Neighbors

Purple Lenses and Blue Roses

 

At promptly 8 AM next day, Leeteuk, Eunhyuk and Sungmin were ringing the next-door doorbell. They didn’t bother getting out of their pajamas and fluffy slippers as they carried a steaming pot of ramen.

 
A disembodied female voice came through the intercom. “Who is it?” she first inquired in English before quickly switching to Korean.
 
Leeteuk and Eunhyuk looked at each other, their mouths forming an O. A still-sleepy Kyuhyun and Donghae came up to join them on the neighbor’s front porch.
 
“Ah, noona,” Sungmin respectfully replied, also surprised that their neighbor was a woman. “We’re your next-door neighbors, come to greet you, we hope we’re not disturbing but we brought ramen to welcome you.”
 
“Oh, thanks. Wait up, just let me get downstairs.” She signed off the intercom.
 
They heard her rapid descent, and moments later opened the door.
 
Jery stared at them, surprised, her dark brown eyes going wide behind her purple-tinted spectacles. “Guys?! What are you doing here?” This was incredulous.
 
Sungmin, Leeteuk and Eunhyuk had shocked faces. Even Kyuhyun and Donghae looked flummoxed but then they started laughing. Mayhem ensued, as each of them raced to hug her, pat her, shake her hand, all the while saying a chorus of “This is a surprise!” or “Who knew you’d end up being our neighbor”, etc. The noise must have woken up Shindong and Heechul because they came in with sour faces; but when they saw Jery, even their jaws dropped, and they joined in on the fun.
 
When everyone settled down, Jery found Sungmin and Kyuhyun's arms about her waist while she had hers about their shoulders.
 
“Ah, Jery-noona, you’ve grown small since we last saw you,” Sungmin commented, circling her waist with his hands. Leeteuk shushed him, but Jery only laughed.
 
“It’s still big for your hands Sungmin, but I did get thinner. Wait! I can’t believe it you guys! My neighbors!” She gently squeezed Sungmin and Kyuhyun's shoulders as she got out of their hold. She espied the steaming pot they brought in. The rest had settled down on her sofas.
 
“What’s this, for me?” she opened the pot, and a delicious smell wafted in from the stew. “Mmm, smells delicious! But I couldn’t possibly finish all these.”
 
“Thanks, noona, I prepared that,” Sungmin said shyly and proudly.
 
“How about we eat here, then?” Leeteuk suggested.

“That would be wonderful guys, but I’d have to borrow bowls and utensils from you. I haven’t exactly gone out to shop yet.”
 
“Come on,” Shindong dragged Eunhyuk along. “Let’s get things next door.”
 
They asked her details about her coming to Korea while they waited for Shindong and Eunhyuk to come back.
 
“I read your message late, very early in the morning actually, tried to call you before Leeteuk hyung reminded me you might be asleep already.” Kyuhyun shared.

"You did?" she fished her phone out of her pajama pockets. Kyuhyun indeed called early morning. "Sorry, I just woke up when you all rang, haven't checked my phone yet. And yeah, I usually leave the phone on silent mode during sleep."

“And you cut your hair, Jery-noona,” Sungmin commented, noticing the bob her black hair sported now. It was longer back in December.
 
“Looks good on you,” Heechul inserted. “You look years younger. Everyone will make the mistake of not calling you noona.”
 
“Thanks Heechul. I regularly grow my hair long then cut it short. Since I have no idea yet how the weather here will affect me, I decided for this, it’s easy to wear.”
 
Shindong and Eunhyuk presently came back with the utensils, as well as additional food.
 
“Wow, Shindong, you packed a hamper,” Jery commented.
 
“Nah, we were just preparing to have breakfast next door, noona, Leeteuk hyung was only to bring the welcome gift before we found out you are our new neighbor.”
 
Everybody settled on the floor around her coffee table. It was both chaotic and organized, the boys apparently having a system of doing things together.
 
Eunhyuk shortly looked at her before asking, “Ah, Jery-noona, chopsticks or spoon and fork?” He had been wondering if she was comfortable using chopsticks.
 
