Rule #2 : Don't Trust Easily

Protective Noonas

CH. 2


Kihyun was merrily humming as he walked along his campus corridor. Today was supposed to be his payday and he was going to make it on time to come to work. He was working as a shop assistant in a flower shop. The shop was pretty famous around the area and that's what made him work there. The pay was well enough for him too, the working environment was satisfied and co-workers that were nice and helpful, sometimes pretty sloppy and that put Kihyun in the right position. When it comes to work, Kihyun was known to be meticulous, target-oriented and hard-worker. Other than that, he was just a cutie, a pretty one, that worked in a cute flower shop-Kihyun had to stop himself from strangling his own sibling Dasom for saying that. 

Truthfully, Kihyun loved his working place that was owned by an eccentric junior of his department on campus, Lee Jooheon. An eccentric music composer, writer, and producer who successfully sold his hip-hop album at a young age. As eccentric as he was, instead of having a clothing boutique or something, he chose to buy himself a flower shop. But maybe God of Fortune was on his side. Not only his albums got sold out, but his flower shop was also well known to youngsters and as he sensed the trend, he expanded it by adding cafe in the flower shop. He named it Flower Cafe. 

Very very creative, Kihyun just thought in disbelief. 

But Jooheon was always nice to him. A bit of childish. He loved to annoy Kihyun just to get a smack on his arms. After getting a smack, he only grinned and said, "Your smack isn't as powerful as my dear Changkyun's smack."

Oh, that crazy-in-love boy Jooheon who had a long time crush on his junior that took the same major with him, Lim Changkyun. Lim Changkyun is a I-Don't-Care-What-You're-Doing type of guy but with a good manner towards people who are older than him (except maybe Jooheon who irritatingly always tried to ask him on a date). He is a handsome fella with a slender body like Kihyun, known as a smart one and easily influenced. Kihyun accidentally knew Changkyun when he met Jooheon on the campus, standing near a bench where a guy nonchalantly plugged his ears with earphones sat while Jooheon wholeheartedly singing a sweet song with his wooden guitar. It was quite a sight to see. Kihyun laughed uncontrollably even until he had to come to his next class caused him to be lectured in front of the class by his lecturer about mannerism.

As he was standing in front of the gym, he paused himself. It was quiet and nobody around. He knew that most of his friends were having lunch or skipping class. He walked aimlessly to kill time ( too lazy to drag his to the same class where he was lectured about mannerism in front of the class) and somehow ended up in gym hall. He decided to play basketball by himself so he went inside.

Unfortunately, he was wrong. About an unoccupied gym. 

Because he had just seen a shirtless guy throwing balls into the basket. Kihyun froze in spot and he wanted to turn his body when his eyes accidentally caught by the shirtless guy's eyes. They just stared for almost a minute where suddenly Kihyun realized the guy was already standing in front of him, tilting his head as if he tried to analyze Kihyun.

"Who are you?" That guy was asking in unamused tone, more like disturbed.

Kihyun startled." No--nobody." Okay, it wasn't what Kihyun wanted to sound. Being intimidated. But who didn't? This guy was huge. His biceps are thick and huge, like his own thighs.

Ok, maybe not. 

His chest and shoulder were as broad as a cruise ship and his height was more than average. But of all his appearance, this guy reflected ominous aura, intimidating and haughty.

This shirtless guy (and why was he shirtless?) squinted his small eyes. 

Kihyun gulped. But no matter how much he wanted to run, he just stood there.

Getting no response, the guy turned his body and went to continue his activity.

Kihyun managed to turn his body to walk when his shoes made a horrible screeching sound on the floor that was resonated loudly due to his abrupt action. He froze and looked at that guy who was looking at him, irritated. Kihyun grinned and ran as fast as he could.

*

Soyou and Bora walked near the big hotel. They were working in the same hotel where Bora worked as Assistant Manager / Public Relation and Soyou worked in a luxurious gym in the hotel. Working in the same place didn't make them emotionally attached to each other in the working place. Instead, they showed their professionalism and their working field was totally different. It was a rare thing for sisters to work in the same company and usually, the company doesn't allow that to avoid a family drama that might happen. But Soyou and Bora convinced their supervisor that they could work professionally without being dependent on each other and because their works don't really relate to each other, the company agreed to keep their position.

Soyou wore her usual fitted sports wear and Bora in a formal working outfit. They walked and sat near the swimming pool while opening their lunch that was lovingly made by their beloved youngest Kihyun.

"Whoaa, he made my favorite meal, unnie." Soyou exclaimed happily. A healthy but still looked delicious meal has been prepared by Kihyun before her sisters left for work.

Bora nodded and spooned her meal. " Ah, that kid. Sometimes I'm worried if he's got a girlfriend and married. What would we be without him?"

"U-hmm," Soyou's mouth was full so she only hummed.

"You know, I never know any of his girlfriends. Has he ever introduced someone to you?" Bora asked curiously after swallowing her piece of meat.

Soyou scrunched her forehead and moved her eyes to the right corner of her eyes, thinking hard. "As far as I can remember, no. He's never brought or introduced anyone to me, unnie."

"He's never right? Mm, does it mean he's never interested in any girls?" Bora leaned to the chair.

Soyou who was still in a deep thought widened her eyes. " What if .. ah .. what if, unnie, what if he doesn't like a girl?" She asked hesitantly.

Bora was quiet for a while. "Well, it possibly happens. Besides, our Kihyunnie is very cute and quite pretty too." 

Bora laughed lightly.

"And he's got nice voice. Good in cooking," Soyou added.

"And he's smart and has good manners," Bora stopped her words and looked at Soyou in horror. "What if he likes a scumbag??"

Soyou widened her eyes but quickly shook her head. "No! No! Unnie, maybe he just hasn't found someone that he likes? We also have never introduced someone, right?"

Bora tilted her head. "That's true. Maybe he hasn't found someone that he likes so much." Bora started to eat again.

Soyou snorted. " Even if he's dating a guy, that guy must be able to beat me first before he can take our Kihyunnie out! Or if she is a girl, she must be able to cook better than our Kihyunnie! If not, forget that he or she'll get my blessing!"

Bora laughed wholeheartedly seeing Soyou's fiery comment. She patted Soyou's arms that were toned and firm. "Yes, our Soyou! He must beat these muscles to get Kihyunnie! Or she must cook better than our lunch now!"

Soyou laughed too. "Unnie, aren't we putting such a high standard now for Kihyunnie's future lover?"

"No. There is no such a high standard. Because our Kihyunnie is so precious, remember that." Bora said in a firm tone.

Soyou just nodded in agreement and they both continued their lunch.

*

Kihyun cut the roses' stems carefully and placed the flower inside a bucket that contained enough tepid water. The roses would be delivered at 7 pm and it's still 3 pm. They had to be fresh when they are delivered. 

When Kihyun was busy cutting and arranging flowers, Jooheon came and patted his back.

Startled and shocked whilst holding sears in his hands, Kihyun definitely looked like a murderer at the moment.

"Hyung, you're scary!" Jooheon inched backward holding a magazine as his armor.

Kihyun glared and huffed. It's supposed to be him that felt scary. Working in the flower shop by himself while the florist had gone to buy other supplies and the employees of the cafe were busy baking, making drinks and serving guests. Everyone was busy so if there was a kidnapper came in and subdued him, no one would know. 

As if any kidnapper would kidnap him anyway ...

Jooheon smiled. He playfully picked a tulip and put it in Kihyun's hair, just above his ear. He inched backward again and smiled. "That looks pretty on you .."

Kihyun just stayed quiet. He then blinked his eyes. "Jooheon-ah, are you drunk?"

Jooheon smiled cutely but then he changed into serious one while asking, "Do you think if I do that to Changkyun, he will have the same reaction just like you now, hyung?"

Kihyun facepalmed himself and shook his head. "Jooheon, please don't disturb me. I have works to do."

Jooheon kept asking him. "Hyung, hyung, answer me first. I'm going to do that to Changkyun tomorrow but I plan it more romantically." he smiled to himself while daydreaming about his scenario.

Kihyun was about to answer when the shop's door was opened and the wind chimes were chiming, indicating someone had just entered the door. 

The guest was bowing his head to dusted off something in his leather jacket when he lifted his head, Kihyun was shocked. 

That was the shirtless guy!

Jooheon was shocked first then he shouted happily, "Hyung!" he ran to the guy and hugged him tightly.

Kihyun was only opening his mouth, tried to say something but he kept his hand on his mouth and lowered himself down until fully covered by that large cashier table that he used to arrange the flowers too. He cursed nervously and hoped Jooheon talked to the man and ignored Kihyun's presence, of which only Kihyun's hope and that was a zero percentage since Jooheon was glancing at him over the table, "What are you doing, hyung?"

Kihyun stuttered and pretended to search something.

"I-uh oh drop something here. Mmm, let me find it first," Kihyun was moving his hands on the floor, searching for his non-existent thing.

Another head popped out and glancing at him over the table. The shirtless guy's head. "Who is he, Jooheon-ah?" His voice was deep and surprisingly nice to be heard.

"He is.., ah Kihyun hyung, just find whatever you're looking for later. I want you to meet my hyung here." Jooheon took a peek again at Kihyun's back head who was too afraid to lift his head.

"Your hyung?! Since when you-ah!" Kihyun who abruptly wanted to stand up hit the edge of the table with a thud sound. He stood up and rubbed his bud head. That's when he saw the Shirtless guy's eyes were fixed on him.

"Hyung, are you okay? Geez, you're old enough to not be careful, hyung." Jooheon asked him but also mocking him.

Kihyun only grinned. But the Shirtless guy's expression remained the same. It was too flat, too robotic style. He was only watching the whole scene with his sharp gaze.

"Oh, Kihyun hyung, this is Hyunwoo hyung. He was my parents' best friend's son. Hmmph, it's too complicated. Let's just say he is my hyung! Hyunwoo hyung, this is Kihyun hyung, my only trusted employee in this flower shop." Jooheon introduced them both.

Kihyun bowed his head in a respectful manner and replied with a hesitant bow by Hyunwoo. He didn't even say anything at the moment.

"Hey, hyung, why are you so stiff? C'mon, shake your hands to Kihyun hyung too." Jooheon tried to break the awkward situation since both men in front of him were too quiet. 

It was unusual from Kihyun's side. He is usually cheerful, pretty loud, really friendly and would engage in conversation without being asked to.

Hyunwoo, the shirtless guy extended his hand and nodded. "Nice to meet you again, Kihyun-ssi." 

Kihyun shook his hand and bowed a bit. However awkward he was now, this shirtless man is his boss's senior.

Jooheon suddenly remembered something. " Hyunwoo hyung, weren't you student also in Art and Performance Department? You attended the same university as Kihyun hyung!"

Kihyun furrowed his eyebrow. "Oh? What year, Hyunwoo-ssi?"

Hyunwoo replied shortly, "2011."

"You were my senior! Wow. But I didn't see you often at that time on campus? I took another Post-degree now in music, Hyunwoo-ssi. Still in the same university." Kihyun said cheerfully. His smile was wider now.

Hyunwoo only nodded. Jooheon said, "Hyunwoo hyung is also taking post-degree program hyung. In business management now. That's why you both didn't meet often or know each other."

"Oh, we've just met at campus!" Kihyun exclaimed.

Hyunwoo raised one of his brows. Jooheon asked curiously, "Really? Why are you guys acting like you don't know each other just now?"

Kihyun stammered, "Uh-that's-" He didn't finish his sentence when Hyunwoo just patted Jooheon's shoulder. 

"Hey, you're asking too much! Now, c'mon, take me to your cafe. I want to taste your famous spaghetti carbonara."

Jooheon pouted. "I didn't ask too much, hyung. Alright, let me go to the toilet first hyung." Jooheon smiled widely and then ran to the toilet in the back of the shop.

Kihyun was left alone with shirt--no, Hyunwoo and he just smiled nervously. "Hyunwoo-ssi, you really are my senior. What major did you take for your Bachelor's Degree?" Kihyun tried to open a conversation.

Hyunwoo didn't respond immediately. He casually looked around, sniffed some flowers and touched some of them. "It's an interesting place of work, Kihyun-ssi."

Kihyun responded. "U-huh..."

Hyunwoo was looking at Kihyun now. He was walking towards Kihyun who stepped back due to close proximity he had with Hyunwoo now. "Kinda make us remember about our first meeting, right?" He spoke in a low voice. 

Kihyun didn't know how to respond. He just stared absent-mindedly.

Hyunwoo stared at him intently and when he felt that he had intimidated Kihyun enough with his question (although he didn't quite know why would Kihyun felt intimidated), he retreated and simply said, "I think that we'll meet more often in the future, Kihyun-ssi."

Kihyun just widened his eyes. 

He sounds like trouble. Big trouble. I shouldn't trust this kind of person. Must avoid, Kihyun thought to himself.

If only he knew what the future would bring him into ...