All That Hair Dye

Just Another Girl

 

The bright rays from the sun slipped through the cracks in the blinds and bathed Heehyun in it’s harsh light, causing the redhead to groan. Clenching her eyes tighter didn’t seem to help because the light still burned bright behind her eyelids, so without having any other choice Heehyun was forced to wake up and greet the new day. Heehyun’s mother always reminded her that it was important to start the day with a positive attitude, and she must always leave the bedroom with a smile so that the rest of the day will be a good one as well.

 

“.” Heehyun sleepily grumbled, cursing the great ball of fire in the sky. Ah yes. That was positive enough.

 

Heehyun roughly patted around the bed to grab the nearest pillow to shield her eyes from nature’s alarm clock. Burying her face in the silky pillowcase, her annoyed demeanor immediately relaxed when her senses was filled with the scent of tangerines.

 

Dani’s pillows smelled like Dani, Heehyun concluded and a dumb smile spread across her features at the realization that she was currently in her girlfriend’s bed. Dani’s parents have been out of town for the past few days, so Heehyun had taken the role of keeping her girlfriend company while at the same time studying together for the upcoming exams. It was a win-win situation.

 

The redhead felt a pair of arms circle around her waist from behind and Dani’s beautifully girlish giggle floated into her ear as the latter pressed into Heehyun’s body so that there was no space between them.

 

“Are you done grumbling babe?”

 

Heehyun could literally feel her girlfriend’s amused smile pressed against her shoulder.

 

Dani’s stupidly husky voice in the morning almost made Heehyun want to open her eyes and turn to face her girlfriend. Almost. “Shut up and let me sleep.” Heehyun grumbled in faux annoyance.

 

“Aww my little grouch is so adorable when she can’t wake up.”

 

Heehyun took offense to being called a ‘little grouch’. Heck if Heehyun was going to be a grouch she definitely was not going to settle on being a ‘little’ one. Ki Heehyun doesn’t do things halfway so if she was going to be a grouch she would be the most massive grouch in the history of grouches.

 

As the redhead prepared to share this fact to her girlfriend however, she was cut off by a rough kiss on her cheek. The first kiss was immediately followed by an onslaught of kisses as Dani happily rained her lips down on any surface of Heehyun’s face she could reach in an attempt to wake her girlfriend up, and she did so with a gleeful laugh.

 

“S-stop it! Go away you ! Go make breakfast or something.” Heehyun whined and tried to swat her annoying girlfriend away and it seemed to work for a moment because the kisses stopped.

 

Heehyun suddenly felt Dani’s warm breath fan against her ear and that already husky voice somehow managed to become even huskier as her girlfriend whispered right into her ear.

 

“Can I have you for breakfast instead?”

 

A small gasp involuntarily escaped the redhead when she felt Dani’s lips start to kiss her neck, moving upwards to lightly run her teeth on Heehyun’s earlobe before kissing the sensitive spot behind her ear.

 

“Ew, morning breath. How attractive.” Heehyun weakly chuckled as she allowed herself to be turned around by her girlfriend so that they were face to face.

 

“I know right? I'm so attractive, you just can’t keep your hands off me.” Dani replied with a proud smile that made Heehyun roll her eyes but before the redhead could refute that claim the taller girl had already pulled her girlfriend forward and crashed their lips together.

 

This wasn’t one of those “you’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me” kind of kisses, it was more like the “I want to ravish every inch of you” kind and Heehyun’s head was spinning with how passionately she was being kissed. Her ego didn’t allow her to be topped but a wayward hand that crept up her loose tshirt caused another gasp to leave the redhead’s lips and Dani took full advantage of that moment by slipping her tongue into the equation.

 

They were a mess of roaming hands and tangled limbs, but Dani won the match when she lightly led on that sweet spot right underneath Heehyun’s jaw causing the redhead to utter her girlfriend’s name in a moan. The sound of her name being uttered in such a submissive way by her usually charismatic girlfriend spurred Dani on and it only took a second for Heehyun’s shirt to end up on the floor. Her kisses trailed down to Heehyun’s collarbone and the latter had arched her body upwards to meet those educated lips, leaving just enough room for Dani to reach around and unhook Heehyun’s—

 

*ME GUSTAS TU, GUSTAS TU, SUTUTURU JOAHAEYO~

 

They both paused in their actions at the sudden sound of Dani’s ringtone and the taller girl grumbled while reaching for her phone as Heehyun flashed her a look that spoke volumes. The main point that got across was “Don’t you dare answer that phone Kim Danielle come back here and finish what you started”.

