Thank You (SayaMilky)

48/46 Group OS Collection

Thank You

There was something about her. It wasn’t her appearance—that Sayaka was certain of. Sure, the girl was cute, but there were plenty of other cute girls and Sayaka had never found herself so attracted to one. After studying the girl for another moment, the raven decided that the aura the girl exuded was the magnetic force reeling her in. There was a calling air around her that Sayaka found enchanting. Squinting, she further examined the girl’s face. Round, brown eyes fitted perfectly with a petite nose and a impish grin, all framed with luscious, wavy chocolatey brown hair. The hair color didn't look natural—it was probably dyed—but it looked good on her even so.

 

A cough snapped Sayaka out of her reverie. A customer had just stepped inside the cafe, stamping his legs on the doormat to warm himself up. He made his way to the counter and raised his head to study the menu. Up close, Sayaka noticed that the man was pallid and decided that he was sick and probably needed something warm. 

 

“Sir, if you want something to warm you up, may I suggest our winter special?” She piped. “It’s a rich peppermint hot chocolate flavored with cinnamon.”

 

Surprised, the man nodded and hacked out a “thanks.” Sayaka whirled around and promptly set to work on the drink. Slipping a holder on the cup, she handed it to the man who received it with relish.

 

After the customer paid and went on his way, Sayaka resumed her seat behind the counter. The weather was cold; not many people would stop by the cafe today. With the exception of a certain brunette. Sayaka snuck another glance at the girl, sitting peacefully by the window. She was sipping on her coffee absentmindedly, scrolling through her phone.

 

“Yamamoto!” Another distraction jolted the raven into awareness. It was her boss, scolding her for something she forgot to do. Pushing herself off her stool, she trudged to the back and found a cranky old man pointedly glaring at her. 

 

“What is it?” She sighed. 

 

Her boss, indignant at the way Sayaka seemingly brushed him off, shouted, “I said I wanted the coffee beans put away!” He gestured excitedly at brown sacks lying in a pile at the corner of the room.

 

“Sorry boss,” Sayaka muttered. “It slipped my mind. I’ll do it after my shift ends.” A bell rung, signaling the arrival of another patron. She her heel and made her way to the counter. 

 

To her surprise, she found a familiar looking face gazing at her. It was the girl from before. She smiled prettily, and pointed at a poster advertising the winter special. 

 

“Can I have one these, please?”

 

“Coming right up, miss.” Sayaka began preparing the drink. Catching sight of the girl’s uniform, she decided to strike up a short conversation. “So you’re from Namba High?”

 

Startled, the girl nodded. “Yeah, I just transferred in, so I’m pretty new here.”

 

“I go to Namba High as well. I guess we’re both second years?”

 

The girl glanced down at the red ribbon on her uniform. “Yup. Class 2-2. You?”

 

“2-3. It’s a surprise I haven’t seen you around then. Here’s your drink.” Sayaka slid a steaming cup of hot chocolate over to the girl. “Hey, if you don’t mind, can I ask your name?”

 

“Watanabe Miyuki,” She giggled. “But everyone calls me Milky.”

 

“Nice to meet you Milky. I’m Yamamoto Sayaka, but you can call me Sayanee.”

 

Milky paid for her drink and exited the cafe, with Sayaka staring after her. The short exchange had energized her, strangely. What a of luck, Sayaka mused to herself. Perhaps she would see Milky at school tomorrow.

 

 

As expected, Sayaka eventually ran into the brunette at school. Several times, as a matter of fact. The two grew close as a result of these encounters, to the point where Milky would visit Sayaka every day at the cafe where Sayaka worked. She always ordered the special of the day, no matter what it was. Milky wasn’t a very picky girl. 

 

Time progressed quickly, and soon it was summer. She went to beach with Milky and let the girl drag her around a local festival, buying masks and food and winning toys for the brunette. She didn’t really mind. Milky looked stunning in her summer yukata. It was pink with yellow lining and flowers and birds etched onto the silky fabric. When the two sat side by side watching fireworks illuminating the sky, Milky resting her head on Sayaka’s shoulder, the raven could hardly suppress the urge to kiss her.

 

It was killing Sayaka. She had long since accepted her feelings for her friend. She just didn't know if the object of her affection returned her love. As much as she wanted to confess, Sayaka couldn’t bring herself to change her status as a “friend.” She was content just watching over Milky, who was an unwitting flirt. The girl flirted with everyone—girls, boys, teachers—and always seemed to be unaware of the consequences of her actions. By now, Sayaka was pretty certain that at least half the school was in love with Milky.

 

She turned her attention back to the present. Milky had fallen asleep on Sayaka’s shoulder during the train ride back home, and Sayaka hadn’t the heart to wake the girl up. There was a peaceful smile that she didn't want to disturb. Gently, Sayaka carefully lifted Milky up into a bridal-style carry and set out for Milky’s house. She caught a couple of strange looks on the way, but it didn’t matter. 

 

Arriving at the doorstep, Sayaka rung the doorbell and stepped back to wait. The door opened shortly, revealing Milky’s mother. 

 

“Sayaka-chan, thanks for bringing Milky back,” the lady apologized. “I hope she wasn’t too heavy.”

 

“No problem,” Sayaka shrugged. She would do it anytime. “I’ll get on my way now.”

 

“How about staying the night? I’ll phone your mother; it’s not safe for a girl to be alone this late at night.”

 

“Are you sure?” The raven inquired. “I don’t want to be a bother.”

 

Milky’s mother smiled. “Of course, you’re always welcome here.”

 

Sayaka ended staying over, her feelings for the brunette only amplified after the night of the festival.

 

 

Summer drew to a close and school resumed. Sayaka went back to her normal routine of school and work. Everything was like it had been, except that Milky had been acting more distant lately. Worried about her, Sayaka had consulted her friend Maachun about the situation. Rather than comforting her and offering advice, Maachun had merely shrugged the issue off and awkwardly run off, claiming that she had something to do. Sayaka had found the entire ordeal quite suspicious. 

 

Winter arrived, and Sayaka and Milky slowly drifted apart, and Sayaka found herself wrenched in pain from it. It was only when Sayaka had run back to the classroom to retrieve her bag late after school ended that she learn the truth.

 

She was about to slide open the door when she caught a sniffling voice from inside. Someone was crying. She slid the door open just a crack and peered through it. To her surprise, she saw Maachun comforting a girl…Milky?

 

“…Maachun, what should I do? I think I’m in love with her.” Sayaka’s eyes widened at Milky’s sudden confession. Milky in love? With whom? Feeling her heart sinking deep into her chest, Sayaka closed her eyes to prevent tears from splashing down onto her skirt.

 

That would certainly explain the distance. Milky had left her for whomever it was that stole her heart. As Sayaka trudged into the cafe ten minutes late, her boss frowned at her delayed arrival, but deigned to say anything. He had seen the puffy eyes and damp sleeves of his employee.

“Yamamoto,” he said gruffly. “Take the day off.” Sayaka looked up, surprised that the manager wasn’t being his usual crass self.

 

“Boss? Are you sure?”

 

He waved her aside. “Go, you look terrible. I can handle the cafe for today.” The raven nodded gratefully and left. 

 

 

While Sayaka was at the cafe, Milky was crying her eyes out to Maachun.

 

“Maybe I should just give up on her,” Milky mumbled dejectedly. “She doesn’t even get jealous when I flirt with others.”

 

Maachun d the girl’s hair. “Don’t worry. Just because Sayaka is too dense to notice your advances doesn’t mean she doesn’t care about you.”

 

“Then what should I do? I can’t get her attention no matter what I do!” Milky cried out.

 

“I think you should confess,” Maachun said calmly. “If she doesn’t notice you, then you have to be straightforward.”

 

“I-I’m afraid of being rejected. If she doesn’t feel the same way, then it’ll be so awkward.”

 

“You’ll be fine. Sayaka isn’t the type of person to do that. Besides,” she continued. “Who’s to say it won’t turn out well?”

 

Milky peered up at the smiling girl. “You really think?” Maachun winked in response. 

 

“Go for it, Milky.”

 

Sayaka had fallen ill. The day after the fateful event in the classroom, she caught a cold and stayed in bed to nurse her burning fever. Milky, who had been waiting anxiously to confess, rushed over to the girl’s house. She knew that the raven lived alone, so she stopped by the market to buy some things.

 

Milky set herself up in the kitchen as quietly as she could. She didn’t want to disturb Sayaka’s sleep, so she did her best to make a porridge silently. Carefully treading across the room, Milky approached the sleeping figure. However, the soft clink made when the food tray was set down on the nightstand caused the raven to stir and waken.

 

Shocked to see Milky kneeling by her side, Sayaka struggled to form words but was quickly shushed by her companion.

 

“Shh, don’t speak. You’ve got to take care of yourself,” Milky chided. “I’ll feed you porridge.” Blowing gently on the spoonful of watery rice, she held it to the cracked lips of her crush. Milky blushed to herself, glad that the darkness of the room hid her face, and continued feeding. On the other hand, Sayaka had finished the porridge and was now drinking water to quench her thirst.

 

“Milky,” she whispered. It was now or never. While Milky was feeding her, she had resolved to do this. God knows if she would ever get another chance. The brunette was staring at her curiously, waiting for her to finish her sentence. Sayaka locked her eyes with the pair gazing at her.

 

“I love you.”

 

 

It was quiet. Sayaka had whispered the words, but Milky heard them quite clearly. opened, unable to respond. She shifted her gaze to the window, away from Sayaka’s expectant one. They stayed like that for a while, before Milky clamped shut and opened it again, mumbling something incomprehensible.

 

“Sorry?” Sayaka ventured. She couldn't quite make out the words.

 

Milky pouted and took a deep breath.

 

“IsaidIloveyoutoo!”

 

Sayaka stared at her. Milky couldn’t stand the penetrating gaze of the raven and dashed out the room, shutting the door and collapsing against it, trying to catch her breath. The door opened suddenly, causing Milky to fall back on the floor, looking straight up at a grinning Yamamoto Sayaka.

 

“Thanks for coming today, Milky.”