24 Years

Only Fools

Voices filled the meadow with indistinct chatter, accompanying the sounds of chairs being set out, the minister practicing her verses, and mothers’ idle gossip. An arbor of roses stood proudly at the head of a red carpet, rows of white seats on either side. The preparations for this long-awaited wedding were finished.

 

As guests arrived, hugs and cheek kisses were exchanged. At the ring of the wedding bell, the crowd shuffled to their assigned seats. Only one person remained standing at the back, unseen.

 

Kim Namjoon stood under the arbor, listening to the minister open the ceremony. Beautiful music speaking of love everlasting played from nearby speakers as young women and men processed down the aisle. Relatives on both sides stood and watched in awe and tears as a beautiful man in a beautiful white suit followed on his father’s arm. I have loved you for a thousand years; I’ll love you for a thousand more.

 

Jungkook watched from the back, rainbow scales falling from his wings in grief. He observed, as he always had - unseen, unfelt. Forgotten and unknown. How could it be so easy for you? Namjoon never visited after he was 16. Did I mean so little to you? Eternally wrapped around Seokjin - there was no room for a fairy.

 

A fairy can never forget, cursed to love forever regardless if the love was returned or not. Namjoon’s voice spun through Jungkook’s mind, blanketing him in warmth sorely missed.

 

…to have and to hold
…for better, for worse
…to love and to cherish 
…till death do us part 

 

And if Jungkook mouthed along with Seokjin’s vows, well; no one would have seen him anyway.