 

Heehyun could only scoff in disbelief as her girlfriend ignored her and answered the phone call anyways, animatedly chatting with whoever was on the other side of the line while casually twirling the redhead’s bra in one hand.

 

“They’re on the way.” Dani announced finally after ending the phone call.

 

Heehyun only grumbled because she was suddenly reminded of who ‘they’ were and why ‘they’ were on the way. She was also annoyed that ‘they’ had timing that was perfect enough to ruin her fun. “How many minutes do we have?”

 

“Probably not a lot. Doyeon doesn’t live that far away. Cheer up cupcake! Today was your idea too.”

 

The redhead groaned again because Dani was right. It was her idea to have a Harry Potter marathon with their friends to take a break from studying for midterms. If only she had the foresight of setting the appointed time just 30 minutes later. Nay, in her current state maybe 3 minutes would be enough. How on earth was Dani just sitting there all smiley and not as frustrated as she was? Also, cupcake?

 

Heehyun reached out and yanked her bra off of her girlfriend’s finger. “Cupcake is the worst one yet. Your nickname skills seriously need refinement. Jieqiong don’t got a book on that?”

 

“Unfortunately no, she doesn’t. What do you like to be called? We’ve been together for 7 months now and we’re still calling each other ‘babe’ and ‘sweetie’. So dull.” Dani lay on her side while propping her head up with her hand while staring lovingly at Heehyun, tracing invisible lines along her girlfriend’s arm with a slender finger.

 

“I like it when you call me Big Poppa.”

 

“……..What?”

 

“Throw your hands in the air, if you’s a true playa~” Heehyun started laughing at her own joke while Dani just stared at her with an eyebrow raised.

 

“Is that…a Notorious B.I.G song?” Dani inquired and Heehyun’s laughter only got louder as she nodded to confirm that yes, she did indeed just quote a Notorious B.I.G song.

 

“You are the biggest idiot I know.” Dani sighed while poking her girlfriend’s forehead, inches away from the scar Heehyun received from the basketball incident 5 months ago. Heehyun made to bite the finger as Dani withdrew it, following it until she was back in Dani’s arms.

 

Heehyun nuzzled herself into her girlfriend, enjoying the warmth and the smell of Dani’s tangerine-scented shampoo. “I wub you.”

 

Dani nearly melted at her girlfriend’s sudden aegyo. The charismatic Cathy Ki that everyone knew and is sometimes afraid of is actually just a gigantic marshmallow.

 

“I love you too babe.” The taller girl replied and she buried her face in red locks as she kissed the crown of Heehyun’s head. “You’re still topless.” Dani suddenly remembered, feeling hyper aware as her girlfriend was pressed against her.

 

“We’re running out of time. Think it’ll be faster to shower together?” Heehyun looked up and Dani’s heart stopped when she saw the mischievous glint in those green eyes.

 

“You’re horrible Hyun!”

 

There was a light slap onto Heehyun’s shoulder, before a giggle and suddenly Heehyun found herself out of bed and being pulled into the adjoining bathroom by her girlfriend.

 

 

***************************************************************** 

 

“Gaddangit I am NOT letting you choose the pizza Cathy!"

 

"This whole day was my idea so yeah, I think I have the right to choose what pizza we get!"

 

Dani watched her girlfriend and Doyeon get into a heated argument about pizza toppings from the comforts of her sofa. All eyes were watching in amusement at the two girls currently standing in the middle of her living room. Dani didn’t really care who won to be honest, although obligation says that she should be rooting for Heehyun. She just wanted their debate to be over with so that they could get started on their Harry Potter marathon.

 

"Nobody else here but you wants anchovies on their pizza! Fish on pizza is just disgustinggg!" Doyeon cried out while gesturing to the other girls in the room.

 

"Actually I’m pretty okay with anchovies." Chungha chimed in casually while munching on a pack of dried sweet potatoes.

 

"Me too. I kinda like it as well." Echoed Sejeong from beside her, trying but failing to get Chungha to share her snack.

 

Heehyun’s face lit up upon hearing Chungha and Sejeong’s comments. The redhead wore a smile that stretched across her face that looked almost demented. "Hah!! Eat that Kim Doyeon! Or better yet, eat the TRIPLE ANCHOVY PIZZA WITH EXTRA ANCHOVY I'M ABOUT TO ORDER!" The redhead proceeded to pump her fists in the air in victory, and Doyeon looked at Chungha and Sejeong with a glare that almost screamed ‘look at what you two idiots just did.’

 

"Okay, maybe thats too much anchovies." Jieqiong commented, trying to dissuade her friend from ordering a whole aquarium of fish on their pizza.

 

"Have you ever like, opened your mouth and immediately regretted saying something? I'm having that moment right now." Chungha groaned, voicing out her regret at mindlessly supporting Heehyun.

 

"Cathy I swear don't make me give you another scar. This time it wont be an accident!" Doyeon yelled and tackled the manic redhead just as she had started dialing on her phone.

 

"Why don't you just order two pizzas?" Nayoung asked disinterestedly from the corner of the room where she sat with her girlfriend on her lap. Like Dani, she really didn’t care about the pizza flavor. She wasn’t a picky eater. She just wanted to start watching the movie because she had been waiting all week for today, although she’d never admit it.

 

"Are you going to pay for the second one?" Doyeon curtly replied Nayoung from the ground where she was casually sitting on a screaming Heehyun.

 

Nayoung gave Doyeon a contemplative stare before simply nodding. "Point taken. Carry on then."

 

"We should get a judge in here to solve this problem.” Yeonjung suggested while poking a defenseless Heehyun’s cheek.

 

"Why can't we just have a show of hands and see who-" Jieqiong began but was cut off by Heehyun who had managed to power Doyeon off of her, sending the brunette tumbling towards Yeonjung with a yelp.

 

"SILENCE! We are in the house of Cathy Ki's girlfriend so by default, Cathy Ki gets to choose an impartial judge!" Heehyun bellowed out to the room, and Dani could only sigh at her idiot of a girlfriend.

 

"Did she...just refer to herself in third person?" Nayoung asked, unsure with an eyebrow raised while Somi just shook her head at the scene. Wasn’t she supposed to be the youngest one here? "I'm not sharing a pizza with Cathy unnie. What if her stupidity is contagious?"

 

Heehyun scanned the room to select someone worthy of being an impartial judge to their little dilemma. Finally, she settled her eyes on the girl in the far corner of the living room who looked as if she was trying to shrink herself into the furniture and disappear from this scene. The girl barely spoke since she got here and she looked alarmed when Heehyun’s green eyes locked onto her. Yes, this girl will do just fine.

 

"Kim Sohye!"

 

"Y-yes ma'am?" Sohye stuttered in reply, nearly jumping up in shock when Heehyun suddenly addressed her.

 

"Decide what flavour of pizza we should have! Between Meat Mania or Anchovy. As a disclaimer I really like anchovy and I think you'll very much enjommmfhhh" Heehyun couldn’t finish her sentence due to Doyeon clamping a hand over from behind to shut her up from babbling.

 

Sohye was flustered by the sudden instruction. Frankly, she had no idea why she was there or how she even ended up mixed up with this group of people in the first place. Sohye didn't have many friends. In fact, she didn't even leave her house much because she was always too busy studying or reading books so she didn't get the chance to mingle with people her age. Her social skills were underdeveloped to say the least. There was one thing that she was aware of however, and it was only because almost every mother in town would tell their child the exact same thing.

 

What ever you do, don't get mixed up with Ki Heehyun.

 

Maybe it was the abrasive attitude or the sharp eyes that always left a bad first impression. Maybe it was the cigarettes or the openly lesbian thing, but somehow she believed the stories and rumours surrounding Cathy Ki and she became frankly terrified of the redhead and her gang of ragtag friends, who were all here in this tiny living room staring right at her and waiting for her to solve their pizza problem.

 

One thing that didn't seem to match up to the image however, was that Cathy's friends didn't have as bad a rep as she did. There was Im Nayoung the Head Prefect, Zhou Jieqiong the (so called) prettiest girl in school, Kim Sejeong the Head of Student Council, Kim Chungha the star of the school's talent shows, Kim Doyeon the Head Cheerleader, Yoo Yeonjung the loudmouth dimwit, Jeon Somi the future successor to Jieqiong's title, And Kim Dani the nicest girl in school. Aside from Yeonjung, how was Cathy Ki the She-Demon friends with these people? Cathy even used to date Jung Chaeyeon, the idol. How was that even a thing? Being surrounded by so many influential people was giving Sohye a severe case of social anxiety.

 

"Yo, is she broken? Should I try switching her off then on again?"

 

“Cathy she’s not a phone.”

 

“I think you’re scaring the poor girl Cathy, stop looking at her like that.”

 

“I’m scaring her? What the did I even do? Yo Sohye am I scaring you? What’d I do?”

 

“You sound like you’re about to steal her lunch money unnie. Honestly how did a barbarian like you even manage to land a sweetheart like Dani-unnie?”

 

“Somi there’s no point in me stealing her lunch money when we can’t even decide what we’re gonna have for lunch. Loser here is supposed to decide for us.”

 

Sohye snapped out of her thoughts and forced herself to come up with an answer. She hasn't been hanging out with them long so she doesn't know how true the scary rumours are, but Sohye really didn't plan on finding out.

 

"Why not...half and half? Half Meat Mania and half Anchovy, that way everyone can have what they want and be happy…..I’m sorry." Everyone just stared blankly at her suggestion and Sohye immediately started to panic, thinking she said the wrong thing.

 

"Holy . She's a genius!" Doyeon suddenly exclaimed after what felt like an eternity of silence, and Heehyun whooped in agreement. The rest of the room showed no reaction because…they really didn’t care much.

 

Well, that went...pretty okay? Sohye wasn’t dead yet, so she assumed she did something good.

 

"Umm...sorry to ask, but why am I here?" Sohye timidly asked, wondering if it was alright for her to speak up in this environment. This wasn't her first time in this house because she's been tutoring the group for the upcoming exams for the past week or so, but she really wasn't comfortable in this environment. Her weak heart was petrified of Cathy Ki. She shouldn't have said yes when her study partner asked for tutoring help, but how was she to know that Yeonjung was friends with the Demon Queen?

 

"Why are you here? How do we answer that? Like why are you here on earth? That's a pretty deep question Sohye."

 

"No I mean why am I here in Dani-ssi's house? I thought I'm only here as a tutor, but from the looks of it we're not doing any studying today."

 

Thunderous footsteps echoed in the living room as Heehyun approached her and Sohye yelped, trying to avoid eye contact when Heehyun squatted down to her level. If the rumours were true, one of Cathy's many demonic powers is the ability to turn you into stone if you make eye contact with her. Apparently that's what happened to Im Nayoung. Sohye didn't want to be a stone.

 

"Sohye do you like Harry Potter?"

 

"I've...never had time to watch the movies. I've read one of the books though." Sohye truthfully answered, wondering if there was a right or wrong answer to the question.

 

"Good. That's why you're here. You're gonna watch Harry Potter with us."

 

Sohye started to wonder if the blood sacrifice required of her was going to happen before, or after the movie marathon but that lapse in her guard caused her to accidentally look up and make eye contact with Heehyun. Sohye recoiled slightly in shock but those green eyes that seemed to pierce into her very soul didn't seem intimidating at all. They actually felt...warm. And Sohye felt warm looking into those eyes. What was this feeling? This wasn't in the "How To Survive Demonic Encounters" handbook that she had read prior to coming here.

 

"It's just a couple of friends hanging out to watch a few movies. You can leave if you want, but we'd like it if you stayed." Sejeong said from next to Sohye. She had no idea when the Class President even moved to sit beside her, but Sejeong had an arm around Sohye’s shoulders and there was that warm, unfamiliar feeling again.

 

"F-friends?" Sohye stuttered out, as if this was the first time she’s heard that word.

 

"Yeah. Friends. And the maknae there says she wants to keep you." Sejeong pointed to a very excited Somi.

 

"I've always wanted a pet penguin!!" Somi had leaped forward like a frog and hugged Sohye, completely overwhelming the timid girl. She wasn’t sure if this was what it was like to be accepted into something, but this ‘hanging out with other living people’ thing actually seemed to be inviting for a change. Wait, what did Somi just call her?

 

"P-penguin?! Why am I a penguin??"

 

“You actually do kinda look like a penguin.”

 

“Yeah, Som is right. Maybe it’s the hair.”

 

“She waddles when she walks too. I bet she’s a good swimmer.”

 

Just when Sohye was about to inform the room that she in fact had NO IDEA how to swim, she felt a hand ruffle the top of her head. Blushing at the sudden affectionate gesture, Sohye looked up and once again locked gazes with those warm and inviting green eyes.

 

"Just kick back and relax, loser. We're starting out with The Sorcerer’s Stone."

 

And Sohye found herself doing something that she never expected herself to in the presence of Cathy Ki, which was nod in excitement. She was hanging out with friends! She had friends now! The irony was the only friends she’s made in her entire high school life somehow ended up being the only people her mother had warned her against befriending. Funny how life worked.

 

 

*******************************************************************

 

Heehyun rushed out of her house clutching a length of black cable in one hand and a pineapple in the other. They were 3/4-way through Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban when Dani's HDMI cable decided to stop functioning, so Heehyun was forced to run to her house to get an extra one, which was located in the next apartment block.

 

The pineapple was there because she was hungry.

 

Heehyun really didn't need to be running. She's already seen that movie about a thousand times before but who would have thought that the once timid Sohye would get THAT invested in the movie. Seeing the crestfallen look on the dork's face made Heehyun feel bad so here she is, running back to her girlfriend's place, breaking every personal record ever set by herself just so that the Loser Penguin could find out whether the Mad Tree kills Harry or not.

 

"Unnie??!"

 

Heehyun heard someone call out as she ran but she assumed that the feminine voice must be talking to someone else. Even so, Heehyun found her feet stopping all the same and her body moving on it's own to turn in the direction of that voice out of instinct.

 

"Unnie I knew it was you!"

 

Suddenly Heehyun felt the wind get knocked out of her as she was tackled around the midsection, nearly falling over. Heehyun felt small arms encircle around her tightly and a mess of pink hair blurred her vision. The girl currently hugging her smelled like strawberries. Only one girl was allowed to smell like strawberries.

 

"Oh my god Chae?!! What are you doing here??" Heehyun asked/wheezed in shock as the pink haired girl looked up at her with a blinding smile on her face.

 

It really was Chaeyeon. It's been about 5 months since they last saw each other in school, and her best friend seemed to have gained a few centimeters in height in that time span. Was that even possible? Chaeyeon was always unreal, but Heehyun always figured that only referred to her beauty, not her ability to grow.

 

"I have a few days off, so I came back here to visit my family! ...Why do you have a pineapple unnie?" Chaeyeon asked, pointing to the spiky fruit that Heehyun was currently holding away from her so that the idol didn't get pricked.

 

"I was hungry.” Heehyun dismissively answered before bringing to attention an even more pressing matter. “You changed the colour of your hair."

 

"Yeah, it's pink!" Chaeyeon happily chirped, letting go of Heehyun so that the younger girl could give a twirl for her unnie, letting her hair cascade and making everything seem to smell like strawberries. "What do you think? Do you....like it?" The younger girl had a tinge of pink on her cheeks that matched her hair as she asked that, and Heehyun nearly had to bite her lip from squealing at the adorableness.

 

Nearly. Because Ki Heehyun does not squeal.

 

"You look absolutely ridiculous."

 

Chaeyeon scoffed and lightly shoved her unnie's shoulder. "And you're still rude....I think I look cute."

 

Heehyun snorted at Chaeyeon's statement, and upon seeing the insulted look on the younger girl's face the snort transformed into an all out laugh, causing Chaeyeon to whine pathetically before eventually joining in as well.

 

"So the pineapple's for eating, what's the HDMI cable for?"

 

"This? The girls are over at Dani's right now, and her cable malfunctioned halfway through the Harry Potter marathon."

 

The change in expression on Chaeyeon’s face did not go unnoticed, and Heehyun could only question why the earlier chirpy girl looked slightly...crestfallen.

 

"Oh. That...sounds fun." Chaeyeon responded while trying her best to put on a smile, but it never quite reached her eyes.

 

“Is everything okay Princess?” Heehyun asked in concern, the nickname slipping from her lips out of habit. Chaeyeon immediately nodded, trying to prevent the redhead from worrying about her.

 

"Everything’s good! Don’t worry about me!” Chaeyeon tried her best to dismiss her unnie, but Heehyun has known and seen every single aspect of the younger girl. She knows when Chaeyeon is lying, and by right she shouldn’t be pressing the matter but maybe she was still a bit protective of the younger girl.

 

“Everything’s okay…..except?” Heehyun pressed, and Chaeyeon hesitated before sighing.

 

“Being an idol is fun. It’s everything I can ever wish for, but I can't remember the last time I had friends to hang out with. I’m…kinda lonely. I don’t have a cellphone and contacting people through email because it’s so slow…" Chaeyeon confessed, shuffling her feet out of embarrassment and guilt because she had just only reunited with her best friend a few minutes ago and already she’s dumping her emotional baggage on her.

 

"Yo. Idiot."

 

Chaeyeon’s head snapped up so comically fast at being called an idiot that Heehyun actually felt concerned for the idol’s neck for a moment.

 

"M-me?? An idiot??" Chaeyeon could only sputter, seeking confirmation. Never in her life has she been called an idiot. She didn’t know whether to feel insulted or amazed.

 

"Yes you. Come on. We're gonna watch Snape turn a rat into a human." Heehyun said before walking away, gesturing with a flick of her head for Chaeyeon to follow her.

 

The younger girl struggled to follow however, remaining rooted to the spot instead as a result of uncertainty and doubt. "Are you sure it's okay? It's been so long! Would they even want me there?"

 

"Of course they do, and even if they don't their opinions don't matter because I want you there. So you coming or not?" Heehyun asked as she continued walking. Chaeyeon hesitated for a brief moment before coming to a decision and running after her unnie, slowing down only when she was right beside the redhead.

 

Seeing Chaeyeon walking alongside her again after a year brought back memories in Heehyun, and the latter couldn't help but smile. “Hold this pineapple, my arm is getting sore." Chaeyeon was surprised when the spiky fruit was suddenly handed to her but she took it off Heehyun anyways.

 

Heehyun felt Chaeyeon hook her arm around her own, and she looked down to see the beautiful visage looking up at her with a content smile on her face, one that inspired Heehyun to reply with a smile of her own. It felt natural and dare she say it, it actually felt right. Almost as if they were meant to be connected this way. Chaeyeon’s increase in height also allowed the younger girl to rest her head comfortably against Heehyun’s shoulder, a fact that Heehyun tried to deny because this girl couldn't get anymore perfect. Heehyun’s sanity would not allow it.

 

In hindsight it probably wasn't a good idea to be walking arm in arm with your ex girlfriend to your current girlfriend's house, but Heehyun just couldn't deny the sweet electricity that resonated where they were connected, so just for these few minutes, despite her better judgment, she allowed herself to be immersed in this moment.

 

“Have you ever felt like dying your hair?” Chaeyeon asked out of nowhere, breaking the comfortable silence between them.

 

“As in, dying it again? It’s not like my hair is naturally red.” Heehyun stated matter-of-factly, a laugh beginning at the back of but she held it back when she noticed the confused expression on Chaeyeon’s face. The younger girl had her eyebrows furrowed together and she had her head tilted to the side like a confused puppy as she stared intently at Heehyun’s hair.

 

“My hair isn’t naturally red Chaeyeon.” Heehyun stated again, slowly this time. She could practically see the gears in Chaeyeon’s head turning as she registered the information. Suddenly the idol stopped walking and her jaw dropped in sudden realization.

 

“Did you seriously think….Bloody hell Chae which full-blooded Korean has natural red hair?!” Heehyun was glad she wasn’t holding the pineapple anymore because that would have made the facepalm hurt a lot more.

 

“I don’t know! I guess I never thought about it because it suits you so much!”

 

Heehyun only shook her head in disbelief before continuing her walk to Dani’s place, slowing her pace to ensure the still dumbstruck girl was following her which she eventually did once the confusion and surprise wore off.

 

“What colour should I dye my hair?” Heehyun asked finally after a few more steps.

 

“You’d do it? Really?”

 

“Well...A little change wouldn’t hurt.”

 

“How about pink? Like mine?”

 

“What? Urgh no! I’d look about as ridiculous as you do!”

 

“Then we can match! It’ll be like a coupl—“

 

Chaeyeon had cut herself off midsentence, and Heehyun curiously finished her sentence for her. “A couple look?”

