Emergency Surgery

Troubled Tonsils - Optional Bias

Parking your car, you grabbed your belongings and headed through the Emergency doors. Explaining what had happened two weeks prior, they sent you down the hall to a specialist to see what their opinion was on your diagnosis. After an evaluation, the doctor thought it would be best for you to have an Emergency Tonsillectomy due to the fact that you had another abscess just like you had two weeks prior.

Heading back down the hall to the main desk in the hospital, the nurses got all of your paperwork ready for the procedure that was going to take place. Signing a few papers and showing your identification, they wrapped a plastic bracelet around your right wrist before you moved to another chair and waited for them to get ready for you.

Having Emergency surgery… I wish you were here…

Sending off the message to your boyfriend, you thumbed through pictures of him to try and keep your mind off of what was about to happen. A nurse called your name, rising to your feet, you slowly followed him as he brought you back to a wing in the hospital. Getting your height and weight, they brought you back to a small room separated with a curtain as they continued to get vitals and take simple tests on you to ready you for surgery.

Hooking you up to an IV, you leaned back as you told the nurse that you hadn’t eaten in a day or so and haven’t had your normal amount of water in three days. Helping you out as much as he could, he let the IV fluid run through your veins as he gave you some medicine to help with the pain. Feeling the cool liquid run through your arm, you could feel the hydrating relief slowly soaking in through your tissues

Listening to the procedure, you changed into a gown and slipped on some blue socks as you met a few other nurses and the anesthesiologist. Checking your phone once more for a message, you knew that you were getting close to the time that they were going to start the surgery. With no new messages you slipped your phone into the plastic bag, that held all of your belongings, before you stood up and followed them back to the small surgical room.

Laying back on the bed, the bright lights clouded your vision as your head was positioned on a stabilizing pillow. Feeling your body sink into the mattress below, you had a hard time keeping your eyes opened as another nurse moved around you. Pressing some monitors on your skin, they a few more machines making sure that you were stable as they continued to prepare for your procedure.

Talking with you and adjusting you on the bed slightly, you took in a few deep breaths and tried to relax as the nurses placed warm blankets across your body. The anesthesiologist hooked you up to all of the machines around your head, keeping your head still, your eyes stared upwards as your thoughts slowly faded to your boyfriend, what he was doing at this moment, what you would do after and if you were going to need to spend the rest of the day in the hospital.

“You’re going to feel so much better” They tried to reassure as you just nodded, emotions raced through your veins as you knew that this was already rare and there was a chance that you weren’t going to make it through. Looking around the room, you could feel your eyes start to stagger as the vision was slowly starting to blur.

“We are going to give you some oxygen and we will see you in an hour or two” They said as they placed a mask over your nose and mouth. With just a few deep breaths, your eyes slowly closed and your body slipped into sleep.

A tightening around your right arm caught your attention, jolting you out of your sleep. Gently a hand rested on your shoulder while a thumb slowly rubbed against your gown.

“It’s okay, just take your time to wake up“ A sweet voice called, finding your throat dry and painful, you nodded your head as you kept your eyes closed.

Hearing the monitors beep around you, you took in deep breaths and tried to wiggle your fingers. Feeling the same heaviness in your body, you found it difficult to even move, opening your eyes slowly a kind face came into view.

“Would you like some ice?” She questioned, nodding your head she eased a small bite of ice into your mouth as the cool solid slowly melted into your mouth. Feeling the chilled water soak down your parched throat, you closed your eyes again and sunk further into the bed.

Hearing the nurse move around your head, she pressed a few buttons here and there as the blood pressure cuff slowly tightened on your arm once again.

“Is there anyone waiting for you, that you know of?” The nurse questioned as you opened your eyes to her.

“Maybe” You whispered, “He may not be here”

“We will go check for you” The nurse smiled down at you before nodding over to another nurse to check on her behalf.

A little while later, they moved you into another room shifting you from a bed to a reclining chair. Switching all of your fluids over to the new room, you leaned your head back and closed your eyes to rest for a little longer. The opening and the closing of the curtain slowly kept you awake before you heard a slightly deeper voice around you.

“Thank you” The deeper voice said as the sound of the curtain opened beckoned your eyes to open.

Trying to wake yourself up, you heard a mass sit down in a chair next to you, a vague yet familiar scent filled the room as you began to get your hopes up. Perhaps the person sitting next to you is the person that you had been longing for. The softest touch brushed across your arm and then up to your cheek, tucking some hair behind your ear.

“Take your time waking up beautiful, they said you did really well” The sweet voice of a man called as you could feel your heart pick up slightly.

Feeling the medicine wear off slowly, eventually opening your eyes to the direction where the voice last originated, you blinked a few times clearing your blurred vision until a figure came into view. Tightening your grip on something that rested in your hand, you watched the figure move beside you.

“Sweetheart?” The kind voice softly cooed as you just smiled softly at him while relief swept over you.

“_____” Whispering a short nickname you gave your boyfriend from time to time sent a smile across his lips.

“Can I get you anything?” He questioned, his hand pulling the blankets up on you as you lightly shook your head.

“No, just you” You whispered back, unable to take your eyes off of him. Earning a chuckle from him at your response, he leaned forward and pressed his lips against your forehead.

“Did you really come back home just for me?” You questioned softly as you began to wake up a little more over time.

“Well there was this game I wanted to watch” He teased causing you to flash your beautiful smile. “I didn’t want you falling in love with a male nurse, you know how cute they are.”

“Don’t worry” You smiled as you gave his hand a slight squeeze, “My heart is already taken.”

There is no limit to the power of loving. - John Morton