Returning to the Family

Searching for a Family

A/N: That moment when you check your written chapters in the notes of your phone and notice that you wrote two chapters of the sequel but not the actual story... I'm quite surprised that I didn't lose all my subscribers because of the long wait. Thanks for sticking around!

Anyways here I present to you the second chapter! Enjoy


„In two hours?“ Himchan screeched. „What do think we are? Magicians?”

Heechul chuckled nervously as he was faced with a fuming commander. “Well, maybe, because your special force shouldn’t even be existing.”

Himchan raised his arms into the air exasperated. “Jongup, get the keys.” He turned around and stormed out of the room soon followed by the youngest of the group.

The engineer stared at them confusedly. “Where is he going?”

“To the Central Head Quarters.” Youngjae replied while getting up.

Daehyun was on his feet as well and turned to their leader. “Boss?” Without much explaining or asking the leader just nodded.

“Well, let’s get going”, Youngjae announced. The engineer got even more confused at this statement.

“Where to?”

“To the robotics lab of course.” Youngjae supplied willingly.

Heechul followed the group as they walked out leisurely. Fast paced they marched over the training field nodding to passing soldiers who were running from one training tent to another. Heechul was the odd one out, looking like a lost puppy and not understanding at all what was going on.

“But isn’t Himchan going to request for Zelo to be added to your group?”

Youngjae snorted. “Hyung, do you really think that we’re magicians? I thought you’d be smarter.”

“Yah, don’t talk so disrespectful to your hyung. Just explain.” Heechul smacked the scientist’s arm hard. Youngjae winced and ran ahead. Outraged at the scientist who was behaving like a brat the engineer followed setting a rapid pace for the rest of the group.

“Himchan is never going to get through to the higher-ups on time.” Daehyun explained, pitying the engineer who had to deal with his sharp-tongued best friend. “Firstly, because he needs some time to get there and secondly, even though Himchan has special privileges because of his project he can’t just walk into any office and state his demands. And if you want an appointment with the General you definitely need to request it in advance, go through all the secretaries, paper work, security and other stuff until you get there. We’re just going to save some time by going to the Lab ahead of time so that we can act immediately as soon as Himchan succeeds in convincing the General.”

Youngjae snickered and Heechul raised his eyebrows.

“Going ahead of time to the engineering lab so you can get an android out which is going to be wiped clean in two hours while waiting for the go signal which will come in after weeks?”

Daehyun grinned. “Exactly, you’ve got it! Just don’t tell Himchan.”

“I think he’s going to find out on his own.” Youngjae laughed.

“Stop here”, Yongguk suddenly grumbled. Without them noticing they have arrived in front of the building housing the tech department with all its sub-departments. Yongguk’s special force promptly sat down, leaving Heechul standing confused among them.

“What? First you want to get Junhong out of there and then you just relax here?”

As answer the group just made itself more comfortable even scooting around to find the best sitting position. Heechul just scoffed and looked around as if searching for someone to explain it to him.

“Calm down, buddy,” Daehyun reassured him, “we’re just giving Himchan a little time to act. If he’s late we’re going to go forth with our plan.” With that he lied back down into Youngjae’s lap, earning an outraged cry from the latter. With the bickering of the two friends as background noise the wait began. They were in a sort of park or lunch spot so it wasn’t out of the ordinary to see a group of soldiers sitting in front of the building and enjoying their break.

Heechul could feel most of their time slip through their fingers before the leader’s voice interrupted all the conversation in the group.

“Let’s go.”

They immediately got up on their feet leaving an edgy Heechul sitting there.

“Don’t you want to wait for Himchan a little longer? He might come any second now.” He proposed.

Youngjae snorted disbelievingly at that: “You didn’t even expect Himchan to get done talking with the General and now you want us to wait? Do you think we can just get in and get Junhong out in the blink of an eye?” Youngjae didn’t even wait for Heechul’s response and ranted on. “You said two hours, so we’re going in now.”

Daehyun gave Heechul an apologetic look as Youngjae stomped off. So the group slinked in the general direction of the building leaving the engineer behind. The latter just sighed and trudged after them a lot less cautious and not even trying to avoid the security cameras. Youngjae hissed.

“Do you want to make it harder for us? It’s already disadvantageous that we have to come during the day when everybody sees us but you don’t need to give them physical evidence as well.” But before Heechul could retaliate and remind Youngjae that he doesn’t know their plan of action and the exact position of the cameras for that matter Yongguk spoke up.

“No, let him in the open. He’ll distract them.”

“Will I?”

A stern look from Yongguk shut the cheeky engineer up. He sighed again and shrugged his shoulders before walking past the group into the building making a beeline for the receptionist.

“My dearest Hani, how are you doing today?”

He leaned over the counter with his elbows on it and his head supported by his hands. He threw a blinding smile towards the receptionist who just sighed.

“My dearest Heechul, whatever you’re going to ask of me, I won’t do it.” She smiled sweetly before she continued to sort through her files.

Heechul let out an exasperated cry.

“Why do you always think I have an ulterior motive?”

Hani raised her eyebrows at that. “Do you remember that one time you bought coffee for me so I would ask the secretary for the Boss’ schedule?”

“That was one time!” Even though Heechul started to state excuses to get back in the receptionist’s favour she wasn’t listening anymore and ignored everything around herself to get her work done. Not further noticed by anybody the group walked right past the desk further into the building. They strode through the halls with purpose as if they belonged in there. Funny enough nobody questioned their presence because everybody thought that Hani let them through. Way easier than it should be possible they reached the engineering lab. When they stepped in they were surprised that only one was present. But then it was break time, so the engineers were probably all somewhere else enjoying their free time, since it’s a scarce commodity on the military base.

The lone engineer looked up from his work caught by surprise. The first seconds were reigned by silence as the engineer tried to comprehend the situation and return to the world of social creatures. But before he could find his words Daehyun had sauntered over.

“Hey buddy”, he greeted cheerily, “we’re here to visit Heechul hyung.”

Totally panicked by the cheery figure breaking into his personal bubble the engineer stuttered around.

“Wha-… How…? Kim? Uhm…”

Recomposing himself and scooting a little back the engineer took a deep breath as Daehyun still hadn’t moved from his spot and was still grinning widely at the poor guy.

“E-Engineer Kim isn’t here.”

Youngjae snorted at the engineer for stating the obvious but got promptly shut up by his friend who had stomped on his foot. Daehyun smiled apologetically and slinked closer to the work space.

“Please excuse my friend. He ate something strange for breakfast and had been off since.” – That earned him a glare. – “So we decided to ask Heechul hyung for advice since he has experience in that. Not about the eating-something-strange-thing but about being off, you know?”

The confusion was evident on his face as the engineer asked himself how he got himself in such a situation. It’s not like he did something bad, most of his time he was in the engineering lab. So what did he do to get punished like this?

Daehyun smiled even broader, if that was even possible and chattered on: “Anyways, back to the point. Do you, my dear friend, know, by any chance, where Kim Heechul might be?”

The other, creeped out by Daehyun’s dazzling smile, gulped and re-established the distance between himself and the peculiar group.

“H-he’s pr-prob-ably in the canteen.”

Daehyun nearly jumped over the desk to throw himself at the poor guy.

“Oh no! I need a badge to get in there, don’t I? So I have to wait for Hyung.” He fake sobbed. “But it’s of vital importance that I speak to him.” Totally creeped out now the engineer fought himself out of Daehyun’s grip and took numerous steps back.

“I-I c-could get him for y-you.”

Immediately Daehyun beamed and clasped the other’s hands.

“You could do that for me?”

A few reassuring nods and shaky smiles later they were alone in the room.

“You always go way overboard”, Youngjae commented while typing away on his phone.

“You always have to get into someone’s personal space for them to want to have as much distance between yourself and them. Something about the rule of maximising the distance between matter, I think.”

Youngjae shook his head.

“The only thing missing is snogging.” The scientist shuddered.

Daehyun laughed.

“Well, my plan worked. Anyways did you take care of the security cameras in this room?”

“You’re lucky that they don’t do voice-recordings and that I already put the visual of our conversation on loop, otherwise we’ll be in deep for your blabbing right now.” Youngjae put his device back into his bag.

As if on cue the three marched further into room always keeping an eye on the door so as to be prepared for any intrusion. Their eyes flitted over every nook and cranny. They opened different doors peeking inside and slipping in while someone stood guard outside. Only after they had opened the last door were they greeted by a happy squeak.

“Appa!”

A gentle and raspy “Hyung” was heard as a reminder before Yongguk scooped the little toddler into Youngjae’s arms. Smiling the robot put his chubby arms around the scientist while the latter fumbled with the cables and unplugged them one by one.

A few minutes later Youngjae stepped out of the laboratory with Junhong hoisted up in his arms while he tried to type on his phone. However before he could reach the doors to the public parts of the building footsteps were heard and he had to slip through another door to avoid being discovered.

Shortly after Youngjae had closed the door, Professor Lee and his assistant entered the lab. They both froze at seeing the two intruders leaning against the tables. The Professor frowned. Without a chance to ask them what they were doing here Daehyun had already greeted him cheerily as if it was the most natural thing for them to be in the lab.

“Professor Lee! Fancy seeing you here! How are you doing?”

The frown deepened.

“Mister Bang, Mister Jung, what are you thinking you’re doing here?”

“We’re waiting for Heechul hyung.” Daehyun replied with a big smile. Right on time the engineer from before stepped into the room followed closely by Heechul. Daehyun shouted delightedly: “Heechul hyung! There you are! We were already wondering if you forgot about our date.” Heechul was speechless for a moment but as soon as he laid eyes on Lee Soo Man he let out a nervous laugh.

“Yeah, well, sorry Dae, I forgot, but I’m here now.”

“You really forgot!” Daehyun pouted. “Let’s go now! You have to talk to Youngjae, he’s behaving strangely.” With a small wave Daehyun bode goodbye to the Professor and took both Yongguk and Heechul by their arms and led them to the exit. They had nearly reached the automatic gates before they were stopped.

“Stop.”

Professor Lee’s voice wasn’t loud but something about the way he said it made the group freeze on their spot. They didn’t turn around but that wasn’t necessary as Lee Soo Man strode around them while scrutinising the three.

“May we help you?” Daehyun inquired with his signature smile. The Professor wasn’t fazed and looked them up and down for further agonising minutes. Finally he shook his head.

“You may go.”

As soon as they made their first steps towards the exit another engineer stormed into the room flailing his arms around frantically.

“Intruders! Intruders!” He stopped when he saw Yongguk and Daehyun.

“Oh.”

He looked from Professor Lee to them and back again.

“Intruders as well?” He asked.

“Intruders?” The Professor made a sign for the engineer to elaborate.

Completely caught by surprise he opened his mouth a few times before he flailed his arm in the direction of the door.

Now voices were heard demanding to be let go and a few moments later Youngjae was shoved into the room. Junhong still clung to the scientist and looked around intrigued.

At this sight Lee Soo Man turned to Yongguk with a cold glint in his eyes.

“Well?”