05. Gray

Of Contact Lenses and Forearm Messages (SHINHWA Version)

“Good morning!” I greeted as the bell on the front door rang, signaling that a customer has arrived. I resumed putting cinnamon buns on the display shelf and when I blinked, the color of the world changed into something… dull.  The feel of the color was sort of sad. I didn’t know how to describe it. There was a sudden crack of thunder and then rain started pouring. As I looked outside and saw the rain, I realized that whatever this color was, it suited the weather.

I went over to the cash register when I saw that there was someone ready to pay for their bread. As I was taking care of it, I caught writing on my forearm. I bid the customer goodbye then quickly read what Eric had written.

‘Good morning, Hyesungie!’

I quickly took my pen from my pocket.

‘Good morning to you too, Eric ah. Have you eaten?’

A few seconds later the two sentences disappeared and were replaced by a new one.

‘Yeah I have, since you told me to. Have you?’

 ‘Yeah I have. So what color are your lenses today?’

‘Oh! I was told that they’re gray. How are they?’

‘They’re sort of dull? Although it suits the weather today so it’s okay.’

This writing on the forearm thing was cool, but he was right it was a bit of a hassle. Maybe it was time I give him my number? He did ask me for it.

‘Look I’ve been thinking, this writing on our forearm thing is cool, yes, but it’s getting a bit hard, don’t you think?’

A few seconds passed.

‘Wasn’t I the one that told you that a couple of nights ago? =))))’

‘Yeah yeah. So say please.’

‘What for?’

I smirked.

‘Just do it.’

‘Okay. Please?’

I grinned while writing down my number on my forearm.

‘I- is this…?

‘Yup!’

I then felt my phone vibrate. It was a text from an unknown number.

Hyesungie?

 A smile crept up my face. I saved the number and decided to press call. After a few rings the called got picked up.

“Hello? Hyesungie?”

“Hi Eric ah.”


“Not to be rude, but what are you two doing here?” I asked as Minwoo and Dongwan entered the bakery.

“What, you don’t want to see your two favorite people?” Minwoo asked, grabbing a pan de sal and taking a bite from it.

Before I could respond Choongjae beat me to it. “Uh-uh Minwoo hyung. Pilkyo hyung’s two favorite people are me and Sunho.” Choongjae turned to me. “Right hyung?”

I shook my head, grinning. “What I meant was what are you doing here this early? I thought you finish work at five?”

“We’re on a break Pilkyo yah,” Dongwan chuckled.

I went on and attended to the customers while my four friends chatted.

“So Junghyuk changed contact lenses again today,” Minwoo told them, now grabbing a chocolate crinkle. “They’re gray this time.”

I suddenly became interested as to where their conversation was going. Minwoo’s cousin was using the same color of lenses as Eric was. What a coincidence. Did most people use that color?

Apparently they noticed my sudden interest because they turned to me. “What?”

“Why the sudden interest?” Dongwan asked. I shrugged.

“Come on hyung, tell us,” Choongjae urged.

“Well…” I then told them how I found it interesting that their Junghyuk and my Eric were wearing the same color of lenses. I told them how he has been wearing a different pair everyday - I also mentioned the new colors I learned - and how we’ve talking through our forearms.  “I gave him my number though, so we won’t be using our forearms from now on.”

“Why would your soulmate wear a different pair everyday though?” Sunho questioned. I shrugged. “I have no idea. I like to think he’s doing it for me though.”

Minwoo and Dongwan appeared to be thinking of something. “Say Pilkyo yah,” Minwoo began. “What did you say the name of your soulmate was?”

“He told me his name was Eric,” I answered. Minwoo and Dongwan seemed surprised and Sunho’s eyes widened. “Why?”

“N-nothing,” Dongwan and Minwoo answered at the same time. It was obvious that they were lying.

I raised an eyebrow at them. “Really?”

They nodded hurriedly. “Y-yeah. Well would you look at that our break is almost over we better be on our way.” Minwoo was talking fast, seemingly wanting to leave in a hurry. “Sunho yah! Come over at the house later after work okay?”

“Sure hyung!”

I just then realized something. “Minwoo wait! You haven’t paid for the food you ate!” He was then out the door with Dongwan in tow. “Yah Lee Minwoo!”