{ 05 }

In The Shadows

{ 05 }

 

“The truth is…” Rosé closed her eyes briefly, her heart hammering in her chest. She doesn’t know if it was the right time and the right place to confess her lies, but she has this nagging feeling that if she doesn’t confess now at this moment, she won’t be able to anymore because she was slowly getting used to Bobby caring for her like a real friend.

 

“The truth is–” She began, but she was cut off by another voice. “Bobby Kim?” A man’s voice called out, startling the two of them.

 

They both turned their heads, seeing a man about the same height of Bobby. To Rosé’s surprise, Bobby stood up with a bright smile. “Hanbin Kim?” He stated, disbelief lacing his voice.

 

“Hey!” Kim Hanbin greeted, and the two hugged briefly before separating. “Man, how are you here?! I thought you stayed in States!” Bobby told the other man who laughed heartily.

 

“Nah, I went back about a month after you did. There are things I needed to take care of here in Korea.” Hanbin coolly answered. “How about you? You’re with someone?” He briefly glanced at Rosé who was only looking at the two of them.

 

“Right! C’mon, sit down.” Bobby offered the seat on one side of their table. “Hanbin, this is Ahn Chaeyoung, my childhood friend. Call her Rosé, though.” He introduced. “Rosé-yah, this is Kim Hanbin. He’s a friend I met at States.”

 

Rosé quietly bowed her head. “Nice to meet you, Hanbin-ssi.”

 

“Neh, nice to meet you too, Rosé-ssi,” Hanbin replied.

 

“Will you be staying here for good?” Bobby questioned the newcomer.

 

Hanbin shrugged his shoulders, looking completely nonchalant. “Probably. I haven’t really made any plans yet. How ‘bout you?”

 

“I’m staying,” Bobby instantly responded before briefly glancing at Rosé. “I’m actually going to study here.”

 

The other male’s eyes widened a bit. “Really?! That’s good! Where are you gonna go?”

 

“Ilsung University.”

 

Hanbin slowly nodded. “Oh, that uni near here?” He asked, to which Bobby nodded happily. “Maybe I’ll try enrolling there too, while I’m here.” He contemplated.

 

“You should!” Bobby enthusiastically replied. “Rosé’s studying there too.”

 

Hanbin’s eyes darted to Rosé who shyly bowed her head, definitely not used to the attention. “That’s great. I’ll think about it since I have nothing to do here anyway. Oh right!” He turned to look at Bobby. “Is it okay for me to stay here? I’m not…” His eyes flitted back and forth between the two in front of him. “…interrupting anything?”

 

Bobby laughed, his eyes disappearing into tiny slits. “Nah, you’re good. We’re all friends here.” He answered, making Rosé nod.

 

“Oh, that’s okay, then. I’ll just order some food–” Hanbin began when Rosé interrupted him in a small voice.

 

“You don’t have to, Hanbin-ssi. Bobby already ordered a lot of food.”

 

Bobby turned to look at her with an incredulous look in his face. “Yah, I told you we’ll be able to finish that!”

 

Rosé only shook her head with a slight smile. “That’s too much food for the two of us. I think we could feed five people with what you’ve ordered, you know.”

 

Bobby pouted but conceded anyway. “Alright, whatever you say. Just don’t bug me later if you want some more food, Rosé-yah.” He teased, to which Rosé only smiled.

 

“Here’s your fo–” The waitress came back with their order on hand, only to be surprised by yet another handsome face joining the table. She couldn’t take her eyes off the two boys while serving the dishes, which is why she accidentally poured the piping hot bowl of tangsuyuk on Rosé’s lap, making the other girl scream in surprise. The hot soup instantaneously seeped its way through her skirt.

 

Both Bobby and Hanbin instantly stood up, with Hanbin grabbing the soup bowl from the waitress while Bobby took Rosé to his side. “Where is the bathroom?” Bobby’s authoritative voice asked immediately.

 

“It’s that way!” One of the customers responded and pointed to the direction of the bathroom. Bobby narrowed his eyes at the waitress before taking Rosé to the bathroom.

 

“Let’s go,” he stated, carrying Rosé on his arms. The heat from her lap suddenly numbed and she felt all of her blood move northward to her face.

 

“Bobby I can walk!” Rosé tried to squirm out of Bobby’s grasp, but the latter was having none of it. Once inside the bathroom, he sat her down on top of the toilet lid and the faucet. He then took out his handkerchief and placed it under the running water before lifting her long skirt.

 

“Yah yah–” She began protesting, but it was as if Bobby heard nothing. He knelt in front of her and soon enough, her lap was exposed and he was already patting the cold handkerchief in them to soothe the pain. Her embarrassment quickly faded as she felt the relief from the hanky.

 

“Damn it, I ask you out to eat and this is what happens. I’m sorry,” he murmurs, obviously annoyed with himself.

 

“It’s not your fault, though. You don’t have to apologize.” She replied with the intention of comforting him. Bobby had been the gentlest friend, and she knows that he only wanted her to have fun.

 

Bobby was about to rebut when Hanbin’s face peered from the doorway. “Hey, is everything okay?” The new guy questioned.

 

“Ye–yes, it’s not hurting that much anymore,” Rosé shyly responded. It was damn awkward for a stranger she met for the first time in her life see her in that way, sitting on top of the toilet with someone nursing her minor burns.

 

Bobby eyed her before sighing. “I think we need to go to the hospital to be sure.”

 

Hanbin nodded at the suggestion. “Yeah, I think so too. C’mon, I’ll drive you guys. Do you think we can go later, though? The owner said the food’s on the house.” He grinned boyishly.

 

Bobby was about to disagree when Rosé beat him to it. “That’s okay! Bobby already gave me first aid, I’m sure it will be fine.” She answered. She doesn’t want to ruin their day anymore.

 

“Are you sure it’s not hurting that much?” Bobby questioned again to make sure, but Hanbin interrupted him.

 

“Dude, if she says she’s okay, she’s okay. Chill,” the other guy laughed. “Let’s go, the food will get cold.” He added before walking out first.

 

Bobby sighed, standing up. “All right. But promise me you’ll tell me as soon as it hurts, okay?” He stated, helping her up.

 

Rosé smiled lightly. “Promise.”

 

--

 

A/N: Sorry! I know I take too long to update OTL Thank you for the new subscribers and please do comment! I'd love to hear your thoughts~

P.S. Thank you so much to RuffRabbit Graphic Shop for the poster and background!!!!!! Do check them out, they make really good graphics!