CH-3

STEPS & CHORDS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

Jinhwan peeks through the crack of the door. An inhabitant room greets him and he releases a sigh of relief. He drops his backpack on the floor by the foot of the bed and plops himself on the mattress. His muscles arching from the tremendous non stop training. He checks the time on his cell phone and with every single bone and muscle in his body refusing, he is back on his feet again, shrugging off his clothes, making his way to the washroom.

A quick yet soothing shower later he drapes himself in fresh set of clothes and picks up his backpack off the floor and is ready to set out again. He opens the door gently, carefully studying the hallway. He sighs again, stepping out. It is the third day he has been avoiding Yunhyeong. Being out of the room before his roommate is up, occasionally coming back only when he knows his friend isn't in the room and sleeping or more correctly pretending to be asleep before he is back. It is a miracle how patient Yunhyeong is. He probably knows something is up with Jinhwan and yet he still plays along silently.

It is not that he is scared of his roommate. There is nothing to be scared of his ever so kind friend. But sometimes Yunhyeong can be very vocal about his views and opinions and that is what Jinhwan is trying to avoid. A little show of concern from his friend and his insecurity will be out in full blown. He will start over thinking and with no doubt start getting stressed and at the moment he just can't deal with any of that. But everything has a limit and Jinhwan knows that. It is not that he enjoys it. Heck, this whole sneaking around thing is already eating up his energy but he just doesn't have the guts to tell Yunhyeong, yet! He will though...maybe tomorrow.

"Hey" a hand drops on his shoulder and Jinhwan jerks, snapping his head towards the voice. A tall lean man stands by his side and he let's out his breath loud and long.

"You freaking scared me", Jinhwan accuses him.

The man up a brow. "In board daylight?"

Jinhwan narrows his slanted eyes. "What do you want Taehyun?"

"Want? Can't a guy say 'hey' to his friend?!" Taehyun looks surprised and rightly so.

"You are not my friend. You are his friend" Jinhwan walks off and Taehyun tags along.

"Seriously Jinhwan?" Taehyun genuinely seems hurt. "You never thought of me as a friend of yours?"

"Why are you here Taehyun?" Jinhwan replies with another question, coming to a halt and staring straight in his eyes at his tall friend.

"I heard about you taking some freshman into your final project", Taehyun replies, submitting into the pressure. "What were you thinking?"

Jinhwan simply nods. "Who told you?"

"Seungyoon"

"Hmm. Did he ask you to go and talk some sense into me?" Jinhwan says curtly "Some friend you are"

"What? No. I came because I wanted to ask you personally if it was true" Taehyun seems shocked by Jinhwan's ridiculous accusation. "And by the looks of it. I guess it is. Jinhwan, what were you thinking?"

"Don't act like you care", Jinhwan tries walking away but Taehyun is fast and he quickly blocks his way.

"Ugh. Stop accusing me already". Taehyun's voice a pitch higher. "You were the one who avoided me. You never replied to my texts. Never picked up my calls. Not everyone is against you Jinhwan. You need to stop thinking you are protecting yourself by pushing everyone away"

Taehyun saw the change in his expression, Jinhwan had never been good at receiving blunt truth. He sighes and puts an arm around his petite friend.

"Buy me a drink"

"Why should I?" Jinhwan sounds like a kid who had just recently been scolded.

"Because you are older"

A few minutes later they are sitting on a bench under the maple tree, sipping on their soft drinks, watching students dart up and down and about.

"So" Taehyun turned towards his company "Why him?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean. You are the best dancer in your batch. There are a lot people who would want to work with you so why did you choose a freshman?"

Because I am stupid and a self conscious idiot who doesn't want to go around asking people to work me, Jinhwan thought disappointedly but instead answered, "Because he is good"

"Really? B.I?" A hint of skepticism in his voice.

"Isn't he?" They are in the same department. Taehyun should know. From what he knows after listening to Hanbin's work, he is good.

"I mean he is ok. People just overrate him too much", Taehyun says before going back sipping his drink.

Jinhwan lets out a smile at his words. Taehyun would never admit a junior is better than him and he had every right to do so. Taehyun was very talented in his own unique way but more than that he has wholeheartedly accepted and recognised his talent. And that was what Jinhwan envied him for. He wish he could believe when people say he is the best dancer in the batch or when a compliment is passed to him. But unfortunately he only sees his flaws and shortcomings and how the other dancers seem to be a step ahead of him. Simply put it was the confidence Taehyun had in himself that he envied.

They silently went back to their drinks and Jinhwan realises how much he had actually missed being around Taehyun. He was easy, funny, sharp tongued and somehow surprisingly wise! He remembers the times they had hung out together, him, Taehyun and the others. Even Seungyoon. Seungyoon.... He hates being sober.

"By the way...." Taehyun starts and Jinhwan hums as a que for him to continue "He is doing good"

Jinhwan freezes for mere seconds at his words. He knows who Taehyun is refering to.

"I didn't ask" Jinhwan says

"I know but you were thinking about him"

 


Hanbin gingerly strode through the hallway, peering through the long narrow glass pane of each door he passes. At every door he would find students practising their routine and he would find himself staring a bit too longer than necessary. Well, it ain't his fault. Dance department is one of the best in the whole campus. Everyone from dance department just seems to look good, like really good, unlike his own department where maximum of them were geekish and just a handful, with all batches combined, were actually worth looking at. He will also put theater department alongside dance.

"Oh" Hanbin exclaims softly when he finally reaches the dance studio where Jinhwan was practising.

He had called minutes earlier telling Jinhwan that he had finish the work on the song and had asked where he was so he could drop it off to him and hence the reason he is standing infront of the studio at the moment. When Hanbin pushes the door open and walks in, the music instantly hits him. He stands by the door for a few se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter