Homebase

Shy Guys for the Win

Wonwoo runs a comb through his wet hair, trying to make himself look presentable for Mingyu.

Ever since he got home from school, he’s been cleaning his house nonstop, especially his bedroom. His parents think an alien must have abducted their son and replaced him with a maid. He never acts like this.

After his hair is perfectly styled, he rushes to his closet to search for something casual that still accentuates his slim figure. He flicks through an endless number of worn out and baggy pullovers until he finally sees a form fitting, striped long sleeve shirt. Perfect.

Once he's pulled it over his head, he begins searching for some bottoms to wear. Jeans wouldn't look casual enough, but sweatpants won't make his look as good...maybe shorts? Wonwoo nods at the thought and begins digging through his drawer. He sets aside a few jean shorts and sweatpant style shorts until he finally reaches the athletic pairs. He pulls on a pair of black shorts then sprays on the faintest bit of cologne. Now he's ready to face the star of his school.

As if Mingyu could sense it, the doorbell rings indicating his presence.

Wonwoo bursts out of his room and practically leaps down the stairs. As he runs into the living room, he practically knocks his mother over who was simply trying to answer the door.

“Woah. Slow down honey, you could slip and hurt yourself.” She says in concern.

Wonwoo nods, clearly out of breath.

“I'll...get the door.” He breathes out, pushing his hair back into position.

His mother smiles at him knowingly. “Please leave your bedroom door open today.”

Wonwoo whines. “Mom. We aren't gonna do anything, it's a guy coming over anyway.”

“Guys can do stuff with each other too. Door open.” She raises her eyebrows at her son, gaze strongly dominating his.

“Fine.” He frowns, turning to pull the door open.

Right as he opens the door, Mingyu rings the doorbell again.

“Sorry it took so long.” Wonwoo smiles in embarrassment. “My mom caught me on the way down and wanted to talk.”

His mother comes up right behind him and glances over his shoulder. “He's a cutie Wonnie!”

“Don't call me that.” Wonwoo whispers harshly, a light pink dusting his face.

Mrs. Jeon just pinches his cheeks and pushes him aside. She extends her hand to Mingyu. “Hello darling, I'm Wonwoo’s mother. It's lovely to meet you.”

Mingyu smiles politely, taking her small hand between his large ones. “I'm Mingyu, his lab partner. I'm surprised you're his mother, I thought you were his sister.” He flatters.

She blushes and covers with her free hand. “You're too sweet.”

Wonwoo’s mouth simply drops. It's clear who his mother’s favourite is between her son and the stranger she's just been introduced to.

“Come in and have something to eat Mingyu dear. I've just made some bulgogi.” She pulls him inside, smile practically reaching her ears. “Yeobo! Wonwoo’s brought a handsome friend over.” She shouts as she drags him into the kitchen.

Wonwoo trudges into the kitchen, head hung low. This was supposed to be his night, not hers.

“Mom, you're married. Stop fonding over my friend.” Wonwoo rolls his eyes.

His mother glares at him, pulling Mingyu closer to him. “I'm sorry about my son. He's a bit rude sometimes.”

“It's quite alright.” Mingyu smiles, patting her hand. “If it's okay with you, I think Wonwoo and I should go work on our project now.”

She reluctantly lets him go. “Okay. I'll bring you guys some snacks in a little bit.”

“Thank you.” Mingyu bows, then turns to Wonwoo. “Shall we?”

Wonwoo nods, slightly annoyed. “My room’s upstairs.” He leads the way, climbing the stairs in such a way as to make his shorts cling to his bum. Hopefully, Mingyu will get an eyeful and enjoy what he sees. Wonwoo smiles mischievously at his actions.

Wonwoo holds the door open for Mingyu and puts a door stopper in.

“We can either sit on my bed or the floor. Where do you prefer?”

“The bed is fine.” Mingyu smiles, setting his books down. “As long as you don't mind my sweat getting on the covers.”

“That's okay. I don't mind.” Wonwoo sits down far from Mingyu. He can feel his stutter bubbling up and his heart fluttering.

“So d-do you want to...to, um…to do this.” Wonwoo pushes a paper over shyly, quickly withdrawing his hand into his lap.

“This is a blank page.” Mingyu chuckles.

Wonwoo nearly facepalms at himself, but doesn't have the time before Mingyu leans over him to grab a page with writing on it. Wonwoo’s breath catches in his throat as he feels Mingyu’s presence above him. He's so close that if he leaned any closer his lips would leave a tender kiss on his chest. Wouldn't that be devine?

“Are you okay?” Mingyu asks, eyes searching Wonwoo’s face. “You look a bit pale, and I know you said you weren't feeling well today.”

“Uh, n-no. I'm fine. Just a little tired, yeah, that's it…” Wonwoo chuckles nervously and shuffles his papers. After averting his gaze, he takes a deep breath and regains his focus. “I guess you can start with whatever you grabbed. I'll pick something else from my stack.”

“Okay. I got the covalent bonds sheet.” Mingyu says, squinting his eyes in confusion as to what to do.

Wonwoo grabs it out of his hands without even glancing over at him. He trades it for another paper. “Take this one. All you have to do is fill in the abbreviations of the elements. You can use the periodic table poster on my wall to help you.”

Mingyu snorts. “Of course you have a periodic table poster. Nerd.”

Wonwoo watches for him to stand up out of the corner of his eye, casually writing down answers on his paper at the same time. The minute his feet touch the floor, Wonwoo kicks him in the shin, bringing Mingyu to his knees.

“What the hell!” He shouts, shooting daggers at his lab partner.

“I am not nerd, I am hyung. Stop testing me.” Wonwoo says, not even bothering to look at him.

“You're an , hyung.” Mingyu scowls and stands back up. “And you're confusing; one second you're shy and the next you're scolding me. Weirdo.”

Wonwoo sighs and falls onto his back. “I have a headache now.”

“Serves you right.” Mingyu snickers and begins transcribing the names of different elements.

At that moment, Mrs. Jeon bursts into the room with watermelon slices neatly placed on a tray.

“I heard loud noises and came to make sure you two weren't causing trouble.” She winks at her son. Wonwoo attempts to sink into his bed, but sadly it doesn't work. “I also brought snacks.”

___________________________________________

(A/N: I NEED OPINIONS FOR A NEW FANFIC IM WORKING ON. If you can, please comment who you ship MINGHAO with because I just can't choose)