Off White Castles

Just Another Girl

- "I left a list of compliments just for you at the back of your top shelf,

In case you think the things I've told you, you will hear from someone else" -

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Heehyun opened her eyes to a world of white outside her window. It must have snowed the night before and she had accidentally kicked her blanket off the bed in her sleep, which explains why she was currently shivering on the ice-cold sheets. Heehyun wasn't the type to thrash around much while asleep, but she's developed a habit over the past 2 years of sleeping right at the very edge of the bed because her former bedfellow was the type to kick and toss and turn and practice taekwondo while sleeping.

 

It's been 2 weeks since she's started sleeping alone on the queen sized bed but she's still sleeping at the very edge, giving space for a phantom to toss and turn where Dani once was. Her blanket would slip and fall off at least twice in the night, but she could never quit the habit. At least she's never tried to. She was quite sure that subconsciously she didn't want to.

 

Gingerly Heehyun reached down to pick up the fallen blanket and wrapped it around herself, trying her hardest not to compare the warmth provided by the heavy material to the warmth another pair of arms could provide her.

 

She lay down on her side, observing the kingdom of white outside her window. Heehyun has always loved winter. Partly due to her being unable to withstand heat of any kind (Doyeon would always joke that Heehyun is the only demon in hell that required air conditioning), but mostly because she thought that everything just looks prettier when it's covered in the pure white of snow.

 

"Everything?"

 

A small smiled tugged on Heehyun's lips as she remembered the events that took place nearly 4 winters ago. Has it really been that long?

 

"Everything. Don't you think so? Look around you Chae! Everything is like a postcard!"

 

Chaeyeon watched as her questionably older friend frolicked in the snow with an amused expression. It was definitely a rare sight to see the infamously lethargic Ki Heehyun bouncing around and frolicking like a woodland creature in a Disney movie but when it happens it's usually around this time of the year.

 

"Why are you always so active in the winter unnie? It's like you go through hibernation, but the complete opposite. You hibernate throughout the rest of the year and you come out of your cave in winter."

 

"Yah. What am I? A bear?" Heehyun questioned, stopping mid-snow angel.

 

"No, I said REVERSE hibernation, so the opposite of a bear. Ah! You're Eeyore!" Chaeyeon clapped her hands in excitement after arriving to that conclusion and Heehyun sat up from her pile of snow to raise an Incredulous Eyebrow™ at the younger girl.

 

"Eeyore?"

 

"Yes! Eeyore! The mopey donkey! The opposite of Winnie the Pooh has to be Eeyore right?!"

 

"I'm...a mopey donkey?"

 

"Mmhmm!"

 

Seeing the joyous look on Chaeyeon's face, Heehyun didn't have the heart to refute the claim. So she just shrugged her shoulders and lay back down to continue making her snow angel. "Sounds about right."

 

Heehyun looked up into the cloudy sky as snowflakes kissed her face. It had started snowing the night before, so Heehyun had excitedly called Chaeyeon and Dani to hang out in the park near their house but the latter was feeling under the weather (a case of eating bad oysters or something) leaving Chaeyeon and Heehyun to play by themselves in the empty park. Not that she minded, but recently she's been feeling some sort of way towards her younger friend and she's not sure she wants to explore the feelings further, for fear of ruining what they currently had.

 

"Unnie your snow angel looks kinda....lopsided."

 

Heehyun halted the production of her snow angel once again to throw Chaeyeon a look of mock-insult. The younger girl had her arms folded across her chest and her head tilted adorably to the side as she scrutinized the crater Heehyun was now making.

 

"Are you implying that I'm making a snow devil instead of an angel? Cause you won't be the first."

 

"No no I would never imply that!" Chaeyeon had her eyes wide as she vehemently refuted Heehyun’s accusation. The younger girl looked genuinely scared that Heehyun had taken her comment the wrong way, but the older girl just laughed out loud at how adorable Chae was.

 

"You think you can make a better snow angel than me BabyChae?" Heehyun challenged, and she saw a slight twinkle in Chaeyeon’s eyes. The younger girl had always been competitive.

 

"I can definitely try to. I mean, it looks like your standards are pretty low..."

 

Wow. Okay. Seems like BabyChae knows how to hit below the belt.

 

"Tsk. Little rascal. C'mere then. Show me what you got." Heehyun sat up and yanked Chaeyeon down onto the snow next to her, causing the shorter girl to fall face first into the powder with an adorable squeak.

 

Heehyun watched as Chaeyeon turned to give her the most adorable, non-threatening glare she has ever been subjected to. Straight black hair now wet and standing up in weird places, bits of snow sticking to her nose and cheeks, deep black eyes drawing Heehyun in like a moth to flame….Jung Chaeyeon was beautiful. Like, breathtakingly so, and Heehyun could attest to that because the redhead was currently having trouble breathing as she fell deeper and deeper into this unfamiliar feeling that completely engulfs her whenever she is with Chaeyeon. A feeling that she is almost scared to address because of how intense it is.

 

"You're right. Yours is much better." Heehyun sighs more than says, and Chaeyeon’s attempt at a glare dissolved into a look of confusion instead.

 

"Unnie I haven't even started my snow angel yet."

 

"Is that so? I’m already looking at an angel in the snow though."

 

A tinge of pink splashed across porcelain cheeks, and Heehyun saw the entire spectrum of human emotion flash across the younger girl’s features ranging from surprise to awe to embarrassment until it finally settled upon one that Heehyun couldn’t decipher, with Chaeyeon’s gaze falling to her lips.

 

“You’re silly, unnie.”

 

It was at that moment, lying down in a pile of snow as she stared at arguably the most beautiful girl God above has ever made that Heehyun came to terms with the fact that she has fallen for Jung Chaeyeon.

 

She wasn’t silly, she was royally ed.

 

 

 

*************************************************

 

 

The last thing Heehyun expected to greet her when she answered the front door was a giant snowman. Actually, scratch that. A giant snowman wasn’t ever on the list of things she would expect to be on the other side of the door. How was she ever going to expect this? Heehyun was having an excellent day. Her parents had gone out to do some groceries, she had the Korean-subtitled version of ‘Community’ loaded up on her laptop, a mug filled with hot chocolate to keep her warm while she laughs at Donald Glover’s dry jokes (which is exactly her type of humor) and now…this happens. This…snowman was in front of her door, staring up at her with it’s beady black eyes. Now she’s responsible for this snowman. She never asked for it, but now she has to deal with this situation, because a giant snowman ringing your doorbell at 2pm on a Sunday afternoon was exactly that. A situation.

 

"Umm....Hello." Heehyun weakly greeted, hoping that the person inside this snowman costume was not an insane murderer. That might actually be hoping for too much because in all seriousness which sane person would go to someone’s house dressed up like a snowman? It even has a real carrot for a nose! A REAL carrot! Heehyun scratched the “insane” out of the “insane murderer” because really there was no helping this person’s sanity at this point.

 

There was a brief moment of silence where Heehyun was caught in the weirdest staring match of her life, her green eyes increasing in panic as those beady black eyes stared back lifelessly. An admittedly frightened Heehyun was just about to slam the door into the -Offender Snowman’s face when she heard a familiar giggle coming from inside the suit. A melodic giggle that made butterflies erupt from the pits of her stomach, a feat that only one person was capable of accomplishing.

 

"Chae? Is that you?"

 

The snowman’s thin arms reached up to pull off it’s own head, revealing a tousle-haired Jung Chaeyeon, the proudest smile on her face. Heehyun was glad that it wasn’t a murderer underneath that costume but she might have spoken too soon because Chaeyeon’s beautiful laughter was now filling up the corridor she was currently standing in and Heehyun wanted to kill herself because really she didn’t deserve to be listening to something so divine.

 

"What's with the costume? Did you walk here from your house in that?" Heehyun asked, trying to attend to the matter at hand. The taller girl stepped aside and ushered Chaeyeon to come in, which proved to be a task on it’s own thanks to how wide her costume was. What was this girl thinking walking around in the middle of winter in a snowman costume? Chae must have freaked out half the apartment block making them think that their Snowmen have come to life.

 

At least the costume looked warm. 

 

"Well unnie...umm....remember how you said everything looks prettier covered in snow?”

 

“Yeah?” Heehyun paused for the girl to elaborate further while she busied herself in the kitchen, deciding to fix her friend a hot drink. She was still slightly miffed at the beauty in her living room for scaring her in that costume. Not that Heehyun would ever admit that she was scared.

 

“Well….I’m a snowman. Covered in snow. Well, it’s not real snow because it’s actually cloth but it’s made to look like snow….ta-dah!”

 

Heehyun paused her rummaging of the cupboards to raise an eyebrow at the younger girl before sighing and shaking her head. She turned her attention back to the drink she was making because if she were to stare at Chaeyeon any longer there was a slight possibility she might break into a smile, and she really didn’t want to give Chae that satisfaction. Especially not in THAT getup.

 

"Aren't you...aren't you going to ask me why I want to look pretty for you today unnie?" Chaeyeon asked, sounding dejected and Heehyun had to stop herself from turning to look because she knew Chae was using her patented Wounded Puppy Stare™ to garner some sympathy and Heehyun was not keen to turn into putty right now in her family kitchen. She had too much pride.

 

Keep cool Heehyun. Keep cool. She’s wearing a ing SNOWMAN COSTUME. You are NOT allowed to find her cute. "Oh I was hoping you'd get around to it yourself. I'm still deciding whether I want to laugh at you, punch you, or make you some hot chocolate."

 

Nerves of steel. Heehyun was proud of herself. Her willpower was stronger than a fasting Tibetan monk. She didn’t succumb to her desire to give the younger girl the attention she so craved. What an exemplary act! Heehyun had to remember to jot this moment down in her non-existent diar—

 

"Unnieee~"

 

Oh what an adorable whine. Before she could control her body her head had already whipped up in response to the sound and she nearly squealed at the pouting snowman in her living room. Jung Chaeyeon was SO sTUpiDLY ADORABLE. . HOW? She was wearing the stupidest outfit in the world but Heehyun still wanted to squish those chubby cheeks in her hands and knead them like a baker kneads dough. Heehyun will be the baker, and Chaeyeon will be her adorable little cinnamon bun.

 

"Fine, I'll bite. Why is it you want to look pretty for me today?” A blush threatened to tint Heehyun’s cheeks after asking that question. Chaeyeon was always pretty. Doesn’t the girl own a mirror? Well obviously not because look at how she chose to dress up today.

 

SnowChae started to fidget around slightly, eyes darting aroung the living room anxiously. "There's something important I need to tell you. Are your parents home?"

 

Heehyun tilted her head slightly in confusion. "Is it something that my parents can't hear? Is it illegal? Are you dealing drugs or something Chae?"

 

Chaeyeon’s pout became even more pronounced as her patience wore thin and irritation began to take over. Heehyun conceded, although teasing the angel brought a smile onto her face that she had to hide by pretending to busy herself with preparing their hot chocolate. The younger girl was an angel, but she packed a mean right hook.

 

"No, we're alone right now. They stepped out to buy some mushrooms."

 

"Good. Come closer unnie."

 

"But there's nobody else he—"

 

"Unnieee hurry upppp~"

 

Heehyun sighed and abandoned the hot beverages she was preparing. She was nearly done with it too but she just couldn’t seem to find where her dad kept the marshmallows. She made her way into the living room to see Chaeyeon nervously twiddling her fingers for some reason and she was still wearing that ridiculous outfit that admittedly Heehyun was already getting used to. It might be because Chaeyeon was so effortlessly gorgeous she could make anything look presentable.

 

Heehyun carelessly wiped her chocolate-stained fingers on her t-shirt before looking expectantly at her weird friend. Sure Chaeyeon had her quirks, but the girl was being particularly even more peculiar today.

 

“Yeah Chae? What is it? What are you up t—“

 

There were a lot of things that Heehyun didn’t expect to happen to her today. She did not expect to wake up earlier than 9:30am on a Sunday without setting her alarm clock. She did not expect to open her front door to her best friend wearing a costume as if Halloween came in December. But most of all, she did not expect her best friend to cut her off midsentence by kissing her on the lips.

 

Really, she must be dreaming. But the tiny arms wrapped around her neck pulling her downwards so that the shorter girl could connect their lips together felt all too real. The fire burning within her felt all too real. The soft lips of the girl she has secretly been admiring for too long felt all too real.

 

She’s only ever kissed one girl before this, but Nayoung didn’t make her feel the way she feels right now. She feels alive, she feels her knees going weak, she feels like the happiest girl on earth and it must have showed on her face because as the shorter girl pulled away she could hear the almost teasing giggle escape Chaeyeon’s lips. Those beautifully soft lips that was just kissing her. It was like being touched by an angel, Heehyun was in such a daze.

 

Chaeyeon lightly tapped her unnie on the nose and that jolted Heehyun back into the realm of the living. There was that giggle again, and Heehyun felt the arms around her neck disentangle only to wrap themselves around her waist this time, pulling their two bodies closer.

 

"I really, really like you Heehyun unnie. Will you be my girlfriend?"

 

Chaeyeon was looking up at her with the most beautifully hopeful eyes and Heehyun was seeing her future looking back at her as she stared into them. How was she this lucky? Jung Chaeyeon likes her. HER. Ki Heehyun, the chain-smoking, foul-mouthed She-Demon. It suddenly occurred to her that she had been asked a question, and the younger girl currently holding onto her like her life depended on it was starting to fidget with worry.

 

"Yah. Punk. Shouldn't you ask me that BEFORE you kiss me?" Heehyun teased, and she could see the realization and fear flash across Chaeyeon’s eyes in that order. Heehyun was sure that Chae’s confession didn’t go to plan. She was sure that the little perfectionist must have run by it several thousand times in front of the mirror that she apparently didn’t own on the way here.

 

Chaeyeon’s plan went awry because she was too caught up in the moment, and Heehyun took pride in that. The ever-meticulous Jung Chaeyeon’s plan went awry because of her. Because only Heehyun was capable of messing up Chaeyeon’s brain this badly. And after realizing that, how could Heehyun resist leaning down to capture those lips once again? Chaeyeon’s lips were a taste she was sure she could get addicted to. It was even better the second time around, and as they seperated again it was Chaeyeon's turn to look breathless.

 

"I like you too, lil rascal. I’m a bad influence and a potential threat to your personal wellbeing, but if you’d have me….I’d love for you to call me your girlfriend."

 

There was Chaeyeon’s beautiful smile again, and Heehyun wondered if there was anything else in the world more beautiful than her girlfriend’s smile. Her girlfriend, Jung Chaeyeon. If there was anything more beautiful, she would like to see it with Chaeyeon at her side just so that she could deny it’s existence because it wasn’t possible. It wasn’t possible because Chaeyeon was so breathtakingly beautiful how is anything more beautiful than her girlfriend allowed to exist? Chaeyeon had a smile that was capable of sending nations to war, and now Heehyun was lucky enough to be the person in charge of making those smiles appear Every. Single. Damn. Day.

 

"Where on earth did you get this costume anyways?" Heehyun finally asked after she managed to get off cloud 9, and Chaeyeon giggled in the most adorable way as she answered.

 

"I told Dani unnie my plan and she helped me make it. It took awhile but the costume paid off! I'll have to thank her later."

 

Dani. Oh Dani. That girl is going to be so thrilled when she finds out her two best friends are dating. She'd love it, the little sap.

 

"You better. You owe her for me saying yes." Heehyun teased, and Chaeyeon laughed in agreement before pulling Heehyun down to reconnect their lips once more.

 

 

 

********************************************************************************

 

 

Heehyun must have dozed off again somehow while reminiscing because the next thing she knew she was being rudely awakened by the sound of firm knocks on her bedroom door.

 

"Cathy."

 

She recognized the voice on the other side of her door, although she had no idea what the owner of it was doing back in town. Shouldn’t Im Nayoung be in Seoul currently, doing whatever it is the people of Seoul do? Heehyun didn’t feel up to being social today. As a matter of fact it’s been quite awhile since she’s last felt any desire for human interaction so she stayed quiet, hoping the silence would convince Nayoung to go away.

 

The sound of the doorknob turning effectively dashed Heehyun’s hopes for solitude away, making her regret not locking the door. It’s not her fault though. Sure she liked being alone, but her mother would drop by occasionally to deliver food and as tempting as solitude was, food was up there on her list. Like, way up there. Heehyun didn’t bother to greet her friend as she entered, she just continued watching the snow fall outside her window while the sound of footsteps walking towards her grew louder.

 

"Your room is a mess."

 

Heehyun heard Nayoung’s judgemental voice from the foot of her bed but she didn’t bother to turn to look at her room’s new occupant. It wasn’t like Nayoung had any right to tell her how to live her life, especially when the said intruder had just invited herself into Heehyun’s room without her consent.

 

“Seriously. Did a tornado fly around your room before I came in?”

 

"Sorry bout that." Heehyun muttered, amidst the sounds of Nayoung absentmindedly picking up dirty laundry and chucking them into the hamper by the door.

 

As if coming into her room and invading her space wasn’t enough, Nayoung’s next course of action was to join her on the queen-sized bed, occupying the empty space that Heehyun had left beside her. The redhead felt the covers being pulled off her and she proceeded to grip it tightly because her burrito of warmth was currently her safe-space, and her safe-space should be ex-girlfriend free.

 

"It's crazy cold outside. Please?"

 

The request came out soft, a tone seldom used by Im Nayoung. The words that came out of were usually authoritative, firm and concise. The soft plead and the acknowledgement that it indeed looked cold outside disarmed Heehyun, causing the girl to loosen her grip and allow Nayoung to huddle closer to her to share their blanket. It’s been 2 weeks since she’s last felt the warmth of another person, and it stuck out like a sore thumb in contrast to the chilly air.

 

"How did you get in?"

 

"Your mom opened the door.” Nayoung answered matter of factly. “It's been awhile since I last saw her. She seemed happy to see me though. She even offered some cookies she was making."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Yeah. They were horrible."

 

. "She tries though."

 

"Glad to know she's still a nightmare in the kitchen."

 

"Did you come all the way back here just to insult my mother?"

 

"No, I came here for you. The train ride from Seoul took me 5 hours, cut me some slack."

 

Heehyun couldn’t help the way the corners of started to curve into a smile. She missed having stupid banter with Nayoung, and judging by the smile she could feel pressing into her shoulder, she could say the same for her friend.

 

"Did you miss me?" Nayoung asked teasingly, as if reading her mind. The taller girl was always dialed into the same frequency as Heehyun’s brain, and the latter would always vehemently refute any similarities between the two of them. Heehyun didn’t care much for rules, whereas Nayoung was a stickler for them. They were two completely different people on the surface. The fact of the matter is however, the reason the two of them would always argue a lot and banter was probably because they were both actually so much alike, although neither her nor Nayoung would admit that out loud. They had the same mindset, same fiery personality.

 

"Well it's only been like, 6 months since I last saw you."

 

"Is that a yes?" Nayoung asked again, and Heehyun twitched when she felt a slender finger jab at her ribs.

 

"....Yes." Heehyun admitted finally with a smile. Urgh. It was a good thing she still had her back turned to Nayoung, because she absolutely did not want her friend knowing that she was capable of making Heehyun smile despite herself. Nayoung knew of course.

 

"Good. So it's not awkward for me to tell you how much I've missed your ugly face."

 

"I'm sorry my face is ugly Nayoung."

 

"Smiling helps you know. You've always had a pretty smile."

 

That statement caused Heehyun to finally turn around to face Nayoung, whom she realized was actually A LOT closer than she first thought. It wasn’t uncomfortable or intrusive however. In fact, the warmth Nayoung was providing her actually felt quite comfortable.

 

"Are you flirting with me Im Nayoung? While we're practically cuddling in my bed?"

 

"God no.” Nayoung was quick to grimace, and Heehyun laughed at the disgusted expression on her friend’s face as the taller girl continued. “I'm just being sincere right now. Besides, my girlfriend is just outside the room, probably finishing the rest of those hockey pucks your mom calls 'cookies'."

 

Dismissing the 100th jab at her mom’s cooking, Heehyun sighed as she realized the reason Nayoung travelled all the way back here from Seoul. "Did Yeonjung put you up to this?"

 

A small nod from Nayoung confirmed Heehyun’s suspicions, and she couldn’t be annoyed even if she wanted to due to the effort her friend had put in just to cheer her up. Friends. Plural. She forgets that sometimes.

 

"Yeah. Emotional Intervention time, imported your therapist straight from the big city. I'm skipping a Statistics lecture for you."

 

"I'm fine. You didn't have to."

 

Nayoung propped her head up on her hand so that she could scrutinize Heehyun’s statement and show the redhead every single evidence she could provide to support why she wasn’t fooling anybody. "Is that why you haven't left your room in two weeks? Heard you've been skipping classes too. I mean, that's nothing new but your sudden desire to be a hermit is worrying a few people."

 

"I'm fine."

 

"If you insist.” Nayoung gave in, and Heehyun nearly raised an eyebrow at that. For somebody who just travelled 5 hours to get here, Nayoung really seemed too chill about Heehyun acting dismissive. Her taller friend’s next suggestion was even more out of left field. “Want to have a snowball fight outside?"

 

"What? No! Do I look like I'm 7 years old to you or something?"

 

"The Heehyun that I know loves the snow. What changed?"

 

The sudden use of her real name momentarily stunned the redhead. Nayoung hadn’t called her by that name since…actually Heehyun had no recollection of the last time Nayoung referred to her by it. It was always pretty seamless, the transition from Heehyun to Cathy the moment Doyeon came up with that moniker all those years ago. The only two people who refused to call her by the new nickname were Dani and Chaeyeon. Nayoung had easily gone with the flow and called her Cathy for convenience’s sake, but hearing her real name spoken in a voice that was not Dani’s or Chae’s felt….odd.

 

It was almost as if Nayoung was trying to prove to Heehyun that she was not alone, and that she had more people to back her up than the two that left.

 

"She just started losing people that can keep her warm in the cold." Heehyun answered finally, admitting in a sense to the stifling loneliness she’s felt ever since her two best friends stopped contacting her. She had no idea what Dani has been up to since the breakup, but she understood that the girl needed her space.

 

“How dare you.”

 

Heehyun was taken aback by Nayoung’s sudden statement, and she watched as the taller girl rolled away from her to stare up at the ceiling instead, causing a sudden chill to run up Heehyun’s spine at the sudden lost of body warmth.

 

“How dare I what?”

 

“How dare you go on about how alone you are. How dare you act like you’re going through this alone when as a matter of fact you don’t have to. You’re not alone Heehyun. You’re not.” Nayoung said with a frown, still looking up at the ceiling instead of Heehyun, who in turn was looking at her normally quiet friend with an amazed expression.

 

“You have me. You’ve always had me. Remember back when we were younger, and we would sneak around town scared as because we were just discovering that we liked girls, and we couldn’t trust anyone else but each other with that secret? Remember how we were best friends too?” Nayoung paused, voice shaky before continuing. Heehyun watched on in silence and allowed her friend to say everything she wanted to say.

 

“Yeah, Dani broke up with you, and yeah she did it because you’re still in love with a girl who doesn’t have the time and is contractually not allowed to love you back or feel any shred of human emotion but hey, is locking yourself up in this bedroom going to change things? When I heard you and Dani broke up I was so worried for you. I wanted to rush back but the workload has been so crazy for me in uni that I couldn’t find time, but I knew I had to do it because I knew that you were going to lock yourself up in this room and you needed me to kick you out of it.”

 

“It’s a great big world Heehyun. It’s a great big world, and you are not alone in it. You have me, you have Jieqiong, Sohye, Chungha, Yeonjung, Dugong, Suje—you know what? I forgot their names. But these pricks will always be here for you. We’re persistent. The most persistent of pricks. So stop moping about, open that door and let us in.”

 

Heehyun watched as Nayoung huffed as she got too caught up in her own speech. She didn’t really know what to say, and it appears as if Nayoung herself had run out of words so they just lay on opposite sides of the bed, looking at each other as the rest of the world seemed to pause around them. Heehyun found it ridiculous that Nayoung came all the way into her room from Seoul just to scold her but she appreciated the gesture. She appreciated how much the latter cared.

 

“No wonder you’re studying Political Science. That was some speech.”

 

“I’m on the Dean’s List. Running for office in 15 years, mark my words. You’re gonna be able to tell people you dated the President, and I’ll get to deny it publicly.”

 

“I can imagine that.” Heehyun said while laughing. It felt good to laugh. For a while there she swore that she would never ever get to be happy again.

 

Suddenly Heehyun felt like addressing something that she had been pondering for awhile now, but wasn’t brave enough to ask out loud. Steeling herself for the answer, she looked to Nayoung and prayed that her voice did not fail her. “How i-is…H-how is Dani doing? Do you know?”

 

It came out a lot softer than she intended and for a moment there Heehyun was afraid that Nayoung had not heard her (she really didn’t feel like repeating the question) but the taller girl eventually answered after a pregnant pause.

 

“She’s…she’s doing fine. A little worst off than you to be honest, but she’s Dani. She’ll bounce back. She’s too optimistic to stay down for long. Just give her some time and space. Since it’s the holidays Somi has been visiting her every day to check up on her.”

 

“Oh. I see. That’s…that’s great to hear.” Heehyun answered weakly. She was glad that Dani was going to be okay. After all, eventhough Dani was the one who broke up with her, it was Heehyun that broke her heart first by not being over Chaeyeon. It felt like one of those cliché romance novels because she knew deep down that she and Chae could never work out for numerous reasons, but her heart was even more stubborn than a mule on a summer’s day.

 

Her thoughts were disrupted by arms wrapping around her waist and she looked down to see Nayoung snuggling closer into her, burying her face into Heehyun’s pyjama top and looking up at her with eyes full of concern. This wasn’t the Nayoung she was used to. This was almost horrifying. Since when did Im Nayoung become a cuddler?! Still, it was warm. Heehyun liked the warmth, so she decided Nayoung could stay cuddling her. For now.

 

“How about you Hyun? Feeling better?” Nayoung asked in a soft voice, and Heehyun had to say that indeed, she did. So she nodded with a smile, and seeing Nayoung’s face light up in pride at managing to cheer Heehyun up nearly made her laugh again.

 

“How could I not, after that speech? You really gave it to me.”

 

“Yeah, I kinda got carried away.”

 

“ it was like I was being lectured by myself. It’s scary how much you sound like me when you say more than 5 words a sentence.”

 

“Pfft. How’s it like being scolded by a prettier you?”

 

“Are you finally acknowledging how similar we are Nayoung?”

 

“….Sometimes. When I need to turn the Mode on, you’re the best rolemodel.”

 

Heehyun burst out into laughter at that and softly punched Nayoung’s shoulder, who burst out into laughter in turn. Heehyun wondered when she would ever get to see this side of Nayoung again, but part of her did not want to. If this Nayoung only appeared whenever she was down in the dumps, she hoped that she would never see cheery, cute Nayoung ever again in her life. She’ll just savour this moment as it is right now.

 

"Uhh...what’s with that dumb look on your face? You're not going to kiss me are you? I won’t be cool with that, fyi." Nayoung asked with an eyebrow raised, effectively ruining the moment.

 

"I hate you Nayoung." Heehyun breathed, getting a muffled "I hate you too buddy” in return from her friend who was currently snuggling into her to get warm.

 

“Err….this is cute and all, but why is my girlfriend burying her nose into your s Cathy? Should I be jealous?”

 

Heehyun jolted up in shock when she heard the voice coming from her door and lo and behold, a very confused Zhou Jieqiong had her head peeking in from the doorway.

 

“No, not at all Jie. We were just…ummm” Heehyun struggled to get her words out because she didn’t know how to describe what had just happened. Were they talking? Were they having a heart to heart? She weakly turned to Nayoung for help but the latter wasn’t helping when she looked to the Chinese girl and responded with a straight-faced “Yours is still better sweetie.”

 

Heehyun learned that day that a jealous Zhou Jieqiong is the scariest thing she’ll probably ever have the misfortune of seeing and experiencing. She’ll also have the image of the great and powerful Im Nayoung on her knees, pleading for mercy while a Chinese Goddess stood over her carrying hellfire and brimstone forever engraved in her mind.

 

 

 

******************************************************

 

 

Chaeyeon gazed longingly onto the world of white outside her window. It had snowed the night before, but here she was stuck in a large van comfortably cramped with 5 other occupants instead of out there frolicking in the snow. The van she was currently in was stopped in the parking lot of an amusement park, her next performance venue. They had been touring the country for the past few days, hitting 3 cities a day and it's come to the point that she's already lost track of what city she's currently in. The rest of her group mates seem to have the better idea since almost all of them had taken advantage of the extra time to catch up on sleep, while she wasted hers away staring at the ferris wheel that she did not have the liberty to ride.

 

“Yooo Chaeeee~ Whatchu looking at Dollface?”

 

A loud voice crashed through the silence like a bull in a china shop, which pretty much summed up Yebin in a nutshell. The older girl was loud, but weirdly personable at the same time. Eunjin decribed Yebin as "that girl who you want to dislike, but she's your best friend anyways" which was an accurate description. Of course Yebin would be one of the few still awake in the van to disturb Chaeyeon's reverie.

 

“Nothing much, unnie. My hometown has a ferris wheel that looks just like that one right there.” Chaeyeon replied, eyes still glued to the large structure looming over the distance.

 

“Ohh. Feeling a little homesick?” Yebin inquired gently, a hint of sympathy tinting her voice.

 

Chaeyeon sighed. “A little.”

 

"You'd think they would give us some time off for Christmas. Management is kinda savage when it comes to working us." Yebin stated with a pout that became further pronounced when Eunchae turned around to chime into the conversation. "Unnie you don't even celebrate Christmas."

 

"A holiday is a holiday isn't it?! Besides, it that we have to work in the cold. It always makes me sleepy." Yebin huffed, folding her arms across her chest and lightly kicking the back of Eunchae’s seat just to annoy the maknae.

 

"I like the cold."

 

Eunchae and Yebin paused their bickering to turn to look at Chaeyeon. The visual still had a faraway look in her eyes as she stared out of the window, and the pair of them weren’t exactly 100% sure whether she was actually talking to them or to herself.

 

"Oh?" Yebin made a gesture for Chaeyeon to elaborate, and the latter eventually did after prying her eyes off of the Ferris Wheel outside.

 

"There's an unnie that I'm close to back home. She's usually pretty hardcore. Too cool for school and stuff but for some weird reason she acts like a little kid when she sees snow. Can you imagine the most intimidating girl you know making snow angels? She's so...cute. Winter reminds me of her."

 

"She sounds fun!" Eunchae excitedly chirped, and Yebin nodded in agreement.

 

"Yeah. I'm curious why we haven't heard about this unnie of yours before." Yebin was intrigued, because Chaeyeon rarely spoke of her life before becoming an idol. The rest of the members always assumed it was a taboo subject, so none of them ever approached her about it. It wasn't uncommon in their field of work, people not wanting to talk about their past and their journey to becoming an idol. There was something about the way her groupmate’s eyes lit up as she talked about this particular unnie though that raised Yebin’s curiosity.

 

Chaeyeon just scratched her cheek while smiling sheepishly, her gaze dropping to her lap in response to Yebin’s inquisitive stare. "Have I really never mentioned her before? I…I guess I just haven't found a reason to bring her up in conversations."

 

"She must be ecstatic that you're a famous idol now. I doubt there's that many idols coming out from Bucheon eh?" Yebin teasingly nudged the visual with her elbow, and Eunchae looked on with fascination as mild annoyance started to creep onto Chaeyeon’s features.

 

"For the millionth time I'm not from Bucheon unnie~! I guess Bucheon is close enough though so I can’t exactly blame you on that…We’re kinda lacking any landmarks out there. And no, I don't think she was too thrilled when I told her I wanted to become an idol."

 

"I'm kinda curious about her now. The only friend of yours that we know is Somi, and that's because she calls all the time. You wouldn't happen to have a photo of her would you?"

 

"Who, Somi?"

 

"No, the unnie that you're close to! BaboChae!"

 

"I sense an ulterior motive from Yebin unnie." Eunchae muttered under her breath, louder than she intended because Yebin stuck her tongue out at the maknae in response.

 

"Shush maknae-ya. It's common knowledge that pretty people hang out with other pretty people. Have you seen how Somi looks like? This unnie of hers must be attractive as well!"

 

“Yebin-unnie your gay is showin—OW!”

 

“Don’t make me hit you Eunchae-ya.”

 

“But you DID HIT mE!”

