Chapter Seven

Monstrosity

Jimin woke up with a sore side, her eyes opening slowly. She saw a blurry face and rubbed her eyes to clear her vision but widened her eyes when she saw a familiar face, she sat up so abruptly that the soreness turned to pain, making her groaned in pain whilst holding her side. “Eat.” He said and walked away making Jimin blinked in confusion. What?

 

She got off the bed painfully slow and he let out a soft sigh, walking back and helping her. He made porridge and had already set the table 10 minutes ago. He wanted to wake her up, but she was starting to wake up on her own so he just waited for her to be fully awake. Both of them sat at the table, and Jimin was genuinely surprised at how good the porridge looked. She did not expect this. Then again, she wasn’t expecting anything from him. 

 

Instead of eating though, she was looking at the man before her eating. He noticed her staring but couldn’t be bothered to ask what the problem was. Instead though, after he finished, he looked back at her and asked, “Are you not going to eat?” He asked, his dark eyes piercing into Jimin’s curious pair. She wasn’t able to make out what kind of person he was. She witnessed him killing 2 innocent lives just last night but here he was, treating her like a patient and even nursed her back to health.

 

What the hell was he? Good or bad? 

 

“Why are you still here?” Jimin asked, genuinely curious. She had expected him to leave as soon as she fell asleep. Imagine the shock that she was in when she saw his face as soon as she opened her eyes. Taeyong didn’t answer and just kept looking at her, folding his arms and resting them on the dining table.

 

“Are you not worried that I would call the police on you?” Jimin asked another question when she realized that Taeyong wasn’t going to answer her.

 

“Wouldn’t someone find those 2 dead bodies in the alley and call the police? I think there was a CCTV around too.” Jimin continued asking while Taeyong stared at her, unexpected amusement filled his eyes but his expression remained stoic.

 

“I mean; wouldn’t you be arrested by the police if you were caught? They’ll track you down.” She asked again and pursed her lips when Taeyong answered to none of her questions.

 

“Eat.” He simply said and Jimin gave him the eye that told him that he was being unbelievable but he wasn’t the least bothered by it. Instead though, the corner of his lips tugged upwards for a few seconds before going back to being stoic. That slight movement didn’t go unnoticed by Jimin though. She felt like all the annoyance that she had for him vanished just by that small tug of his lips. She just gave him a smile before eating the porridge that he made.

 

“How did you know how to cook porridge?” Jimin asked, as she ate the porridge which was unexpectedly as good as it looked.

 

Taeyong just kept staring at her before he decided to answer. “I cook for myself when I have to.” He simply said and Jimin nodded, as she continued eating. He looked like he lives alone, so it was kind of a given that he had to help himself. That was what she was thinking, which was partially true.

 

After she finished eating, she continued asking her questions. “I’m serious though. Why didn’t you leave the house when you could? What if I call the police on you?” She asked, her folded arms across her chest. She looked at him, looking extremely serious. Anyone would’ve called the police after getting shot at and having witnessed murder.

 

“Would you?” He simply asked and she felt her heart dropped momentarily. Speechless. She let out a sigh and shook her head ‘no’. She couldn’t even if she wanted to. He was her patient, so she didn’t have the heart to call the police on him. And the scars that he had had always flashed in her mind. The pain that he had gone through shouldn’t be rewarded with a confinement. He murders, but he must’ve had his reasons right? He did say it was a mission, so he was just some sort of a hitman or assassin. The real culprit would be the one giving him the mission. So, why punish someone who was just receiving orders.

 

“And why wouldn’t you?” He asked when she shook her head.

 

Jimin just gave him a lop-sided smile and stood up. Going to the sink to wash the dishes. She didn’t give him an answer. Taeyong leaned against the counter beside her with his arms folded across his chest. Still waiting for the answer. He needed to hear the answer, he also wanted to hear it. Jimin dried her hands when she finished washing and turned to the fridge to get some water.

 

But as soon as she opened the fridge door, the door was forced back close making her turned her body around in annoyance only to be greeted by Taeyong’s body. She gasped and took a step back, her back hitting against the fridge door. “Why wouldn’t you?” Taeyong asked, bending down to match her eye level. She swallowed the saliva that had accumulated in to quench her dry throat. Her heart starting to beat fast.

 

“Not wouldn’t. I couldn’t.” Jimin said, looking down. His dark eyes starting to overwhelm her, not only that but he was too close for her comfort. If it was Jaehyun, it would be fine since she had always been this close to him, but for Taeyong. God, he could still be considered as a stranger, or maybe an acquaintance? 

 

Taeyong tilted her head up with his index finger under her chin.

 

“Why couldn’t you?” He changed the questions and Jimin’s pupils visibly shook. Both fear and nervousness starting to overwhelm her. Taeyong was unpredictable. He was like a ticking bomb that could blow up any moment. He had once tried to kill her, there was a chance of it happening again. So, just why couldn’t she call the police on him. Why was she worrying about him?

 

Where have she seen those pair of eyes from?

 

Instead of answering to his question, she asked, “Have we met before?”

 

That got him. He visibly stoned and his eyes widened a little. She had learnt a little of psychology before so she knew what this meant. He was taken off-guard. They’ve met before. But where and when? Jimin frowned, thinking hard. Searching through her memories for those pair of eyes. But the only thing she could think of was now and the time he nearly bled to death.

 

“You should take two-days off from school. You’re having a fever.” Taeyong simply said, taking a step back making Jimin sigh in relief. Finally getting back her personal space. Jimin looked up at him since he was a whole head taller than her. She was just at his shoulder.

 

Beating question with a question. Jimin was evidently amused at that thought and just chuckled making Taeyong looked at her, confused. Jimin shook her head, “Are you worried about me now?” She asked when she remembered Taeyong’s advice of staying at home. Taeyong seemed taken aback by that question even more so than the previous one. His reaction was undoubtedly bigger.

 

His eyebrows were creased and he took another step back while Jimin just looked at Taeyong with curiosity. “Are you crazy?” He asked and Jimin just gave another chuckle before turning her back against him and continued with what she was about to do previously, drink water.

 

Jimin was starting to feel amused since she had received a lot of different facial expression from Taeyong compared to the previous time she was with him. He didn’t seem all that emotionless, she could tell that the stoic facial expression was one to deal with negative emotions like pain and anger. Today, she found out that Taeyong couldn’t hide positive emotions like amusement and surprise.

 

“I’m leaving.” Taeyong said as Jimin put the bottle back into the fridge after taking a gulp.

 

“Wait.” Jimin said and pulled Taeyong to the bed, making him look at her despite letting her drag him to the bed. Jimin sat Taeyong down on the bed and pulled his shirt up, taking him aback as he pulled his shirt back down but Jimin let out a hiss, giving him a glare. Taeyong froze at that glare.

 

Jimin looked down and saw that the stab wounds have already recovered and turned to scars. She nodded in satisfaction but blinked when she saw marks on his sides. It looked like it was all the way up from his back. She stood up and was about to go behind Taeyong and look at his wounds but he stopped her, pulling her back down on the bed.

 

“Let me go.” Jimin said, trying to pull her hand free but Taeyong had a firm grip on her hand.

 

“You don’t want me to see the wounds on your back?” Jimin asked as Taeyong’s dark gaze locked on her worried ones.

 

“You shouldn’t.” Taeyong simply said and Jimin frowned at his answer. Was it that bad? She was a doctor; she was sure that she could somehow help him. She had seen people with an amputated hand, or have something impaled into their limps. She had seen worse cases, so it wouldn’t be that bad if she were to see the wounds on his back, right?

 

She looked at him and nodded. “Fine.” She said and Taeyong let go of her hand. She heard her phone ringing and went to take her phone on the other side of the bed. Feeling the soreness on her side as she stretched but it wasn’t that bad. She tilted her head momentarily and saw the still healing whipped wounds on his back as he pulled down his shirt. She widened her eyes in shock, her hand gripping onto her phone as she stared at Taeyong’s already covered back.

 

Training. She remembered the text. Taeyong was someone who kills, so he couldn’t have let just anyone do that to him, so it must’ve been someone who was extremely close to him.

 

Training. Was that what it was? It wasn’t training, it was downright torture and abuse. Taeyong caught Jimin’s shocked facial expression as she stared on his back. She must’ve seen it.

 

“Your phone is still ringing.” Taeyong said, snapping out of Jimin’s frozen state.

 

“O-Oh, right…” She stumbled on her words and picked up the phone call.

 

“Jaehyun?” She sat up, sitting on the edge of her bed as she was on the phone with Jaehyun.

 

“Why aren’t you in school? Are you sick?” Jaehyun’s worried voice greeted her ears instead of a proper greeting.

 

“I’m fine. Just running a slight fever but I’ll be fine tomorrow.” Jimin said, looking down at her feet, wiggling her toes.

 

“Do you want me to buy some medicine for you? I’ll visit you after school.” Jaehyun said and Jimin just let out a soft chuckle at how panicked he sounded.

 

“I’m fine Jaehyun-ah. It’s just a small fever. I won’t die from a fever.” Jimin replied as she looked up at Taeyong when she saw him stood up from her peripheral view. He walked towards the fridge and got himself a cup of water.

 

“You can die from a fever! It could be a symptom of a virus or an infection! Did you go to a doctor?” Jaehyun asked and Jimin rolled her eyes at Jaehyun’s exaggeration.

 

“I’m a doctor and I’m extremely sure it’s just a normal fever that people get when they’re stressed. The final exams are around the corner and I didn’t get enough sleep. Maybe that’s why I’m having a fever. Don’t be such a worrywart.” Jimin said and she heard Jaehyun let out a sigh.

 

“Fine. Have you taken your medicine?” He asked and Jimin hummed in reply.

 

“Good then. I’ll buy you dinner.” Jaehyun said and Jimin hummed again. The bother of them said their goodbyes before hanging up.

 

“Was that the training that you got?” Jimin put her phone down and stood up, walking towards Taeyong who was leaning against the kitchen counter. Taeyong looked down at Jimin, knowing what she meant but he did nothing but just stared at her.

 

It wasn’t the worst case Jimin had seen, but it was definitely the worse torture that she had seen. She had seen kids with abusive parents and their whip marks were not as bad as Taeyong’s. God, you can even see his flesh from those wounds, that was how bad they were. It wasn't even healing properly. Did he even bother tending to those wounds?

 

“I’ll take it as a yes then.” Jimin said, an unexplainable anger filled her entire being. Angry tears started to well up in her eyes.

 

Why was she so god-damned angry?

 

He was a murderer. He was a stranger that might have acquainted with her before but she couldn’t remember. He killed 2 lives right right in front of her and attempted to take her own life. So why was she so bothered about him?

 

Why was she so worried about a murderer?

 

“Why did you let yourself get whipped like that?” Jimin asked, her voice slightly shaking and her tears threatening to fall as he looked into her tear-filled eyes. Wondering why she was crying. Was she crying for him? He didn’t deserve her tears.

 

“Why are you making me feel so angry about this? You’re supposed to be a murderer. I’m supposed to be afraid of you, so why am I not? Who are you?” Jimin asked, the tears, that she was trying so hard to prevent from falling, fell.

 

“Why am I always worrying for you? Why do you live like that?” Jimin continued asking, her voice slowly getting louder and firmer, anger evident in her voice. Taeyong just stared into her glassy eyes, listening to her rants. He had all the answer to the question, but he had no intentions on answering any of them. She had to find out everything on her own.

 

“Who are you, Lee Taeyong?” Jimin asked, her voice softer, sounding desperate. She didn’t want to worry about him but she couldn’t help it. It was frustrating to say the least. She didn’t even feel all that compassionate with her other patients. Sure, she felt sympathy for them, but Taeyong was making her feel more than sympathy. She felt unusually compassionate and concerned for him and she didn't know why. It was annoying.

 

Taeyong had his pair of eyes locked into Jimin’s glassy pair. Thinking of a way to answer her question.

 

“I’m someone from your lost memory. And your last words to me were, ‘I hate you’.” Taeyong said and Jimin’s eyes widened. Her body frozen in shock. She had expected him to simply leave her apartment and leave her hanging, but he actually answered one of her many questions. So, they weren’t just acquainted?

 

“I’m leaving.” Taeyong simply said, leaving Jimin standing in front of the kitchen counter, dumbfounded. She blinked when she heard the door close.

 

I hate you. She heard her own voice rang in her head. It sounded so resentful that it scared her. 

 

What exactly was the relationship that both Taeyong and her had?