Chapter Four

Monstrosity

Jimin handed the nurse, who was at the administrative table, the file that had all the required medication for the patient before going back to him. “Kim Jimin!” She flinched at the loudness of the voice. Someone should really launch a complaint on him. Seriously. This was an A & E -Accident and Emergency- department. No matter how noisy the patients could be, doctors shouldn’t be shouting across the room like that.

 

“Yes Chief Lee.” Jimin turned, plastering a fake smile while the chief stalked over to her. Telling her to wipe the smile off her face. She watched a couple of drama where the chief was downright mean to their interns or those of a lower rank than them, but up to the ones with a high rank. She didn’t actually expect that in real life oh how wrong she was. This person in front of her was the exact replica of the ones she saw on TV.

 

“What did you prescribe to the patient who had Gastroenteritis -stomach flu- yesterday? She came back here, complaining of a fever and continuous vomiting after she ate the medications.” The chief said, glaring at Jimin who wanted so badly to talk back at him, telling him that he was the one who asked her to prescribe the medication, and he was also the one who examined her.

 

“Promethazine, to stop her vomiting. Painkillers as well, to stop the pain in her stomach.” Jimin simply replied and the chief gave her a short glare, seeming dissatisfied with her answer.

 

“Come with me.” He gestured her to follow him and she did. A woman was holding her stomach in pain, her face pale and beads of sweat covered her forehead. Jimin blinked, not knowing what the chief wanted. He was the one who examined her yesterday, and he was the one who examined her today. 

 

“This was the result of the prescription you gave. You examine her and tell me what’s wrong.” He said and folded his arms, waiting for Jimin to do what he commanded. Calm down Jimin-ah, just a week and a half left of withstanding this bastard of a chief before you go back to studying. Jimin told herself in her head as she walked over to the patient with a smile. She rarely cuss, but when she does, it would mean that no words could describe how angry she felt, so she ended up cussing, or calling people names. 

 

“Excuse me Ma’am, can you hear me?” Jimin asked, getting the woman’s attention. She gave Jimin a short and curt nod. Jimin kept her smile plastered to her face, trying to keep the woman calm.

 

“Can you remove your arms from your stomach? I need to check what’s wrong.” Jimin said with gentleness in her voice. The woman obliged and Jimin lightly pressed on her abdomen, earning a small cry from the woman. “While I check, can you please tell me when this started, how you feel after it started and how frequent you feel the pain.” Jimin said, putting on her stethoscope.

 

She listened to the bowel movement of the patient and frowned when it was abnormal. “A month ago. I feel tired every single time, as if I have no energy to do anything. And the constant vomiting right after finishing a meal. I almost feel the pain every day.” The patient said, answering Jimin's questions and Jimin put down the stethoscope. Jimin gave the patient an encouraging smile.

 

“I’ll need you to take an X-ray. From what I can tell, the promethazine and the painkiller weren’t the ones that caused you this pain. From the symptoms you just gave, I suspect that you have stomach cancer, not a stomach flu. If this is true, tablets won’t work on you, instead, you’ll need to undergo a treatment.” Jimin explained and the woman widened her eyes at the word ‘cancer’.

 

Jimin called a nurse over and told her to get an X-ray scan for the patient and the nurse nodded.

 

“Good job.” The chief told Jimin when she turned to the chief. How thick was this person’s skin? He was so shameless that it made Jimin froze for a while.

 

“If my work here is done, I’ll be checking on my other patients then.” Jimin said and bowed to the chief before walking away in disbelief. She didn’t even know how to respond to his shamelessness. It was his mistake for not thoroughly checking the patient yesterday and she got scolded and was told to take responsibility for his mistake. And after suspecting something that seemed accurate, he just simply told her ‘good job’, as if this was a test that she had to take.

 

“What’s with that frown?” She heard an extremely familiar voice asked, an arm around her shoulder. She groaned in annoyance and pulled away from the arm.

 

“Go attend to your patient.” She pushed Jaehyun away and he laughed in amusement. He waved to Jimin before going back to work. Jimin just chuckled, her spirits lifted after the presence of her best friend. She went to her next patient that was suffering from a close fracture on her wrist caused by falling off from the monkey bars. She was a 9-year-old kid, her mother and siblings by her side.

