Merry Christmas

While you were asleep, I found my true love

Byun Baekhyun was only twenty when her father passed away after years of battling cancer. Her mother died when she was young. After her mother died, they moved to Seoul from Bucheon to start anew. Baekhyun’s father was a diligent nine-to-five worker but they were happy as they had each other; it’s Baekhyun and her loving appa.

Luck was not on their side when Baekhyun’s father was diagnosed with a cancer. Baekhyun was in her class when the hospital called her. She cried so much when they told her about his condition. In order for her father to have his treatment on a regular basis, Baekhyun began to work multiple part-time jobs. She worked hard between her classes. Their small savings were not enough to pay the bills.

Baekhyun was still grateful for she still had her scholarship to help with the fees. She had to struggle so as to balance her part-time jobs and her school. Though she did not properly have enough sleep and sometimes she had to skip meals, she was still adamant to have good grades for she feared the university might rescind her scholarship.

It had been three years since her father passed away.  Now that it was only her, she settled as a temporary employee of a café in Seoul Station. Even though the scholarship helped her with the fees she still had to work just to keep her in enough food.

The café where she worked was not that big but enough to accommodate ample customers during peak hours. As the café was located near the subway gates, Baekhyun began to take interest in watching busy commuters passing by the café and occasionally she got lost in watching that she wiped the same spot over and over again until her best friend, Kyungsoo, a friendly girl that she befriended instantaneously when she first started working there and later her housemate, had to call her name few times.

Out of many people, there was one man that caught her eyes and said man happened to be a regular customer of the café. The first time she saw him, she felt like a prince charming riding a horse ready to sweep her off her feet. To Baekhyun, he was perfect.

His smile when he ordered his daily Americano made Baekhyun fell a little bit more in love. Every day, every morning, without a miss, she would eagerly be waiting for the regular commuter to push the door open and enter the café.

Baekhyun was easily attracted to men that were tall, handsome and had deep voice and Kris (in which she knew his name when she asked for a name to write on the cup) happened to have all the criteria.  Kris was 6’2 tall and he was attractively handsome and definitely had voice deep enough to make her melt into a puddle of goo.

“Wipe that creepy smile off your face, girl,” said Kyungsoo. People would not believe Baekhyun if she said Kyungsoo would absolutely cry a river every time she watched sappy romantic movies. Kyungsoo just gave off a strong personality yet charming.

“He might stop coming here if he sees the way you are openly ogling him.”

“Shut up, Soo and move. You’re blocking my view. Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun pushed Kyungsoo away when Kyungsoo purposely put her face right in front of Baekhyun’s. Kyungsoo giggled when Baekhyun was struggling to push her.

“Will I ever get a chance to know him, Soo? I hope someday I will have the courage and find a way to introduce myself.”

“Dream big Baek, you don’t know what fate has in store for you.” Kyungsoo smiled and patted her shoulder softly, knowing too well Baekhyun’s hardship and her seemingly lack of time to date properly. She knew Baekhyun dream to have someone that would love her unconditionally just like how madly in love her parents were back when they were still alive.

Kyungsoo was already walking towards the store room when she added,

“Don’t forget to wipe the tables, Baek. You better do it now before Junmyeon clocks in.” Baekhyun grimaced and dutifully began her assigned task when she heard Junmyeon’s name.


 

“Thank you and Merry Christmas.”

Baekhyun couldn’t stop gaping when Kris winked and smiled when he took his Americano from her.

“Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo! Did you hear that? He wished me Merry Christmas!”

Ouch! Baek, Baek! Stop! I can’t breathe” Baekhyun was hugging her best friend tightly as soon as Kris was out of the cafe. Rather than a mere thank you and polite smile like she normally received from Kris, Baekhyun was completely overjoyed this time.  Baekhyun rushed to the glass window to have a look at Kris again. It was enough even all she saw was his back. Kyungsoo just chuckled at her and continued arranging the pastries in a display case. Her friend was completely in love with Kris.

Kris was already standing behind the yellow line when Baekhyun saw him. He was reading a newspaper, completely oblivious of his surroundings.

“He can stand and do nothing and still look so handsome.”

She sighed dreamily. Both of them were completely unaware of a group of youngsters joking around while walking towards Kris until one of them accidentally tripped and had Kris pushed onto the tracks.


 

Kris fell into a coma as he hit his head hard when he was pushed from the platform. He was lucky as Baekhyun immediately rushed out of the café and bravely jumped off the rail platform and onto the tracks, risking her life to save Kris. Her brave act made it easy for her to get other people to help Kris to nearby hospital without a hitch.

It was chaotic when they arrived at the hospital, Kris was straightaway rushed to ER and Baekhyun tried to follow him but she was stopped by one of the doctors, asking her whether she was his family. Baekhyun sadly shook her head and she was immediately told to wait outside. She dejectedly sat herself on the chair nearby.

“You know doc, I was actually gonna marry him.”

She whispered rather loudly to herself. Unaware of people rushing in and out, Baekhyun did not even notice that one of the nurses accidentally overheard her muse and took pity on her.

Once Kris was clear to be visited, she was directed by the said nurse to his room. Baekhyun was utterly confused when the nurse told her about her fiancé was transferred to a single-bed room.

“Fiancé? What? Oh, no. Miss, I think you got it all wrong. I’m not his fiancée -”

Baekhyun was shushed with a wave when the nurse said that she was very well aware of how people reacted when their loved ones were brought to hospital especially to ER. She blabbered on and on until an alarm cued her leave. The nurse then left her, saying that she would let her to be with her fiancé alone.

“Talk to him. Let him hear your voice, hon.”

“Err, okay?”

Baekyun was completely confused. She did not remember saying anything about being someone’s fiancée. It was the nurse that was confused, not her.

Despite being confused, Baekhyun ended up talking to Kris.

“Hi? Uhm, don’t worry. Everything is going to be fine. I guess.”


 

Baekhyun was nearly dozing off on the chair when Kris’ family came. His mother, Baekhyun assumed she was his mother judging by panic written all over her face, started to cry the moment she saw her son lying unmoving on the bed. Baekhyun quickly stepped aside and gave room to his family. She was planning to leave the room when one of the family members called her.

“Hey, you’re Kris’ fiancée, right? One of the nurses informed me that you saved his life and brought him here.” A tall and definitely attractive young woman quickly held one of her arms, stopping her from slipping away.

“We were completely shocked when the nurse told us about you. We didn’t know that Kris is engaged. Perhaps he’s too busy and well it’s really made sense now since we know how workaholic our Kris is.”

“O-okay, look. I’m sorry but I think you don’t understand. This is just a misunderstanding. The thing is, I…”

“I’m awfully sorry, dear. We haven’t seen Kris for a long time so we didn’t know. I always wanted Kris to find a nice girl but he kept on saying that he didn’t have time to date and I’m so glad that he found you.”

Baekhyun did not know what to do when Kris’ mother hugged her and soon the young woman also enveloped her into a big hug.

“Kris’ grandmother would be so upset when she heard that her favourite grandson is in coma. Oh dear, what am I going to tell her?” Kris’ mother turned to her husband who was quietly stood near the bed.

Her husband could only shrugged his shoulders until the young woman said something about telling the grandmother about Kris’ fiancée and her quick act in saving her favourite grandson’s life. She also mentioned about getting a man named Chanyeol to help them.

Chanyeol? Who's Chanyeol?

Baekhyun panicked and she felt extremely dizzy. It was a long tiring day for her after all.