CH-1

STEPS & CHORDS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Lets call it a day", Hanbin recalls Bobby saying before he left the studio about an hour ago.

Hanbin yawns as he checks the time on his phone. It's 11:26 pm. He hasn't had dinner yet although he has been snacking on Pringles the whole time. His reflection on the glass window pane catches his attention, he looks like a zombie. He can already imagine his mother making a fuss about how much weight he has lost the next time he goes home on a weekend. He groans as he stretches himself to release the tension in his muscles that have grown stiff from being glued to the chair all day long in the studio. This is his daily routine, spending an extra hour in the studio than anyone else from the Music Department. It wasn't easy living up to the name of being a prodigy!

The night air is crisps and Hanbin feels a light shudder as he makes his way out of the building. The dormitory is a few minutes walk from the studio. He takes the dimly lit stone pathway that runs through the thick and overgrown bushes. He wonders whether his annoying roommate would wake when he returns and how more annoying it would be if he was to start his never ending complain about how the late entry has disturbed his beauty sleep once again.

Not too consumed in his thoughts, Hanbin halts when he hears a rustle from behind the bushes. He shrugs. It is indeed a scary looking path but this is campus, it just may be some couple making out behind the bushes. And the thought somehow makes him feel like he is intruding so he steps forward and walks off when suddenly he feels something around his left ankle. He screams, jumping up and landing hard on his . With hands trembling he reaches for his phone and hits the light from it at his ankles, nothing. Another rustle and this time a groan included, he immediately turns the light towards the noise. A small hand leading to a small writhing body. His jaw drops. It's Kim Jinhwan. Wait, lets rephrase that. It's his crush Kim Jinhwan.


When did they meet? Well, it happened a few months back, at the beginning of his first semester when Hanbin wasn't yet fully aware of the way around the campus and he ended up in the wrong department. He was running late and when he figured out that it was the wrong building he had abruptly turned around only to crash hard against a small body; books and notes flying in all direction. Hanbin apologised but the other didn't even look up, instead he was hurriedly picking up his scattered belongings. Guess Hanbin wasn't the only one getting late for his class. Showing courtesy, he bent down and picked the notes off the ground.

"I am really sorry", he apologised again as he handed over the notes to the owner. This time the guy looked up and what struck Hanbin was how incredibly cute he looked. He was wearing a pink beanie with his dark hair peeking out in the front draping his forehead against his porcelain skin. It was a beautiful contrast. Hanbin, himself, had many a times adorned a beanie but he swore he never looked near good as the petite male in front of him, especially in a pink one.

"It's ok", the male gave a short reply as he dashed through the hallway and disappeared from sight, leaving Hanbin dazed and so very late for his class.

Since that day on, Hanbin has taken a keen interest on the boy, finding out any possible information about him. His name is Kim Jinhwan. He is a final year senior. Dance major. Top of his class. And also very taken. He is in a long term relationship with a guy named Kang Seungyoon from the music department, meaning he is Hanbin's senior. This particular news was disheartening. So instead of approaching Jinhwan, Hanbin had come in terms with his unrequited love, watching him from afar and writing tons of heartbreaking songs and mind you, there were one of his best works. He had never missed a performance by the petite dancer and as small as he is, Jinhwan commanded everyone's attention when he was on stage. He is most beautiful when he performs.

 

Hanbin idiotically stares at Jinhwan as the latter tries to scuffle his way up from the ground only to fall back again. Jinhwan mutters some jumbled up words and only then did Hanbin scramble to his side. He gingerly wraps an arm around the smaller male's shoulder.

"Let me help you", says Hanbin even though he is sure that it went unheard. He pulls Jinhwan up and steadies him supporting his entire weight. He reeks of alcohol. Now on his two feet, Jinhwan looks up and Hanbin sees that his cheeks were flushed red, eyebrows furrowed, eyes squinted and lips in a pout. Hanbin stares at those lips, those round plumpy lips. He swallowed hard. They were so close, so very close. Just a little bit further then those lips would be on his. It is wrong and Hanbin knows it but he also knows that Jinhwan is so wasted that he wouldn't even remember what happens tonight. All those daydreaming will finally come true and he will finally know what he taste like. Hanbin bit his lower lips as he inches closer.

 


Jinhwan squirms on the soft mattress and takes cover under his blanket as the harsh sunlight hits him directly on his face.

"Get up already. It's noon", comes a familiar firm voice. The blanket is now pulled away and Jinhwan balls up in a bundle with his head buried in the pillow. He earns a hard smack on his . "You have missed your class again"

Jinhwan finally sits up with a hand on his head smoothening a throbbing headache while the other rubbing his right cheek. It is almost comical how the two places hurt at the same time.

"Wash up and have this. It will help you with the hangover", the other male points at the glass full of ugly green liquid on the bedside table. ". Jinhwan. You gotta stop this. And what the hell were you even doing at the music department that late at night?"

Jinhwan doesn't reply as usual. He simply stares out the window finally adjusted to the light.

"Jinhwan-"

"None of your business, Yunhyeong", he snaps and instantly he is ashamed of his own behaviour but he doesn't apologise. Instead he gets up from the bed and walks across towards the washroom, all the while Yunhyeong's eyes following him.

"You should thank the guy for bringi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter