, she grabbed her purse and went out to meet her. The first thing she asked when she got in the car was, "Are you going to drink? Do I have to drive you back later?" 

"Ayy... don't worry, I won't drink tonight," Namjoo reassured her.

Hayoung raised an eyebrow at her in response, not fully believing her friend.

"Kyungsoo-oppa is going to be there, and I can't have him seeing me drunk, now can I?" Namjoo's eyes were shining, and she was looking towards the sky, clearly thinking about her crush. Kyungsoo was a year older than them, a second year. He and Namjoo were in the same drama class, and she was head over heels for him. No wonder she was so persistent about this party, Hayoung thought, smirking to herself. 

"Stop daydreaming," Hayoung snorted. 

Namjoo glared at her. "Whatever," she said, before driving off toward Bomi's house. 

The second they to Bomi's street, they could already hear the music blasting. When they entered the house, Hayoung recognized it as iKon's "Rhythm Ta". 

"Let's dance!" Namjoo screamed at her over the music and dragged her into the living room, where it seemed like half the student body had gathered to dance. There was hardly any room, and they hadn't even been dancing for more than two songs before Namjoo shrieked into her ear, "KYUNGSOO-OPPA IS HERE!" 

Hayoung shook her head at her and mouthed, "Go." Namjoo shot her a look that was looked apologetic and grateful at the same time. Hayoung watched as her best friend bounced off. She decided she needed some space, so she made her way out of the congested living room and into the kitchen. 

The kitchen counter was filled with bottles and bottles of beer and soju. There were barely any non-alcoholic beverages in sight. Hayoung figured that if she was going to last at this party, she would have to be a little bit tipsy. She settled on pouring herself three shots of soju and downing them instantly. Then she went out to the patio to get some fresh air, sitting on one of the lawn chairs and watching people play in the pool. 

She was beginning to feel the effects of the alcohol when a deep voice said, "Hey." 

She looked up to find Wu Yifan—everyone just called him Kris—the captain of the basketball team and a third year, looking down at her. "H-hey," she stuttered in response. So good-looking. 

"What's your name?" Kris asked, flashing her a smile that made her knees weak. 

"H-hayoung. Oh Hayoung," she replied.

"You're beautiful, Oh Hayoung," he said. 

Hayoung's cheeks were already burning from the alcohol, but his remark set them on fire. 

"Can I have this dance?" he asked when she didn't say anything. He held out his hand to her, a dazzling smile on his face. Oh, what the hell? she thought, before taking it and letting him lead her to the dance floor. They moved their bodies to the music, perfectly in sync. Hayoung couldn't belive that she—of all people—was dancing with Kris. 

It wasn't like Hayoung was a stranger to male attention. It had started in middle school—her body had started developing way before her classmates, causing her to be subjected to leering and catcalling from young boys all the way up to old men. She was in high school now, but she was only getting curvier—the jeers from her peers increasing as well. 

But Kris seemed different. Everything about him was charming. The way he smiled at her, the way he held out his hand for her, the gentle way he led her to dance floor—she felt like she was floating. 

After a while, he leaned towards her and whispered, "Want to go somewhere more private—so we can get to know each other?" 

Hayoung nodded, her head feeling light from all the dancing and the effects of the shots she had taken earlier. 

Kris lead her towards the stairs, but before she could take a step up, she felt a hand close around her wrist, keeping her in place. She turned her head to identify the culprit, her eyes widening in confusion when it was someone she didn't know. He was tall, handsome, with light brown hair and a sharp jawline. He looked familiar, but she didn't know his name. He was frowning, his striking eyebrows furrowed, and his dark brown eyes harboring a cold, hard glare—directed at Kris.

"What the , dude?" Kris asked angrily, glaring at the other boy. Hayoung clocked recognition in his eyes—these two knew each other. 

"Don't you dare," the other male growled in response, before yanking Hayoung out of Kris's grasp before standing in front of her.

They bristled at each other. Hayoung could see an unspoken argument going on between them through the looks they were giving each other. 

"Just leave me alone, dude!" Kris protested. 

"Not. Her," was all the boy in front of her said. 

Are they... fighting over me?

Hayoung was starting to get annoyed. "Do one of you wanna explain what the hell is going on?" 

"Nothing, baby," Kris reassured her with another one of his charming smiles. 

"Shut the up!" the blonde boy yelled at him.

Hayoung's head was starting to throb. She was so done with this party—done with these two fighting over her like she was some prize to be won. 

"Forget it, I'm going home," she said, turning to leave before either of them could stop her.

She heard Kris say, "What the ?" She didn't know it was directed at her, or at the blonde boy. She didn't turn back to see. She didn't care enough. She walked faster, looking for Namjoo as she headed for the front door.

She spotted Namjoo on the porch, in Kyungsoo's lap, practically devouring his face. She curled her lip in disgust. Not wanting to interrupt her best friend's moment, she strided past them, deciding to walk home. It was only a few blocks away anyway. 

She texted Namjoo, "Don't worry about me, I'm on my way home. Have fun! ;) See you tomorrow at school. Don't oversleep!" 

***

The next day, Hayoung was at her locker, when Namjoo came barreling towards her. Her best friend grasped her arm and panted, "Is it true?" 

"What?" Hayoung was bewildered. Namjoo's eyes were wide. She looked frantic. 

In between breaths, Namjoo sputtered, "Is...  it...  true...  that you... almost... hooked up... with Kris?" 

"No? I mean—what? I met him at the party, but we just talked and danced?" Hayoung replied.

A look of relief washed over Namjoo face. She let her breathing slow down before she said, "Oh thank god." 

"What are you talking about?" Hayoung raised an eyebrow.

"Hayoung-ah. Do you know Kris's reputation?"

Hayoung shook her head in response.

"Kyungsoo-oppa told me that his friend, Chanyeol—he's also on the basketball team—told him that Kris tries to hook up with any girl he can. Especially first years. It's some kind of sick game he plays, so he can brag about it to his friends." 

Hayoung's eyes widened. She let out a bitter laugh. No wonder. She shuddered at the thought of how close she was to falling prey to his game. She felt so stupid— she should have known better. She replayed the scene in her head. Her now sober mind was realizing that his smile had been just a bit too charming—it was bordering on greasy. His lines that had charmed her last night now just seemed rehearsed and tired—he'd probably used them on dozens of other girls. 

She groaned. "I'm never drinking again," she muttered miserably. 

Namjoo hugged her. "Hey, at least nothing happened." After she pulled back, she said, "Hayoung-ah, I gotta go, Kyungsoo-oppa wants to meet me before class. We really hit it off last night! I'll tell you about it later!" 

Hayoung nodded, calling a weak "Bye..." to Namjoo's departing back figure. She was distracted, thinking about the blonde boy that had interrupted Kris and her before he could take her upstairs and—do whatever it was Kris wanted to do to her. She gagged at the thought.

Hayoung felt numb. Maybe she had misread the situation. Maybe that blonde boy was just trying to help her. There was no way of knowing. Not unless she saw him again.

She didn't have to wait that long.

At lunch, Hayoung was eating with Namjoo and Kyungsoo in the cafeteria when the blonde boy in question walked right in.

Ah, that's why he looked familiar. 

She couldn't help but stare at him as he got in the lunch line, scrutinizing him—trying to figure out why he had intervened yesterday. He seemed to have noticed because after picking his tray of food, he looked directly back at her, causing her to shrink back and look down awkwardly. 

After a few seconds, when she mustered up the courage to look up again, she found that he had walked closer and was standing near their table, still staring intensely at her. She stared back at him, and he nodded towards the cafeteria door before walking towards it. 

He wanted her to follow him.

She waited a couple seconds after he had disappeared through the cafeteria door before getting up and announcing, "I have somewhere to be," to Namjoo and Kyungsoo, who were too busy in their own little world to even notice.

To her credit, Namjoo did mumble, "Okay."

Hayoung shook her head and got up, shoving the last quarter of her burger into before throwing the empty tray away. She walked over to the cafeteria door and took a deep breath before stepping out, where she found the blonde boy down the hall, leaning on the wall and munching away at his own burger. He greeted her with a head nod, and she pursed her lips before walking towards him.

"So," he started when she reached him. "What's up?" 

Hayoung looked at him incredulously. "You're the one who was like—" She micmicked his head nod.

He snorted in response. "And you're the one who was staring at me like you had something to say!" 

"Uh—" Hayoung opened to protest, but stopped when she realized he had a point. Fair enough

He beamed at her like he was proud of himself.

Hayoung glared at him. "So, what are you? Some kind of ed up guardian angel?" 

"Ah... so you know..." He ran his hands through his hair. "Aren't the words you're looking for 'thank you' then?" he asked, putting his face close to hers. 

She ignored him, playing it cool—but her rapidly beating heart suggested otherwise. "W-why didn't you just say something instead of playing tug-of-war with my arm?" 

"Would you have believed me?" 

Hayoung opened to say yes, but realized that would be a lie. "No," she said begrudgingly, unable to meet his eyes. 

"Exactly. You still would have thought we were fighting over you. Plus, I can't just be going around telling everyone how much of an I think my teammate is." 

She didn't know what else to say, so she blurted, "You're on the team?" She realized that he was good at making her speechless. And she didn't like it—not one bit.

He looked at her like she had just shot him. "Yes..."

"Sorry... I've seen you before though! Like at school! But I've never been to a game! So... I don't even know your name..." she trailed off and cringed internally when she realized she was babbling. 

To her surprise—and relief—he smirked. "But I know yours, Oh Hayoung. Come to the game tonight if you want to find out mine," he said before walking away.

Hayoung was too stunned to say anything and could only watch lamely as he walked away.

He stopped and turned back to add, "And if you're really thankful!" He smiled at her again, and then he was gone. 

Hayoung stared down the hallway at the corner he had disappeared behind for a long time—trying to catch a breath she hadn't realized he had taken away.

***

Against her better judgement, Hayoung found herself back at school in front of the gym, where she could already hear the school band playing and the cheerleaders chanting for the basketball team. She slipped into the gym silently, finding a seat on the bleachers, behind the cheerleaders—one of which was Namjoo. 

After what was probably their 20th different cheer—Hayoung couldn't believe there was that many ways you could craft 'Go Team!' or 'Fighting!' into a chant—the cheerleaders finally sat down. Hayoung nudged Namjoo's back with her foot, causing the girl to spin around and go, "What the f—Hayoung?! What are you doing here?!" 

"Hey." 

Namjoo scrambled up the bleachers to sit next to her. "You never went to any of the games before! Even when I begged you to come watch me cheer..." she grumbled. 

"You're doing great." 

"Don't change the subject! Why are you here? I know it's not to watch me cheer, since you said 'I can watch you at class assemblies' last time I asked you." 

Crap. Hayoung knew she was caught, but before she could say anything, the gym erupted in chaos with the entrance of the school basketball team.

"Tell me later!" Namjoo yelled, jumping back down the bleachers to join the rest of her squad in welcoming the team. 

Hayoung breathed a sigh of relief. She didn't have any idea how to explain to Namjoo that she was here to find out some guy's name.

She was interrupted by the casters starting to introduce the athletes. Hayoung rolled her eyes in disgust at Kris's introduction. You forgot to add boy to that description.

She was chuckling at herself when the caster's voice boomed through the speaker again, "AND THE MVP OF LAST SEASON... OH SEHUN!" 

The crowd lost it, girls shrieking and guys whooping and hollering. She craned her neck to see, and saw the blonde boy jogging across the court towards the bench where his other teammates were currently chatting with the cheerleaders. 

Oh... Sehun? His name is Oh Sehun. 

Before he sat down with his team, he looked around until his eyes finally landed. On her. 

His face broke into a smile, and he gave her a little wave—kicking her heart into overdrive. 

In an instant, his teammates and the cheerleaders all snapped their heads back to see who he had waved at—all eyes were on her.

Hayoung wanted to hide. She looked at Namjoo, whose eyes were widening as she mouthed, "Oh Sehun?" 

Hayoung gave her a little shrug in response. 

The instant Namjoo was allowed to, she flew up the bleachers so fast Hayoung was sure she had hurt herself.

