What's In A Name?

Things That Happen At Starbucks

What's In A Name?

 

 

"He hasn't taken his eyes off you yeeet." My friend, Dara, says in a coy manner. I roll my eyes at her, unimpressed and walk away from her spot at the cashier. 

We're talking about a very handsome, and a very faithful, customer. He comes in twice a night to get the same order of coffee every time. White chocolate mocha. Extra cream. I grimace at the thought.

I hate white chocolate mocha.

Sighing, I look up to see Dara talk with said customer at the cashier. The man ordering his coffee (or is he a young boy?) flutters his large eyes my way before shyly looking back at Dara. He's talking to her and Dara is nodding her head at everything he's saying. I snort at this. Dara probably isn't even listening to him. She already knows his order by heart. She's probably thinking of something sneaky. I thought to myself, suddenly wary of my friend's actions.

Just as I was pondering about this, her eyes are playfully looking at me, not even bothering to hide the fact that she knows he wants me to make his coffee. And like always, Dara will casually give me his order while ignoring the fact that I have others to attend to. Rolling my eyes, I turn away and continue on the tea I'm making.

Stupid deer-looking boy. I think while looking at the ice drop into the tea. It soaks up the pink color before settling in. Once Dara-yah is done, she'll come straight to me and give me his order. A large white chocolate mocha with extra cream. Gosh, that's so sweet it's nasty. 

"Bom-ah!" Dara skips to me and hands me the order. Her smile is almost as sickly sweet as the coffee I'm going to hate to make. "Here you go." She practically sings to me. Forcing a smile, I take the cup from her. There's a snicker behind us and I know it's Chaelin. 

Traitor.

"Let me guess. One grande chocolate mocha with extra cream?" I ask, not really needing to know the answer. 

"You know it." Says Dara as she flamboyantly flips around. Smiling, I do the same and finish making the tea. Stalking over to the counter, I slam the drink down.

"RIRI!?" I shout, causing a few others to jump. Soon, a short man with a smile walks up to the counter and grabs his tea. He winks at me and I can feel Chaelin roll her eyes. Smirking a bit, I laugh at the customer's large grin. His name is Seungri and he's such a flirt. "Tone it down Casanova." I say with mirth. Seungri only chuckles.

"Tell Chaelin-ah that next time I want her to make my tea. Spit and all." He turns away laughing and I sneak a peek over my shoulder. Chaelin's face is suddenly red with embarrassment. The customer she is serving is laughing at her and that embarrasses her even further. Mumbling something under her breath, the blonde shoots a deep glare Seungri's way.

"I hate him." I hear as I walk past her. She see's the smirk on my face and scowls. "Be quiet Bom-unnie." Chaelin hisses. "Why don't you go get Luhan's drink so he can get out of here?" With that name said, my smirk disappears and it's my turn to scowl at her. Chaelin's lips lift at the corner of but she says no more as I go behind her to the coffee beans.

Luhan.

That's his name.

As I ready my cup, I can't help but feel all of a sudden anxious. It's like I can more feel Luhan's stare than actually see him staring. Quite frankly, I don't like the feeling of being watched by him and his large, bright eyes. It's uncomfortable and it makes me feel vulnerable. Taking a shaky breath, I look behind me.

Oh.

Oh man.

He's definitely staring.

Blushing, I turn away and my heart is beating fast. He doesn't even look bothered that I caught him! Chills run up my arms and I shiver. Daring another look, Luhan's eyes blink and he tilts his head. He's suddenly smiling. I turn away again and angrily crush the ice and coffee beans into the blender. Dara's snickering as she serves another at the cash register and Chaelin is laughing at the serving counter. What's this guy's problem? 

As fast as I could, I make Luhan's coffee. It hardly takes three minutes and I reach the serving counter in record time. I don't slam his drink onto the counter even though I want to. Like, really want to but my hands are shaking and I don't know why. What the? I think. My own actions confuse me but in a loud voice, I say the name labeled on the cup out loud.

"ONE WHITE CHOCOLATE MOCHA GRANDE WITH EXTRA CREAM FOR LUHAN!" My voice is loud and I see the same customers jump out of their seats. Seeing as his name was called, the pretty boy literally almost runs out of his seat. He's trying to make his way up to the counter before I run away.

Smart boy.

But I'm a step ahead and say a quick, "Here you go." and disappear. There's a faint Thank you behind me and I ignore it as I go to another order. From the corner of my eyes, I can see Dara frowning. Ignoring her disapproving look, I smile in content as the anxious feeling I had disappeared. Happily, I began with rinsing the blender.

My happiness doesn't last for long as Dara's stomps storm over my way. 

Here we go. I think bitterly. 

"Yah! Bom-ah! That was rude!" She scolded in a loud and yet hushed voice. Rolling my eyes to her, I stare and go back to my job. Dara doesn't take this lightly at she stomps her foot and places her tiny hands on her hips, tilting them to an angle. Her, Oh no you don't! angle. 

Lord, spare me now. I think.

"Why won't you give Lulu a chance?" She asks. I raise a brow at this sudden name.

Lulu? Is he a girl? Shaking my head, I smile at my small friend. "I don't want to date anyone right now. You know that." My voice drops a tone at the end, hinting at her that I do not want to talk about this right now. However, it seems Dara doesn't want to listen today as she rolls her eyes. Biting my lower lips, I growl a bit. "Dara-yah." I hiss. "I mean it!"

Only the Lord and Dara knows what really went down with my last relationship.

However, instead of showing any kind of love and support, Dara continues to roll her eyes and glares at me. "Get over it." She demands. The shock in me is so great that my mouth hangs open. Sensing my disbelief, Dara roughly grabs my arm and brings me closer to her small build. "What will it take for you to get over it and give that poor, beautiful, not to mention young, single man a chance?" Her voice is kind of loud and I even seem to hear a small gasp a little distance away.

Ignoring it (it's probably Chaelin trying to eavesdrop anyway), I look Dara in the eye. Truthfully, I tell her this.

"He's going to have to trick me into going out with him." There's a silence that grows between the two of us and for a moment, her eyes flicker away. With that, I release myself from her grip and go back to begin my next order. I ignore Dara and Chaelin as I do so.

Which means I totally miss the way their lips curl into a devious smirk. And I miss the way their eyes go to Luhan who is looking sad. And I miss the way he catches their looks. And I miss the way he grins.

Deviously.

 


 

"Here you go!" Dara grins as she happily gives me Luhan's order.

Faking a smile, I ask, "Let me guess. One grande chocolate mocha with extra cream?" Dara's grin grows cheeky.

"You know it." And she turns away. Apparently, out conversation doesn't deter her, Chaelin, or Luhan in the slightest. I go to begin his order. Apparently, doing his order without distraction means I miss how Chaelin quickly ushers Luhan over and Dara is already whispering things to him. 

The minute I'm done, I look over my shoulder to see a patient Luhan smiling shyly my way. For some reason, his eyes are different. They're smoldering with something I'm not familiar with and I grow a anxious, even a little curious. Clearing my throat, I try ignore him and continue his drink in silence. Once I'm done, I place Luhan's order on the counter. "ONE WHITE CHOCOLATE MOCHA GRANDE WITH EXTRA CREAM FOR LUHAN!" I say out loud in a clear voice. Few customers jump in their seats and I turn away. I go to begin my next order. It's only until I begin to blend some ice that Dara clears . Ignoring her, I finish blending the ice and begin the next step.

"Bom-ah," she begins, "you called out the wrong order." My movement freezes. 

What'd she just say? Quickly turning around, I face Dara and frown. She points to the counter and I look.

Luhan's cup is still there. 

Raising a brow, I walk over and pick the cup up. To my amusement, the name on the cup says Lulu. My eyes immediately gravitate to Luhan and I raise a brow. His shy smile turns even shier, as if realizing the name he's actually offered to put on the cup. A blush is violently covering his cheeks now as I continue to stare.

Huh. He's actually kind of cute. Shaking my head from those thoughts, I smile and say in a clear voice, "Lulu~!" To both our amazement, my voice is in a sing-song kind of tone and is even teasing him a little bit. This makes Luhan smile gently as he slowly goes up to get his drink. However, I'm already gone to do another drink by the time he arrives at the counter.

I miss the way he grabs his cup gently and gives a thumbs up to Dara and Chaelin.

They give a thumbs up in return.

:::::::

"Here you go!" Dara hands me Luhan's cup with an endearing grin.

"Let me guess. One grande chocolate mocha with extra cream?" I ask, not needing an answer.

"You know it." She turns away from and I smile a bit. I go again to fix his drink. Luhan's eyes are on me and for some reason, I'm less anxious than usual. It almost puts me in a happy mood. 

Humming a tune, I finish his order and place his cup on the counter. Looking at the name, I almost flinch away. Not out of disgust but out of surprise. 

Bom, be mine? it says.

I snort and fold my arms. Luhan is looking my way and he's smiling. Does he really expect me to say this? I think and turn to look at Chaelin. The blonde just fixes me a glare and I suddenly hate how she's my friend and our store manager. You've got to be kidding me. Gulping just a bit, I fix a toothy grin. "B-Bom, be mine?" I call out. No customers jump and the regulars look my way in curiosity. Luhan jumps at this and almost runs to the counter.

I stay there and watch him. His eyes light up as he reaches the counter, elated that I haven't left yet. Staring at Luhan, I look closer and come to the conclusion that he is a younger man. Way younger than someone who should be interested in someone like me working at Starbucks at my age. I frown at him and realize that this is actually the first time we'll be having a conversation.

