Chapter 3

The PAST. The FUTURE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Eunuch Lee, could you please help me find this man mamed Kwon Jae Young?" Seung Hyun asked as the eunuch walked towards him.

"Kwon Jae Young? That name sounds familiar. If you don't mind me asking, why do you need to find him for, your majesty?"

Seung Hyun knew that he had to keep his mouth shut as he couldn't risk telling anyone that he made a new friend who was living outside the palace. He knew that the Eunuch would be livid if he knew of this matter and not only that, he might even order the maids to cover up that hole and he'll never have a chance of meeting Ji Yong again! Worse still, the Empress might get hold of this news and might even inflict punishment on Jiyong. At the thought of the Empress, Seung Hyun felt a shiver down his bone. Ever since that tiny bean of fear for the Empress was planted in him, this fear grew everyday and Seung Hyun found himself becoming more afraid to approach or even to talk to his mother.

He rarely talked to his mother but he could still remember when he was 5, he would still smile brightly at the Empress despite her cold demenour. However, now, he couldn't really bring himself to even talk much to his mother as her response would always be cold or he will be completely ignored. Only when he needed her help badly, he'll then approach her.

 

"Ah...nothing much. I just heard the imperial guards gossiping about this man. Could you please help me find his whereabouts, Eunuch Lee?" Seung Hyun lied.

"Such insolence! Who were these guards, your majesty? How dare they spread words and shoot their mouths at random in the palace and furthermore, in front of the crown prince! Could you please identify them for me so that they'll receive their punishments." The Eunuch said angrily and Seung Hyun was taken aback by the eunuch's response.

However, thinking of imperial guards, Seung Hyun thought back to the day when the two imperial guards abused that man. Perhaps he could...

"One of them had a scar on their face and the other had long, curly hair." Seung Hyun said.

"That description is too vivid, your majesty. Perhaps, you could draw their faces out for me?" Eunuch Lee asked and they immediately when to the library to find some paper and ink. 

Within minutes, Ji Yong was done with the drawing and the eunuch nodded his head and kep the drawing in his hand.

"Eunuch Lee, please remember to help me find find Kwon Jae Young." Ji Yong said as they exited the library.

"Your majesty, now that you mention it again, I remember hearing some court official discussing about this man over lunch a few days ago. He is an official that was recently imprisoned for treason. If I'm not wrong, he was executed yesterday."

"What?!" Seung Hyun screamed and the Eunuch looked at him weirdly.

Why is the crown prince having such a big reaction to a man that has nothing to do with him? Something suspicious is going on. The eunuch though to himself.

"Is he dead already? What about his family? Are they going to kill his entire family too?" Seung Hyun asked anxiously and this only aroused the eunuch's suspicion.

"This...I'm not so sure though but that is usually the case for they've bought their entire family to shame and the kingdom needs to be cleanse from these people who commit such crimes."

"But...their family...they did mothing wrong. Why m-must they be executed as well? It's not fair."

"Oh well, if one of them is like that, the entire family is bound to commit treason or other crimes too. There is no point in keeping their lives."

"It's a life we're talking about here! How can we judge an entire family based on what one of them in the family did?! This is unfair!" Seung Hyun screamed. He was boiling inside at such a lousy 'excuse' the eunuch gave just to execute someone who had done nothing wrong. Seung Hyun was also starting to get anxious at the thought of Ji yong being executed. Ji Yong was still so young and he still had a long way to go....Seung Hyun MUST save Ji Yong, but how?

"Your majesty, why are you getting all so worked up? You never seemed to have any interest with what is happening in the palace. However, your reaction and questions surprise me greatly today. Is there anything you would like to tell me as to why you are suddenly so interested in Kwon Jae Young?" The eunuch asked.

Seung Hyun shook his head no and just before he entered his study room, he asked the eunuch,"Is life always this unfair?"

"I'm afraid so, especially for those who don't have power or status. The weaker you are, the more vulnerable you are to face the unfairness in this world. I agree that it is unfair to punish the entire family just based on a crime that one of them commited, however, this was a decree given by the Empress and there is nothing much we can do." Eunuch Lee whispered softly.

"You must grow up to become a powerful and fair Emperor when you become one. Remember, life is always unfair so you have to fight for yourself and the lives of others so that this place can b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter