on a rainy weeknight

supermarket soulmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Amber trudges out of the dorm with a huff. It’s finals week, she is nowhere near prepared enough for her exam tomorrow, and her time of the month just had to come now, also when she has no supplies left.

It’s nine o’clock on a Wednesday and the only people in the local supermarket are likewise stressed college students in need of something that really couldn’t wait to the next day, or until after finals week.

Amber finds what she needs, grabs a couple of extra blocks of chocolate, and is hell bent on getting out of the place. But when she steps out of the aisle, she almost crashes into a guy with headphones on his head, dancing across the start of the aisle. He’s wearing sweatpants and he’s whisper-singing along to the track playing through his red headphones.

Amber scowls when she stumbles back, and the guy actually turns and sees her. He yells out a “Sorry!” before grinning and continuing on, dancing ridiculously.

Amber watches him glide along the slippery floor, narrowly missing toppling over a sleepy looking guy. Amber rolls her eyes and heads to the cashiers, paying for her items and stepping outside to realise that it’s pouring. Like, can-barely-see-ten-metres-in-front-of-you-it’s-raining-so-hard kind of pouring.

Amber curses several times. She walks back into the supermarket, goes to the bathroom and changes and then steps back out under the awning and debates whether or not to make a mad dash for home.

She would probably fall over and land in a puddle, and that is exactly what she doesn’t need. Also it’s a solid ten minute walk. Amber sighs. She’ll just have to wait for it to let up a little.

She’s just pulling her phone out of her pocket and seeing if she has enough battery to last a few rounds of Candy Crush when she gets bumped lightly and nearly drops her phone into the puddle right outside the supermarket.

“What the fu-?”

“Sorry!”

That voice.

Amber narrows her eyes as she stares at the guy who had almost collided with her in the supermarket. He’s still got his large red headphones on his head, and Amber can vaguely hear music coming out of it. It sounds familiar.

“Oh, hey! I know you!” he almost yells. Amber winces.

“Oh, sorry,” he says as he pulls his headphones down, letting them rest around his neck. He seems to see the rain behind her as he whistles lowly. “That’s some rain, huh?”

Amber lazily gives a customary glance to the rain behind her. She nods and then sticks her hands into the pockets of her hoodie.

“Hey, do you live on campus? I could give you a lift?” he offers and Amber thinks no way in hell is she accepting a lift from a guy who wanders through the supermarket with headphones on, almost colliding into unsuspecting stressed college students. Also, there’s the blaring fact that she doesn’t know him. That affects it, just a little.

But then she remembers that Advanced Biology final she has tomorrow and how she really still doesn’t understand half the content. Also the rain looks like it’s going to go on all night. Amber debates whether dying of stress or no sleep is more likely than dying from a weird guy giving her a lift.

The guy seems to see her hesitation. “I’m Henry,” he says quickly, “I’m a Music major, on campus, I have two siblings and I’m originally from Canada,”

Amber snorts internally. As if telling his profile would make her comfortable enough to let him give her a ride. And yet, somehow, it does.

“Dorm B, on the east side?” Amber asks, scrunching her face up a little in uncertainty.

Henry just beams and Amber wonders why she finds it kind of cute. Maybe because his eyes kind of disappear and she’s noticing his cheeks are kind of full, like he used to have chubby cheeks when he was younger.

Henry laughs. “Too easy, I’m in Dorm A,” he says. He points out a red car a couple of rows away, but Amber can’t make out the make or model through the rain. “That’s my car. Think you can make a mad dash for it?”

“Better than a mad dash back to dorm,” Amber admits.

“Alright, I’ll go first. Follow after a few seconds?” Henry says and Amber has barely nodded before he’s dashing out, hood up in hopes of sheltering just the slightest bit from the pouring rain.

Amber thinks he’s kin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter