The Distance

Lost Memories

Words: 1046

Genre: Fluff/Angst

Description: Jisoo has left for LA for a week to visit his family. He didn't expect to miss him that much, didn't expect for it to affect him this much. I mean, they had never really been apart for that long before. Their texts seemed so distant. Their phone calls so unreal. It was tearing him apart. He needed to see him. Him.

 

~~

 

“Jisoo what are you doing dazing off? If you were just going to stare at your food, we could have just ate at home,” Jisoo is snapped out of his thoughts at his mother’s sudden outburst. Looking up from his food, he noticed the strand of worry within his mother’s eyes.

 

“I…” Jisoo sighed heavily, “I’ve just been really out of it, I’m sorry Mother,” Jisoo reached across the restaurant table to hold onto her hand.

 

Of course he was out of it. He had spent so much time with him by his side, how was he supposed to forget about him for this short week and act like they had nothing?

 

“You’ve been working in Korea constantly, and when you finally get the chance to relax, you can’t even do that?” Jisoo’s mother laid her utensils onto the table with a chink. “Let’s head back,” She sighed as she rose to her feet.

 

“Ah, Mother,” Jisoo leaped to his feet to catch up to his mother, the distance between them in the restaurant widening. God, I can’t believe I messed this up.  “Mother!” Jisoo gripped onto his mother’s arm as they exited the restaurant, clusters of people crowding the busy streets.

 

“Jisoo…” He towered over his mother as they stared into each other’s eyes, when was it that he had grown this tall? How much time had passed while Jisoo was working?

 

“Mother, I’m sorry. I don’t know what else to say,” Jisoo exhaled sharply.

 

“Jisoo, you know I’m not mad at you,” Her eyes softened and Jisoo’s grip loosened. “I’m just worried.”

 

“There’s nothing for you to be worried about, I just have a lot on my mind.” That was a lie. There was only one thing on Jisoo’s mind. Only one person.

 

His mother sighed. “I get it, let’s just head back.”

 

On the car ride back, Jisoo didn’t even notice himself staring blankly at the black screen of his phone, waiting. He didn’t catch himself flipping past all the pictures on his phone, smiling to himself about the other person in the photos. He didn’t notice, or didn’t care when his mother pulled her view from the road to glance worriedly at him.

 

It wasn’t like he didn’t care for his mother. She was his mother, he loved her to the end of the world. It’s just that he loved him to the end of the universe. And he missed him so much.

 

~~

 

The moment his mother stopped the car, Jisoo felt his heart pound, his fingers fidget, felt his feet take flight as he pushed himself out of the car and jammed the number one speed dial on his phone. He threw open the door to his home and closed the door his room. His stomach rising itself, dropping itself, and doing the whole cycle over again with each ring of his phone.

 

“Hello?” Ah, this was the voice Jisoo had been waiting to hear all day, the voice that calmed his nerves and soothed his heart. “Jisoo, is that you?”

 

“Yeah, it’s me,” Jisoo bit his lip, voice close to cracking.

 

“I missed you… how was the lunch with your mom?”

 

“I…” Jisoo’s voice trailed off, “I kind of messed it up,” He sighed and drew his fingers through his tousled hair in frustration.

 

“Oh my god, why? What happened?”

 

“I couldn’t stop thinking of you… oh my god I’m such a horrible son,” Jisoo could hear his mother’s footsteps from beyond the door of his room.

 

“Jisoo, you’re not a horrible son,” the voice on the line was so soothing, “you’re just a son in love. You’ve been holding out really well you know? You’re coming back tomorrow so just try to spend the last day with her okay?”

 

“I-I know, it’s just…” Jisoo leaned against the door of his room and slid down to the floor. “I couldn’t help it. I’d be paying attention and the next thing I knew I’d be staring at a picture of you.”

 

“...”

 

“Hey, you still there?” His grip tightened on his phone, the small charm on his phone jingling.

 


“Jisoo if you could see my face, you’d think I was a ripe strawberry.” The voice was uneven and quiet, but Jisoo himself could feel his face grow red.

 

“I can’t wait for tomorrow, that sound bad doesn’t it?”

 

“Not at all. I miss you.” Quiet, and then, “I should go Jisoo, I have to practice. Come back safely.”

 

“Take care…” Jisoo whispered into the phone, “I love you,”

 

~~

 

-Thank you for booking your flight with us, welcome to Seoul-

 

Jisoo scrambled to his feet the moment the seatbelt sign turned off and immediately got his bag on his back. He never thought he’d be that person, he considered himself a patient person. But this was different.

 

He can barely remember getting off the plane, or running as fast as he could to immigration and customs. He clearly remembered being frustrated at the length of the line or the delay of the release of baggage. And he vividly remembered exiting the automatic sliding doors, noticing the absence of fans because of his secret escape to LA, and scouring the crowd of people for the one person he was waiting for.And there he was. Long hair hooked behind his ears. The nostalgic smile. The world in his eyes.

 

“Jeonghan!” His yell echoed in the bustling airport, he dropped his suitcase and nearly tripped at how fast his feet took him. The embrace was exactly how he had imagined it. Nostalgic smell flooding his nose, a unique smell that could only belong to one person. The warm hands tight around his back.

 

“Jisoo…” His voice soft, causing his ears to tingle. It was different from the voice on the phone. It was so real, maybe because it was.

 

“I-I missed you so much Jeonghan ah…” Jisoo hiccuped, barely able to hold back his tears.

 

“Jisoo… what if a fan sees us?” Jeonghan tried to pull away but Jisoo held on tight.

 

“Let them see, let them see how much I love you,” The corner of his lips curling.

 

“You idiot…” Jeonghan sighed and nuzzled his head into Jisoo’s chest. “I missed you.”


“I missed you too. And I love you, Jeonghan. I love you.”