Medical Diagnosis

Troubled Tonsils - Optional Bias

An uncomfortable tightening sat high in your throat, every time you swallowed an unbearable pain shot through your body causing you to move to try and avoid the pain that you caused yourself. Talking was worse that swallowing and caused you more pain the louder you raised your voice.

Trying to stay quiet and go through the motions of work, you tried to use your body language to get your point across pointing and gesturing to things so that you wouldn’t have to use your voice. However, with every passing day it seemed to get worse than the day before, a tightening in your throat seemed to get worse as you tried to work through the pain day after day.

Saturday morning rolled around, your body shivering under the hot covers, strands of your hair stuck to your forehead while the pillows around you cradled your head comfortably. Your alarm sounded, your body slowly pulled itself out of its slumber, your hand reached out for your phone on the end table and slid your thumb across the screen to silence the alarm.

Peace filled your room once your thumb traveled across the screen, rolling over onto your back, you your side lamp and closed your eyes feeling your heart beat faster in your chest. After a while, you pushed yourself up from the covers and stood on your feet as you got ready for your short shift that day.

Going through the motions of your morning routine, you carefully swallowed and tried to eat something soft, yet every time you swallowed an unbearable pain coursed through your body. Grabbing the edge of the counter with your hands, you closed your eyes and let your lips part as a painful whine left your lips.

Deeming breakfast done, you put away your unfinished food and drink before you slipped on your shoes. Grabbing your keys you headed out of the door, driving to work, your mind pondered over what could be wrong, what ailment you were inflicted with and when you got it exactly.

Listening to the radio while you headed to work, your mind continued to work through what could be ailing you. Pulling into a free parking space, you turned back the key as your other hand grasped your name tag. Threading it through your shirt, you clasped the needle into it’s holder before you grabbed your water bottle and snacks for lunch. Slipping from the drivers seat, you closed the door behind you and walked into work. Getting right to work, you began to work as your energy drained quickly leaving you to push through the pain in your throat.

Sitting down in the shade after your assigned task, you slipped some water into your mouth and held it in your mouth to try and cool you down. Spitting out the water, you whined at the pain that any movement of your mouth caused you. Pulling out your phone from your back pocket, you tapped your thumb against the screen a time or two before you pulled up the one person you wanted to talk to.

I’m not feeling well

Sending the message to your boyfriend, you closed your eyes for a moment and swallowed as the sharp pain shocked your body. Opening your eyes, you began to research your symptoms knowing that the results could be a little off.

What are you feeling like? - BF

Your boyfriend replied as a buzz was felt in your hand. Reading the message, your thumbs paused as you tried to put your symptoms into words for him. With a few questions from him, the two of you texted back and forth for a few minutes before he became perplexed with what could be ailing you.

Do you think you can drive yourself to the doctor? - BF

Probably,,, but a doctor’s visit costs…

I’ll take care of it, you need to get looked at okay? This isn’t something that you can sleep off or get better with chicken noodle soup… - BF

Maybe I could with your magic soup

Please pay the doctor a visit… I’m worried about you - BF

Okay…

Grabbing your things, you double checked that you clocked out and wished everyone a good rest of their day before you headed back out to your car. Unlocking the doors, your mind was writhed with thoughts of possible diagnosis that the doctor could possibly have.

Walking slowly to your truck, you waved to other coworkers that you passed, unlocking your truck, you slipped behind the wheel and let the warm heat soak into your skin. Sliding your key into the ignition, you turned the key back and heard the roar of the engine start. Pulling out your phone, you found a nearby clinic that wouldn’t be too expensive but had the expertise of the hospital if needed.

A short drive to the clinic, you walked through the sliding glass doors as the smell of cleaning products hit your nose. Scanning the area with your eyes, you located the front desk and moseyed over to the woman sitting behind the desk. She asked you a few questions and jotted down your answers as she got your medical information before she allowed you to sit and wait for the doctor.

Moving into a room, the nurse came and got your vitals before she left the room and allowed the doctor to come in when he pleased. Watching the man come in with the white cloak, he grabbed a tongue depressor and rolled up onto his chair. Your hands were firmly pressed in between your thighs. A few hums came from his mouth as he brought up a light and looked around for a moment before he let your jaw retract.

“You have a Tonsillar Abscess, you will need to go to the hospital and they will take care of you over there. Is there someone I can call to drive you over there?” The doctor questioned as he wrote down his observations.

“I will call my boyfriend and he can meet me outside” You told him as you slipped on your shoes.

“Okay, I wish you the best of luck” The doctor bowed to you as he handed you the note. Showing you the way to the door, he waved to you as your footsteps slowed and pulled your phone out of your back pocket.

Can you meet me at the hospital?

Of course love, I’ll be right over, just finishing up work - BF

Slipping behind the wheel of your truck, you leaned forward and rested your head against the steering wheel, tears swelled in your eyes as the unknown clouded your thoughts. Taking a deep breath, you slowly picked yourself up and leaned back against your seat. Starting up your vehicle, you drove the few short blocks to the hospital.

Parking your vehicle, you slipped out of your seat and grabbed your purse. Walking across the parking lot, you gulped in pain as you wanted this to be fixed but unsure of the procedure or what would happen afterwards. Your footsteps slowly carried you to the front desk as you filled out more paperwork for your stay.

Handing the receptionist the note from the doctor at the clinic, they printed up a bracelet for you and wrapped it around your wrist. Letting you wait a moment or two longer in the waiting room, you twiddled your thumbs and prayed that your boyfriend would get here soon. Grabbing your phone, you thumbed through your conversation and his as his words calmed your racing heart and started to clear your cloudy mind.

“_______ ______” Your name was called by a nurse, grabbing your things, you headed back to the triage room. Sitting in a chair, they wrapped a blood pressure cuff around your right arm and clipped a strange clip around your finger to monitor your oxygen levels.

Talking with that nurse, she jotted down some more notes and your vitals before showing you back to your room. Handing you a change of clothes, she showed you how to put them on before leaving the room to let you change.

Changing your clothes, you tied the few ties behind your back and packed all of your clothes into the plastic bag that they gave you. Opening the door open a moment, you went back to your bed and watched your phone that sat a top of your plastic bag. Hoping and praying that it would ring and that your boyfriend would be done with work.

Another nurse came in and hooked you up to an IV and some fluids as you then waited for a while longer. A light knock came from the door as you tried to call for the person to came in through your throat was almost all closed. The door opened slightly as a head poked through the opening.