"Bucheon, but slightly to the left."

Just Another Girl

Heehyun sighed as she watched the group of girls dancing on the screen of her phone. All of them seemed so… lively. It was almost as if these beautiful girls currently singing and dancing on the tiny screen she was holding in her hands were mocking her as she sat in this tiny classroom, waiting for school to start.

 

Heehyun was just a high school student. A senior from a no-name all girls school in a no-name town. Why was she even comparing herself to these idols? They lived in two completely different worlds. Heck, as Heehyun continued watching the performance she wouldn’t doubt it if somebody told her even the sky that you walk under if you were an idol was a brighter shade of blue.

 

“Are you watching what I think you’re watching Cathy?”

 

Heehyun didn’t even manage to turn to look before the owner of the voice snatched the phone away from her.

 

“Yo Yeonjung what the hell?!” Heehyun raged as she tried to snatch the phone away but the girl standing in front of her desk kept holding it out of arms reach.

 

“Yeonjung, why are you torturing Cathy again?” Im Nayoung asked as she walked into the classroom and was met with the sight of her two immature friends bickering. Again.

 

“She’s torturing herself Nayoung. She’s watching videos of that girl again.” Yeonjung countered.

 

“I am NOT! I just so happen to like that song okay, now give it back!”

 

“Oh please. ‘On The Road’ isn’t even that good of a song.” Doyeon chimed into the conversation and laughed at the insulted look on Heehyun’s face, who looked as if the taller girl had just insulted her mother.

 

Yeonjung joined in on the laughing when a hand suddenly came out of nowhere and gracefully lifted the phone out of her grip. Shocked, Yeonjung whipped her head around to find Dani looking at her with a disapproving look.

 

“Kim Dani! What’s with the pickpocket skills? Those fingers are deft!” Yeonjung exclaimed as Dani returned the phone back to a very annoyed Heehyun.

 

“Let Heehyun watch whatever she wants to.” Dani replied before turning to Nayoung who was now seated in her seat across the classroom.

 

“And you Nayoung! As Head Prefect I would have assumed that you would put a stop to this kind of bullying! Do your job!”

 

“As Head Prefect I should have punished her for watching videos on her phone during school hours.” Nayoung simply stated and that was the end of that. Im Nayoung didn’t talk much but when she did, she did so with authority.

 

“Look Cathy. It’s been half a year now. Have you still not moved on from Chaeyeon?” Chungha asked out of nowhere. Figures. Chungha was always there whenever emotional matters where involved but the girl was never present for any other thing.

 

Suddenly Heehyun realized that her classroom was filled with some of her close friends, even those that weren’t in the same class as her. Urgh. Yeonjung must have called another one of her—

 

“Emotional Intervention time!” Yeonjung cheered with a cheeky grin as she wrapped her arms around Sejeong and Somi’s shoulders, who just arrived.

 

“That is not the case at all Chungha. And Somi what are you even doing here in the senior’s building you’re younger than us!”

 

“Meh. I got the message that this was an E.I. I just hope there’s tears this time. All the past E.I’s have been sooo boring.” Somi shrugged.

 

“Be quiet Somi stop being mean.” Dani chastised the younger girl and was met with the half Korean girl sticking her tongue out at her,

 

“Look Cathy. Chaeyeon is an idol now. She hasn’t even been attending classes. She’s moved on from this life of hers. Maybe…maybe it’s time you do too?”

 

“She’s just another girl! Don’t let her stick it to your heart so hard! I mean, I get that she’s gorgeous as hell but looks aren’t everything!”

 

Heehyun wasn’t even sure who was talking anymore. She had her face buried in her hands at the embarrassment. Good gosh why were her friends so loud? This wasn’t even their classroom. Why was she born into this life?

 

“Even the name of her group is dumb. DIA? What does that even stand for? Diarrhea?”

 

“Somi nobody will get it if you use big English words.”

 

“But you and Chungha unnie get me don’t you unnie? Tell Dani how funny you think my joke was.”

 

“Guys. Please. Can you not talk about Chaeyeon’s group that way?” Heehyun finally spoke up after she ran out of patience. It had been half a year since Chaeyeon broke up with her, but the wounds still felt fresh and she still felt protective about the younger girl. Old habits die hard. Chaeyeon was just a habit that refused to die.

 

“Can all of you please not talk at all? Class started about 2 minutes ago. Please kindly return to your classes before I start writing down names.” Nayoung spoke low as she approached Heehyun’s table. It was true. Their teacher looked particularly annoyed as he stood in front waiting to teach the class and the judgmental eyes of her peers were all focused on the tiny group gathered around Heehyun.

 

Heehyun wished that humans came equipped with an off switch because she really didn’t want to be here right now. Those eyes… she was used to people looking at her. She wasn’t a delinquent per se, but she got into her fair share of trouble with her rambunctious friends. She smoked and cut class often but it wasn’t like she was beating people up for their lunch money or anything of the sort. She minded her own business. The looks she used to receive from her peers eventually intensified from one of judgment to scrutiny and outrage when this delinquent started to date one of the prettiest and quietest girls in school, Jung Chaeyeon. What Heehyun couldn’t stomach, was when the gazes shifted to one of pity after Chaeyeon had broken up with her.

 

Heehyun could stomach the judgment and rumours, but the pity she could not.

 

With one final call of “Intervention adjourned!” Yeonjung led the gaggle of girls that Heehyun calls friends out of the classroom. It wasn’t that Heehyun wasn’t appreciative. She loved her friends and greatly appreciated their efforts to make her feel better, but Yeonjung’s Emotional Interventions (E.I’s for short) were always ill-timed due to the girl’s lack of sense.

 

 

********************************************************** 

 

“Wanna walk home together Heehyun?” Dani asked as Heehyun neared the entrance to the school. She suspected that Dani had most probably been waiting there for her to finish classes, like she often did.

 

Heehyun had known Dani and Chaeyeon for a good while now since they all lived in the same apartment complex. Well, used to. Like most idols, Chaeyeon had moved into a dorm when she debuted. The two girls always called Heehyun by her real name instead of Cathy unlike the rest of her friends because the nickname only came about in highschool when Doyeon had commented that Heehyun always acted “catty” whenever she was annoyed at someone.

 

Maybe it was because of this old connection that allowed Dani to see through every single one of Heehyun’s lies. Dani always knew whenever Heehyun was trying to lie about what she was feeling, and Heehyun suspected that Dani had waited for her at the entrance because she wanted to talk about this morning. She wasn’t feeling up to having one of those talks right now however. She was quite content with swimming in denial.

 

“Nah. You go on ahead. I’ve got uh…things to do.” Smooth lie Heehyun. 10 out of 10. Judging by the way Dani was staring at her with an eyebrow raised, it appears as if the latter agreed with how good the excuse was.

 

“That is the weakest excuse I’ve ever heard.” Oh shut up Dani.

 

“Why won’t you ever let me have one Dani? You could have at least told me it was a nice try. I need my little victories in life.” Heehyun grumbled but realized she didn’t have an excuse to avoid walking home with Dani.

 

The taller girl in front of her sighed and patted Heehyun’s shoulder.

 

“I get it. Just don’t get home too late okay? I don’t like it when your mother calls me to ask where you are. She always sounds so worried.” Dani spoke softly and the hand that was on Heehyun’s shoulder slowly moved to cup her cheek, and an unfamiliar warmth rose up from within Heehyun’s stomach at the delicate contact. Before Heehyun could make sense of the feeling, the contact disappeared and Dani had already begun walking away.

 

Heehyun watched as Dani walked away until her friend’s back disappeared into the distance.

 

 

************************************************************

 

 

She could’ve walked down this path with her eyes closed.  Her feet had carried her down this very journey for the past few years, but she’ll admit that for the past 6 months the gravelly pavement seemed a bit unfamiliar to her. There was usually a shadow next to hers, a hand tightly clasped in her own and feet walking in stride with hers.

 

It has been half a year, and Heehyun was still having trouble with this “being single” thing.

 

Or more like she was having trouble existing without Jung Chaeyeon.

 

She remembered that evening as if it happened a few minutes ago. She and Dani were sitting on the swings at their apartment complex’s playground when a pale-faced little girl came into view, dragging her feet and planting herself on one of the park benches before burying her face in her hands.