 

“I didn’t want to finish that sentence. I’m sorry, I wasn’t thinking.” Chaeyeon replied, face a furious shade of crimson. The younger girl looked flustered at the slip of her own tongue, and Heehyun had a feeling her own face was equally as flushed.

 

“All that hair dye must’ve gotten to your head.” Heehyun nervously chuckled, trying to ease the awkward air with a sense of humour but she realized that it didn’t work because her entire life was a joke.

 

“Yeah. I guess that must have been it.”

 

They walked in continued silence, this time it was all but comfortable. Heehyun wanted to jump off the side of the apartment and end herself at the moment but she was already on the first floor so the fall wouldn't exactly do much.

 

 Dammit.

 

The pair eventually ended up in front of the elevator that would take them up to Dani’s floor, thus beginning the most awkward few minutes of Heehyun’s life as she pressed the button to call the elevator which took several lifetimes to get to them. Her sensitive ears heard a soft mumble from behind her, and she turned around to address it.

 

“What was that Chae?”

 

“I said…. I bet you’d still look beautiful with pink hair. You’d look beautiful no matter what you do to your hair because…well, you’re you.”

 

There it was again. That horribly delicious feeling she would get at the pit of her stomach whenever Chaeyeon would open to say the dumb things she does. Dumb things like calling her beautiful. Dumb things that Dani would tell her as well. She wasn’t beautiful, she was awkwardly proportioned and she’s never worked out a day in her life.

 

Why was Chaeyeon looking at her like that though? It reminded her of the way Dani would look at her, but it was different. It was… it was almost as if those eyes were shining with the reflection of light sources that didn’t exist. It was almost as if those eyes were drawing her into a different galaxy. Heehyun knew this shouldn’t be happening. Chaeyeon was the one who had broken up with her, but she couldn’t keep pretending that this…this feeling was something insignificant.

 

Chaeyeon was so beautiful Heehyun could cry. Everything from the way she spoke, the way her body seemed to gracefully move closer to Heehyun so that they were now breathing the same air, the way her ridiculous pink hair felt soft between Heehyun’s fingers as the older girl tucked a stray strand behind her perfectly shaped ear, the way those equally pink lips seemed to part as a whispered “unnie…” was breathed out, everything was magic. And Heehyun had no idea how or when she had gotten this close to the girl but their lips were only inches away from touching. All it took was a slight push. A gentle nudge. A small—

 

DING!!

 

Like a gun Heehyun shot back away from Chaeyeon as the sound of the elevator arriving brought her back down to earth. Chaeyeon had dropped the pineapple onto Heehyun’s foot as well out of surprise, further shaking her out of the dreamlike state she was in earlier as she cursed in pain, waving off the younger girl’s sincere apologies.

 

“W-we should go.” Heehyun stated finally after clearing , taking determined steps into the elevator. Chaeyeon nodded in agreement, following her in. If she thought the earlier wait was awkward, this elevator ride was pure unadulterated torture.

 

Maybe, just maybe it was impossible for Chaeyeon and her to be just friends after all.

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sorry for the super long chapter! Believe it or not it was actually longer than this before but I cut it up into two seperate chapters hahaha!

Does this answer the "Who will Heehyun end up with" question? Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know. I know where I'm going with this but the journey is just kinda...taking a few turns hahahaa! Apologies for the language in this chapter. I just thought that was how delinquent Heehyun would speak, and that would be why people are so afraid of her. People like Sohye.

I liked the Sohye part. It might not have been necessary and it probably added like an unneeded 1600 words to the chapter but I thought writing how approachable Heehyun actually is was kinda cool, even if I do say so myself. Writing all those characters into conversation was a mess though...hopefully the conversations didn't seem too much of a mess. It's so hard to juggle characters.

I made it a Harry Potter marathon because yo, DIA's Mr Potter is coming out soon maaaan and Heehyun has Pink hair in the comeback so this chapter has bits of me making fun of her for that hahahaha tough rapper with cotton candy hair Heehyun you marshmallow!

Huuuuge shoutout to the upvotes! littledreamer, youngyul, tjandra_jesslyn, and ILuvSNSD9 ! Greatly appreciate the support! Please comment if you guys have any suggestions or feedback or if you're enjoying/hating the fic so far. I love interacting with you readers!

P/S: HERE's a cute Chaeyeon thingy to apologize for the late update and for making this long as hell.