“I can manage chopsticks, thanks Eunhyuk," she replied, so Eunhyuk handed her a set.
 
“What will you be doing today, noona?” Leeteuk asked in between mouthfuls of ramen.
 
“Today is actually going to be busy. My boss and a couple of men from the office will get the fridge from Mrs. Lee. The phone and cable company will also be here, but I don’t know what time. Then out to shop for a couple of appliances and I’m thinking of doing the groceries after that and coming back here to fix things up.”
 
“Can I come along? I’d help with the groceries – I need to buy stuff, too,” Sungmin said.
 
Jery stared at him. “You’re a celebrity – don’t you get mobbed when you go out?”
 
For some reason, the boys laughed.
 
“Our popularity here is overrated,” Leeteuk said. “True, most people here recognize our faces but Seoul residents are decent enough folk to leave us alone when we are clearly doing domestic activities. The only time they’d hound us is when we are filming something.”
 
“Oh, okay… but I’d rather not…”
 
“Come on, it’ll be fun,” Kyuhyun insisted.
 
“Yes, but it’s not that,” Jery interjected. “My boss will accompany me… I don’t know how that’s going to work out with you tagging along.”
 
“Well then, we shop somewhere while you get appliances, then we help you with groceries,” Sungmin said.
 
Jery’s phone presently rang. It was Mr. Choi calling.
 
“Yes sir,” she answered. “I’m currently having breakfast with my new neighbors… ok, phone and cable will be here 930… ok no problem… oh, by the way sir, a couple of my friends want to come along during shopping, will that be okay?... uh, well, they are actually popular in the Korean entertainment industry… ok, ok then sir, I’ll tell them.” She hung up.
 
“Well, apparently you can come along,” she said to Sungmin and Kyuhyun. “Seems like we’re a known partner of VP Entertainment, so there are no image issues to worry about.”
 
“Yes!” was all Kyuhyun said.
 
Breakfast was winding down when Mr. Choi arrived. Jery introduced everyone around while her boss’ companions made short work muscling the ref into the kitchen.
 
“Have you had breakfast, Hankyul hyung? There’s still enough stew next door,” Sungmin offered. He laughed at the look on Jery’s face. “It’s alright noona, we cook a lot. I’ll bring it over while you go prepare.”
 
The rest of the guys were each saying goodbye, carrying the remains of breakfast back to their apartment.
 
“What time do we leave?” Kyuhyun asked.
 
“About 10 AM should do it. I expect the phone and cable company to be here now,” Mr. Choi replied.
 
“Sungmin and I will take our own car, hyung. We’ll be ready by 10 AM, noona.” Then he, too, went back next door.
 
“Nice kids,” Mr. Choi commented when the boys were out.
 
“Yes, I know,” she replied. They really made her day. “I’m actually glad they’re my neighbors.”
 
“How did you know them?”
 
“Shared a flight with them just last Christmas, though I’ve followed their career for a while now.”
 
“Yeah, I recognize some of their faces from my daughters’ bedroom walls.”
 
Sungmin presently came back with the stew, already reheated. “Please eat. It’s not much, but after all your hard work, you must be hungry.”
 
“Thank you, we do appreciate this.” Mr. Choi replied. Then Sungmin bid goodbye to prepare.
 
“You should go on upstairs, too,” Mr. Choi told her. “I’ll take care of the phone and cable when they come. Everything should be alright by the time you’re done.”
 
“Okay, then. Thanks Mr. Choi!” She rushed upstairs to take a bath and change clothes.
 
When she came down 30 minutes later, Sungmin and Kyuhyun were already waiting in the living room, hair and outfit appropriate to their idol images. She, on the other hand, had on her purple stripe sweater over a gray shirt and jeans.
 
“You don’t have a thicker jacket?” Kyuhyun asked. She merely indicated her backpack. She didn’t exactly have a fleece jacket but she decided to wait and see how her double-lined jacket would perform before she bought one. It wasn’t that cold yet outside as the high morning sun managed to stave off the effects of the cold air. At least that’s how it felt for her.
 
Mr. Choi was just finishing up with the phone guy. “Here is your cable bill, and your phone number and the expected monthly billing – internet’s bundled in already with that.”
 
Jery’s eyes wanted to pop at the number of zeros she was seeing. It took a while for her to remember that a thousand won was equivalent to a dollar. She jokingly asked her boss, “How much am I getting, again?”
 
Mr. Choi merely rolled his eyes. They both knew that what she got from the company was more than enough to cover her monthly expenses. “I thought you’d take a longer time to prepare.”
 
“Actually, no. I take a pretty normal time to prepare.”
 
“Well, then, now that everyone is ready, let’s go.” Then Mr. Choi stopped outside. “Why don’t you ride with Mr. Kyuhyun and Mr. Sungmin? We need to go to the office first to leave the truck, and then I’ll be taking my car.”
 
“Oh, ok. Will that be alright?” she asked the boys. They nodded.
 
“Let’s meet at the main lobby of Mallendra’s,” Mr. Choi said.
 
“Wow, that’s pretty high-end. They have valet parking,” Kyuhyun commented.
 
“The company prefers that employees shop there. We have an arrangement there for discounts. The mall is pretty high-end but you’re assured of the quality of goods.”
 
“Ok, Mallendra’s it is.” Sungmin replied. He and Kyuhyun had a momentary disagreement as to who will drive but Sungmin won, being older.
 
Jery, as usual, already took the backseat so Kyuhyun had no choice but to take the passenger’s seat. The rest of the guys waved them off, shouting reminders to Kyuhyun and Sungmin.
 
Both guys took turns pointing out the views to her, interjecting some weird experience the boys had there. They reached the mall in no time. Jery had to marvel at the change in the boys’ attitude once they got out of the car. She had to mentally shake off the feeling that she looked like the boys’ personal assistant.
 
“Ah, noona, you should have waited for us to open the car door for you,” Sungmin complained once he saw her get out by herself.
 
“I can open the car door myself, Sungmin, but thanks for the thought.” As expected, a few of the people stopped and stared as they recognized the boys but none attempted to crowd them. Besides, she noticed that the same people were dressed in signature items, so this particular crowd might not be keen on fangirling/fanboying.
 
They didn’t have to wait long before Mr. Choi arrived and they all proceeded to buy Jery’s stuff.
 
Mr. Choi was well known in the stores they went into, and she was appropriately introduced as a junior worker in the company. She had to wonder, though, if there was some magic word in the company’s name that transformed people’s attitude toward her. She didn’t know whether to be relieved or appalled.
 
Then there were the boys’ antics – they kept badgering her to go into women clothing stores to buy her wardrobe. This actually bothered her, as she had not asked her boss what the dress code was. Mr. Choi merely shrugged before informing her she was actually the first female in the team and that there really was no dress code as far as the guys were concerned.
 
“Guys, can we do this another time? I’d like to determine first what constitutes office wear here,” she finally said.
 
“But you have to promise us we can come along,” Sungmin insisted.
 
“Hmm, I usually prefer shopping alone for clothes, as I really don’t listen to other people’s advice…”
 
“Ah, no, noona, you promise. Pinky swear?” Sungmin held up his pinky. Since he looked so cute asking her for a promise, she finally relented.
 
“Well, then, I’ll have to leave now. I promised lunch with the kids, so, I think you can take care of the groceries yourselves,” Mr. Choi said.
 
“Ah, yes, manager. The boys can help me. But thank you very much for helping me out.” Then she gave a deep bow to her superior.
 
“Part of my job Ms. Adelair. Report first to HR on Monday, 8 AM sharp, for completion of your papers – they’ll call me when you’re ready for the office floor. It’s a mere formality, as you already have a copy of the contents of your contract. They’ll also be briefing you on company rules, etc., as well as release your cards. That will usually take the whole day, so I’ll see you Tuesday at the earliest.”
 
“Yes, sir, I’ll be there. Thank you.” Then they parted ways, with the younger group heading to the supermarket.
 
“You have an idea what you need for stocks, noona?” Kyuhyun asked, already taking charge of the shopping cart.
 
“Actually, yeah. I don’t think there is much difference from what I shop for back home.”
 