 

Worried, Dani had gotten up to check on the little girl and Heehyun could distinctively remember those red puffy eyes as they shifted between Dani who was trying to console her and Heehyun who sat uncaring from across the playground. Apparently the crying girl was two years younger than them and she had just moved into the apartment complex. She was crying because she missed her friends. Chaeyeon looked so small and fragile then, but Heehyun wasn’t one to care for someone whom she just met.

 

That was 5 years ago. Now Heehyun cared a little too much.

 

As she passed by an ice cream shop, she couldn’t stop her feet from entering the small shop, and she couldn’t stop from ordering the Flavour of The Month, which was Strawberry Cheesecake.

 

This shop never changed their Flavour of The Month. It has been a few years and it’s always been Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream, no matter what month they came. Heehyun thinks it must be some kind of marketing ploy, but it worked. At least it worked for Chaeyeon since that was her favourite flavor.

 

Heehyun didn’t even have any idea why she ordered it. She hated strawberries. Maybe she was getting a bit too caught up in reminiscing. Maybe she missed Chaeyeon a bit too much today. Maybe she missed how Chaeyeon would use aegyo to get her to buy the younger girl some ice cream, despite the fact that Heehyun hated aegyo with a passion.

 

Chaeyeon was an idol now. She was in a world of her own. She is up there amongst the stars and taking meteor showers, while Heehyun was stuck on the ground with…earthworms or something. She was never good at words.

 

A buzzing sound brought her back to reality, and she dug her hand into her jeans to retrieve the object.

 

Message from Dani:

Hey, I thought I told you not to stay out too late. Your mother called me again and she sounded worried like always. Hope you’re not doing anything dumb Hyun. Text me when you get back alright? :)

 

No she wasn’t doing anything dumb Dani, she was eating ice cream. Although eating ice cream and reminiscing about your ex does seem like a dumb thing to do. Also, why doesn’t her mother just call her straight away instead of calling Dani? Her phone is right here!

 

Sighing, Heehyun threw out her unfinished ice cream and began walking home again, ignoring the fact that the familiar road still felt foreign to her.

 

 

********************************************** 

 

“Unnie, can we stop here for a second?”

 

Heehyun turned around and watched as the girl who spoke earlier settled herself onto a vacant swing. It was 12am in the morning so they had the playground all to themselves.

 

“Sure Princess, anything you want.” Heehyun responded. She had no idea why her girlfriend had called her out to the playground this late but she’s done weirder things for Chaeyeon in the past. Hanging out in the slightly creepy and probably dangerous playground of their apartment in the wee hours of the morning is probably one of the tamer things she’s done.

 

Heehyun moved to sit on the swing next to Chaeyeon, and she watched as her girlfriend continued to stare at the ground. Knitted eyebrows marring Chaeyeon’s beautiful features as the younger girl looked like she was internally struggling with one hundred and one different problems.

 

“Is everything okay Chae? We shouldn’t be out this late. Your mother wouldn’t be happy and you probably have early practice again don’t you?”

 

“I needed to talk to you about something.”

 

“Okay. I’m all yours.” Heehyun wondered what this ‘something’ was and why it couldn’t have waited until the morning. Somehow though, she had a bad feeling about this.

 

“I’m sorry I haven’t been spending enough time with you unnie. Practice has been hard and you don’t deserve to settle with just texts.” Chaeyeon said with a meek voice. A voice so close to silent that had the park been even the tiniest bit less quiet Heehyun probably would have missed it.

 

“What? Is that what this is all about? Chae…Sweetie I understand. Your debut is coming up in a few weeks. I’m excited to cheer you on as your number one fan as well! It’s all cool.”

 

“About that….”

 

“Yeah? Are you excited?”

 

“I think…this can’t work out between us.”

 

Confusion and slight tinges of panic began to take over Heehyun’s features. What was going on? Chaeyeon couldn’t be….it wasn’t possible right?

 

“What? What do you mean? What exactly can’t work out?”

 

“This. Us. We’re just two separate people.”

 

“Yeah but that’s what makes us work right? You’re the kind hearted angel with the pure smile and I’m the slightly demented but mostly charming love of your life. That’s how it’s always been! Chaeyeon…what are you saying?”

