One

Birth of Venus

 

The imposing palace of the Prince of Elysium is quiet at night. Behind the marble columns and gilded window frames, hidden in a small courtyard filled with fragrant jasmine trees, there's a bench that sometimes gets occupied when the night air is balmy and pleasant. Like tonight. Two figures sit side by side, with their arms touching, chatting quietly under a clear starry night sky. 

Until one of them breaks the peaceful ambiance and raises his voice.

“By the stars, Chanyeol!” Kyungsoo exclaims, eyebrows furrowed as he loses his cool. It is not like Kyungsoo to lose his temper, but somehow it always seems to happen around Chanyeol. 

Chanyeol tries to look away before bursting into laughter. “Wow, Kyungsoo, watch your manners please.” His gleaming eyes cannot hide the great pleasure he's getting out of teasing his good friend. 

Yes. Kyungsoo should know better. In the Elysian high society among all the Elites, manners are everything. Slightly raised chin, pushed back shoulders, a controlled voice, and always a deeper bow than others - these formalities are second nature to him now. He can almost hear his dad’s serious tone in his ear, “even a Commoner can carry himself with dignity, never forget.” 

But Chanyeol has always known how to test his limits. Like right now, as he casually asks Kyungsoo to commission a sculpture for the Princess of Venus who is new to town. 

“Seriously, Chanyeol? Her again? Haven't you and Siwon showed enough obsession with her? She is married after all, can't you just leave her alone.” Kyungsoo fails at hiding the disdain in his voice. 

Chanyeol shrugs, not feeling the need to explain himself, but instead rests his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder lightly. He's dressed splendidly as usual, a long robe made of thick but shimmery white fabric with delicately hand-sewn embossed patterns. His grey hair shifts in the chilly night breeze, as he gazes into the starry sky, dark impassive eyes hiding his thoughts. 

Kyungsoo doesn't like the look of Chanyeol when he's quiet and impossible to read, retrieving back into his whole thoughts and hiding from the world. He can't quite put his finger on exactly when Chanyeol started to act this way, even in private with just the two of them. It's been a few years. He possibly dislikes it even more than the suddenly flamboyant and extravagant Chanyeol that's been the talk of the town for the past year.

“Remind me something about our childhood?” Kyungsoo follows the voice and sees Chanyeol’s fluffy head of grey hair on his shoulder, eyes half closed. He feels his own expressions soften, and tilts his head a little to touch Chanyeol’s. 

Kyungsoo tries to bring up something lighthearted. “Remember when we all wanted to ride the dragon of Lithios?” He smiles when he hears Chanyeol’s chuckle. 

“Yes, the fearsome monster of Lithios.” Chanyeol says. “For my seventh birthday.” 

An image of three boisterous little boys flashes through Kyungsoo’s mind. Yes, of course, the Terrible Three, always huddled together causing mischief. Siwon Park is the oldest, but always the one plotting up all the disastrous pranks of epic proportion. Chanyeol is only older than Kyungsoo by one year, but ever since Kyungsoo’s dad brought him to the palace and their eyes met, Chanyeol has always found the younger brother he's never had in Kyungsoo, someone for him to care and protect. It was a bit scandalous that the two Elite Park princes became so inseparable with the Commoner son of the royal artist, that they made him move to the palace. But everyone got used to it eventually and started treating Kyungsoo almost like a part of the royal family. Almost. 

“Remember how you made the ambassador bring the dragon into the building, right in the middle of the party?” Kyungsoo reminisces about how Chanyeol openly announced that it would be extremely impolite of the Republic to not officially welcome this magnificent “token of friendship” into the palace, much to the displeasure of his father, the old Chancellor.

“Hehe, well luckily it turned out to be so petite!” Petite indeed. The boys were sorely disappointed when they were presented with a snotty chubby green creature the size of a large pig, barely lifting the ground when it frantically flapped its wings. But all their eyes lit up again when the ambassador asked if anyone wanted to take the present for a ride. Chanyeol was practically beaming with joy when he was picked and rushed to the pig - um, dragon, not daring to look at his father. 

