Dinner

While you were asleep, I found my true love

 

Heavily unbeta'd. Sorry for inaccuracies.

 


The telephone continued to ring and none of them made a move to answer it.

“Are you gonna get that, Baekhyun?” Chanyeol smirked.

“Uh, it’s okay.  I’m just gonna let the machine get it.” Baekhyun felt she was already sweating profusely.

Chanyeol stood up and headed towards the telephone. To Baekhyun’s horror, Chanyeol answered the call.

“Hello,” Chanyeol was serious and Baekhyun felt like dying. Thousands of worst possibilities ran through baekhyun’s mind.

“Baekhyun, it’s for you.” Chanyeol handed the handset after a while. The gleam in his eyes was back. He looked at her with a coy smile.

“Right.” She took the handset from Chanyeol.

“Hello,” she squeaked and she swore she could hear a snort coming from Chanyeol.

“Ugh, it’s a community centre. Kris was supposed to… uh, donate blood. He’s part of the community and since he’s not available, I should fill in for him or something like that," said Baekhyun after she ended the call.

“Great! Let’s go together then. After that, we should go and visit Kris. Plus, the whole family is going to be there.” Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol.


 

There was a tense silence along the ride to the hospital. Baekhyun desperately wished they would reach the hospital fast but they were stuck in traffic. Chanyeol turned to gaze out of the window after realizing the traffic was moving slower than a snail. He tried to concentrate on what was outside, but he was actually studying what was on the inside. Of course, it had to be Baekhyun as his subject, who was reflected in the window. Baekhyun rested her head against the window, arms folded defensively. Bathed in an orange glow from the sunset, Baekhyun looked ethereal, Chanyeol refused to admit that he liked the view.

“When did you start seeing Kris?” asked Chanyeol, breaking the silence.

“September 15th,” she tried to answer casually.

“Three months, that’s quick.” Chanyeol found himself genuinely interested.

“You have no idea.” Baekhyun puffed out her cheeks and exhaled sharply.

“That’s a fast engagement.” Here we go again.

After almost one hour sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, they eventually arrived at the hospital. Jumping out of the car, Baekhyun quickly walked towards the lobby with Chanyeol hot on his heels. 


 

“Grandma, why would you get a TV for Kris? He’s in a coma.” Yoora could not contain her laugh anymore. Her grandmother was really something.

“Then I should get him a radio. He might listen. Or maybe we should sing to him. He might wake up soon.” Grandma Wu reasoned. Yoora just giggled.

“Maybe Baekhyun knows hyung's favourite song,” Chanyeol asked, opening the door that was ajar widely with Baekhyun walking slowly behind him.

“Baekhyun, you are here!” Yoora greeted. Baekhyun smiled and waved at everybody timidly.

“Baekhyun, you know his favourite song?” Grandma Wu was intrigued. Chanyeol smiled triumphantly.

“Uh, Truly, Madly, Deeply?”

“Wow, I had enough of that song back when we were in high school. Kris practiced that song almost every day just to woo Hyeri, my best friend.” Yoora giggled at the memory.

“Which one of the dwarfs was Kris’ favourite?” Chanyeol insisted.

“Dopey.” Baekhyun bravely guessed.

“Dopey? Hmph! He’s everybody’s favourite,” said Chanyeol huffily.

“Well, I like Doc.” Grandma Wu chirped.

“Favourite ice-cream?” Chanyeol tried again.

“Ben & Jerry.” Baekhyun was thankful that she opened the fridge and got Chanyeol the ice cubes when she saw pints of Ben & Jerry. 

“Favourite baseball team?”

“Chi-Chicago.” Baekhyun stammered.

“Hah! Cubs or White Sox?” Chanyeol was absolutely not going to give up.

“Chanyeol, what is going on right now?” Mr. Wu interrupted before Baekhyun could even answer the question.

“Honey, why are you asking her all these questions?” Mrs. Wu was trying her best to comprehend the situation.

Grandma Wu suddenly coughed and started to wheeze. “Ma, are you okay?” Mrs. Wu fretted, pouring her a glass of water; afraid that her heart could not take the tense situation well.

“You know, if she wanted to prove it, she’d prove it.” Grandma Wu said after she regained her composure.

Everyone in the room was looking at her, Baekhyun found herself in hot water.

“Come on, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol prodded.

“Ugh, Kris… he has this… this big scar near his, uhm.. his private part.” 

“No way.” Chanyeol looked surprised.

“Way. About a month ago, there was an accident and he was playing basketball and… and his friend had a pencil in his back pocket...” Baekhyun trailed off as her mind flicked back to the meeting with Kris’ colleague a few days ago.

 

Baekhyun was about to enter the elevator car when she heard someone calling. Baekhyun tried to hold the door and she saw a male nurse running towards her.

“Mrs. Wu! Mrs. Wu! These are you husband's belongings.”

“Ugh, he is not my husband!” Baekhyun was frustrated.

“Here, these are your fiancé’s belongings.” The male nurse walked away. Baekhyun huffed incredulously.

Baekhyun was about to enter the elevator when another man stopped her again.

“What?” she barked. The man was taken aback by her response.

“Whoa, sorry but you’re Kris’ fiancée?”

“Okay.” Baekhyun slumped against the wall dismally, knowing that this would take longer that she expected.

“I’m Oh Sehun, a colleague of Kris at Kim & Chang.”

“Okay. Is there anything that I can help?” A hand rapped softly on the box she was holding, a clear indication that she was getting impatient.

“He’s a great guy. He had a tough year, with the accident last month and all.” The man, Oh Sehun, said.

“Accident?” Baekhyun asked tiredly.

“Well, of course it was an accident. I mean, it wasn’t my… Did he tell you that it was my fault?”

All of a sudden this Oh Sehun guy was infuriated. “We were playing basketball, all right? I carry a pencil. I’m a lawyer. I do that.”

Baekhyun was gapping. “Okay…”

 

“Eww. Eww. Just eww.” Yoora covered her ears.


 

Baekhyun woke up with cold legs and the duvet on the floor. It was ten and Baekyhun was glad it was Sunday. After washing up, Baekhyun made herself a mug of coffee and a plate of toast. She hauled her duvet back onto the bed and crawling under it. She rummaged through her bag for her phone, to see if there were any messages from Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo went back to Gyeonggi last Friday to visit her mother and she was supposed to reach Seoul later in the evening. She was still holding the phone when it started to buzz. Yoora?

“Hello,” the voice was definitely not Yoora’s. Yoora did not have a deep and male-like voice.

“Who’s this?” Baekhyun demanded.

“It’s me, Chanyeol.”

“Well, hello. To what do I owe the pleasure?” Baekhyun knew that she was being brusque to Chanyeol but this was, after all, the same man who had made her day unbearably difficult yesterday. She did not know what it was about him, but he had a knack for annoying the hell out of her.

“Hey, Baekhyun. Uh, I… I am truly sorry for the way I acted yesterday. It was very rude of me to interrogate you. I am so sorry if I hurt your feeling too.”

“It’s fine.” Baekhyun cut. Part of her understood why Chanyeol asked her all the questions. She was suddenly Kris’ fiancée and she practically waltzed into the family.

There was an excruciating pause.

“Erm… so… do you… Would you care to join me for dinner tomorrow?” Translating her silence, Chanyeol continued. “It’s a peace offering. Mom and baba… Yoora too, even grandma… everybody insisted that I need to make up with you and I… I agreed with them. We started off on the wrong foot.” Chanyeol exhaled dejectedly.

Silence.

Followed by more silence.

Finally, he heard a sigh.

“Okay.”


 

A/N: Thank you everyone! See you next time :)