fin

Coffee Shop Breakups

Kihyun was sick of everything. He was sick of seeing other people get lucky while he still cried himself to sleep after countless dates. He was sick of his exes telling him he was "nothing beyond a cute face". He was sick of every broken relationship he has had with people of all races and genders, but like the lost, kicked puppy he was, he always came back to the exact same café seeking more love and affection.

He really needed to delete the Tinder app on his phone.

"see u at 5," the handsome stranger with the username "l.minhyuk" had messaged him.

It was already past eight at night, and not a single man remotely resembling his date had showed up. He took a sip from his Americano.

Kihyun was used to being stood up, though. It didn't affect him like it used to, but he just wished that for once he would meet a partner who would stay with him even as his true personality was revealed. A single tear rolled down his cheek at the thought. out a dejected sigh as he adjusted his coat and stood up, ready to leave.

It was then a total stranger plopped down in the seat in front of him.

Before Kihyun could ask any questions, the man opened his mouth.

"You know what? I'm sick and tired of you. We've had one fight too many," the man shouted. He must have noticed Kihyun's confused expression, because he whispered three mysterious words to him.

"Just play along."

Kihyun had lived this scene way too many times to not recognize it. A total stranger was trying to break up with him for reasons unknown, but he went along with it out of pure impulse. Maybe it was time to finally release all the anger bubbling up inside.

"I'm done with you, uhh," Kihyun yelled before flashing the man a questioning look.

"Changkyun."

"Right. That time I caught you with your coworker, Jooheon. I forgave you for that, Changkyun. And for what? You're nothing but a dirty, cheating liar!" Kihyun slammed his drink down on the table.

"You're one to talk. I still haven't forgotten the time I came home from work to see you and Hyunwoo face! My best friend with my boyfriend! Unbelievable. I can't put up with you anymore."

Each man continued to spit impromptu insults that progressively became more ridiculous as the night went on. The 'fight' had finally reached its peak, ten minutes later, leaving both men panting and wiping saliva from their lips. (a/n: they didn't make out lmao)

"I can't bear to see you at the zoo with Jooheon and Soonyoung anymore, you horrendous striped pear," Kihyun cried out, "I'm breaking up with you."

"I don't want to see your face ever again, you filthy, cheating, duck," Changkyun retorted, "I'm breaking up with you."

"I said it first, ."

"Too bad. I'm still breaking up with you."

"But not before I break up with you first!"

"But--"

"Ahem."

A nearby woman with a stroller cleared loudly and stuffed napkins in her baby's ears. The sight oddly resembled a potato with cauliflowers glued on both sides.

"Please take your conversation elsewhere," she continued, anger lacing her every word, "I can't believe that grown men such as you have the audacity to shout such inappropriate slurs in public. You're tainting my child's mind!"

The woman stormed off, pushing the stroller out the door, taking care to stomp on Kihyun's foot while she was at it.

Both men burst into laughter when they realized what they had just done.

"I never got your name," Changkyun stated after he calmed down.

"Yoo Kihyun. So, what prompted you to break up with me?"

"Just therapy, I guess. For a recent breakup."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It was nice breaking up with you. Same time tomorrow?"

"Sure."

Kihyun knew that from that day onward, he no longer needed to cry himself to sleep anymore.