It makes me a bit nervous.

"A-Ah..." He begins. His voice is just like his face. Young, soft, beautiful, sweet. I wrinkle my nose. "Your answer? Please?" There's an accent as Luhan speaks and it's actually kind of cute. Still, my lips curl a bit on the edge.

"Sorry." I say. "Not interested in being anyone's."

"GRAH!" Dara shouts suddenly. We both turn and see Dara stomp her feet and 'try to fix' the cashier. It works for Luhan but I knew better. She was very angry at me. "This stupid thing!" She continues to shout. 

"I'm not stupid." I mumble under my breath. Luhan catches it and he grins. 

"That's fine. I'll see you tomorrow night then, Bom." A ghost of a smirk passes his lips before they turn into a genuine smile. 

"Don't come back anytime soon." I say back and turn away. I don't get far because Dara suddenly gets in my face and her beautiful face is scrunched up in anger. 

Oh yeah. I think, a smile teasing my lips. She's pissed.

:::::::

"Here you go." Dara, completely forgetting yesterday (or maybe she's ignoring it?), hands me Luhan's cup with a smile.

"Let me guess. One grande chocolate mocha with extra cream?" I asked taking the cup. Nodding her head, Dara spins around and calls over her shoulder.

"You know it." She goes back to the cashier in a good mood. I laugh to myself, thinking that she wouldn't be in that mood for long. Humming, I make Luhan's order. It's so routine that I don't remember the next steps but I find myself by the counter and placing his cup on its surface. Taking a moment, I look at what he's got on his order this time.

Go out with me tonight? it reads. Despite myself, I giggle. It's a really girlish giggle and I can't help it. "Go out with me tonight!?" My voice is clear and Luhan stumbles over to the counter for his order. Picking up his cup, he looks at me, hopeful. Placing my hands on my hips, I steal Dara's pose and angle my hips to the side. "Yeah, not tonight." I answer before he even gets a word in. The young man before me just smiles.

"Perhaps tomorrow night then?" Luhan tries. Playfully rolling my eyes, I shake my head.

"Nope." Is my reply, I pop the 'p' as I do so. For some reason, Luhan chuckles. It shocks me a bit that his laugh is actually deep. There is a burn by my ears as I feel a blush come through. "Not even tomorrow night." I add quickly, trying to stop my face from turning red. Luhan raises his cup and bids me farewell. 

Sighing, I look at Dara and she is talking to another customer. The lady she's talking to is creeping away because, to my amusement, Dara's left eye is twitching rapidly. 

Oh yeah, not in a good mood. I laugh and go back.

:::::::

It continues like that for a while. Dara drops me off Luhan's order, I make it, deny Luhan's advances and then Dara gets angry. It's a fun cycle. I even find myself enjoying Luhan's arrival to see what he'll put on his order next. Every night I make a grande chocolate mocha with extra cream. One time he asked me why I wait for him to make his order if I already know he'll be there waiting.

I couldn't answer him and that made Luhan grin.

The next time he comes back, his coffee says Do you like spending time with me? That night I gave Luhan no cream. It didn't seem to bother him as much as it bothered Chaelin and Dara. Luhan's orders always came with something like, Come with me tonight?, I adore you, I like you, How about tonight?, Luhan is handsome, Luhan is a dork?, Luhan likes me! and so on.

Tonight's order said;

I like you, Luhan.

Rolling my eyes, I manage a smile and see that Luhan is covering his pink face in his hands. "I like you, Luhan!" I call out, not realizing the words I say. Luhan gets up and and picks up his order with a fierce blush on his way. I look at him, curious. Why is he...? Shaking my head, I turn back around and clean the blender.

I miss the way customers giggle at Luhan who can barely make it out the door. I also miss how Dara and Chaelin share a hidden gleeful smile.

I miss the words entirely.

:::::::

The next night is the same as always. Luhan is ordering with Dara at the cashier and I'm waiting around patiently. It's a quiet Thursday night. Patiently I wait, my fingers drumming against the counter I'm leaning against. There's a sudden ache in my back and I'm reminded of my age. Grimacing at the thought, I sigh.

Dara and Luhan are chatting away. Blowing a strand of auburn hair away from my face, I sigh. I don't mind them talking, I'm actually enjoying the peace.

"Here you go!" Dara sneaks up on me with a dainty grin. I don't know how she does that. Still, my hands reach for my mouth to hold back a scream. Dara's eyes scream "mischief" but I ignore it and roughly take the cup from her. 

"Let me guess," I begin, "one grande chocolate mocha with extra cream?" Dara's grin turns into a smile that's bigger than usual. Raising a brow, I ask, "What is it?" She shakes her head.

"It's nothing. Anyways..." Dara speaks as she literally twirls to go back. "You know it." She calls over her shoulders and skips away. Frowning a bit, I do the usual. Making Luhan's drink, I do my daily glance at him. Luhan is, to no surprise, watching me. The corner of my lips twitch up ward and I have to smack myself to stop them from doing that.

In a span of no more than three minutes, I'm done and am presenting Luhan's drink to me. "Luhan!" I shout. A few customers jump at this. "Will you go out with me?" Suddenly, Luhan grins. I frown a bit. 

This grin is different than others. His posture as he walks to me looks different than usual. And his eyes are dancing more than they should be.

What's with him all of a sudden? There's snickering behind me. I have half a nerve to shoot a glare to Dara and Chaelin but I don't. My full attention is on Luhan. As he makes his way over, Luhan's grin gets even larger and chills are shooting up my arm. This is different. I think to myself and push his order to him. "Umm, Luhan go out with me?" 

Those words don't even process in my head.

"Yes," he answers immediately, "yes I would love to out with you." As he says this, I scrunch my brows in confusion. Luhan is almost laughing at my expression and then adds, "I'll pick you up when you get off at eight."

"..."

"..."

"...wait, what?" I whisper, suddenly horrified. Luhan's grin is a winning grin and I quickly look to his cup. Luhan, go out with me?

Luhan, go out with me? 

Luhan, go out with me!?

"L-LUHAN, GO OUT WITH ME?!" I shout, nearly screeching. The words are finally, finally processing and I'm just baffled. "I-I.." I begin. Speechless is what I am and my stomach is doing flips. My cheeks are suddenly turning red and Dara and Chaelin are laughing in the background. I can't be sure how loud they are because blood is pumping through me so loud that all I can really see and hear is Luhan. 

Luhan is grinning. Luhan who is chuckling. Luhan who has...

"Huh." I say suddenly. The embarrassed flush is slowly leaving. Frowning, I look to Luhan with large, betrayed eyes. "I feel like I've been tricked." Is all I muster up to say. 

"I tricked you." He confirmed and grabbed his drink. "You said you would give me a chance if I tricked you. And so I decided..." He trailed off with a happy, silly grin. The more I stared at him, the cuter he got. I was torn between smiling at Luhan from the counter or reaching over and punching him.

Dara's laughter reached my ears. I felt like doing the latter.

Still... I think, hesitating. I guess...a kind of guy who goes through as many rejections as he did does deserve at least one date. So instead of punching Luhan, I give him a sincere smile. One I mean from the bottom of my heart. Luhan is unprepared because his grin falters and he's suddenly a blushing, stammering, fidgeting mess. Giggling, I say, "Well... You tricked me. Congratulations." 

Luhan perks at this. "Y-You really mean it!?" He asks. I try not to notice the happy tears forming in the corner of his eyes. Some how though, the thought of making someone this happy fills my insides with a gooey, gushing warmth. 

"I'm a woman of my word." Dara snorts at this and I glare at her.

Luhan is practically radiating happiness as he sighs happily. "Thanks, you won't regret this!" He encourages. Rolling my eyes, I pat his arm nonetheless.

"It's a date then. Pick me up at eight and I'll treat us somewhere nice." I say this sweetly and shoo Luhan away.

"But I couldn't--" Raising my hand, I stop Luhan's sentence. He looks at me worried.

"Nuh uh uh~!" I tease in a sing son voice. "I did ask you out, after all." Luhan must hear the stubbornness in my voice because he easily relents.

Luhan nods his head in final agreement. "Okay, I'll pay for the next date and plan everything." Winking at me, he suddenly runs out of Starbuck with the wind behind him. 

Curious. I think nothing of it. Turning back around, I see Dara with another order and Chaelin who has a gleam in her eye. Immediately I grow wary. "What is it?" I ask. Dara skips to me and hands me a cup. 

"Nothing. Here you go!" She cheers and twirls back around. As she heads to the cashier, Chaelin is watching me. I watch her back.

"What is it Chaelin-ah?" I ask her. 

"You did hear him say he would pay for the next date, didn't you?" She questions and soon leaves me. I ponder about that. For some reason, Chaelin's words are hitting me but I don't seem to figure it out. Shrugging them off, I pay them no mind and continue my job.

Three drinks later, I stop.

"...wait, what?!"

 


(A/N: There's mini (read lines, an actually long) story number one! These one-shots may or may not refer to one another in here. This story is for whenever I feel like taking a break from my other stories. Hence, I wanted to take a break. HAHA! Anyways, 2NE1 is obviously my bias so I'm pairing them with a couple other people. Read and review! Also, if anyone works at Starbucks (I do not despite living where I do **hint*), feel free to message me what you guys do. Or if you guys speak coffee language, that'd be awesome too! HAHA.

I would love to work at Starbucks one day.)