Final

Sailing

"Do you remember this place? It was where we first met." You walk into a cafe casually, placing an order for 'the usual' with the cashier. You take a seat at the counter and idly scroll through your messages as you wait. "You spilled your coffee on my white shirt - what a cliche. But you were so flustered and sweet about it, it fascinated me and I really wanted to get to know you more." Just then, your order is done and you get up to collect it before leaving the cafe.

 

***

 

The next stop is the mall. "This was where we met each other for the second time, it was such a coincidence. We were both surprised to see each other again, but now that I think about it I was really happy to see you again. I guess somewhere deep inside me I had already begun to like you?" You wander around aimlessly, finally coming to a stop outside a Pandora store. "When we celebrated our first Valentine's together, you bought a charm bracelet for me here. I was mad that you spent so much money when it wasn't even that special of an occasion, but I was touched that you would do such a thing for me." You continue walking, this time with a destination in mind - Build A Bear.

 

"We made each other a bear for our first anniversary without discussing, do you remember? I laughed so hard after I saw your gift to me, and you looked confused until I passed you your present, then you were laughing just as hard as I was."

 

***

 

Time had flown, it was already almost 2.30pm. You decided to grab a quick lunch before proceeding on to the next place you had planned to go to. "This park... We used to come to this place on dates all the time. Even when I had exams and I was tired from studying, we'd still meet up here. I always felt safe around you, but I felt especially safe here with you, it never seemed like anything bad could happen." You sat under a tree - your tree, and read and people-watched for a few peaceful hours.

 

The sun slowly began to set. It was almost time for the last place, but before that you went to a street food stall the both of you frequented and ate dinner. The stall was a short distance away from the beach, so you walked slowly, your mind full of memories.

 

By the time you'd reached the beach, the sun had already set, and you were welcomed by the dark sky and the sound of waves crashing against the shore. It was cold, but not so cold that it was unbearable. You took a deep breath, "And this... This was the place I lost you."

 

The temperature seems to drop a few more degrees, the waves seem to be slightly louder than a few minutes ago, the whole world appears to be slightly off. But you continue to speak, even as you feel the familiar sting of tears about to fall from your eyes. "It was so unfair. Everyone was shocked; you should have seen the newspaper headlines and all the texts I got from our friends and extended family. Nobody could believe it really, even I couldn't accept it at first. After all, you were such a good swimmer, what were the chances that you would get into an accident while swimming? But you got that cramp and you couldn't even get help because you were too far from the shore to be noticed..."

 

"I've felt lost without you. If you were here you'd probably laugh and say that I'm being dramatic, but that's how I feel. You balanced me out so well, always calm even when I was near hysterical, and you were the only one who was able to calm me down. It almost seemed impossible that I would meet someone like you - my other, better half, but I did and I don't think I ever got to tell you just how much I appreciated you until you were gone." You've run out of words, and you let the tears flow freely as you slowly kneel on the sand, praying for a lost love to return to you.

 

The previously still air suddenly comes to life, as a wind caresses your tear-stained face almost comfortingly. You stay still and breathe in the sea air for a few moments, trying to calm down. It doesn't work completely, but after five minutes or so your tears have almost dried. You get up quietly and prepare to leave. It's late and you don't want to go, but everyone's been worrying about you and you know it won't do anyone any good if they find out you went to the beach alone.

 

You walk away, turning back to look at the sea a few times. It's always intrigued you, how it's the home of so many different types of fish and sea animals, and now it's his home too. One day soon, you'll be back, but before then you're somewhat content to just keep your memories of him close to you and try to let go.