 

Heehyun needed clarification. She didn’t want to make any assumptions although her girlfriend was making it plenty clear where the direction of the conversation was headed. Why was Chaeyeon still looking at the ground? Why wouldn’t she look into Heehyun’s eyes? Heehyun pleaded to every single being, mystical or not for Chaeyeon to not say the words that she wasn’t ready to hear.

 

“I’m saying that we should break up.”

 

Silence followed. She said it. She…she actually said it. Heehyun was familiar with the concept that words can kill someone, but she never gave much thought to the expression. It was probably created by an overdramatic poet or something of the like. Words couldn’t physically kill someone. But if that were true, why does it feel like Chaeyeon had just taken a serrated dagger and stabbed her through the heart with it?

 

“No.” defiance was all Heehyun could offer right now. There was no reason for her to accept the proposal of breaki—no. There was no way.

 

“Unnie—“ Chaeyeon began but was cut off halfway by an irate Heehyun.

 

“Don’t do this to me Jung Chaeyeon. This seems too real to be one of your jokes!” Heehyun had stood up now and moved to face her girlfriend who was still on the swing, still trying to avoid her gaze.

 

“I’m going to debut soon…I can’t be in a relationship. It could jeopardize my future.”

 

“I know a rehearsed line when I hear one Chaeyeon! Did your management put you up to this?!”

 

“No unnie. This was my decision. I need to secure a path for my future.”

 

“And is there no space for me in that future of yours?”

 

Heehyun wanted to search those eyes for any sign that this was a joke. A cruel joke that was taken too far, but the girl sitting on the swing in front of her still refused to look at her.

 

“I’m sorry unnie…”

 

“W-why are you apologizing?? Don’t apologize just…just don’t do this…”

 

Heehyun was at a lost for words. For some reason Chaeyeon had barely said that much but there was a voice in the back of her mind that knew she was partaking in a battle that she had no hopes of winning.

 

Her girlfriend was decisive. Heehyun knew that. They have been together for two years. Of course she knew that.

 

“What about the past two years? Are you going to throw all that away? What about everything we’ve done? Everything we’ve gone through? Every single memory??”

 

“I’m sorry unnie….”

 

“Don’t you love me anymore?”

 

It was Heehyun’s attempt at a low blow, because surely Chaeyeon still had feelings for her right? Things didn’t make sense. Nothing made sense. It was all so sudden. Why is her world coming apart like this? Why won’t Chaeyeon look at her?

 

“I’m sorry u-unnie…”

 

Her girlfriend’s voice broke, and the stuttering shoulders conveyed emotions that Heehyun knew without even seeing Chaeyeon’s face. Suddenly all anger and confusion disappeared because her precious angel was crying. Who was it? Who made Chaeyeon cry? Heehyun would never forgive the person who was responsible for such a dastardly act.

 

Was it Heehyun herself?

 

“Don’t cry. J-just please don’t…I-I’m sorry! I’ll be better! I can be your secret! Nobody has to know we’re in a relationship. Just please don’t cry baby…” Heehyun groveled onto her knees, lowering herself so that she could hold the smaller girl in a comforting embrace.

 

“I-I’m sorr—“

 

“STOP APOLOGIZING! Dammit just s-stop…” Heehyun couldn’t take the apologies, because that would mean that Chaeyeon had done something wrong. How could that have been possible? Chaeyeon made her the happiest girl in the world. What on earth was she apologizing for?

 

“Don’t you want to see me happy?”

 

Chaeyeon looked up as she asked this, and teary eyes met disbelieving ones. They say the eyes are the window to one’s soul, and in Chaeyeon’s eyes the older girl could see a bright light. It glimmered and shone in a way that was incomprehensible to Heehyun, and it struck her that she always knew everything about the girl in front of her. When did that change? Where did this unfamiliar light come from?

 

It was at that moment that Heehyun was sure that she had lost the one thing she held precious in life. How could Chaeyeon tear her heart into a million pieces, but still look like the absolute most beautiful thing Heehyun has ever seen?

 

“I-I do. Of course I do. But n-not like this.”

 

“I have to do this unnie. Being an idol is all I’ve ever wanted. Can’t you understand? I hate to choose as well…”

 

She couldn’t take it anymore. Heehyun’s body slumped forward and she buried her face into Chaeyeon’s lap as she finally came undone. Hot tears rolled down her cheeks and stained the dress that she was clutching onto so tightly, as if Chaeyeon would slip away into the night and disappear forever were she to let go. Heehyun never cried for anything, but here she was, bawling her eyes out and pleading, begging Chaeyeon not to leave.

 

 “I love you so much Jung Chaeyeon. I love you so freaking much. Please…”

 

Chayeon had never seen her unnie cry for as long as she could remember. Heehyun was always collected, calm and strong. Now the usually collected girl was crumbling to pieces in her lap and she started crying herself, knowing that she was the cause of this.

 

“Unnie…Please don’t cry…” Chaeyeon could only weakly ask in between her own sobs.

 

The pair stayed that way for a long time. Heehyun on her knees clutching at Chaeyeon and the latter gently her unnie’s hair to calm her down. Eventually Chaeyeon had to go, and Heehyun didn’t have any strength left in her fingers to hold on anymore.

 

So Chaeyeon stood up and left, and there was nothing Heehyun could do to stop her.

 

 

********************************************************* 

 

“Heehyun.”

 

“Heehyun wake up.”

 

“Heehyun you’re drooling on the table wake up please.”

 

It took a jab in the ribs with a ruler to cause Heehyun to snap awake. Frowning slightly at her seatmate for waking her up in such a manner, Heehyun rested her chin on the table and pretended to be paying attention to Mrs. Park talking about Math. Or was it History? Heehyun didn’t even know what class she was currently in.

 

“Had a nice sleep?”

 

Heehyun spared her seatmate a sideglance before sighing.

 

“Nope. Bad dreams.”

 

“I know. The question was rhetoric. You talk in your sleep.”

 

Heehyun blushed slightly but didn’t press the issue any further. If Dani knew what she was dreaming about, then she was sure there was going to be an onslaught of questions. She hadn’t dreamt about that night in awhile, but she’ll be lying if she said that a small part of her didn’t enjoy the dream, just because she could see Chaeyeon again. The precious Chaeyeon that she knew who lived in MBK Apartments with her and Dani, and not the unfamiliar Jung Chaeyeon, visual of DIA and coveted by the nation.

 

“Wait for me at the gate after school?” Dani asked with a slight hint of hope in her voice, and Heehyun smiled slightly. It’s been awhile since she spent time with her best friend. She’s just been a bit too preoccupied with schoolwork and her own mess of a head lately.

 

“Yeah. Sure thing.”

 

 

**********************************************************************

 

Heehyun found it slightly odd that she finished her classes before Dani did. Usually it was Dani waiting for her at the school’s entrance, but the other girl seemed to be running slightly late today.

 

Sure enough, she heard her name being called and she turned to see her friend skipping towards her, schoolbag and all. For someone so tall, Dani could be adorable at times.

 

“So, where are we going?” Heehyun asked as soon as the smiley Dani came to a stop next to her. Heehyun absentmindedly reached out to fix Dani’s hair that became messed up due to the excessive skipping.

 

“Well, I was thinking the amusement park.” Dani chirped as she whipped two tickets out of thin air. Heehyun wasn’t aware that Dani was capable of performing magic tricks.

 

“What? All of a sudden? What’s the occasion?” The shorter girl stared at the tickets being held up with an eyebrow raised, thinking she missed a birthday or something.

 

“You just seemed a bit sad lately, so I wanted to cheer you up.”

 

Heehyun’s expression immediately softened and she suddenly felt like enveloping her best friend in the world’s tightest hug. The kind of hug that could turn coal into diamond. She had been neglecting Dani lately, but her best friend still managed to notice that Heehyun wasn’t quite herself.

 

“Dani…you didn’t have to… Doughnuts make me happy too you know. And it’s a lot cheaper than tickets to the amusement park.” Heehyun didn’t know how to properly express her guilt, but it appears as if Dani wouldn’t have any of it.

 

“Relax! The tickets are free anyways. I won them in one of those charity raffles. Well, actually only the Ferris Wheel is free, but we can ride it as much as we want.”

 

“How many times do you suppose we can ride a Ferris Wheel before we get bored? We’ve lived in this town all our lives. There’s nothing we can see up there that we haven’t seen already.”

 

“Just humour me would you? The tickets expire today and I have nobody else to go with. Besides, the sunset is beautiful from up there.”

 

Heehyun doubted that. But Dani looked so sure of herself and this sunset of hers, that Heehyun chose to go along with it as well.

 

“Well, it better be.” Heehyun begrudgingly agreed, but she couldn’t contain her smile as Dani literally punched the air in joy. Seeing how excited Dani was, she’s glad she didn’t say no.

 

 

******************************************************************** 

 

The Ferris Wheel wasn’t all that tall, which was understandable because there was no reason for their small, no name town in the middle of nowhere to even have a large Ferris Wheel. There was literally nothing to see. On the contrary, maybe if they built the Ferris Wheel high enough they might be able to get a glimpse of Bucheon City several kilometres away, and Bucheon was decidedly a lot more exciting than their town. Their town’s geographical location might as well be described as “Bucheon, but slightly to the left.”

 

Maybe this was the reason why Chaeyeon wanted to be an idol so much. Any excuse to leave this sorry excuse of a town. She hasn’t even made it big yet and Heehyun could already safely say that Chaeyeon was the pride of the neighborhood just by debuting. Heehyun wondered if “Bucheon, but slightly to the left” is written somewhere in the idol’s Naver profile.

 

“You know, it’s kinda rude to be thinking of other girls when you’re stuck in the sky with me. Am I not pretty enough to warrant your attention or something?”

 

Heehyun turned to face the voice and she could only smile guiltily after being caught red handed. She didn’t even try to deny it. Dani always knew the truth anyways.

 

“Sorry. It’s just… She’s everywhere nowadays.”

 

“Well, she should be. She didn’t train that hard to just be a nobody you know?”

 

Heehyun smiled at that retort, and turned her attention back out of their cabin. They weren’t that far off the ground yet, and the sights that she saw looked familiar. So familiar she could probably draw a map to every single alley.

 

“I don’t think she’ll ever be a nobody at anything. She’s like, that girl who you just assume can do anything.”

 

“And how bout you Hyun?”

 

“What about me?”

 

“Aren’t you sick of this town too? Don’t you feel suffocated as well?”

 

Heehyun contemplated the question before answering. She’s never been asked that before really.

 

“Nah. I like it here. I like familiar things. I don’t have any of those big city dreams.”

 

Dani nodded, and the questions paused. They sat in silence in the small cabin of the Ferris Wheel, but it wasn’t uncomfortable or suffocating. It was peaceful, and Heehyun actually felt relaxed. As the cabin she shared with Dani rose higher, it was almost as if Heehyun had left her worries on the ground.

 

“Oh wow, the sun is starting to set.” Heehyun commented as the sky started to gain an orangey tint to it. She didn’t realize it was that late in the day, but to be fair they did come to the park after a day of school.

 

“Y’know, I was kinda hoping you were afraid of heights. That would’ve added a much needed element of excitement to this ride.”

 

“Pfft. Me? Dani I ain’t afraid of anything.”

 

“Oh yeah? Remember how I had to save you from that pigeon because you said it was ‘looking at you funny’?”

 

“Dude pigeons are creepy. They stare at you while tilting their heads as if they are contemplating and planning the perfect crime or something. They’re up to no good.”

 

“Pigeons are up to no good.” Dani repeated, trying her hardest not to laugh.

 

“Yeah. You heard that here first. If a pigeon messes up your day, remember the words of wisdom that just came out of my mouth.”

 

“You’re so stupid.”

 

“I don’t find that insulting one bit.”

 

Heehyun smiled to herself as she stared out the glass window. She loved how their banter seemed to effortlessly roll off each other, something that she didn’t realize she missed.

 

“You know what? You can have this one. I’ll admit, the sunset is kinda pretty.” Heehyun commented as the orange glow washed over their town underneath. All presumptions she had earlier was proven wrong, because the way the town seemed to glow as the sun disappeared over the horizon was an unfamiliar sight, and the normally dead streets seemed to come alive in a new hue. It was…beautiful.

 

“Yeah. It’s beautiful isn’t it?” Of course Dani could read her mind.

 

“Not to sound all mushy and sentimental, but yeah. What I’m looking at right now is amazingly beautiful.”

 

“Breathtakingly gorgeous.”

 

Heehyun paused and the answer she had ready on the tip of her tongue never left. ‘Breathtakingly gorgeous’ didn’t seem like a phrase you would use to describe a town, it was more like a phrase you would use to describe a person.

 

And sure enough as Heehyun turned around to ask Dani what she meant, she found that Dani was leaning back on the seat, eyes staring straight at her, and not at the disappearing sun outside the window. Dani was looking at her in a way that she wasn’t used to, and it made her shiver. Brown eyes were locked onto Heehyun’s green ones and the shorter girl felt exposed suddenly, although she wasn’t sure why.

 

With the sunset glow washing over her, Dani looked positively divine, and Heehyun had to shake her head because what was she thinking this is Dani she was currently ogling.

 

“Hey Heehyun?”

 

“Y-yeah?” Why was Heehyun stuttering? And she could swear that she was blushing. She managed to tear her eyes away from Dani’s alluring ones and that seemed to break the spell temporarily, although she was suddenly hyper-aware of how small the cabin was and how close they were sitting.

 

“It’s been half a year. Have you ever thought of dating again?”

 

“Honestly, the thought has crossed my mind. I just haven’t met the right one. Any recommendations?” Heehyun asked as a joke, trying her hardest to shake away these weird thoughts she was having.

 

“Well, your personality is kinda brash and you can be annoying to talk to when you’re in your moods. You’re rude, immature, sometimes bordering on abrasive and you smoke like a chimney. It’s hard to find someone that can put up with all that.”

 

“Wow. Okay. What was that, a 6-Hit combo? That succeeded in making me feel insulted.”

 

“I’m willing to try though.”

 

Wait. WHAT. Did her ears fail her? Because Heehyun swore her brain started failing her about 9 years ago and her body seemed to ache more as the years go by she did not need her ears going as well.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“Me. I recommend me.”

 

Okay. First Dani showcased her magic skills with the tickets earlier. Now Heehyun swore the taller girl knew how to teleport because Dani was suddenly right in front of her, wrapping her arms around Heehyun’s neck and bearing closer.

 

Before Heehyun could even register a retort, Dani had leaned in and pressed her deliciously delicate lips against her own. Dani was kissing her. Dani. Heehyun’s childhood friend. Her best friend. The girl that knew everything about her. The very same girl who she did her 5th Grade Bottle Rocket project with. Kim Danielle was kissing her.

 

 Heehyun did not know why she wasn’t pulling away. The arms around her neck were lax enough to allow her to pull away if she wanted to, but she just couldn’t do it. Heehyun stayed motionless and confused as those amazingly soft lips left hers, and those brown orbs locked onto her green ones again.

 

“I’ve always liked you Ki Heehyun. Go out with me.”

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello! 

Well, originally I wanted to finish writing the whole story first before posting up the first chapter, but I decided to post this up anyways to get a feel of the response. This fic was kinda impromptu and the idea came outa nowhere during a long flight while listening to The Killers.

I mentioned Bucheon because I've never been to South Korea and when I googled a list of Cities in Korea, Bucheon seemed familiar cause I heard it being mentioned once in EatYourKimchi

Age! So in this fic Dani is the same age as Heehyun, whereas Chaeyeon is the same age as Somi, which is how Somi knows Heehyun. I know Dani is the youngest of the MBK trio in real life, but I wanted to work with a dynamic where Chaeyeon is the only one younger between the three. I don't know. It was a weird choice.

I'm not adding a lot of people into this fic because I have a napink fic where I included all 11 members and it was a nightmare to write! This fic will most probably not have as many people as that. I added a lot of Yeonjung cause I like her. I have no idea why I added Sejeong inside tho. I didn't even realise I added Sejeong inside until I proofread this about 5 minutes ago. Needless to say Sejeong probably won't play that big a role in this story.

Please comment your thoughts and opinions on this fic because I'm wondering if I should go through with this randomness! Upvote if you like it, Subscribe if you want more. Thanks for reading!!!