1/1

My Tall Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Mingyu was known to be tall. He was known to tower others and to even trip over his long limbs, eventually dubbing him by others as one of the clumsiest buffoon in existence. He occasionally scared others as he came off as intimidating and most people disliked standing next to him in fear of looking inferior with the boy.

Mingyu didn’t start off this way in the beginning. During his younger years he had been the same height as others until his height matured quite faster than the other kids his age. Of course there were times when his height was useful like during physical education when people would fight over who gets to have Mingyu on their basketball team.

His height brought many advantages during sports like blocking basketball shots, or kicking the soccer ball really far but all resulted in whichever opponent team whining that the only reason his team won was because he was too tall to play with.

In classes, Mingyu was always placed in the back of the room as he was capable to block other students’ view of the board if he were to ever be in the front of the room.

The back of the room was lonely. No one really noticed him unless directly made contact with. He was always the last to leave the room during dismissal, and the last to ever have group partners.

All of this made Mingyu hate his height, how he hated to suffer from his appearance for the rest of his life.

“Mommy, is there a way I can become short?” Six year old Mingyu had once asked.

“Hm? Why’s that, honey?”

“Because I want to be like everyone else. I don’t want to be tall.” He said. “Nobody wants to be friends with me because I’m too tall…”

“Honey, don’t worry. Being tall isn’t bad. Look at all the basketball players, and the handsome models and actors.”

Mingyu frowned. He didn’t like being tall. He didn’t like being called ‘FrankenGyu’ or ‘Loch Min Monster’ or ‘Gyuzilla’. He just wanted to be Mingyu.

Everyone made him feel like an outcast. Like he didn’t belong with anyone just because he could see the crown of their heads. Everyone treated him like a buffoon.

Everyone but one person.

 

Mingyu met Jeon Wonwoo in the beginning of eighth grade. He was placed in the back with Mingyu after a shortage of seats on the day he had transferred into the class. Wonwoo was around a head shorter than Mingyu. He was taller than the rest, but still shorter than Mingyu.

“Can you get that book for me?” Wonwoo had asked Mingyu when he pointed to the book on the very top of the library shelf. Mingyu had hesitated at first but his body moved on its own and easily swiped the book for the other. “Thanks. I wouldn’t have gotten that myself.”

Mingyu blinked. “Uh, no problem.”

They were paired up together for the science project as Mingyu had been picked by Wonwoo to be his partner. Mingyu would be lying if he said he didn’t feel his heart jump when the teacher had told him Wonwoo had requested him to be his partner.

“Why me?” Mingyu asked. “I’m super clumsy and I can’t do much without breaking anything.”

Wonwoo shrugged. “You were the first person I thought of. You sat next to me and the other students are super annoying.” He said nonchalantly with his dark orbs glued to the science project. “Besides, you’re tall. So I thought you’d be perfect for this project.”

“Me? Perfect? How?”

 

Mingyu and Wonwoo scored a clean perfect hundred on the science project. Wonwoo had picked the topic of physics where he put Mingyu in charge of using his long arms and height to drop objects down in the air to figure out solutions like how much pressure a basketball can hold, or the velocity of a feather falling, or stuffing an egg around tissues and cushions to prevent it from cracking at the speed drop.

Another group had the same topic but they were not as tall enough to calculate the results into an exact solution.

“We wouldn’t have gotten a hundred if you weren’t tall enough.” Wonwoo said, smiling at Mingyu and the taller felt his face heat up. “I wish I was as tall as you, my tall friend.”

Mingyu smiled. “Thank you.”

 

Freshman year of highschool was when Mingyu joined the basketball team. He and Wonwoo had attended the same school, Seventeen High, and if it weren’t for Wonwoo’s constant encouragement for Mingyu to join the basketball team, the said boy wouldn’t have been one of the most popular students in the school.

“Come on, you don’t know if you don’t try.” Wonwoo said while he unpacked his books into his locker. “You’re super tall and fast. You could just touch the backboard on your tippytoes.”

Mingyu shifted in his uniform. “I don’t know. Last time when I played basketball everyone always told me the only reason I win is because I’m tall and that’s it.”

“That was physical education when you were six.” Wonwoo shut his locker and leaned his shoulder against it. “Just go to the tryouts. Even if you don’t get in, it’s fine. But in all honesty, I definitely think you’d get in. You’ll be like the ace or captain or leader or whatever the term is. I don’t know anything about basketball.”

“Why don’t you join? You’re tall too.”

Wonwoo rolled his eyes. “I’m not athletic. I hate running. I’d rather read books than to play basketball.”

Mingyu was silent for a moment. “You really think I should tryout?” He asked and there was a sigh from Wonwoo.

“Listen.” Wonwoo said. He reached to fix Mingyu’s collar and brush away the black bangs out of the taller’s eyes. “You’re like perfect for basketball. And if you get in and win every single game you’d be one of the most popular kids here, my tall friend.” He said and smiled.

Mingyu smiled back. “Alright. I’ll try out.” He said. “If I get in, would you come to my basketball games?”

