More Than the Sum

What Divides Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The two young men kept their silence as the elevator moved down, an unspoken agreement that they should present a confident front. But JR couldn't deny that he was nervous, his palms sweaty and heart racing as he fought to not look around suspiciously. What if the doctor sent her men to come and subdue them? Yes, he could heal, as proven from the fact that his shattered cheekbone and broken ribs had become as new, but he didn't think that he could recover from bullet holes.

His eyes darted to the tall stranger's face: round cheeked, with sharply tilted eyes and a small mouth that was pursed in what appeared to be annoyance. He looked to JR and those lips tilted upward in a small smile, surely meant to be reassuring.

"We're fine," he said softly, too quiet for someone to catch unless they were standing right next to him, as JR was. The sudden thought went through JR's mind that maybe this stranger, so calm and collected, was just part of the Doctor's ploy, but before he could focus too hard on that, the elevator doors dinged open and they were released into the parking area.

The stranger looked at JR then. "You wouldn't happen to have a vehicle here, would you?" he asked, and when JR shook his head, the other boy gave a sigh. "Me either. Hold on," he added, and dug a cell phone out of his pocket. "Kwangsoo? It's me, Minhyun," and then he switched languages and moved a few feet away as he continued, leaving JR staring after him.

As he watched the other speak, JR went over the possibilities in his mind. Either the Doctor had anticipated that JR would be a tough one to convince, and had set up and elaborate scheme to get him to trust someone before leading to an ultimate betrayal, or this Minhyun was another like himself. And if JR were being honest, he had to admit that the former seemed way too far-fetched and that the latter was the obvious answer. But until Minhyun himself confirmed it, JR wasn't going to give away what he was.

The tall young man finished his call and turned to JR, his eyes darted behind him to the elevator for a moment. "Let's start walking, okay? I want to get out of here." He didn't wait for JR's agreement, though, and set out, heading across the lot toward the street. JR jogged to catch up, and fell into step beside the other.

They didn't speak again until a sleek black car pulled up beside them where they walked on the sidewalk, and though the looks of it made JR think of the Doctor's people, Minhyun didn't hesitate. He stepped off the curb and opened the back door, then turned to look at JR. "I'm guessing you need a ride, right? This is my driver," he added, taking note of the look on JR's face.

His driver? Who was this guy? But he was right, JR did need a ride, and so after a moment hesitation he stepped down to the street and got into the car after Minhyun. The car eased back onto the road, and JR glanced around at the expensive furnishings before looking at Minhyun. "So..." he began, unsure of what really to say.

A smile broke over the other's face, and he gave a soft, high laugh as he shook his head. "Ah, sorry. I am Minhyun Hwang. You're Jason?"

"Call me JR, please. Jason was my dad's name." He was proud that his voice only shook a tiny bit on saying that, though Minhyun's lips pursed as he nodded.

"Okay, JR. That was an... interesting meeting, yes?" he added, looking forward to his driver before continuing. "Am I to guess that you were taking Celsol as well?"

How much should he tell this guy? JR would feel so much more comfortable if Aron were there, but he knew his cousin was at work. He shifted uneasily in his seat a moment, but before he could answer, the driver interrupted.

"I'm sorry," he began in heavily accented English, then launched into rapid fire Korean. JR could catch a few words but he had to admit that his understanding was rusty, and he was left lost and looking to Minhyun for answers.

Minhyun replied in Korean, then turned to JR. "Where do we take you? That is what he was asking," he added, seeing JR's confusion.

"Ah-" Not to his home, he didn't want them knowing where he lived. At least, not until he got a better idea of what was going on. "You can let me out at..." he paused to consider, and Minhyun gave a knowing smile.

"How about we get a bite to eat? I'm starving," he added as if in confession. "We can part ways there, if you'd like."

Relieved, JR nodded in agreement. He picked a deli about ten blocks from his home, and they rode across the city in relative silence after Minhyun gave the directions to the driver in Korean. JR watched the other from the corner of his eye, trying to decipher why the name Hwang had rung a bell in his mind. By the time the reached the deli, he was still unsure, but he stepped out of the car and thanked Kwangsoo. The man nodded, then listened to Minhyun speak to him in their language, and when the tall young man stepped out of the car too, Kwangsoo pulled away from the curb and down the street.

"He's going to get something to eat, too," Minhyun said; noting JR's confused look, he continued, "I thought we might like to speak alone."

Oh. Okay. JR followed Minhyun, nerves

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter