III: Clothing Swap

voices like thunder.

A/N: It's been awhile~ Yes, I know Poe Musical already in the past and the actors have moved on to different shows but HEY I’m still seeing the k-fandom make fanart and posting old pics on twitter so why not lol. I’ve had this as a WIP for awhile anyway. /life is busy rn cries

And for those who are here for him, Dongwan isn’t present in this as a heads up!

 

-----------

 

“H-hey, don’t laugh!! This was your idea in the first place.”

Jaerim wiped a tear, “I’m sorry Gom. It’s just not what I-” he burst into laughter again.

“You don’t look any better. Look! Your ankles are showing.”

Unfortunately, Hyungryul wasn’t right on that. He really did look ridiculous with leather pants pooling at his feet than Jaerim did in a pair of slacks just a bit too short. The red coat he was wearing dragged to the floor and the supposedly form-fitting sleeves extended much past his fingertips. In other words, he was a wearing a Poe outfit way too big for him.

He shouldn’t have listened but he would be lying if he wasn’t curious when Jaerim suggested they swap outfits for fun before the call to put them away. If you'd call it a suggestion rather than “nagging until Hyungryul gave in." If it wasn’t the last show the two had together, he wouldn’t have been persuaded.

The younger actor smirked, “at least my vest looks okay.”

“It’s your limbs that are too long!”

“Ahh, but our GomPoe would be adorable.”

If it wasn’t an outfit that cost a full pay check from a few shows, Hyungryul would’ve thrown it right into the younger actor’s face. The most he could do was frown at an attempt to hide his embarrassment from Jaerim who was admiring the feel of an unfamiliar outfit.

“Hey, don’t make that kind of face,” Jaerim attempted to throw his coattails behind him, imitating what the Griswold actors did during their solo performances. “I’m serious, you could almost suit Poe with your hair down like that.”

“Then Sangyoon-hyung could play Poe as well.”

Jaerim shuddered at the thought, “I take it back.”

“You know Sangyoon-hyung mentioned you’d make a good Griswold.”

“Yet, he hits me so many times.”

“You’re playful to him too. Have you read the reviews? Sometimes people even feel bad for his Griswold.”

“People should feel bad for me!” the taller man complained.

Hyungryul couldn’t help but laugh. For someone who was supposed to act out a tormented life, Jaerim always brought more energy wherever he went.

He was truly an odd one, but Hyungryul would never deny how much he enjoyed acting along side Jaerim. The whole musical had been quite the learning experience but luckily with several familiar faces; he wouldn’t be the only one who’d admit practice usually left him with more energy than he came with. 

Not that he wasn’t working hard but being surrounded by actors he trusted and knew put in their 120% into every performance, it’d be strange if you left drained.

“Seriously though…” interrupting Hyungryul’s thoughts and looking between the two outfits, “now that I’m in it, your outfit really does have a different feel.”

“It does give off the villainous feeling. It’s like suddenly you have the urge to sing with different emotions and do things you normally wouldn’t.”

“And that’s how our cute Gom can play someone so scary?”

“Stop.”

“I’m joking~” he held out his hands to stop a playful, annoyed strike from the older actor. Though the threat was hardly concerning with Hyungryul waving oversized sleeves in his direction.

"I wouldn't be doing my job correctly if I wasn't intimidating you and everyone else."

The reality of acting with people you become to close to, and something most of the Poe Musical cast knew well if not just Jaerim, “I know, it's just that the real you always comes out in the curtain call. I swear you play along with my fanservice the most.”

“Soohyeong and Sangyoon-hyung play like that as well,” Hyungryul smiled to himself, “and I’m not as scary as either of them.”

“That’s not a problem, your Griswold shines on it’s own. It’s more scary that someone who shows such kindness ends up killing me in the end.” You’re kinda like that in real life too.

Hyungryul looked back down at his over-sized sleeves, “I guess. If only I could make your heart jump like th- Jaerim?”

Spontaneous, playful and caught him completely off guard. As expected from someone like Choi Jaerim. 

A swift movement to catch Hyungryul’s lips but enough time for him to react accordingly and turn his surprise into a reciprocated action. Maybe Jaerim wasn’t expecting it from the slight gasp and what Hyungryul could’ve sworn was a forming smile but he immediately returned the action.

In the warmth of familiar outfits and post-performance energy, they could only wish they knew sooner.

The taller actor broke away first in accomplishment, a soft laugh after being unexpectedly intimate from what he planned as a small gesture.

“Our Gomgeuri starts Peste in a few days right?” Jaerim’s signature smirk, still a few inches from the other actor’s face. Though this was the first time Hyungryul saw it this way; almost shy. “We don’t have anymore stages together and schedules are hectic, so that’s kind of my… Farewell-good luck present to you.”

Before Hyungryul could properly react out of his own flustered state, the younger actor tugged at his collar, “Now, you better take this off.”

“Eh?! J-Jaerim…”

“OH. No, not like that!! The staff’s gonna kill us if we get caught wearing these outfits.”

~ ~ ~

“So, this is why you wanted to swap outfits?”

“Hey, I was genuinely curious! You know Soohyeong and Sangyoon-hyung would have my head if I even joked about the idea. It was just… In the moment.” he smiled.

As with most of your antics. 
I’ll miss you a lot.

 

A/N: The idea was better in my mind I’m sorry ;; I could’ve finished this much sooner but I just started school again and rewrote this a few times before I was a bit satisfied (I might just delete and reupload an edit again later ahh). I realized their relationship is a bit weird to write as casual fluff since they’ve worked together quite a few times, but just take it as it is. c’:

But yeah, I’ve had this and two other stories at 90% done for the past 2 weeks :( Finally got around to finishing one off at least and hopefully I can get to the others really soon!