Wonwoo laughed. “Of course. I’ll be like your lucky charm.”

 

Sophomore year Mingyu became the ace and captain of the basketball team. He was always surrounded by his team and groups of friends but he never missed a chance to confront Wonwoo to ask if he was able to walk home together.

“You sure your friends won’t get jealous?” Wonwoo teased with a foxy smile as he shut his locker. He tightened his grip of the books in his hand laughed at one of Mingyu’s numerous dumb jokes. “You’re so dumb.” Wonwoo said, his head falling down onto Mingyu’s shoulder as the taller walked him to class and Mingyu really liked how Wonwoo matched onto his shoulder height so perfectly. “I got to go to class. I’ll see you at lunch you tall freak.”

Mingyu smiled and waved Wonwoo goodbye before catching up with his basketball team. “Who’s that, your boyfriend?” Seungcheol the senior captain teased and Mingyu laughed but didn’t miss the heat in his cheeks.

“No, no, just a friend.”

During lunch Mingyu easily spotted Wonwoo through the heads of the many high school students. He made his way over to the other and sat down across from Wonwoo.

“Studying again? Such a bookworm.” Mingyu said and Wonwoo wrinkled his nose at the statement and Mingyu always found that adorable.

“Shut up. I forgot to study for my physics exam because I went to your dumb basketball game.” Wonwoo said laughing and Mingyu laughed back, stealing one of Wonwoo’s fries. “The ace makes the winning shot at the end of the game. Congrats idiot.”

Mingyu smirked. “Ah, it’s nothing. I love all my adoring fans.” He said earning a flying fry at him. “And of course you being my lucky charm.”

“Shut up.” Wonwoo laughed. “I need to study for physics.”

“What’s so hard about physics? Drop a basketball and boom you’re done.”

Wonwoo scoffed. “It’s not that easy anymore.” He said as he flipped the page of his textbook. “Are we still walking home together? I’ve been craving cheeseburgers lately.”

“Yeah of course. Anything for you.”

“You’re paying.”

“Wait what?”

Wonwoo smiled and rested his elbows on the table, leaning into the taller. “You deserve to buy me a cheeseburger after dragging me to your basketball game.”

“Alright, alright. I’ll buy you cheeseburgers.”

Wonwoo smiled. He was about to speak again until Seungcheol interrupted, putting an arm on Mingyu’s shoulder. “Hey there tall champ, still up for Jeonghan’s party after school? You said you’d go.”

Mingyu blinked and stuttered. He gave Wonwoo a look who turned back to his book. “I, uh…”

“It’s alright.” Wonwoo’s soft voice broke out. “We can get cheeseburgers some other time.” He said and Mingyu swallowed.

“Yeah Seungcheol hyung I’ll be there.”

 

Junior year was when things started to get distant. Mingyu grew to six feet, becoming one of the tallest students in the school. He walked around proud and bright with everyone always chasing after his tail.

He scored the winning shot of the basketball championship game, earning the title of one of the best basketball player known to the school’s history.

People wanted pictures and autographs and gave love letters and gifts. Mingyu enjoyed the popularity. He enjoyed how tall he was to see people underneath him.

But things weren’t the same anymore. He saw Wonwoo less and less in the halls and hardly had the time to meet up with the other.

“I can’t go.” Mingyu said to Wonwoo. “Seungcheol and Jeonghan hyung invited me to one of their college parties. Maybe next time.”

Wonwoo smiled. “Nah, it’s fine. Have fun with the party. And be careful of the alcohol.”

Mingyu nodded blankly. “Alright I’ll see you later then.” And with that he walked pass Wonwoo, not being able to see the other’s disappointed expression from his height.

It went on. Mingyu hadn’t counted the many times Wonwoo walked home alone without the former. He hadn’t counted the times he didn’t notice Wonwoo cheering for him at his basketball games.

It didn’t help when Mingyu had started dating star cheerleader Sana. She was everything cute and bubbly and sweet and kind and nice.

“Isn’t oppa so tall?” Sana giggled to Wonwoo when Mingyu had met up with him in the halls. “We’re going to watch a movie later.” She smiled that cute smile of hers as she rested her head onto Mingyu’s bicep.

Wonwoo looked up at Mingyu, a blank expression on both their faces. “Oh. Well it’s okay. We’ll just walk home together tomorrow I guess. I’ll see you later then, Gyu. Sana, take care of this tall clumsy friend of mine.” He said and Sana nodded with a smile before leaving the other.

Tomorrow came and Mingyu could see Wonwoo waiting at the front entrance. The latter was leaning against the school gate, his hands tight onto his bag. “Ready?” Mingyu asked and he startled Wonwoo, who nodded.

“Haven’t walked together in a while.” Wonwoo said as they strolled side by side. He looked up at Mingyu who was busy staring at his phone. “Who are you talking to?”

“Seungcheol hyung.” Mingyu answered. “I’m meeting up with him and Jeonghan hyung and the rest of the team tomorrow.”

Wonwoo s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter