Chapter 7: Put the blame on me

Whose fault is it anyway?

A/N: I just noticed i forgot my regular pre-story author's note!! *gasp* jkjk~ i finally finished my damn JLPT exams!! yay!! next is my driving theory exam @.@ 2010 is like exam year for me or something *faints* anyhow~ this chapter is on the short side (compared to my other chappies) hope you like it~ and once again, many thanks tiffyjjang for the banner! oh~ and if you don't mind, drop a comment~ just like to know if you guys are still alright with the story or are there other stuff i can work on to improve it!

with that outta the way~ On to the good bits!

================================================================

   There was something fundamentally wrong with the concept of taking Kim Ki Bum, Kim Jong Hyun, Kim Yun Ri, Nick Chung and placing them in a closed-off environment, together. But somehow that was exactly what the situation is right now. Ki Bum, Jong Hyun, Yun Ri and Nick sitting together in the same car, and of course the other three members of Shinee were present as well but as some people will put it, it is a different world in the back seat.

  Exactly 20 minutes ago, Young Soo had met the group in the lobby, told them that Nick will be taking his place today while he went to attend some business meetings for SM in Taiwan and left them in this precarious situation. ‘What would you guys like to have for lunch?’ Nick finally broke the silence. Ki Bum shuffled in his seat and looked away, blatantly ignoring him, Jong Hyun sighed and squeezed his boyfriend’s shoulders as a sign of comfort. Following her cousin’s example, Yun Ri continued to take photos, ignoring Nick’s question, which left the decision to the three sitting at the back.

  Lee Jinki had never in his 22 year old life thought that deciding what is for lunch could be stressful, until today, ‘Uh…as long as it’s not xiao long bao, right guys?’ He tried for a lame joke. At the recording yesterday, Show Luo had told them that there were other delicacies in Taiwan that they should try besides xiao long bao, which happened to be Shinee's model answer for any food related question in Taiwan. His lame attempt at humor fell flat, predictably as he was the only one who laughed, awkwardly at that. Next to him Tae Min clapped his hands together as if he had a brilliant idea, which he did, ‘How about that chicken dish that Yun Ri noona brought back last night!’ Or so he thought he did.

  Anxiety suddenly began to build in the car as everyone, especially Nick, looked at Yun Ri expectantly. Tae Min made a face at his own stupidity for causing another situation that forced their photographer to interact with their new assistant manager. ‘鹽酥雞(Taiwanese style fried chicken),’ Yun Ri replied without looking up from her camera. Nick nodded, ‘Ah that, no problem, I know a good store nearby that sells set lunches with that. I heard you guys like bubble tea as well, would you like that to go with your lunch?’ Ignoring the irresponsive centre row, Nick took the nodding heads of the three seated at the back seat as affirmative.

  He then switched to Chinese and very obviously, directed whatever he said to Yun Ri, ‘你不介意陪我去買當吧?那麼多份我一個人拿不動(You don’t mind accompanying me to buy lunch do you? There too many lunches for me to carry by myself.)’ Ki Bum glared heatedly at Nick despite not knowing what he said; Yun Ri had stiffened at Nick’s question which to Ki Bum, was all the reason he needs. Finally taking her eyes off her camera, Yun Ri locked eyes with the assistant manager and replied in Korean, ‘Yes, I mind. You could do single-hand push-ups with me sitting on your back, I doubt 7 lunch boxes and a couple drinks will be heavier than me.’ Smile faltering, Nick shrugged and turned to stare at the road, letting the unsettling silence reign in the car.

  A random thought striked Jinki’s head, something he never though he would think, ‘Blame the fried chicken…’ Collectively, with the chicken in mind, everyone in the car let their thoughts drift back to the night before.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashback

Ki Bum’s POV:

  I, for the lack of a better word, sulked, in the hotel room after being forcefully dragged back by Young Soo hyung. There was guilt nibbling at the edges of my heart, anger simmering beneath my skin and utter annoyance at my boyfriend, in short I feel like . When I saw Nick’s face through the sea of fans, it felt as if I was hit by a ton of bricks, literally. The man who had hurt my cousin, my family was there, next to her, smiling as if he did nothing wrong, but that was not what set me off. I admit, I was venting the anger I had towards myself on Nick. I was angry that I was so caught up in this little melodrama of mine that I was completely oblivious to Yun Ri and what I had asked of her. I had asked her to come back to this…this place of nightmare, just because I wanted to hide from Jong Hyun, who isn’t even giving me trouble anymore. It’s one thing to be self-centered, I know I’m self-centered, but another to be selfish, and the moment I saw Yun Ri’s fear-stricken face when Nick appeared next to her, I knew that I had went beyond selfish.

  Then there was Nick Chung, the man who had probably for better or worse, traumatized my cousin in the world of love, probably for life. He had the nerve to smile at her and extend his filthy hands towards her like NOTHING HAPPENED. I remember clear as day that I had specifically told him that I never want to see his face, especially not anywhere near Yun Ri, ever again; but there he was, flirty grin and in all his glory, standing there. It took her 3 weeks, almost a month to recover from the damage he had given her. While I am not the most apathetic person around, seeing your cousin act like nothing but a living zombie strikes a chord in you. It was terrible, listening to her crying at night when she thought I was asleep, the sounds were heartbreaking, but the most painful part was how hard she tried to hold it all in and keep it down, the sounds of the controlled sobs that she tried so hard to reign in that leaked out the door every night. For 12 days, I lived with that sound, yes I counted. And watching her just staring lifelessly at her wall, the fear that she will forever stay this way was overwhelming. He had almost ruined her, and even now, behind her smiles and headstrong attitude, she was still hurting, still struggling to recover. I know, because until now, she still can’t bring herself to use the word ‘oppa’. Then just when she is on the road to recovery, he comes crashing back in again, threatening to break her into pieces. According to Young Soo hyung, Nick had PURPOSELY requested for this job because he found out that Yun Ri was coming. I would have forgiven him if it was all coincidence, but alas, that would have been too good to be true.  

  But no matter how much I wanted to blame Nick, I knew that it, this, was my fault. If I had not coerced Young Soo into forcing Yun Ri to come to this place, then she would have been out of his reach for good, or at least, until she was ready to face him again. I am angry at myself, angry and disappointed that I let this…interlude, affect me so much that I forgot about one of the most important people in my life. This isn’t the Kim Ki Bum I know, I even toughed out SM training, how could I let one Shin Se Kyung and Kim Jong Hyun turn me into this selfish...bastard? I am better, no, stronger than that, than THIS.

  And then, there was worry for Yun Ri, is she ok? Will she go back to being that lifeless…thing again? Will she do something stupid that will get her killed? Where is she? ‘Baby, Yun Ri’s a strong girl, she can look after herself, heck, the door in our dorm is still broken because she kicked it down…’ Jong Hyun tried to joke while giving me a hug from behind. I wanted so badly to drown myself in his scent, his touch, but I can’t, because…’*buzz* Oh, sorry  babe, my phone…um can I?’ Jong Hyun gave me a troubled look, I cast a glance at the phone that was charging on the table, the words Se Kyung flashing across the screen. I nodded glumly, I would be the better person, the stronger person. I knew it was too good to be true that ever since we stepped off the plane, Jong Hyun had not once picked up a call or replied an text message from Shin Se Kyung, of course not, his phone was out of battery. Now that it’s charged again, it’s back to pleasing princess Se Kyung...just as I was about to give in and forgive him. ‘Hey Jagiya…’ His melodic voice echoed in the room. Yes, I’m definitely annoyed at him.

  In some sort of sick retribution that is rationalized in my head and my head only, I took out my phone and begin to message Yun Ri. If he's going to be talking to some girl, then so am I. “I’m fine, don’t worry, just looking for my mojo. I’ll be back.” She replied. A small part of my worry relaxed itself, though a larger part of me became twice as worried. Yun Ri looking for her mojo usually involves soju, lots of it. Jong Hyun switched on the TV, waiting to tune into our Hello Baby that was being broadcasted in Taiwan. The English lyrics of the song for a commercial pierced my ears, ‘You can put the blame on me…’ Yea, you can.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Young Soo’s POV:

‘You’re back,’ I said, trying to keep my surprise to a minimum at the sight of the girl standing at my door. ‘Chicken?’ She asked, holding up several plastic bags, I moved aside to let her into the room. After sitting down and taking out a small bag of fried chicken from the plastic bag, she motioned for me to sit too. ‘Have you told Ki Bum that you’re back yet?’ She shook her head, ‘I decided to come here and talk to you first.’ Part of me wanted to tell her to go to Ki Bum’s room now and inform the worried idol she’s back safely but another part of me knew that if she did I would probably not hear whatever she had to say to me. ‘What do you want to talk about?’ ‘I would like to apologize for the trouble and commotion I caused today at the recording, as well as for running off like that; it was inconsiderate and selfish of me. I just needed to clear my head and get away from the problem. Though in hindsight, since I’m the cause of the problem, me leaving was probably the best idea. I’m still sincerely sorry about my actions though.’

  I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t shock that the girl in front of me was apologizing for her actions, she didn’t seem like the type to care if she gave people problems, if her actions with regards to Ki Bum were any indication. She kicked down a door, a freaking door. Girls aren’t supposed to be able to do that. ‘You don’t seem like the type to give a damn about causing people trouble.’ ‘I’m not, but I’m getting paid to be here and when I’m hired to do a job, I will jolly well uphold my responsibilities.’ Inwardly, I smiled, Kim Yun Ri isn’t as bad a person as I thought she was, outwardly however, I decided to torture her some more.

  ‘Indeed. The reason why you’re here to is to help keep Ki Bum in check; instead you just exasperated the situation more.’ I anticipated her reply, ‘True, so what, are you going to send me packing on the first flight back to Seoul?’ She looked at me with amused eyes and somehow I knew, she has seen through my “bad person” façade, I sighed and laughed, ‘So what are these tokens of your apology?’ I pointed to the chicken, she smiled, ‘Nope, that’s just supper.’ I could not help but laugh, this girl was amusing. ‘Don’t worry, it’s not your fault. Ki Bum blew up after seeing Nick and last I checked with him, he personally requested for this job just to see you?’ She nodded at my question, I continued, ’so if it’s anyone’s fault, it’s his, actually who is he? To you I mean.’ ‘He’s my ex,’ Yun Ri replied with a bitter smile, I nodded understandingly, ‘I take it Ki Bum doesn’t like him much.’ She laughed out loud, ‘Ki Bum doesn’t like him, period.’ I laughed along with her and for a moment we just sat there in a weird but comfortable silence.

  Then she spoke up, ‘Right, about my “job” here to “keep Ki Bum in check”, I was wondering if you could do me a favor.’ I looked at her, a little confused, ‘What?’ ‘Could you, um, somehow remove the Se Kyung factor?’ It took a lot of my willpower to not laugh at the term “Se Kyung factor”, where does this girl come up with these things? ‘What would you like me to do?’ ‘Confiscate Jong Hyun’s phone,’ She said. Actually, I was planning on doing that, it was a suggestion by Min Ho when we were discussing how reduce the causes of Ki Bum running away to his cousin’s house. Yun Ri must have mistaken my amused silence as doubt because she took out another pack of chicken and placed it on the table, ‘Please!’ Unable to uphold my façade anymore, I , ‘I thought you said those were supper?’

  A look of realization dawned on her face as a unspoken understanding passed between us, then she smirked, ‘This,’ she picked up the first bag of chicken, ‘is supper, this,’ she picked up the second bag, ‘is bribery.’ At that we both burst into another round of laughter and right then the doorbell rang. ‘Yun Ri, is that you?’ Ki Bum’s voice rang through. ‘Young Soo hyung, I saw Yun Ri noona walk into your room, she’s there right?’ Tae Min’s voice followed. The two of us exchanged smiles, I nodded and she went to open the door, ‘Hey guys, I bought supper, who wants?’ As the 5 boys of Shinee piled into my room, with Tae Min chattering excitedly about the food, Min Ho and Jinki smiling happily at the maknae while Yun Ri got nagged at by her cousin much to the amusement of Jong Hyun, a thought that I never expected to cross my mind, crossed my mind. ‘So this is how a family feels like.’

End flashback

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  ‘We’re here.’ Nick said to the occupants of the car. Like well-seasoned soldiers, or ducklings, whichever you prefer, they filed out of the car. The crew’s minibus pulled up next to their van and formed a protective barrier around Shinee that was tighter than usual. Though the faces of the 5 idols were all smiles, Yun Ri knew, from her world beyond the lens, that they had donned their masks and grabbed their spears. They were going, to war.

  Inside the function room, members of media and press flocked to the entering idols in ways fangirls would be ashamed to, all trying to get a piece of Shinee, literally. Slinking into the sea of cameramen and journalist, Yun Ri pushed for a good spot near the back, where the spare chairs are. Although as Shinee’s personal photographer, she had the rights and a reserved spot right by the stage, her competitive spirit drove her to situated herself amongst other photographers; she would take great photos without the extra perks. Yes, them children of the Kim family are proud people. Seeing their faces hardened with bright smiles, Yun Ri pressed the shutter and let the camera run. There was something wistfully beautiful about the 5 boys that shone through the ocean of treacherous tabloid writers and media personnel, like jaded angels shining through from the pits of hell. Their eyes that perpetuated determination to brave any storm decorated their blinding smiles, and a storm was most definitely headed their way.

  ‘So Jong Hyun sshi, we heard that you are now opening dating actress Shin Se Kyung, would you care to share more about your love life?’ And the storm came. Suddenly, the camera shutters stopped, the bustling journalists stopped and the shining smiles of Shinee faltered for just a second. Even Nick, who stood behind them seemed to tense up. Anticipation built up in the room and from her perspective, Yun Ri could see that all the press members had their grubby paws ready, claws extended and hungry faces, poised to strike, waiting to pounce on any word that they can milk for the night’s tabloids. Then in a split second, ’snap’, Yun Ri pressed down on the shutter of the camera, the sole click of her shutter resonated in the room as the brightest, sweetest, most sincere smile broke out on Jong Hyun’s face. ‘I’m sorry, this press conference is to promote Shinee’s activities in Taiwan; my humble love life has nothing to do with today’s discussion.’ His voice rang true and steady in the room, everyone got the hidden message behind his words, ‘ off from my personal life.’ Quickly, the claws and fangs retracted and the press once again put on their sheep’s clothing, secretly disappointed at the loss of their prey. And almost expectedly, a few more questions later, war was over, Shinee had won and the defeated press quickly left the room. It was obvious; there would be no spoils to be shared today.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  One guilt ridden Ki Bum and gloomy Jong Hyun picked at their lunch boxes, lunch boxes that Nick and Yun Ri had brought back. Yesterday, Yun Ri had masterfully avoided buying lunch with Nick, but with Young Soo returning to duty today and the entire crew asking for lunch, the photographer was not so lucky this time. As for Jong Hyun, the press’ sheer hunger and leering looks on their faces about his love life at the press conference the day before still lingered fresh in his mind, reminding him just how much SM and his dirty little stunt had affected Shinee. Next to Ki Bum, Yun Ri wolfed down her lunch mechanically. ‘I see that you lost your table manners along with your brown curls,’ Nick joked. 4 glares sent his way immediately shut him up. Jinki and Young Soo exchanged glances and sighed, undoubtedly stressed at the tension in the band, the recording for 綜藝大國民was due to start in 30 minutes. Nick got up and made his way to host of the shows, who were looking at the group with worry in their eyes and began to mingle, lightening  the situation.

  ‘At least he’s doing his job,’ Min Ho commented. A wry grin crept on Yun Ri’s face followed by the rest of Shinee choking. Yes, you know something’s wrong when Choi Min Ho tries to joke off-screen. ‘Min Ho, it’s too early for you to put your MC skills to use, the camera isn’t rolling yet,’ Jinki admonished, or tried to. His follow up joke obviously fell flat, but the effect was obvious, Tae Min began chewing on his food more comfortably, Jong Hyun snapped out of his reverie and Ki Bum gave his signature eye-brow raise. The group exchanged looks and broke out into the familiar song, 'Whatever he does is the Onew condition~' Mumbling something along the lines of, ‘Man, I really got to learn how to do that,’ which Yun Ri overheard and actually giggled (much to Ki Bum’s surprise). Young Soo took his cue to seal his part of the deal with Yun Ri.   

  ‘Jong Hyun, please give me your phone.’ Dumbly, the lead singer handed his cell-phone over. ‘From now until further notice, your phone has been confiscated,’ Young Soo said in an authoritative voice. Too shocked and confused about Young Soo’s actions, Jong Hyun failed to note the happy grins that all the member, including Ki Bum tried to hide. ‘Why?’ ‘Although the little…publicity stunt,’ Young Soo chose his words carefully, ‘was orchestrated, to keep up appearances, the company has decided to carry out certain, demonstrative measures, though it is a little early, I feel that it is better to start early than late so as to not rouse suspicion. If you want to blame, blame the company.’ Young Soo explained, then seeing the fried chicken in Yun Ri’s lunch box, he picked up a piece and munched on it, much to Yun Ri’s displeasure, and added as an afterthought, ‘Oh and the chicken, blame the fried chicken.’ (Flashback: ‘This,’ she picked up the first bag of chicken, ‘is supper, this,’ she picked up the second bag, ‘is bribery.’ )Yun Ri burst into a choking fit from laughing with full. Seeing his cousin’s laugh, coupled with the temporary removal of his source of annoyance, Ki Bum smiled while patting his cousin’s back which caused a chain reaction in Jong Hyun, who also smiled, that led to the entire Shinee to break out in grins.

  So yes, recording that day was a little off, Ki Bum seemed a tad distracted than usual and Jong Hyun was not all smiles and goofy grins, but it could have been worse. Slowly but surely, the Shinee family was putting the pieces back together.   

  In a corner of Jinki’s unfinished fried chicken lunch box (which he was forced to abandon due to recording commencing), if fried chicken could talk, then you would most likely hear it singing to the tune of, ‘Put the blame on me.’

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Whee, a semi-filler. Yes I wanted to skip right to the juicy part of the fan party, but I figured that it seems like a rush to the ‘’, I need to build the situation a little more. So I decided to write this, a little more light-hearted and (hopefully) insightful chapter. I’m a er for details so I like to lay out all the details before rushing head first into the drama, which will most definitely be in the next chapter! YAY!! JONGKEY DRAMA!! Next chapter is where all falls in place!! Jongkey shall be reunited for good! Yun Ri will finally face her fears! Shinee will finally come together as one and battle the evil forces! (what evil forces?) Right in case you guys haven’t noticed, I’m actually quite a comical person =P writing such a serious story for extended periods of time is hard on me, I need to inject a little craziness here and there (hence the birth of this chapter). Hope my goofiness hasn’t put you guys off or derailed the story too much.

Please look forward to the next chapter!

Thank you for your support!

 endlesssky