{ 01 }

In The Shadows

{ 01 }

 

Aish, how did I get roped into this scheme?! Rosé quietly berated herself as she stared at her phone in despair. When she got into college, she actually thought that she would be spared from bullies but of course, her aspirations didn’t go as planned. She was known in the whole of Ilsung University’s College of Arts and Letters as the nerd who also functions as an errand girl. She was frustrated by the title in the beginning, but as time went by, she got used to it.

                                                         

If people from the outside would know about her situation, they would always ask why she doesn’t do anything to stop the bullying from happening. Rosé can say from experience that fighting it won’t really do any good. Besides, what is there to say, really? Should she risk worsening her status from the errand girl to the stupid girl who wasted her time fighting for something that won’t change? No, thanks, she thought bitterly.

 

She sighed when her phone lit up with Ahn Chaeyoung’s name. The latter was one of the popular girls in school, and she pulled Rosé into a lying scheme. Not that Rosé could refuse though, especially since Ahn Chaeyoung specifically told her that she would make her school life more difficult if she won’t comply.

 

“Go there, tell him you’re me, and then cut off contact. Forever,” was Ahn Chaeyoung’s only instruction to her. Apparently, this guy she’s meeting, Kim Jiwon, was a past friend of Ahn Chaeyoung who she wanted to get rid of now. Ahn Chaeyoung sent her a picture of the guy when he was in fourth grade, and Rosé could kind of understand why the popular it girl wanted him to get lost. Of course, being friends with a fat, glasses-wearing, bowl cut-sporting guy would definitely hurt the popularity of someone like Ahn Chaeyoung.

 

Rosé groaned to herself. Ahhh, what will I do if he mentions something I have no memory about?! I’d have to get through this so Ahn Chaeyoung will get off my back!

 

Her phone lit up once more, showing an unknown number.

 

From: Kim Jiwon

Chaeyoung-ah, I’ll be there soon. Sorry for being late! I’ll see you!

 

“Yeah, you’re late, dude,” she sighed to herself before looking around. It was a peaceful night. The breeze was light and there were a lot of people roaming around the park. Some were couples on a date, some were families having fun and taking advantage of the good weather, while some were elders who were silently sitting on benches while reading their favorite books.

 

It was Rosé’s favorite kind of atmosphere. Quiet and peaceful. She secretly smiled to herself as she breathed in the cool night breeze, closing her eyes.

 

The serenity was disturbed when her phone’s ringtone began blaring. It was the same number again, and her heart thumped at the lying she will commit to this guy. She does feel bad for him because out of all the errands she had done, she never thought that there will come a time that she will have to lie and pretend to be someone else, too. Fighting, Chaeyoungie, she cheered herself. This will be a one-time deal, and after this, it’s all over! So, hang in there!

 

She coughed before swiping the answer button. “Hello?”

 

“Oh, Chaeyoung-ah!” Kim Jiwon’s voice was jolly, and she could almost feel his excitement even from across the phone. “Where are you?”

 

“Ah, I’m here in front of the statue. I’m sitting on the bench,” she nervously answered, scratching the sides of her middle finger with her thumb. It had always been her habit whenever she was feeling anxious.

 

Jiwon was silent for a while before exclaiming, “OH! I see you, Chaeyoung-ah!!!” Rosé heard sounds of shuffling on the other line when suddenly, a shadow loomed over her hunched figure. “Chaeyoung-ah!” An excited voice twittered in front of her.

 

She blinked thrice before she finally had a sense of what was happening. OMONA, IT’S HIM! HE’S HERE NOW! All of her insides were screaming for her to run, but she took a deep breath before tilting her head up, meeting his eyes.

 

Rosé’s eyes instantly widened at the sight of Kim Jiwon. The appearance of the man standing in front of her was way, waaaaaaaaay far from what she saw in his picture as a kid. The Kim Jiwon in front of her was gloriously beautiful in his 5’8” frame. At first glance, Rosé could easily tell that the most noticeable feature of him would be his eyes and the way they disappear into tiny lines when he smiles.

 

“Chaeyoung-ah, you’re still the same!” Jiwon grinned, overjoyed. Rosé was still gaping when he sat down next to her on the bench. “Ahhh, I missed you so much!” He stated before sweeping her in for a hug, making her stiffen.

 

Jiwon felt her body go rigid and instantly let go of her. “Ah, I’m sorry, Chaeyoung-ah! I’m just really glad and thrilled to see you again after all these years!”

 

Rosé forced a smile on her face. “A–are you… really Kim Jiwon?” She asked in a small voice.

 

He looked at her before bursting into laughter. “Of course! My appearance may have changed a bit but I’m still that nerd friend of yours, you know?! And you can just call me Bobby, it’s my nickname back in the States and I’ve gotten used to it after all these years.” He added.

 

A bit?! She wanted to scream. You made a total one-eighty, Kim Jiwon-ssi!

 

She pasted another lackluster smile on her lips before nodding. “Yeah, it’s been a while, Bobby-ssi–” Rosé immediately bit her tongue at the slip. “I mean, Bobby-yah.”

 

It seemed as if he didn’t notice because he only nodded his head while smiling. “Yeah, the last time I saw you was when fourth grade ended, and then we moved away.” His expression was nostalgic, as if remembering his memories with the real Chaeyoung.

 

“Ah, how have you been, Chaeyoung-ah? Tell me about yourself!” He encouraged.

 

Uneasiness gripped at Rosé’s nerves. Yah, how would I tell you how I’ve been when it’s not me you’re asking about?! Aish I should’ve gotten acting classes before this! “Bobby, don’t you think we should find a place or something before talking? I’m… kinda hungry,” she lied to divert his attention.

 

“Oh, right!” He smiled, standing up. “I was so wrapped up in my own world that I forgot to apologize for being late. Have you been here for long already, Chaeyoung-ah? I’m sorry!”

 

Rosé shook her head. “It’s okay.” She replied as they started walking to find a place.

 

However, it seems as if Bobby had so much to tell her that he began firing off stories as soon as they walked. It was nice, seeing someone that pumped up to tell her stories. Since she doesn’t have any friends, she never had anyone who gets excited to tell her anything. It was a brand new feeling for Rosé, and she was somehow thankful to Bobby for making her experience it, even though she had to pretend to be someone else to have that attention.

 

“Do you want to eat here?” Bobby asked, pointing to a restaurant. She nodded and soon enough, they were seated inside waiting for their orders while he was still on a roll with his stories.

 

“Whew, all that talking got me thirsty,” he jested before grabbing a glass of water and drinking it in one go. “How about you? I’ve been talking about myself since we met, Chaeyoung-ah.”

 

“Me?” She nervously laughed. “Same old Pa–Ahn Chaeyoung.”

 

“Aye, after everything I told you, that’s the only thing you’ll tell me?! Come on, give me details, Chaeyoung-ah!” He even clapped his hands like a kid for an added effect, making her laugh.

 

Rosé bit her lip, scratching her brain for something to say. “Hmm, well, as you can see, nothing much really changed, Bobby. Maybe you can say that I’m still that girl you left back in fourth grade.” She shrugged in an attempt to downplay it, but she can already see the pity in his face.

 

“Chaeyoung-ah…”

 

She instantly smiled to lighten up the mood. “Yah, it’s okay. I’m okay! I’m getting by, you know. Besides, we haven’t seen each other in years and all we’d talk about was my sad life?” She shook her head. “Talk more about you, Bobby-yah.”

 

Bobby must have seen the quiet desperation in her eyes or heard it in her voice, so he started talking about himself once more. About the things he had done in the States, how he began changing, how his parents had been, and even about his dog.

 

Rosé did not even notice the time passing. Bobby was a good storyteller. He was very passionate about anything and everything that you’d have no other choice but to go along with his stories.

 

“I’m really happy to see you again, Chaeyoung-ah,” he sincerely stated before they part in front of the restaurant.

 

“Me too, Bobby-yah,” she responded, and for once she wasn’t lying. She really enjoyed the time she spent with him. She felt as if he was indeed a long-lost friend.

 

“Ah, I can’t wait for the next time we’ll see each other again!” He energetically said, removing the traces of a smile on Rosé’s face.

 

“Chaeyoung? What’s wrong?”

 

“It’s just… I… I don’t really think I’ll have much time to see you, Bobby.” She lied. “I’m studying on a scholarship and I just don’t think I’d have the time to meet with you–”

 

“Where are you studying?” He cut her off.

 

She blinked. Is it wise to tell him the truth or should I just lie? Ahhhh what to do?!

 

“Chaeyoung?” He prodded.

 

“Ilsung!” She blurted out without thinking, and she instantly wanted to smack her head for her stupidity.

 

He grinned again, showing his eye smile. “If you can’t come to me, then I’ll come to you, Chaeyoung-ah.” He slowly walked backwards, waving to her at the same time. “Bye! I’ll see you very soon, Ahn Chaeyoung!”

 

“But–!” She tried to argue, but Bobby was long gone.

 

 


 

A/N: Thank you to all the subbers! I hope you like this :))

-X