 

“Don’t make me hit you again then!”

 

Chaeyeon watched Yebin and Eunchae’s argument while she fought a battle of her own internally. She really didn’t feel like revealing Heehyun’s picture to her groupmates because, well, she wasn’t up for telling stories today. She trusted Yebin to not make a big deal of it though, but she wasn’t too sure about the maknae. Against her better judgement, Chaeyeon reached into her bag and pulled out her wallet, where she kept a strip of photos from when she and Heehyun visited a photobooth back when they were still dating. "Well...I do have some pictures of her that I carry around..."

 

"In your wallet?? Ooooh I sense a juicy storyyy." Yebin chirped excitedly as Chaeyeon handed her the strip of pictures, almost reluctantly.

 

Unfolding the strip in her hand revealed a set of four photos arranged vertically. The colours in the photos were slightly faded, an indication of their age. Keeping them in a wallet for a prolonged amount of time must have also done some damage to the image quality. She could barely make out an image of what appears to be a younger Chaeyeon smiling happily into the camera while a girl with red hair stood next to her, not looking too keen to take the photo. Even though the colours in the picture were faded, the redhead’s emerald eyes stuck out prominently.

 

Yebin’s eyes trailed downwards to the second picture, in which Chaeyeon was now kissing the redhead’s cheek while the latter’s slightly feline features showed surprise. It felt strange for Yebin to see this side of Chaeyeon, even if it is through a picture. Her groupmate was often likened to a porcelain doll. Mostly for her stunningly pale skin, but also because Chaeyeon wasn’t very expressive when she was not on stage. Almost as if she was wearing a mask. The level of skinship she was showing in the photo was a rare sight.

 

The third picture suffered the most weathering damage, with almost half the tiny square faded into white. Chaeyeon’s proud, almost teasing smile after kissing her unnie’s cheek could barely be discerned through the weathered picture. Again, Yebin has lived with Chaeyeon for more than 2 years now, and she’s never seen her friend look this…happy.

 

Yebin’s eyes continued it’s journey downwards onto the last photo, and they widened in surprise at what she saw. It was barely discernible, in fact Yebin had to hold the strip up so that the dim rays of light from outside the window could properly illuminate the small square but there was no mistaking that the two people in the photo were now kissing each other. Chaeyeon was usually very private about her life. Yebin would say that she’s the closest one to Chaeyeon in their group, but she knew that there were some things that her friend preferred not to share with her and Yebin respected that. It never occurred to her that Chaeyeon would play for the same team as her though. The visual always seemed so straight-laced and pure that Yebin always assumed she was straight. Either she was very wrong, or Chaeyeon must be reaallly comfortable with this unnie of hers.

 

"Oh wow she's....." Yebin began, but it was one of those rare instances that she was rendered speechless. She absentmindedly flipped the strip over and noticed that ‘Chaeyeon + Heehyun, Come What May’ was written in neat handwriting, circled in a heart. Yebin suddenly felt like she was peeking into a part of her friend’s life that she shouldn’t be prying into, and she felt a tad bit guilty.

 

"She's gorgeous." Yebin weakly finished. It was the truth. This ‘Heehyun’ was indeed incredibly stunning and dare she say it, exactly her type. She never knew that she and Chaeyeon shared the same taste. Oh all the wasted wingman opportunities!

 

"Unnie I wanna see too!" Eunchae whined and made to reach out for the strip of pictures in Yebin’s hand but the latter managed to pull it out of the maknae’s reach after a quick glance at Chaeyeon’s panicked eyes.

 

"Eunchae, why don't you go check on our manager to see what's taking so long." Yebin suggested, putting on her best ‘unnie’ voice.

 

"But unnie--"

 

"Go on now. He's been gone for nearly an hour. We don’t want to be late for our schedule." Yebin insisted, and Eunchae reluctantly pulled her hand back, leaving the van with the most adorable pout on her face. Yebin had to remember to make it up to the maknae somehow. Ice cream should do the trick.

 

"Thanks, Yebin unnie."

 

Yebin turned to Chaeyeon to see the younger girl flashing her a small, appreciative smile. She understood the younger girl. She understood why Chaeyeon probably kept Heehyun a secret from them. The younger girl must have tried her hardest to bury her past, along with all her feelings under a thick layer of concrete. Chaeyeon made sure her soul was rock-hard, so that her heart could stay trapped underneath. Acknowledging Heehyun’s existence would have brought all those suppressed feelings back.

 

Yebin didn’t recognize this vulnerable look in Chaeyeon’s eyes. The younger girl was so good at putting on masks that frankly Yebin felt a tad bit scared for Chaeyeon’s well-being. Being an idol was about making other people happy, but at what cost?

 

"Was the breakup a clean one?"

 

Chaeyeon seemed taken aback by Yebin’s question. She obviously was not expecting to be talking about this subject anytime soon, and Yebin watched as the younger girl opened as if to start answering, only to close it again without uttering a single sound as if she herself was trying to come up with the best answer. After a few more seconds of formulating, Chaeyeon finally muttered a simple "No..."

 

Yebin nodded in understanding. It was never easy. "Neither was mine.” Well, if the porcelain doll was going to start opening up, Yebin might as well join in as well. That way they were both on equal footing.

 

“Unnie?” Chae asked, unsure. Yebin’s life prior to becoming an idol was as much a mystery to Chae as hers was to Yebin.

 

“I mean, I wish it was clean. But how do you tell the person that you love that you're leaving them to follow your dreams, and that they can't come along for the ride? How do you tell them that you’re going to be spending the rest of your life pretending that they never existed in public, while you cry yourself to sleep every night as you try to convince yourself the job is worth the heartache? It's bull, isn't it?"

 

"We're idols unnie. We signed a contract. It is what it is."

 

It is what it is. Tell that to yourself often enough and you might just believe it. Yebin figured Chaeyeon must have recited it like a prayer mantra.

 

"Chae-unnie phonecall for you!"

 

Eunchae suddenly shouting while yanking the door of the van open startled the two girls who were waist deep into their conversation, along with the other (previously sleeping) occupants. Eunchae held the cellphone out impatiently towards Chaeyeon, who took it after a moment of composing herself from the interruption.

 

"Must be Somi updating you about her pet penguin again." Yebin guessed, but Eunchae shook her head.

 

"Nope, this is a different girl. She sounds older."

 

That left them all confused, because only Somi was allowed to have access to their manager’s number, and that was only because the girl had somehow managed to charm it out of their normally stone-hearted manager. Who else could be calling Chaeyeon?

 

"Hello?" Chae softly spoke into the receiver, not wanting to wake the other members up again after they drifted back to sleep.

 

"Hello, is this Chaeyeon?"

 

The voice was familiar. It was soft, but clear. Chaeyeon has heard it plenty of times before, but voices sound different through the phone. She was sure this wasn’t a creepy stalker though because the tone of voice was gentle, and although only 4 words were spoken Chaeyeon felt warm, and protected, and—

 

"DANI UNNIE??!" Chaeyeon shouted in unadulterated shock after she realized who was on the other side of the line. So much for trying not to wake up the rest of her members, but this was Dani! Her non-biological sister! Dani was calling her! To say that Chaeyeon was ecstatic is an understatement.

 

"Yah. Is this one pretty too? How many pretty friends do you have? What the hell is up with this town you're from??" Yebin chimed in, pressing her head closer to Chaeyeon’s in hopes of hearing how this “Dani” girl sounded like but Chaeyeon skillfully dodged her groupmate, causing the older girl to smash her face into the window instead.

 

"Dani unnie how'd you get this number?? Did Somi give it to you?"

 

There was a pause, and Chaeyeon repeated the question after a moment of silence thinking that Dani had not heard her.

 

"Yeah, she did. Listen, I've been meaning to call to tell you this, but I don't even know why. I just feel like it's something that you ought to know."

 

Chaeyeon frowned after hearing those words. What on earth happened that was urgent enough for Dani to call her on her manager’s cellphone?

 

"Is it serious? Is everything alright?" Chaeyeon asked, heart beating a million miles a minute.

 

"Not really..."

 

"Unnie...? Unnie what is it?" Dani was scaring her. Did something bad happen? Was she okay? A thousand scenarios ran through Chaeyeon’s overimaginative and panicked mind, but Dani’s next words caught her completely off guard, nearly making her drop the phone in shock.

 

"Heehyun and I broke up."

 

 

 

*************************************************************************

 

 

The frigid winter air blasted against her skin the second she opened the door, sending on overdose of tingly senses to flood her body and suddenly Heehyun felt alive again. She adjusted the scarf wrapped around her face to properly shield her from the chill and stepped out to face the day.

 

Heehyun hasn’t been out much since Dani broke up with her 3 weeks ago. She hasn’t been feeling up to facing the world beyond her bedroom walls, but today she felt better. Today for some reason she felt like going for a walk in the town of white that she’s only been observing from her bedroom window. Heehyun paused as she walked past a banister covered in snow to scoop some up in her gloved hand. She watched in odd fascination as the snow turned to mush and melt in her palm, a smile forming on her face as the slurry formed a pool in her hand. Heehyun realized she probably looked slightly demented smiling to herself while snow ran down her arm, but she guessed she didn’t mind it much. The townsfolk never really had the best perception of her in the first place anyways.

 

She began walking around town without any particular destination in mind. Something about being in the cold just resonated with the girl. Maybe it was the fact that her personality was icy in itself, but Heehyun felt right at home walking down the empty roads made unfamiliar due to the many layers of snow covering her surroundings.

 

“Be careful walking home okay kids? The roads are slippery!”

 

Heehyun turned to her left to see a group of kids walking/running out of a shop while a tall woman looked on from the doorway, hands on her hips and shaking her head in obvious disapproval at the kids ignoring her advice. Heehyun recognized this woman as the owner of the local ice cream shop that she and Chaeyeon used to frequent, and sure enough that’s exactly where her aimless meandering has taken her. Right in front of the familiar dessert shop.

 

“Kahi-unnie.”

 

The older woman snapped around when she heard someone calling her name and Heehyun nearly laughed when she saw Kahi squint in her direction, struggling to recognize the green-eyed girl.

 

“Oh my…is that…Cathy?!”

 

Heehyun smiled and walked towards the familiar elder woman. She’s spent a good portion of her childhood inside Kahi’s ice-cream shop, making memories and an equal of amount of mess to go with it. “It’s been awhile unnie.”

 

“Tell me about it. Your hair! You dyed it pink! I almost didn’t recognize you!”

 

There was a moment there where Heehyun had no idea what on earth Kahi was talking about but then the rusty gears of her brain slowly clicked into place and she remembered that she had dyed her hair about a week ago in a symbolic attempt to ‘start fresh’ or something. It wasn’t her idea. “Oh….my hair.”

 

Heehyun twirled a lock of pink around her finger and she smiled at the strands wrapped around her finger, a feminine pink that was the polar opposite of her personality. “Yeah, I guess I was aiming for a bit of a change. A close friend once recommended the colour to me.”

 

“It looks good on you.” Kahi said with a knowing smile. “Say, want to come in? I’ll treat you to a cone. It’s a slow business day anyways.”

 

Never one to refuse free ice cream and having no other plans for the day, Heehyun accepted the offer almost immediately, following the older girl into the shop with a bounce in her step, feeling like a little kid again.

 

“So, what’ll it be? The usual?”

 

A lump formed in Heehyun’s throat as she made to answer the question. Ordering the usual meant...the Strawberry Cheesecake flavor. The flavor she would order every single time she came with Chaeyeon. The flavor that they would share together since both of them couldn’t afford more than a scoop, and Chaeyeon loved strawberries while Heehyun hated the fruit but she loved Chaeyeon. Chaeyeon wasn’t here today though. There was absolutely no reason for her to go for it, and it was the perfect scenario for her to try one of the other flavors Kahi had.

 

“….Yeah. The usual is fine.”

 

Old habits die hard. Chaeyeon was just a habit that refused to die.

 

Kahi handed Heehyun a cone topped with an absolutely generous amount of the Strawberry confection before taking a seat across from her, observing the pink-haired girl as she (hesitantly) got to work on the ice cream.

 

Kahi eventually broke the silence that filled the empty shop with the last question Heehyun would have expected to hear. “Word around town is that you and that Kim girl broke up recently. How’re you holding up?”

 

“Urgh are people actually talking about that?”

 

“Yeah well, it’s a small town and we don’t got much else to talk about.”

 

Heehyun rolled her eyes before biting a large chunk out of her ice cream in annoyance, effectively earning herself a minor brain-freeze.“Bet they’re loving it. Cathy Ki the She-Demon gets dumped once again! I’m pretty sure the townsfolk are enjoying the fact that Dani the Town’s Daughter is no longer under the Demon’s clutches.”

 

“Wow, you cook up some fascinating movie plotlines. Include some family betrayal into that story and I’d watch it.” Kahi said, amusement on her face as she watched Heehyun take out her anger on the poor dessert in her hands. She’s known the younger girl for a long time now, and she knows the rumours surrounding the infamous Cathy Ki but honestly she never saw any truth in them. The Cathy Ki that she was familiar with was the one that would come in every Wednesday’s and Friday’s after school to order a flavor of ice cream that she obviously disliked just so she could share it with her beautiful, porcelain-skinned companion.

 

That wasn’t a Demon. That was a whipped puppy.

 

“Actually, a few high school boys came in a few weeks ago and I overheard them talking about how attractive you are Cathy.”

 

That statement earned her Heehyun’s attention and a raised eyebrow thrown her way in apparent disbelief.

 

“Yeah. Something about how you blossomed after high school or something. They were comparing you to that Chinese girl and I must say a surprising amount chose you over her.”

 

“What? Me?! Over Jieqiong??” Heehyun shouted in shock and Kahi grimaced as bits of icecream was spat out at her. Yeah. She might be attractive, but she was definitely still lacking in refinement.

 

Kahi chose to continue on speaking while wiping her face off with a serviette. Was this kid really 19? “Mhmm. I heard a few girls are also quite enamored by you. I think they look up to you or something. People always like rebels. I guess to them you’re some sort of rolemodel.”

 

“What a horrifying thought.” Heehyun gasped in terror, and Kahi could only nod in agreement before a sly smirk stretched across her face. A smirk that had Heehyun’s eyes darting towards the front door because that kind of smile was definitely bad news.

 

“Y’know…I could use someone like you in this shop.” Kahi started with her arms folded as she watched the gears turn in her pink-haired dongsaeng’s head. Heehyun was eye-ing her curiously while her ice cream continued to melt into a sticky mess on the table. She’s going to have the younger girl clean that up later.

 

“What does that even mean?”

 

“Y’knowww….you’re attractive, popular, and that pink hair has you looking even more feminine than before. I’m pretty sure if you work here you’d attract tonnes of customers.”

 

Things finally clicked in Heehyun’s brain. Kahi was offering her a job. Employment. Because she was ‘popular’. The very concept of it caused Heehyun to burst out into laughter and send her half-finished cone of ice cream sailing across the shop, making Kahi twitch in annoyance. “How bad is your business unnie, that you’re resorting to using MY -appeal to bring in customers? You must be grasping at straws!”

 

“Oh you have no idea. I’m planning on getting married in the future and I could definitely use the boost in sales. I’m pretty sure being a university student is taking it’s toll on your wallet as well. C’mon Cathy~”

 

Kahi got her on that front though. University has been expensive. She wasn’t aware that marketing textbooks and tuition fees would be so expensive, one of the many drawbacks of choosing her university course through a game of darts. Kahi was a nice woman but Heehyun wasn’t sure how she would be as a boss, but upon recalling her parents’ credit card bill for the past month in addition to her need to get out of the house more often resulted in Heehyun coming to a pretty quick answer.

 

“Fine. I guess working in an ice cream shop isn’t the worst job I can have.”

 

“Really? You’re in??” Kahi blinked, almost in disbelief. She was about ready to dig into her stash of blackmail material to get the younger girl to agree but this was brilliant. She could already see the charismatic, pink-haired lass behind the counter scooping up ice cream for drooling adolescents. Yes, this was going to be a wonderful business acquisition.

 

Heehyun on the other hand, was second guessing her decision with the the evil glint in Kahi’s eye. And they call her the Demon?! This ice cream shop owner practically had Beelzebub’s theme song playing in her head! “Just…don’t parade me around like some kind of circus attraction?” Heehyun could only ask/beg/plead in a weak voice, but Kahi was already up on her feet obviously not listening to her.

 

“Oh I can’t wait! I’ll need to print your face on posters and banners….cardboard cutouts! Like that Seolhyun girl! Yes! Tell me is your good side on the left or the right side? Your isn’t nearly as perky as hers is though….”

 

“UNNIE!” Heehyun whined, completely AGAINST the idea of making cardboard cutouts of herself. Sure she needed to get her mind off things, but what the hell has she gotten herself into?

 

A job. Cathy Ki Heehyun just landed herself a job.

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello! So, that was a long chapter eh? I hope it wasn't too boring for y'all. It took me 2 hours to proof-read through the whole thing because I kept getting distracted while reading it which really isn't a good thing ain't it? When even I find my own work boring hahahaha!

So....this chapter though....what do y'all think of it? I personally had fun writing it, although it was difficult at parts. The thing I like about this chapter was the fact that I could finally make sense of all the foreshadowing I've done. The reason behind me introducing the icecream shop at the start of the fic was for Heehyun to start working in the shop eventually. I made Heehyun dye her hair pink here after having Chaeyeon suggest it to her back in Chapter 4. This chapter also shows why I made Nayoung Heehyun's ex, just so that I could have a third party character kick some sense into Heehyun and have them be close enough for Heehyun to listen to advice. This chapter also introduced a few DIA members into the fic, as well as an "origin story" for Heehyun and Chaeyeon's relationship. 

I kinda realised that it must be hard for people to connect to Chaeyeon huh? She's barely been in the fic, so it's no surprise that people don't really connect well with her in this story so I'm making a bit of an effort to show that Chaeyeon does indeed still think of Heehyun. The reason why it took a month for this update to happen however, was the Heehyun and Nayoung part. I swear, I've written at least 7 different ways of how that situation was handled. I had Nayoung act completely out of character, being cuddly and cute. I've had her act nonchalant and stone-faced as she talked sense into Heehyun. I even tried this super-awkward thing where Heehyun was so deprived of human attention that she tried to kiss Nayoung after the latter cheered her up, but I replaced that with the "you're not going to kiss me are you?" line instead. It was tough, but I'm happy with the direction I went with in the end. Hope y'all are too!

Huge shoutout to the subscribers and upvoters! Thank you's for upvoting this round goes to monocal, WantedInspirit, Egaaladin, Emerald_Vampire, wantermelon and MinaMeme! I'm so sorry if I accidentally left someone out, my upvotes page aint loading properly. If I did, kindly leave a comment below and I'll try to make it up to you hahaha! 

Oh if y'all are wondering, I imagine the photobooth pictures in Chaeyeon's wallet to look something like this one below. Well, at least the first picture. The one with Chae smiling and Heehyun not looking keen to take a pic. You can imagine how the other 3 pictures would look like hahaaha

Thank you so much for being patient and waiting for this fic to update. I swear, I'll see this through to the end if you'd wait for me to finish. I'm horrible at updating promptly, but I try. I won't leave this hanging. I also have a napink fic about nayoung being horrible at peeling apples, and I've been writing a sequel for that story but this one is the main priority. Thank you for being patient! <3 All the love and subscribers and upvotes seriously move me in a way I can't explain, I hope y'all know that. I treat all y'all subscribing and upvoting as if y'all are investing in me, and I won't let the investment go to waste! I shall bring y'all a good and continuously improving fic! :D