Paper Heart

F(x) Station - Paper Heart (Philippines) - ZekkenKryberLiu

Krystal’s POV

First day in collage and I already forgot almost all of my school things, thanks for being late because I overslept. ‘Great! What a way to start my first day of being a college student!’

I was busy rummaging my bag when someone poked my side. Since I was very busy on my own business, I didn’t bother giving some attention to the person beside me. I kept looking for my pen when someone poked my side again. This time, I’m getting annoyed little by little, since the person kept on doing it repeatedly.

Finally losing it, I looked straight at the culprit and gave him/her my infamous icy glares. Even though I was angry and pissed, it all subsided when I saw the face of my culprit. It’s a guy, and he’s smiling in front of me without flinching over my glares. I looked at the thing he used to poke my side. It’s a pen.

“Use this. Don’t worry, I have an extra.” He whispered. I was really surprised by this guy. No one has done that to me, even before high school and in middle school. This is the first time that there’s someone who’ll smile to me even when I showed them my glare, and what’s more is, they’ll still be nice to me even when I don’t act the same to them.

Usually, people will not do any interactions to me even when I, myself, act friendly and nicely to them, because they’re afraid at my looks.

It’s not because I have the face of a witch, okay?! I am beautiful and I‘m very proud of it! It’s just that my facial features is very cold and ferocious that people tend to think of me as an anti-social and solitary type of person, which is I’m not.

Well, I had my own friends too, but the thing is they’re all my childhood friends so they really know me even from the start, unlike those other people who only judge me by my looks. I also won the title 2nd Ice Princess while my sister is the 1st.

“Here.” He whispered again. I, being the prideful little princess that I used to be, ignored it and looked back in front as I act like I don’t need it.

But then, out of nowhere, our homeroom teacher ordered us to write something about our expectation for this school year. ‘Really?! What is this, grade school?!’ But then my mind was diverted to the fact that I don’t have any writing materials. “Of course, there’s no way I can write something without a pen. What am I gonna do now?” I mumbled.

I was fighting the urge of borrow a pen to any of my classmates when the guy with dorky smiles, poked my side again. I stared at his eyes and to his pen for a second. ‘What’s wrong with him? This guy is completely weird. Can’t he even feel my glares? What is he, numb or dumb?!’ I was busy struggling in the thought of taking the guy’s pen or not when he suddenly put the pen over my desk.

“Don’t hesitate to use it. You can also throw or keep it if you want to.” With that, he sat back and focused himself in writing his work on his notebook. I was flustered with this guy’s action. ‘Now I really want to know who he is. He’s really different from other people that I have met.’

While writing, I noticed the weird guy is laying his arms and head at his desk. Like a complete lazy bum, he immediately drifted off to sleep. Being a considerate person that I am to the people that are nice to me, I slightly nudged him. But to my dismay, he didn’t even move. He then started snoring lightly.

My eyes suddenly twitched when he weakly swatted away my hand away. ‘That’s it! You leave me no choice.’

I abruptly stood up and step beside him. I held both of his shoulders and shook him. I finally snapped when he only shrugged his shoulders and immediately goes back to his dreamland. “You definitely left me no choice, you stupid guy.” I used my last idea. I held both ends of his chair and with all my strength, I pulled it.

He shot up in surprise and looked at me. I smirked at his facial expression, but it quickly disappeared when I heard our professor spoke up, “Ms. Jung. Is there something wrong with you and Mr. Liu?”

Yuri-oppa, our professor and my sister’s fiancé, said in calm yet serious tone. I lowered my head and apologized. I shot another cold glare at the guy beside me when I heard him chuckled. “You’re dead.” I huffed before I abruptly sat back at my seat with arms crossed over my chest.

Time passed by so fast that it’s already lunch break. I immediately got out of the classroom when that dumb guy sat straight with his gaze completely set on my back. I didn’t able to notice that he smiled since I’m in a hurry to meet my friends.

Amber’s POV

I can’t stop myself from being so excited. I literally jumped all the way even though I’m tired as hell, because I didn’t able to take some rest. To top some sweets to the cake, the school I am attending into is also the person that I love attends.

That girl only used to be my crush, but the air seems too affectionate to my feelings, making it much heavy until it finally made me fall in love to her. She really attracts me, not by looks, but by what she really is.

People may think of her as a cold, anti-social girl. But to me, she’s the nicest person I have ever met. She just can’t express it out.

(Flashback: 4 years ago…)

“What ... the … HECK?!” I was breathing heavily as I run from here and there. With this heavy rain and missing umbrella, no matter how many efforts I give, I just can’t prevent the rain droplets to wet my clothes.