"Hayoung, what the hell? You and Oh Sehun? Why didn't you tell me?" Namjoo hissed in her ear. 

"There's not much to tell. I didn't even know his name until now," she replied.

"What?!" 

"Remember when I left at lunch today?"

"You did?" she asked, confused.

Hayoung rolled her eyes. "Well, maybe if you and Kyungsoo-sunbae weren't trying to devour each other you would have noticed!" 

"Sorry! Go on." 

"Basically, the reason I didn't end up going anywhere with Kris is cause Oh Sehun got in his face, so I left because I thought they were fighting over me. I went to talk to him at lunch to—" Hayoung stopped. Thank him? Clear things up? She suddenly realized that she didn't follow him with intentions of doing either. She had followed him thinking he wanted to talk to her.

She had ended up talking to him because she chose to.

Just like she had ended up at this game.

"To what?" Namjoo interrupted her thoughts.

"To... thank him, I guess. I told him I didn't know his name, and he told me he knew mine... and that I had to come to the game if I wanted to thank him... and find out his name," Hayoung said, muttering the last part.

Namjoo smirked. "Ooh, he likes you." 

"He does not!" Hayoung protested hotly.

"Sure, but you owe me five bucks if he asks you to hang out after the game!" Before Hayoung had a chance to argue, Namjoo jumped up and called out, "Gotta go!" 

Hayoung watched as her friend darted back down the bleachers to join her squad, who were getting ready to do the half time show. She watched her friend dance and shimmy on the court. Hayoung smiled and made a mental note to come to games more often to watch her. 

Seeing Oh Sehun would just a fortuitous bonus.

Hayoung didn't really understand basketball, but she could tell the team was doing well by the scoreboard—her school was sitting at a comfortable lead of 20—and the fact that the gym was constantly exploding into wild cheering more often than not.

Before she knew it, the game was over and people around her were starting to scramble out towards the exit. Hayoung stayed seated, not wanting to get caught up in the crowd. She watched the basketball players shake hands with the other team before heading towards the locker rooms—except Sehun, who jogged up the bleachers towards her.

"Hey," he said when he reached her. His unexpected detour had caused everyone to start to stare at the two of them. 

"Hey..." she mumbled, visibly uncomfortable. 

He leaned in close—close enough that she could see every bead of sweat dripping down his face—to whisper in her ear, "Wait for me in front of the library." He ed something into her hand and said, "Here—you'll need this." Hayoung looked down at the item. It was his jacket. Before she could reply, he had already jogged back down the bleachers. 

Hayoung sighed as she stood up, then pushed past everyone staring at her to the exit. She made sure no one was still watching her before sneaking deeper into the school towards the library. She examined Sehun's jacket, which had 'Oh Sehun' written on it in large letters. I can't wear this!

She tried to fight the cold by wrapping her arms around herself, then jogging in place, then curling up into a ball on the floor. Finally, she gave up and put on the jacket. "Where the hell is he?" she muttered to herself.

"You look nice in that jacket." 

Hayoung whipped around to find Sehun smirking at her. She glared at him, too annoyed at being physically frozen to feel nervous. "Why? Cause it looks like I belong to you?" she snapped sarcastically.

Sehun looked taken aback by her outburst. "No, I just think you look nice... but now that you mention it..." He was smirking again.

Hayoung wanted to smack that smirk off his face. "What took you so long?! And what do you want anyway?!" 

"I had to shower. And come on, let's talk in the car," he said, before reaching out to grab her hand and gently leading her toward the parking lot.

Hayoung was too flustered by his bold action to protest, letting herself be lead. They reached the car, and she finally came to her senses, wriggling her hand out of his grasp. "Who said you could hold my hand?!" 

"I was just trying to warm it up," he smirked. "Get in," he said, opening the car door.

Hayoung was too cold to argue and got in immediately. He got in as well and drove off. 

"So how'd you even get yourself in that situation?"

He didn't have to clarify for Hayoung to know what he meant. "He's attractive, and I... I may have had too much to drink," she said quietly. Her face flushed with embarrassment. 

She expected Sehun to flaunt his rescue of her, but he surprised her by simply saying, "I'm glad nothing happened to you." 

She gaped at him, but he didn't seem to notice. "M-me too." 

They stopped in front of the convenience store, where Sehun went in for a couple minutes and returned with two drinks. 

"Here, your orange juice," he said, handing her a bottle. It was her favorite brand of orange juice.

Hayoung raised an eyebrow. "How did you know I like this orange juice?" 

"Because you always drink that—"

"Huh?" 

"I-I mean... I just g-guessed," he stammered, trying to backpedal.

Hayoung narrowed her eyes at him. "How do you know me?" 

"I should be asking you to answer that question," he retorted.

"What does that mean?!" 

"Let me tell you a story—" 

"Okay, but what does that have to do with—"

"Just listen!" he snapped, grabbing her face and turning it, so she was looking at him. "Please," he said more quietly. 

Hayoung nodded.

"So there was this kid in middle school. He was pretty fat... practically obese. Kids would make fun of him all the time, calling him names—basically making his life a living hell. He never wanted to go to school anymore." His face contorted in what Hayoung recognized as pain. She placed a reassuring hand on his arm. 

He continued, "This kid sat alone at lunch every single day. One day, this girl came and sat down with him. And do you know what she said?" 

Hayoung suddenly realized where this was going. The girl he was referring to was her. He was talking about the third year she had befriended her first year of middle school. One day, Namjoo was sick and Hayoung had no one to sit with at lunch. Seeing him sitting by himself, she decided to sit with him. They had struck up a friendship, and she had invited him to sit with her and Namjoo every day. They had lost touch when he graduated middle school. She was told he had moved. She was only left with his name—Oh Sejoon.

Hayoung quietly replied, "If I sit with you, will you stop looking so sad?" 

Sehun smiled. "You remember." 

Hayoung was still confused. "But, where's Sejoon-oppa? Are you like... his cousin?" she asked. 

Sehun's face fell. He rolled his eyes. "You're looking at him, idiot." 

"Eh?" 

"I changed my name when I lost weight. Wanted a fresh start." He looked at her intently. "Seemed to have worked, since you don't even remember me," he grumbled. 

"Y-you look... different," she stuttered defensively.

"Yes, Hayoung-ah, I'm aware. Exercising—and puberty—does wonders."

Hayoung smiled. "Thank you, oppa." 

He looked surprised. "For what?"

"For protecting me yesterday." 

He scoffed. "That's nothing!" His voice got quieter and he added, "Compared to what you did for me."

"I just—"

"No, you don't get it. I was so lost until I met you. I felt worthless, like no one gave a . You were the first person who saw who I really was... and I missed you so much. The first time I saw you again was the first day of school."

"Why didn't you say something?"

"I... you... you got prettier," he muttered, looking away.

Hayoung laughed. "Thanks."

"When you showed up at that party, and Kris tried to take advantage of you, I couldn't let him," he said, his jaw clenching. "I thought you would recognize me, but you didn't."  

"Can you blame me? You grew twice as tall, you changed your hair, and you even changed your name!" she protested.

"I guess you're right." Sehun turned back to Hayoung. "But some things never change." He leaned in across the console and planted a soft kiss on her lips.

Hayoung was frozen, even after he had pulled away.

"Can you blame me? I was like 13, and you were the first girl who was ever nice to me." 

Hayoung couldn't say anything for a long time, still dizzy from the kiss. Sehun stared at her, a look of concern starting to cross his face. "Hayoung-ah? I'm sorry if I was too forward, I didn't mean to—" 

Hayoung finally found her voice and cut him off, "I'm glad I was." 

Sehun's face broke into a grin. "I've been waiting a long time to see you again." 

"Now that you're here, are you gonna tell me where you disappeared off to all these years?" 

His grin widened. "Of course! But there's something else I've been wanting to say..." He leaned in and kissed her again, longer and deeper this time. After pulling away, he whispered against her lips, "You're beautiful." 

A/N: I had this idea in my head and then I finished this and then wondered why I wrote it because it's so incredibly cliché.

Oh well, I'm releasing it bc maybe someone will like it.  

Enjoy~