Rule #1 : Strong Bond

Protective Noonas

CH. 1


Soyou was standing still. Her tears rolled down as she saw the body of her parents being cremated. Beside her, Bora and Hyorin held on to each other while sobbing. Soyou was the third child but she was the strongest out of them. She had the courage to say what's on her mind and never failed to act on it. She claimed herself as Family Watcher who would guard her not-so-little family safe and sound.

Hyorin's mind was cloudy. She was staring and sobbing in disbelief. Life was cruel, everyone knew that. But the term got so real as she saw her parents' body was being cremated in front of her eyes, leaving 5 heartbroken children behind. 

She was worried about the twins more than herself or her other sisters. The twins were soft-hearted people, it would be so painful to let them understand that the world would never be the same again as their parents were passing away, leaving them to stand on their own.

Bora, as the eldest, bit her lips to stop herself from crying out loud. Her eyes reflected the burning flame that consumed her parents' bodies. Her heart was shattered in pieces and she felt a heavy lump in her chest and throat. She turned to see Hyorin and Soyou's faces. For a moment, they were exchanging gazes but they could understand each other that they were sharing their strength to each other, knowing that they had to be strong now to keep their family.

The three of them breathed heavily as the bodies of their parents slowly wholly consumed by fire. They held their hands and as Hyorin leaned her head in Soyou's shoulder, they cried their last goodbyes to their parents.

 

PRESENT DAY 

Bora woke up in the morning with her messy hair. She scratched her hair and looked around her. Hyorin was sleeping next to her with snorting sound. Soyou was sleeping in the mattress on the floor, entangled with Dasom, one of their youngest. Kihyun wasn't in sight, but he was sleeping with his sisters last night. A night like this when they commemorated their parents' birthdays or anniversaries, they would gather in Bora's room as she was the eldest, shared stories and memories of their parents, ate late-night snacks, played games and eventually fell asleep in the same room, exhausted. It was always Kihyun who got up first, washed dishes and cooked their breakfast. 

Bora, Hyorin, Soyou and even Dasom (who was older than Kihyun for about 15 minutes because they were twins), felt overly affectionate toward their little brother. Kihyun was a type of cheerful, diligent and responsible young man but sometimes his spoiled nature would come out probably because his sisters overly showered him with their affection since he was still baby. Fortunately, he grew up as an obedient and sweet guy which made his noonas showered him more with their loves. 

Just like this morning, Kihyun prepared to make breakfast for his noonas ( older sister) after washing dishes that were left out last night. He sometimes just rolled his eyes whenever he saw his noonas deliberately put their dishes after eating into the sink, too lazy to wash them. But Kihyun didn't bother to wash them because he knew how hard his noonas had been working to pay half of his and Dasom's education fees. He was always thankful for his noonas and that's why he also worked part-time to pay his own needs. So he made sure to cook only delicious food for his noonas; since his noonas didn't have excellent skill in cooking without making the food burnt or the pan itself burnt, overcooked or uncooked well or tasteless and other time too salty-too sour-too sweet. 

Bora staggered to walk outside without stepping one of her sisters but to no avail. Soyou was the first screaming in pain when Bora accidentally stepped on her hands. 

"Aaaargh!!" Soyou screamed so loud.

The screaming woke the other sisters who woke up in dazed eyes while looking at each other, trying to figure out what happened. 

"Soyou-ya, sorry, uh, which one is hurt?" Bora looked so guilty.

 Kihyun, upon hearing his sister screaming, ran to the room and asked, " What happened? What-" His eyes looked at Soyou who rubbed his hands and Bora who grinned saying sorry.

Hyorin shrugged in confusion and Dasom yawning. 

She said, " Bora unnie stepped on Soyou unnie' hands." And she proceeded to sleep again.

Kihyun couldn't hold his laughter. He was still laughing when he went back to the kitchen. 

Soyou snorted, "That spoiled brat just laughed at me!"

Bora patted Soyou's head and said, "Yah! He's your brother!"

Soyou retorted, "I'm also his sister and your sister!" She jutted her lower lip.

Bora couldn't help but smile. "Aaah, Soyou-ya, you're so cute when you do this!"

Hyorin laughed out her infamous screeching sounds. "Ooh, our cute little sister .." and got a pillow that was successfully landed on her face.

"Ok, let's just get up. C'mon Soyou-ya, wake Dasom. Hyorin, stop screeching like a mouse! Let's have breakfast." Bora rose up and walked out of the room. 

"I'm not screeching!" Hyorin pouted. Soyou still winced and Dasom continued to sleep until Soyou patted her harshly. 

*

"Kihyun-ah, what is this?" Hyorin asked in confusion, scanning her breakfast.

"It's baked oat porridge, noona. With banana, blueberry and condensed milk mixed in it. We can add maple syrup or chocolate one. " Kihyun ate his breakfast happily.

"Oat? Bleh." Dasom stuck her tongue out.

"You said we need to diet. It's a diet meal, you know. " Kihyun stuck his tongue out too. For a moment, he and Dasom had who-stick-their-tongue-out-longer competition when Soyou hit their heads softly, telling them to continue eating. 

Bora who had finished her meal stood out. " I have to go now." She said, putting her dish into the sink.

"Where're you going unnie?" Dasom asked, bit her oat hesitantly. She hated dieting but her sisters told her to do that in order to help her to join modeling or movie castings. That's why her sisters also were on a diet to support her.

"I got extra weekend hours this week which means, extra pays. Yihaaaa!" Bora screamed happily.

"Yiipiiee, we can buy that new lipstick we saw unnie at that shop!" Dasom screamed too.

Bora grinned. "No, no! I will save it."

"Noooo! Why??" Dasom asked in disbelief.

Kihyun kicked Dasom's feet under the table. He glared at her but Dasom still didn't understand.

Bora smiled gently. " It's for us, in case of an emergency. Not that I hope we get an emergency situation. You need money to join castings, Kihyun needs money to pay his music tuition. So, we need to save as much as possible."

Dasom gulped. She hit her head and made Kihyun chuckled, even though inside Kihyun felt so sad. 

"Unnie," Dasom's eyes were watery now. Her sisters and brother knew how soft Dasom's heart was. A simple thing could make her burst in tears. 

So Bora quickly held her and laughed, "Yah! That's why you should study well so you can graduate sooner and save us from troubles, understand." 

Dasom nodded and hid her face in Bora's arms. Kihyun bit his lips to hold his tears. Being Dasom's twin made him able to feel what Dasom felt. It's a funny connection he had with Dasom. So he pretended to keep eating. 

Soyou, as the strongest one of them (physically and mentally), cleared and said, " Okay. Let's just eat and we'll walk out together today. How does it sound?"

Dasom stuck her head out of Bora's arms and nodded cheerfully. She and Kihyun screamed simultaneously, " To the theme park!" which was followed by Hyorin's groan. 

Soyou and Bora only laughed.

***

 

 

A/N    Hi all ... 

         It was a short chapter, just to let you see a glimpse of Yoon family (yes, I took Bora's surname as their family name)

         I need to prepare other things so I only managed to write down this.

         Next chapter will be longer :D

         Please leave a thought, upvote or anything if you like ^^

         And spread love for Sistar and Monsta X

         and our beloved ShowKi!

         (edited 4/6/20)