I shouldn’t even run like this, because I have a weak heart. But what am I supposed to do?! Stay outside a closed store and freeze to death?! I then stopped at the nearby bench that has a roof and took a seat.

“Curse this rain! How am I supposed to go home now?” I said to no one while taking my shirt off. I folded and twisted it to squeeze the water out. After hanging it over the edge of the bench, I hugged myself as I watch over the thick rain waters dropping over the hard ground.

Minutes later, I sneezed loudly. “Aish! It’s so cold.” I rubbed both of my shoulders, hoping to lessen the cold from my body. I was busy ranting over the rain that I didn’t notice the presence of someone beside me.

“Aren’t you feeling cold out here?” The person beside me suddenly asked, making me jump out from my seat. I shot a surprised look over the person, only to be struck hard by its beauty. ‘What a beautiful girl.’

My stares didn’t left her face. I was too captivated by it. “Are you okay?” She asked again. I finally snapped out from my daydream and blinked my eyes a couple of times before answering, “Y-yes!”

Because of the way I reacted, she stepped back. “W-wait! Sorry, I didn’t mean to yell!” I immediately stood up and raised my hands in the air. She looked at me in confusion but giggled later on.

Her smiling face is so captivating, no, it’s addicting. So fresh and sweet, thanks to those cherry-shaped lips. Her cat-like eyes are so cute, and her whole being is just so attracting for me to not stare onto. ‘Can I be her friend or something close to her?’ My mind repeatedly said while my heart says this, ‘I want to know her.’

“You know you’ll catch a cold if you stay like that.” She said. Even her voice is so fascinating to hear at. It kept repeating in my head like a cassette tape. “I-I’m fine!” I quickly replied. She moved closer once again, and by our approximate distance, I can fully smell her mint flavored cologne. “Then why is your face so red?” I was caught off guard at her question. ‘I’m blushing, and she noticed it!’

I was mentally panicking inside when I felt something was being shove over my stomach. I look down and saw a llama-printed umbrella. “Take it. It’s a spare one, but please do bear with the design though.” I was out of words by her actions. ‘D-did she just offered her umbrella to me? To a person she doesn’t even know?’ I was fully out of it.

Now I’ll finally say that I understood it, that I know why I’m acting like this right from this unexpected moment. ‘I fall in love to a girl who’s very beautiful, not only just in appearance, but also in personality, right at the first sight and first meet.’

After handing the umbrella to me, she told me her name. She then walked through and left over the heavy rain. I just stared at the direction she walked into. That cold yet beautiful face will never leave my mind anytime now.

There’s something that rooted in my heart and mind starting from that day. ‘I wish that someday, you’ll let me write my name and engrave it deeply in your heart’

(End of Flashback…)

Even until now, I’m still holding on to that silly wish together with my feelings.

“Hey, Amber! We’re going to the cafeteria. Wanna come with us?!” Eric, one of my best friends, called me up. “Just go, guys. There are still some things that I must do first before taking a break.” I replied to them. They all nodded and waved in goodbye. “Just go to the cafeteria if you ever change your mind!” I heard Henry’s voice from the hallway. I just chuckled at their funny yet caring antics.

I then stood up and took a deep breathe. “You can do this, Amber. Just trust yourself.” I walked out of the room. My direction is only going way up to the rooftop.

I carried a one familiar llama-printed umbrella. The cloud outside is pretty dark too. ‘It’s now or never!’ Once I was in front of the door, my grip over the umbrella tightened. I grabbed the doorknob and twisted it, and when the door opened up, an unbelievable beauty showed up upon my light vision.

Together with the weak light from the dark sky, the face of the girl I fall in love with, appeared like a goddess, sitting on the floor with her side profile.

“Krystal Jung Soojung.” I spoke up. It grabbed her attention and she looked over my direction. Those eyes that captivated me even until now was showing the sign of sadness and loneliness. With the new courage that builds up inside me, I calmly walk near her and stopped when I’m finally in front of her.

“Who are you?” She asked. I smiled and raised the umbrella in front of us. “I’m the person with a paper heart that you help over the heavy rain.” She blinked her eyes several times before widening it. “You’re that guy at the nearby bench!” Though I was happy that she still remembered me, I can’t take out the itchy feeling when I heard the ‘’ word. ‘Out of all things, she remembered that?’

“And also the annoying guy earlier.” She added with a frowning face “Y-yeah, it’s me.”

I bravely took a seat beside her. We just stared at the dark sky until she spoke up, “By the paper heart that you said, what do you mean? What type of paper heart are you?” Until now, her voice is still gentle and soft. “I mean it in a literal way. I have a weak heart and I’m pretty sure that I’m also weak on many things because of it.” I explained and she only nodded her heard in response. Another minutes passed by with the two of us in complete silence.

“Well, I have a paper heart too.” I shot her a confused look, only to be stared at with teary eyes. “I’m sorry if I’m like this right now. I just can’t help it.”

I don’t know when I ever start to be this bold to anyone. Without any warning, I hugged her firmly. I was expecting her to push me away, but she didn’t. All she did was cry silently over my chest and grip the hem of my shirt.

“I’m here to listen to you so don’t be scared to tell everything you keep inside there, okay?” I gently rubbed her back. I felt her head slightly nod, and I let go of her for that. I looked directly into her eyes and smiled. “I’m Amber Liu, and from now on, I’ll be here to guide your heart, Krystal Jung.”

Krystal’s POV

My heart beat very fast and I can’t do anything to stop it. This guy … he’s really something very different from everyone. I lowered my head and softly said, “I may seem nice but I have a strong pride.” I was waiting for him to react rhetorically at me, but I only received a slight pat over my head. I looked up and once again, that humble smile showed up.

“It’s normal for people to have a strong pride, Krystal. I, too, have it long ago. I try to act strong on the outside but my heart is like paper. But that didn’t help me anymore when I met this girl. She took out the pride over me and changed it with something more colorful and meaningful.” His smiles became even much brighter.

“You mean you fell in love with that girl?” He nodded enthusiastically. I don’t know but I became sadder than before.

“She’s pretty cold outside, but really warm inside. She has this unknown aura that really attracts me like crazy.” I started to become curious to who might that girl be. “Who is she? By any chance … do I know her?” This is not me. I’ve never been nosy to anyone. ‘But I can’t help it!’ He looked at me with a grin on his lips. “You know her very much.”

I don’t know how, but ever since that day, I became close to Amber and turned conscious at the same time because of the girl he’s in love with.

He never failed to make me smile. Together with his friends, they always gave out the happy atmosphere whenever I’m down. But out of all the good things that I am experiencing right now, the one that really made my heart escalate in ecstasy … was the fact that I’m starting to fall in love with Amber. I tried to control it but I can’t.

We’ve been friends for almost two years now and the feeling was still there, and it only keeps on growing. I was fighting the urge to not confess my feelings to him for too long, and now I decided to finally let it out.

‘I … wanna try this out … even with this paper heart. I want to try it. Just this one time, my weak heart will become strong.’

Author’s POV

Amber just finished his basketball training session with his friends when Scott showed up with a letter in his hand. “Hey, Ambro! A letter from your princess!” He handed the letter over.

“Wow, that’s so sweet. Is it a love letter?” Henry teasingly said while putting his arm over Amber’s shoulder. Eric did the same on the other side. “Why won’t two just be together already? You guys are so cute with each other.” Amber on the other hand, blushed at his friends’ words.

“I’m sure she’s only teasing me. She a playful person, you know? And also there’s no way that--“, Amber didn’t able to finish his sentence when he saw the words in the letters. The other three also looked at the letter.

Letter:

“Go to the school’s rooftop. There’s something I want to tell you and it’s very important.”

- Soojung

The latter bid his goodbyes to his buddies before rushing outside the locker room. He doesn’t know why but his instinct tells him it’s going to rain anytime soon, so he brought the llama-printed umbrella with him. After the long run to the rooftop, Amber finally reached the rooftop.

With panting noise coming from him, Amber opened the door. He saw the girl, who wants to talk to him, over the edge of the roof. Adrenaline rushed through his veins as he panicky ran near the girl.

“Stop and don’t come near me!” Krystal shouted as she held up her hand in front of Amber. “But this is dangerous, Krys! Get over here immediately!” Amber roared as cold sweats came out from his forehead. “Don’t worry. I’m not jumping off here, you stupid! I just wanted to talk to you. Don’t mind what I am doing because I’m totally fine!” Krystal seemed have succeeded on convincing the latter.

“Do you … still remember … the time we first met?” Krystal asked. “Of course, I do. We met each other on a nearby bench, being showered by the heavy rain.” Amber, now on a calm state, answered.

“That time … I was happy. I met a very funny yet weird guy that looks like a llama.” The girl smiled at the memory of the flustered Amber, being half in front of her. “I never really thought that, that guy will show up again and will take my precious paper heart.”

“Eh?” Amber was surprised at what he heard. “I know it’s shocking but … I’m telling the truth, Amber. I like you. I like you so much that I’m actually a bit scared.” Krystal sincerely said to the latter.

Amber, on the other hand, can’t keep the happiness that he felt. He immediately hugged Krystal and spun her around until he felt tired. “Thank you so much, Soojung! How long I had waited for this day to come! I like you too, Krys! No, scratch that! I LOVE YOU!” Now its Krystal’s turn to be shock from the latter’s confession.

“D-do you mean it?” She asked with teary eyes. “Yes. Ever since the first time we’ve met, I already set my eyes on you.” Amber honestly said. Krystal was very happy, yet she can’t help but to feel a little scared, and Amber noticed it.

“Are you okay? If you don’t want to become my girlfriend yet, it’s fine. We can take it slow. You know I can always wait as long as it’s you.” This made Krystal snapped away from her insecurities. With determined look, she faced Amber.

I’ve never been hurt over love or thought of anyone seriously before. So I’m serious, Amber. I’ve been hiding this from you for too long, and now I’m ready to face another challenge even with this paper heart of mine.“ Without noticing it, Krystal’s tears started flowing down from her beautiful cheeks. Amber wiped it away with his thumb as he held the girl’s face with his both hands.

“You don’t need to force yourself to be strong. Just take it easy. I’m here to help you, I promise.” The two then hugged each other like there’s no tomorrow.

I might rip so always make your words gentle and soft, ok?” Krystal said between her tears. “Yes. Yes, I will.” Amber kissed the girl’s crown, giving every love on every skin ships he’s able to give away to the girl. The dark clouds finally released its contained liquid down to its best. The two didn’t mind the big droplets of water from above thoguh.

“Krys, when it’s a rainy down, put an umbrella over me, and when I’m already losing everyone except you, please don’t make me cry anymore or my paper heart and I will torn into million pieces.” The girl nodded in response.

Krystal held the latter’s arms and firmly put it around her waist. “I’ll never forget to do it as long as you promise me that when the wind plays jokes, hold me tight in case I fly away. Knowing you made me learn how to throw away my pride in exchange of love. But you’ll be in trouble if you crumple me up like that. I’ll punish you until the day you die!” Krystal jokingly choked Amber, who’s laughing nervously at her.

Please, be gentle to me, Princess.” They’re already fully wet by the rain yet they’re laughing continuously as they start playing like little kids. Once they’re tired, they sat and cuddled each other.

“I don’t know what the use of this umbrella anymore. Why did I even brought it if I’m gonna let myself get wet?” Amber questioned his self while raising the llama-printed umbrella. “I don’t know also, but I think it’s because you’re stupid.” Krystal giggled while the latter frowned. “Hey, does this look familiar to you?” The girl showed Amber a pen with a koala designs all over it.

“It’s the pen I lend you, right?” Amber answered.

“Yeah. I’ve been keeping it for a while now. After the day I used it, I always keep it with me. ” Krystal slowly took out a thick, self-knitted scarf, which is also wet, that has many cute dinosaur figures, behind her. Amber saw it and he was glad and touched at that. He then pulled Krystal for a kiss.

Though surprised by the latter’s action, Krystal kissed back while carefully putting the scarf around both their necks.

Wanna see my heart made out of white paper? Well, I already know that you knew that fact about me … the fact that I got a paper heart.” Krystal said when she and Amber pulled away. “Wanna see your name written on the side of my heart?” The girl asked again, and the boy can’t stop grinning at what he heard.

“No need for me to see it, coz I know you already engraved it in there anyway.” Krystal’s eye twitched at Amber’s so called ‘pure honesty’. But either way she still laughed at his dorkiness.

“I love you, Amber.”, “I love you too, Soojung.”

And so, the two stay still in the rooftop, having their happy moments together without even minding the weather or the business of others. All they know about anything right now is … love already covered their fragile hearts, so with its light appearance, they’re not scared anymore, because the LOVE they’re sharing gave them the strength to keep moving on.

I try to act strong on the outside but my heart is like paper, but when the time where I first met you came, I started to soften up though my heart was having the difficulty to follow it up.”

- KRYSTAL

I like you so much that I’m actually a bit scared, but when I have known that you felt the same, I have found the new courage to face you again. And that time, I didn’t say that I like you anymore.”

- AMBER

“We both said that we love each other even after living with this paper heart, and we’re going to start a new chapter of our life … TOGETHER.”