“Yeah it ended as uneventful as possible, except for Siwon.” Kyungsoo grins, remembering the panic on Siwon’s face as Chanyeol and the dragon sped towards him right before the imminent collision. 

They are silent for a moment, each lost in their own memories. Chanyeol finally shifts beside Kyungsoo and sighs. Kyungsoo feels his heart stir a little, this time he knows what's on Chanyeol’s mind. Those carefree days are long gone.

Even after that birthday party, Chanyeol was called to his father’s office, alone. Kyungsoo waited for him outside, standing in the long hallway that echoed the occasional footsteps of the servants. When Chanyeol came out, his usually joyful face was somber and pale. He wiped the tear streaks off quickly, and remained quiet for days afterwards.

Kyungsoo could guess what the old chancellor said. He heard the same message many times over the years, sometimes whispered, other times expressed through a cold glance, or a stern purse of the lips. Chanyeol was always a disappointment in his father’s eyes. Siwon was careful at presenting his best side in front of others, and grew to be the poised and dignified first heir to the Park family businesses, and the best candidate for becoming the next chancellor. But Chanyeol, he was never good at hiding his true feelings, and always laughed a little too loudly, and cosied up to the Commoners a little too much for his father’s liking. Despite his years of effort to please his father, the situation deteriorated steadily until Kyungsoo noticed Chanyeol clammed up at public occasions, hiding in Siwon’s shadow and sometimes altogether forgotten by others.

Kyungsoo is grateful that he got to know the real Chanyeol growing up, in private, away from the scrutinizing eyes of the old chancellor. His Chanyeol, who would never hesitate to help a maid in need, who wrote songs during free time so they could sing together, who liked to sneak into Kyungsoo’s tiny little room at night, so they could fall asleep together side by side, like two little lonely creatures seeking warmth from each other. 

That side of Chanyeol was so precious Kyungsoo almost wanted to keep it all to himself. 

But then a year ago, after the sudden death of the old chancellor, everything changed. An unexpected death of an Elite with a typical lifespan of 150 years is always a shock, especially when it's the supreme leader of the Galatia Republic. Within a week, an emergency election was hosted, and Siwon was voted unanimously as the next chancellor. Shortly after his inauguration ceremony, Kyungsoo and the rest of Elysium noticed a change in Chanyeol’s public image. Suddenly he became the center of attention at every major party, as this jovial and flamboyant royalty without a care in the world. There were grand donations at festivals, bidding wars at auctions, even appearances at sporting events. The public was first outraged, but slowly Chanyeol’s natural charm disarmed the opposition, and people settled into believing that since Siwon gained all the power, Chanyeol was just enjoying being a golden prince without any real responsibility. 

Kyungsoo ruffles through Chanyeol’s hair absentmindedly as his thoughts meander in the past. “Crazy how fast time passes, look at all of us now.” 

Chanyeol shifts beside Kyungsoo, nuzzling his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder to get more comfortable. His voice is barely a mumble, as his eyes remain closed. “What will we all become in another few years, Kyungsoo?” 

Kyungsoo lifts his head up to give him an indignified glare. “Let's see, you will still be the extravagant royal playboy, and I'll still be doing commissioned art for your random crush of the week.” 

He feels Chanyeol’s warm big hand tugging at his arm, and hears him pretend to plead. “Soo, are you mad at me for the sculpture? You know we all love your artwork so much. Please say yes? You will like her, Soo, she's not like the others.” 

“Yes, my patron.” Kyungsoo teases and gets prodded on the side in return, he smiles and grips onto the warm hand by his arm. “They are all the same though, everyone in Elysium is after the same things.”

Power, wealth, and eternal youth to enjoy it all. Even in this artificial paradise where genetically modification has supposedly eradicated all character flaws of the Elites - a superior neo-human race that controls the galaxy, the greed and hunger for dominance is still alive deep within the core of the society. Sometimes Kyungsoo is glad he's just a plain Commoner artist, who is deemed invisible even when present, and can observe the Elites’ not so subtle power struggles from a safe distance. 

Not all the common humans are as content as him to serve the Elites. Kyungsoo has witnessed many debates at the forum where opponents were forcefully removed from the venue, and has seen the weary face of general Minho at the palace after coming back from suppressing yet another rebellion on a colony planet. 

He can only imagine how Siwon feels every day, having only been in power for a year. Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.

Kyungsoo looks up into the dark sky above them. The twinkling stars bear silent witness to all the ups and downs of the republic capital on earth. Among them, he can see the “graveyard stars”, small and clustered together, outshining the pale moon. 

All the prominent families of Elysium have elaborate mausoleums on these orbiting moons light years away from earth. Kyungsoo remembers apprenticing with his dad when he was still alive, on commissioned statues and decorations for the Park family mausoleum, which were projects of great interest to the old chancellor. 

“The graveyard stars are so bright tonight.” Kyungsoo mumbles. “What's with the Elites’ fascination with them anyways? You practically live forever.”

Chanyeol looks up too. “Because the longer you live, the more you are afraid that one day you will be forgotten, that you no longer matter.” He turns to face at Kyungsoo, his eyes bright and filled with gentleness. “Will you still remember me, Soo, after I die?” 

Kyungsoo snorts. “Don't be silly, shouldn't it be the other way around? I’m the Commoner, remember?”

Chanyeol is silent for a moment, when he speaks again, a wry smile tugs at the corner of his mouth. “I have to try to leave a mark behind, don't I, Soo. Even if nothing works out in the end. Can't always live in the shadow of others…” 

“You've been so cryptic lately, sometimes I feel like I don't understand you anymore.” Kyungsoo tries to sound nonchalant but fails. He's not surprised when Chanyeol embraces him warmly in return. “And all the partying and public appearances, it's all so unlike you.”

“I wouldn't worry about it. You always understand me, even when you think you don't.” Chanyeol responds. 

Kyungsoo is quiet. He looks up and admires the icy glow of the graveyard stars against a backdrop of dark night sky. All around them, white jasmine flowers blossom in the chilly air, reveling in their own short-lived splendor. Come tomorrow morning, the servants will be sweeping up all the fallen petals and wilted buds scattered all over the courtyard floor, but tonight, the tiny buds bloom in loneliness. 

 

*******


“So you are the famous court artist for the Park family, Kyungsoo, was it?” The stranger in front of him has a brisk and energetic air about him, different than the elegant movements Kyungsoo is used to seeing at Elysium. He nods and shakes the stranger’s extended hand hesitantly. The fingers feel cold and callous. 

“I'm Taemin. Victoria has been expecting you.” Taemin’s smile is toothy and keen. “So I heard you grew up with the Park brothers, you must have some stories to tell!” 

Kyungsoo nods and doesn't elaborate.

“And you live at the chancellor’s royal palace? What a place, so much history!” 

“Yes.” The response is polite but short.

Taemin gives him a once over, as a smile slowly spreads across his face. “The mature silent type, I think I like you already, Kyungsoo.” He makes a gesture and a servant rushes towards them immediately. “Well, it's great to meet you but unfortunately I got some prior engagements to attend to. No rest for the wicked I'm afraid. I hope your sitting with Victoria goes well!” 

Before Kyungsoo can respond, Taemin is already walking away, with one hand waving over his head superfluously as goodbye. 

Kyungsoo follows the servant who takes him to the sun drenched sitting room. There's a lone silhouette by the tall floor-to-ceiling open windows, and the air smells of gardenia from the garden. When she turns around, Kyungsoo catches a glimpse of sorrow on her pale face, before it’s quickly replaced by a friendly grin. 

“Princess Victoria.” Kyungsoo lowers his gaze and bows, until he hears her voice, calm like the waveless surface of a shimmering lake.