 

Jimin gave her patient a gentle smile and the patient just looked at Jimin with curiosity, her big round eyes widening. She’s so cute. Jimin exclaimed in her mind.

page divider

 

“You could’ve just let him eat some instant noodles. Why do you have to go through the trouble of buying him supper?” Jaehyun asked, not particularly happy that he had to eat with a stranger as well. Jimin just listened to Jaehyun’s complains, not commenting on them at all. There was nothing she could say anyway. She hasn’t even told him about the incident that happened this morning, nor did she have the intentions to.

 

Jaehyun sighed and pulled over to the side of the road. “Yah.” He ruffled Jimin’s hair and Jimin frowned. Fixing her hair again. “I’m sorry okay. I didn’t mean to sound mean to him but you have to understand. He’s a stranger. There is a large chance of him being a gangster as well.” Jaehyun said and Jimin looked at Jaehyun, who was looking genuinely concerned for her. Jimin sighed, her heart heavy. She knew that he was just stating the facts. She was even nearly strangled to death this morning.

 

“Let’s just go home. I want to eat and the food is getting cold.” Jimin said and Jaehyun rolled his eyes at the sudden change of subject but complied nonetheless.

 

Jimin entered the passcode and said, “I’m home.” She blinked at the sight in front of her. “Holy .” Jaehyun cussed but Jimin was too stunned to even care. How was she supposed to make of this?

 

The mattress that was supposed to be on the bedframe was on the floor. Clothes scattered on ground, including undergarments mind you. Books were on the floor as well. The sofa was literally overturned, and the closet doors were opened wide. And the culprit? Lying on the field of clothes, unconscious and his stomach bleeding, telling both Jimin and Jaehyun that the stitched wounds have all been undone.

 

“Yeah, he’s a gangster alright.” Jaehyun commented and Jimin threw him a glare. He just cleared his throat and looked away.

 

“Did you inject him with something that made him pass out?” Jaehyun asked as Jimin placed the packet food on the still intact kitchen counter. At least the utensils were still in their right place, thankfully.

 

“I did inject some anesthetics since he reopened his wounds this morning. I guess it knocked him out, especially with all the energy he used to turn this place into…this. And the bleeding just added another kick to his exhaustion.” Jimin said, her hands on her hips, thinking of a way to clean up this mess. She had to calm the growing anger inside her. She somehow expected this, but she still had that hope that this boy wouldn’t turn her place upside down. But that hope was certainly pointless.

 

“We should’ve sent him to the police.” Jaehyun muttered under his breath but Jimin heard it. She threw another glare to Jaehyun who gave Jimin that ‘You know I’m right’ look. She just sighed, crossing her arms across her chest. Thinking of where to start cleaning up first. Should she even start on the stitches first?

 

Jimin messed her hair and let out a frustrated cry, scaring Jaehyun who flinched at the sudden cry. There goes the ‘calm’ one between those two. In contrast to Jimin’s calm demeanor, when she’s angry, she could turn into devil itself, scaring Jaehyun even. “He’s going to be dead when he wakes up.” Jimin cursed, glaring at the unconscious boy making Jaehyun gulped in fear. Mentally wishing the boy good luck.

 

She stomped towards the sofa, turning it to its original position on her own with struggle, but she managed to do it anyway. She needed to let out some steam and sweating it out seemed to be another alternative besides throwing things or beating someone up. With her house already in this mess, what was there to throw? Anyway, at least her framed certificate and pictures were still intact on the wall.

 

“Are you not going to help me?” Jimin turned to Jaehyun and asked, as she gripped onto a side of the mattress. Jaehyun cleared his throat and went over to help Jimin.

 

After putting the mattress on the bedframe, Jaehyun carried Taeyong onto the bed while Jimin took the first aid kit. She really needed to restock it soon. She was thankful that at least her clothes didn’t have blood on it. She took one shirt that belonged to Jaehyun and threw it on the bed, letting it sit beside Taeyong. There goes another one of Jaehyun’s shirt.

 

Both of them repeated what they did 2 days ago, when they stitched his wounds up, but this time with less mess. The bed was safe from the blood since they threw all the bloody shirt and gauze pads on the ground instead. It’ll be so much easier to mob the wooden floor than having to throw another bed sheet down the rubbish chute, or having to wash the blood off.

 

After making sure that Taeyong’s wounds had stopped bleeding, they began cleaning the place up.

 

“Was he finding for his things?” Jaehyun asked, folding the clothes with Jimin. She just nodded in reply, folding the clothes in silence.

 

“You could’ve just given him his things and he’ll be on his way.” Jaehyun simply said and Jimin frowned. Then he would have to go training. Wait, why was she even caring for this boy? Her job was done. What he does with his life after that was his problem.

 

“I’ll do that when he wakes up.” Jimin said and Jaehyun nodded, satisfied with her answer. They took an hour and a half to finish cleaning everything up and they went to eat their supper after that, after heating the food up of course.

 

“So, where are you going to sleep?” Jaehyun asked, after both of them ate their supper, putting Taeyong’s portion into the refrigerator.

 

“The bed.” Jimin simply replied and Jaehyun’s jaw drop. A girl and a boy in a bed?

 

“Oh no. You’re not going to lie with him beside you.” Jaehyun said and Jimin rolled her eyes at Jaehyun’s statement. “I slept with him beside me last night and nothing happened. I’m positive nothing would happen tonight as well. Unless you want to sleep beside him of course. By all means, you can have the bed.” Jimin said, her arms across her chest. Challenging Jaehyun. He frowned, thinking of another way where it didn’t involve either one of them to sleep beside the stranger.

 

“Make him sleep on the sofa and both of us sleep on the same bed.” Jaehyun’s eyes brightened at that idea and Jimin whacked the back of his head. Had he forgotten that the boy was injured? How could he even suggest that? Jaehyun groaned in pain, giving Jimin a glare.

 

“You’re sleeping on the sofa; I’m sleeping on the bed. That’s final.” Jimin said and Jaehyun scoffed in disbelief. She would rather sleep with a stranger than sleep with him? Then again, the stranger was unconscious and it was highly unlikely that he would do anything to her. But he’s still a stranger… Trains of thoughts appeared in Jaehyun’s head and Jimin seemed to notice.

 

“Stop thinking so much. We have less than 5 hours of sleep left no thanks to this boy here.” Jimin jerked her head to the unconscious boy. Jaehyun sighed in defeat and said, “Fine.” He took a blanket out from the closet and went to the sofa. Jimin lay down on the bed, her back facing the boy.

 

"Goodnight." Jaehyun wished and Jimin wished him back, with her eyes closed. 

page divider

 

Jimin woke up when her alarm started ringing. Jaehyun was awoken by her alarm as well. She stretched and turned to her side to see the boy still unconscious. She yawned and went ahead to wash up, leaving Jaehyun to cook breakfast as he usually did whenever he stayed over at her house. It wasn’t because she was bad at cooking, but he simply wanted to. As a ‘compensation’ as told by him.

 

She wore a black pencil skirt paired with a white blouse after washing up. She air-dried her hair as she left the washroom to let Jaehyun use it. She continued at where Jaehyun left off and went to set up the table after the Kimchi fried rice was cooked, and the eggs already fried. Well, she was the one who fried the eggs, and Jaehyun did the Kimchi fried rice to be more specific.

 

She opened the cabinet below the sink and took out a paper bag, filled with Taeyong’s things. She put some painkillers as well into the paper bag. She was letting him go, since he even turned her house upside down just to leave the house. Who was she to stop him right?

 

She placed the paper bag on the ground and sat down, waiting for Jaehyun before she started eating. “You’re going to let him go?” Jaehyun asked when he saw the brown paper bag on the floor beside Jimin and she nodded as she started eating.

 

“I’m not someone who can stop him from doing what he wants anyway.” Jimin replied and Jaehyun nodded, agreeing to what Jimin said. He was never happy with having a stranger staying at his best friend’s house anyway. That was pretty obvious, wasn't it? The rest of breakfast was just random chats, talking about the evil chief and patients. 

 

“Let’s go.” Jimin said, after she finished washing the dishes and preparing herself to leave. She gave one last look to the unconscious boy before completely leaving the house.

 

Goodbye Taeyong.