Alternate Ending #2

After All These Years, You're Still The Same

“I’ll make it right, I promise Hoon.” He whispers, mentally preparing himself for what is going to happen soon.

 

 

Chanyeol wakes up with a familiar empty feeling in his heart and gut. He slowly climbs out of bed, still half asleep, and pats the other side of the bed. “Baek, it’s time to get up.” Hearing no answer, he pats the side again. “Baek?” Now he is fully awake and sees that no one is on the other side, he brushes it off though. “Maybe he is already up and around.”

 

He slowly exits the room and staggers down the hallway, wiping the sleep from his eyes. He takes a left and walks through the dining room to get to the kitchen. The lights are still off and nothing seems messed with. No coffee in the pot, yesterday’s newspaper still on the table, but an envelope sitting on the corner. Chanyeol picks it up and reads the fine print.

 

To PCY

 

Confused, he tears it open and pulls out a paper folded into thirds. He unfolds it and begins to read. A tear slips down his face.

 

 

            Dear Park Chanyeol,

 

 

 

            I’ve known you for far longer than you realize. I’ve known you throughout your many past lives, back to when you were Park Hoon.  This was many generations ago, when I wasn’t plagued with guilt. You see, for the past 500 years I’ve been killing you so that I could live forever. It’s selfish, I know that. But the last time I did that, I thought you weren’t ever coming back so I ‘retired’ and focused on living instead of hunting you down.

 

            But ever since two years ago, the day I hired you from the ad, I had my suspicions. It wasn’t until the nightmares began that I realized, just last night, that you were the one. I must admit, it I hadn’t of gotten to know you, I would’ve killed you on the spot. But I have gotten to know you. You are kind, thoughtful, dumb, and a loud snore-er. But I wouldn’t trade that for the world.

 

            But now I cannot run from my past, it’s time to make things end. I’ve had a good run, I can’t say the same for you but now it is my time. After 500 years, Chanyeol, I am letting go of my life for good. Who knows if I’ll come back? But I want you to know especially that you have my thanks for making me realize how selfish I’ve been.

 

Sincerely,

 

 

 

 Byun Baekhyun