“Guys, I’ll go ahead and look for what these guys need,” Sungmin held up a shopping list. “Meet you back at the meat section?”
 
“Okay,” Kyuhyun said. “You’ll need a basket for that.”
 
“Okay, okay, I got it,” Sungmin said even as he was walking away.
 
“You want to head first to personal care section?” Kyuhyun asked, pointing in the general direction at the right side of the store. Jery kept looking up at the aisle signs, but unfortunately, they were in Hangul, and she still couldn’t read all of it. She gave up.
 
“No, food stuff for now. I brought my own, had it cleared through customs as I don’t know what’s available here. Can we just check by aisle? I have a list but I’d like to see all merchandise. I might have forgotten something.”
 
They meandered along the aisles, Jery mostly plucking stuff – a condiment here, a sauce there, a bag of pasta, cheese, and some canned goods. Moreover, she mostly chose brands she was familiar.
 
When they reached the utensils section, she was surprised. “You have got to be kidding me. They don’t sell anything less than sets of 15?”
 
Kyuhyun laughed. “There’s a boxed set of plates, bowls and cups for six.” He pointed down the aisle. “But yeah, you buy a minimum of 15. Why not take 1 boxed set, then just buy a 15-pc set of the small bowls and chopsticks – Koreans usually don’t use plates, spoon and forks – that’s for fine dining only.”
 
“Does the boxed set already contain cutlery?” she asked, but she was already choosing from bowls and got a set of purple small bowls with a delicate design and a set of stainless steel chopsticks.
 
“Uh, yeah, I think the boxed set already have those.” Then unable to contain himself, he pointed out. “Purple bowls? We usually use white ceramic.”
 
“I can’t use another color?” she asked, wondering if colored bowls were used for something else.
 
“Well, not that you can’t, it’s not just usual.”
 
“Hmm, the white ceramics will cost me twice these.” She held up the bowls. “So I’ll settle for these now, and in the color I like. Besides, it’s not as if the house will let me entertain 15 guests at a time.”
 
Kyuhyun admitted she had a point, and didn’t say anything further.
 
They met up with Sungmin in the ramen section, lugging a basket full of the boys toiletry needs. “Ah, hyung, do we have the mini soaps, shampoos and creams for next week?” Kyuhyun asked. Sungmin wordlessly held up the said item, apparently deep in thought.
 
“Ahh,” he finally said. “Shindong will have to buy his own astringent. The saleslady said they don’t sell the stuff here.” He looked at Jery’s cart. “What noona? No ramen? Here, you buy this – that’s the original flavor – much tastier and more nutritious than pasta. And kimchi! You should stock up on kimchi.” He didn’t hesitate putting the items into her cart.
 
“Sungmin, I don’t exactly know how to cook ramen and kimchi,” she told him. “And besides, I need rice more than ramen.”
 
“Oh, I’ll teach you how to cook ramen and kimchi. Hmm, about rice, they don’t sell less than 10 kilos here.”
 
“That should last me around three months then.” And then she remembered. “Then I’ll need a rice cooker and container for the rice.” So they headed for the rice section. Jery recognized some of the rice types, and she settled for a bag of Jasmine, which was slightly cheaper than the Korean white rice the boys were hoisting on her.
 
“Guys, that’s too long grained and dry for me.”
 
“That’s why it’s ideal with soup or stew – it will not compete with the flavor nor turn the rice soggy,” Sungmin pointed out.
 
“I really don’t want to buy something I can’t eat.” Sungmin was being helpful but she had her preferences. He must have noticed the edge in her voice because he backed off.
 
Kyuhyun was amused. “The men in your country don’t make decisions for you, don’t they, noona?” He knew how surprised Sungmin was that Jery wasn’t turning out to be a compliant female.
 
“Hmm, I’m the eldest and I’m used to living with other females. So no, no man makes decisions for me. Where I come from, the household is rarely the man’s domain. I’m sorry, did I just offend you?” She asked Sungmin outright. He was even more surprised, and Kyuhyun had to laugh.
 
“My, direct, too.” Sungmin shook his head. “Ah, it’s a good thing you’re a foreigner. I guess I’m more used to Korean women being amenable when it’s the man who gives the final word. Ahh.”
 
“But this should give you and idea how your officemates may react. There’s a reason you’re the first female they have in the team, and a foreigner to boot.” Kyuhyun pointed out.
 
“Look, I apologize,” Jery said. “But I can’t change overnight just because I’m in foreign soil. Part of me will adjust, but I don’t think I’d likely change who I am at the core. But thank you for pointing that out, at least I’m forewarned.”
 
“Ah, forget about it,” Sungmin said. “We could learn a thing or two about treating our women better. Are we done here? Let’s get the meat and start heading out. We can get back in time to prepare lunch, the rest of the members will be there.”
 
“Oh, you preparing for something?” she asked, genuinely curious.
 
“We have a live performance for TV next weekend so we’re having rehearsals whenever we can squeeze it between all our busy schedules,” Kyuhyun informed her.
 
“And you insisted on accompanying me?” she was touched.
 
“Well, someone needed to do the shopping or we’d all starve during rehearsals. The crew have their own schedules to keep so domestic affairs are pretty much our responsibility. As Kyuhyun and I have already perfected our parts, we’re usually the likeliest to have time to go out for these,” Sungmin gestured to the items they bought. They had reached the meat section and both Sungmin and Jery picked their choices, before heading to the cashier.
 
The drive home wasn’t silent. Jery was truly curious about the boys’ activities in the entertainment industry. She was coming to admire much of the boys’ qualities, at least these two. They reached home and while Kyuhyun opened the gate, Sungmin expertly backed the car onto the narrow driveway. Kyuhyun had the trunk opened by the time Jery and Sungmin got out of the car.
 
“Hey, hey, leave the heavy stuff to me,” Sungmin told Kyuhyun, seeing as he was about to hoist the rice. “Just take this box to the boys.” He shoved the box with the others’ personal effects to Kyuhyun.
 
Jery had to admire Sungmin's strength, carrying the rice on one hand and another heavy box under another arm. She had just hoisted out of the trunk the rest of her groceries when he told her to leave it and just open the door to her apartment. As usual, the advice went unheeded.
 
She’d been about to tell Sungmin to leave her purchases and go next door when she saw he’d already taken charge of stowing away her groceries. He even gave a running lecture on how to store things. She did listen though, even as she stored the other groceries. They were finished in no time.
 
“Come on,” he told her when they were done. “Let’s go next door.”
 
“Huh? But don’t you need to do something else there?”
 
“Yeah, but you’re having lunch with us, the rest of the boys haven’t seen you yet.”
 
He was disgusted, though, to find the rest of their groceries still in the trunk. “Ah, really, sometimes I wonder why I bother.”
 
Jery could understand his harried feeling. He did look like a mother hen with a bunch of hard-headed chicks. “Let me help,” she offered, taking out the rest of the groceries and closing the trunk. Sungmin wordlessly checked if there were other things in the car before locking it.
 
Loud music blasted from the opened door. Sungmin took one look at the members hard at work doing choreography and decided it wasn’t worth berating them.
 
“Sungmin hyung is here!” Ryeowook said. They all stopped since he messed up the rhythm. “Time to prepare lunch!” He was about to bolt out of formation when Kangin stopped him.
 
“Keep practicing, you’re still off beat. I’ll help with lunch.” Kangin was older so Ryeowook had no choice but to follow. Even Kyuhyun had changed into a sweatshirt and joining the rehearhals.
 
“Hey guys, greet our new neighbor, Jery-noona – you remember her from December,” Sungmin said.
 
Of course they’d already known, and they gave her varied greetings before turning back to the rehearsals. Kangin, Sungmin and Jery made their way into the kitchen/dining area.
 
“Whoa, this is huge,” was her first comment. The kitchen area was long, with two sets of fridges, stovetops, sinks, dishwashers and compactors. The dining table is actually two tables put together to seat 14, or expands to 20 when necessary.
 
“Well, noona, this is small especially when the manager hyungs and the crew are here,” Kangin commented even as he stowed the groceries. Sungmin was already starting on the rice – on two rice cookers.
 
“Ok, what can I do?” she went up to Sungmin. He thought for a while before asking Kangin.
 
“What will you cook?”
 
“I was supposed to do ramen kimchi stew but Heechul said you already had that for breakfast. How does pork-veggie stew sound? We’ll leave ramen for dinner.”
 
“Not bad. Noona, please help Kangin cut up pork and vegetables.”
 
The three worked silently, with Jery asking occasional questions how to cut up certain vegetables. She recognized some but they might have a preferred way to cut it.
 
“What will we do for dessert?” Sungmin asked Kangin as he checked the fridge.
 
Jery exclaimed. “Ack, I brought a couple of sweets from home. I was supposed to give them to you. Will that do?”
 
Sungmin's eyes lit up. “Really?”
 
“Yeah, just let me head back next-door after I finish with these.”
 
She watched and learned as Kangin cooked the stew while Sungmin did a couple of shrimp and vegetable tempura. Then she headed out, coming back carrying a box, on top of which she stacked the three boxes of sweets.
 
“Here,” she gave the items to Sungmin. “Each box contains assorted sweets from home. I didn’t really know what else to get you guys, so I bought these.”
 
“Oh, noona, these really look yummy!” Sungmin clapped, then hugged her. “Thanks!”
 
Even Kangin looked pleased. “But what’s with the other box?” he asked her.
 
“Well, gifts, too,” Jery was hesitant, wondering if the boys would appreciate what she had there.
 
“Oh? Really?” He went to rummage the box, only to find individual paperbags with their names on it. “Come on, noona, you distribute these.” And then he was dragging her out to where the boys were practicing. Sungmin followed, smiling.
 
“Hey guys, hey guys!” Kangin shouted over the din. He saw Leeteuk near the CD player. “Hyung! Hyung! Turn that off now.”
 
“Jery-noona here has brought us gifts. Gather ‘round.” He said. Jery wasted no time distributing the paperbags. There was a reason why she needed to identify which belonged to whom.
 
They all opened the bags to find an individual gift and a bolt of cloth. They stared fascinated, as each of them was holding up a different color and design.
 
“What’s this?” Heechul asked.
 
“I’ve seen something like this when we went to Thailand,” Donghae commented.
 
“Malaysia, too,” Siwon added.
 
Jery smiled. “India has a variation, which they call the sarong. The Scots invariably call theirs a kilt.”
 
Kangin scratched his head. “You wear this, then?”
 
“Actually, it’s multi-purpose – in our culture, that is used as clothing, as well as a blanket, tent, or sleeping bag.”
 
“Huh?” Eunhyuk said, looking at the bolt of cloth.
 
“Here, let me show you,” Jery said, taking the purple colored one she gave to Heechul. She stepped into the cloth’s center.
 
“The women wear it like this.” She went into an intricate series of moves that converted the cloth to a one-sided dress, a tube dress, even a two-sleeved housedress.
 
“The men usually wear it like this.” She went on to wear the cloth as a skirt, and balloon pants.
 
“As a headdress, you can wear it as a turban, or make part of the cloth as a hood. As an accessory, it can be a sash, or a belt/cummerbund.”
 
“Wow, you know all this stuff,” Kibum commented. Even the others were surprised he spoke.
 
“You can exchange with the others, if you prefer another design or color.”
 
The boys did, at first, except for Kyuhyun and Sungmin, who had sky blue and pink, respectively. Kyuhyun's design had the batik sarimanok while Sungmin's was plain with checkered hems and gold threading. It amused her to note that after much shuffling, the boys still ended up with their original gifts.
 
“Lunch is ready!” Kangin called in from the dining room. They all piled in to see him already wearing the sarong skirt-style. While skirts were for women, the sarong skirt made a male look more masculine.
 
“Wow, Kangin, you wear that good,” Heechul complimented. Kangin merely raised his shoulders in silent bravado.

 


__________________
© higashinoumi (http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/1108258), 2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to higashinoumi (http://www.asianfanfics.com/profile/view/1108258) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.