“Thank you for coming, Mr. Do.” 

Kyungsoo looks up and meets her gaze. Victoria’s raven hair is pulled up into an elegant up-do, with strands of long black hair loosely cascading down and framing her face. Her features are delicate but graceful, dark brown eyes that shine with kindness. Everything about her is shrouded in a dream, and Kyungsoo feels strangely overwhelmed and stumbles. 

Then he sees her hand and realizes why: pale skin with a glistening bluish sheen. The markings of a siren. 

Kyungsoo has never seen a siren in person, but he has certainly heard of their ability to charm. There are many legends about this, each with different details and shrouded in mystery. But he definitely feels it now, somewhere in between overwhelmed and dizzy, and completely in awe. 

Kyungsoo reminds himself he's here to work. He averts his gaze and tries to shake off the effect of the charm that's creeping under his skin.

“It's ok, I promise it will go away soon.” The gentle voice beckons for him to look up again. Victoria’s smile is relaxed and friendly. Kyungsoo feels her slender hand touching the side of his arm delicately.

“We don't abuse our powers. People are charmed only when they wish to be.” She adds reassuringly. “Now, where would you like me to be for the sitting, Mr. Do.”

“Feel free to call me Kyungsoo, your highness.” He says, feeling the dizziness gradually receding, and a little unsure with Victoria’s casual demeanor.

“Certainly, as long as you will call me Victoria.” There's a hint of playfulness in her voice.

Kyungsoo guides Victoria to stand by the window, and sets up his digital panel on a desk. His fingers start to busily manipulate the 3D hologram rising out of the panel, as he chitchats with Victoria about the history of Venus and the sirens politely. 

The sirens were a nomadic race scattered across the galaxy after their own planet was destroyed by the Anubis army. Their exodus lasted for centuries until they eventually settled on Venus a few hundred years ago, a desolate planet of no interest to others but provided the siren’s a safe shelter to call home. The peaceful existence was interrupted later, during the Republic's great expansion period, when Venus became one of the countless planets colonized. 

“It was nice to be largely forgotten by the rest of the Republic, until that fateful day, when some workers discovered Crimson Blood in an underground cave.”

“Zarphyte, what Venus is known for now.” Kyungsoo adds. 

Zarphyte is still to this day, the most powerful fuel for warp speed space travel, and hence one of the most valued resources of the Republic. Within decades of discovery, Venus became an industrial hub with enormous mines and shipping facilities, operated day and night by the millions of Commoner workers that have since made Venus home. 

“My father the king is a Commoner human, and my mother a siren.” Victoria speaks while trying not to move too much, her ivory silk dress fluttering in the wind. “A perfect example of how the two races have integrated on Venus.” 

“I see.” Kyungsoo’s hands move swiftly, the hologram slowly taking the likeliness of Victoria under his manipulation. 

“And Taemin and I are the same, another marriage of the two races. It's a bit symbiotic you see, sirens are physically frail, the human bloodline is helpful for strengthening our race.”

“Strength is rarely just a physical thing though.” Kyungsoo speaks, his eyes remaining fixed on the hologram. “The sirens have already endured so much.” 

He doesn't notice Victoria’s lips stretching just a little at the comment. 

“You have an interesting way of doing the initial sketch. It's...old fashioned. I thought you would just scan me.” Victoria says. 

“How I was taught, I guess.” Kyungsoo’s hands don't slow down. “My dad use to do clay models for his sculptures. He believed physically manipulating the materials was the only way to capture the essence of the sitter.” 

“Sounds lovely.” Victoria glances at the hologram, seemingly mesmerized. After a short pause, she speaks again. “Tell me, Mr. Do, what's my essence, in your opinion?”

Kyungsoo’s hands slow down, but he keeps his gaze down and his voice steady. “I'm afraid it's too early to tell, your highness.”

He hears a muted chuckle, light and musical, like a tiny bell chiming in the wind. “Well, Mr. Do, I guess we may have to do a few more sitting after today, then."