One

Mini Mini Cupid Duo

The taut bowstring strained against Yoongi’s unyielding hold, causing a familiar dull ache in his bicep. His hand was steady as he swiftly aligned the sharp tip on the arrow to a point just below the bright red bullseye and let it fly. The arrow sprung forwards, sending a thrum of vibration up the hand that held the bow, through the blond archer’s wrist and up to his forearm. Satisfaction lent a sly glint to his eyes as the arrow hit dead center in the glowing red center. There were nine other arrows beside the last one, all ten tightly clustered within the bounds of the smallest circle.

A congratulatory round of applause echoed throughout the hollow training area, soon accompanied by light footsteps. “Fifty-seven seconds! You beat my score yet again.” Jimin whined teasingly, pretending to be mad with an exaggerated pout.

“Only by six seconds.” Yoongi pointed out, rolling his eyes affectionately at the younger boy. “We’re both clear to participate in the operation they’re planning, at any rate.” Jimin happily skipped down the rest of the stairs to the older boy, his soft brown locks bouncing with each hop.

“That’s good, because I wouldn’t want to worry about making the cut on our anniversary.” He giggled, reaching for Yoongi. Panic seized him for a moment as he thought Jimin was going to hold his hand, but Jimin just grabbed Yoongi’s wrist and proceeded to unfasten the strap that connected the bow to his wrist.

“Anniversary?” Yoongi managed to ask in his usual, nonchalant tone.

“Yep. The one year anniversary of the day we first met each other.” Jimin replied with his usual, boundless enthusiasm. “You know, the raid on the Bulletproof Citadel.”

Yoongi remembered that operation as if it was yesterday, but he hadn’t kept track of the exact date. He ought to have, Yoongi realized too late.

“Don’t tell me you forgot it?” Jimin gasped in mock horror, taking the bow from Yoongi and tugging the older along to the storage racks.

“I can’t believe you kept track of the exact date.” He said, evading the fact that he had forgotten and the guilt was making him want to crumble into ashes to evade the embarrassment. Even though no one (excluding the leaders) keep track of past raid dates, Yoongi should have remembered the day he met Jimin, for God’s sake.

Jimin carelessly slung his arm around Yoongi’s shoulder, seemingly oblivious to the way heat rushed to Yoongi’s cheeks.

“How could anyone forget the day the Mini Mini Cupid Duo was formed?” He asked dramatically. Yoongi rolled his eyes at the reference to the stupid nickname pinned on the two rising archers when they had given in to friendship after rivalry had made them enemies.

“Anyways, I thought we should do something to celebrate.” Jimin continued as they emerged outside. Yoongi frowned, both from the blinding sunlight and Jimin’s words.

“How?” He asked. “Especially with all the preparations for the operation… there’s not much we can do. And in any case, there’s never much anyone can do for fun without breaking-”

“I don’t mind overlooking a few minor rules, as long as we don’t get caught.” Jimin interrupted, a mischievous glint in his eyes. “And it doesn’t have to be anything fancy. I just want to have fun.” He added with persisting optimism. Yoongi’s expression softened into a tiny smile at Jimin’s inexplicable cuteness.

“I’ll find us alcohol somewhere, and meet you at the old ferry dock in two hours.” Yoongi suggested. “We can watch the festival lights in the Jeon Kingdom up close.” Jimin grinned. “Great!” He agreed. “Just be careful. I really don’t want to be visiting you in the prohibition house.” Yoongi rolled his eyes for the umpteenth time that hour. “When do I ever get caught?”