Goodbye...

Goodbye...

 

Lee Taemin deserves to be with someone who makes him happy. Somebody who doesn’t complicate his life. Somebody who won’t hurt him. Like everybody else, he needs someone to love him with all their heart.
 
He walked on the street so ever lonely, bobbing his head lightly with the tune of the music. The cold winter breeze reminded him of the upcoming holiday—Christmas. It reminded him of how he would spend it lonely, unlike his friends with their girlfriends. 
 
Until he saw his classmate Im Yoona on the streets. Yoona was a typical girl with a mind of her own, always ready to face any challenge with all her power. She doesn’t give up on anything and she’s always there for the people she loves. She can’t bear seeing anyone lonely. 
 
“Taemin?” She called softly, waving her hand in the air. Taemin didn’t seem to see her as he kept walking ahead, until Yoona put both of her hands on her shoulder and stared at him with wide eyes. “Yah! You!” 
 
“AH!” Taemin screamed in shock. 
 
“Why are you alone? I thought you told your friends that you were going to hang out with people from your dance club.” Yoona implied as she waved to her group of friends, telling them that she will catch up to them later.
 
“I lied.” 
 
“Why?” She questioned.
 
“I don’t want them to worry about me being left alone. I want them to be able to enjoy their private time with their girlfriends. It wouldn’t seem right if I always nagged him to hang out with me so I lied.” Taemin replied simply. 
 
“And are you glad you lied?” She looked at him.
 
“Not really. As much as I don’t want to take much my friends’ time, I still hate being left alone…Saying goodbye to my friends hurt. Especially since I know that the goodbyes they tell me will come one after another. Am I too sensitive? Never mind what I said, you’ll think I’m disgusting for being so girly.” He buried his face inside his palms. It wasn’t after a long time that Yoona noticed he was crying.
 
“Hey…Don’t cry.” Yoona felt bad immediately. After all, she was the one who asked him those sensitive questions. “…I like to hear other people’s problems and stories so don’t worry about anything, just open your heart and spill everything out to me. I’ll see what I can do to help.”
 
“How can I trust you?” He said through muffled weeps.
 
“I’ll tell you a secret; I also hate being left alone, left out of things. That’s why I put on a smile everywhere, or else…who would socialize with an unhappy girl? Putting on a smile can change everything so don’t you dare think I’m always popular and happy that lives a fabulous life with everything I need. I have my circumstances, now the real catch is how you’ll face it. Smiling will let you face almost everything. I hate goodbyes and departures just like you. Although I haven’t faced anything bad, but…How to say this...Doesn’t everybody feel the same about being left out? Being left out or leaving…they are tragic aren’t they?” Yoona chuckled lightly, rubbing the back of her head. “It seems like I didn’t help at all with my blabbering.” 
 
“No.” Taemin denied.
 
“Really? That’s good.” Yoona smiled at him. Taemin finally understood what it feels like being infected by Yoona’s smile. Smiles are contagious. He simply shook his head and smiled back. 
 
-
“Nowadays it’s hard to find a good person. It’s hard to find a person to talk to. Someone who will just listen and not judge you, someone who will just take you as who you are.” Taemin told Yoona as they sat in the library, studying while chatting.
 
Ever since the unexpected encounter on the streets a few weeks ago, they have been chatting quite a lot. About their view of life, the way they think of how a person’s mind works and etc. They always have something to talk about. And without Taemin noticing, he was slowly falling for Yoona. Her personality, her smile, her encouragements, her everything. Spending time with another can sure make a person see life differently and feel a new power burning inside their heart. 
 
He decided to confess, on Christmas Eve. He was eager to let Yoona know his feelings. Taemin was really confident about this. He has never been this confident before, he just knows that, Yoona will definitely accept him. After all the time they spent together, all the things they chatted about and all the endless secrets! He was hopelessly in love. 
 
Today was the day before Christmas Eve.
 
“I agree.” Yoona nodded her head heartlessly. 
 
“They say that people’s hearts are proportional. The more it passes, the more they grow apart.” Taemin continued to talk about what was on his mind.
 
“Yup…” Yoona replied heartlessly once again. She rests her head on her hands as she leaned on the desk. 
 
“What’s wrong Yoona?” He finally noticed her change of attitude. He looked at her curiously; slightly annoyed that she wasn’t paying attention when he was talking with his heart. She replied him with a sad smile filled with sorrow.
 
“He’s getting married.” Yoona sighed.
 
“Who?” 
 
“Do you think you can keep this secret?” She asked.
 
“Of course.”
 
“Well, okay…I’m in love with my sister’s boyfriend. Yet…they are getting married on New Year.” Yoona sighed again.
 
“…” Taemin gave her a sad smile, in return for the one she gave her. He felt hurt, worse than saying goodbye, worse than anything.
 
Just when he thought he found someone perfect, he couldn’t help but feel bad for himself. How come he never knew she was in love? 
 
Just then, a beep came from Yoona’s cell phone. She looked at it and saw a text message. She smiled when she saw the text. 
 
“It’s him.” Yoona squealed. 
 
“What does it say?” 
 
“It says that he wants to meet me, now.” She replied as she looked at Taemin with pleading eyes. “Can I?” 
 
“Sure. I’ll be fine.” Taemin encouraged. 
 
“How do I look, Taemin?” She brushed her hair.
 
“Perfect. You’re really pretty today.” He said softly. The things he all said were all true. She was really beautiful. 
 
“Nwah, don’t be so bum. I’ll repay you for this. Goodbye!” She patted his head before grabbing her things and running to the door. 
 
“Goodbye…” He muttered. 
 
He was sure that he would never love again, if it hurts this much. Love will always complicate his life, always hurt him and the word goodbye…Would always echo inside his mind. 
 
Friends won’t leave, but love does. Taemin was distraught at how stupid he was. She was his friend; she was preventing him to be alone. She didn’t mean to hurt him. But he was still hurt…Goodbye love. He whispers. 
 
END