Chapter 5 - Ten Years Ago

The Bubbles of Clams / 蜆の泡

Semi’s POV

 

The next day, I left Shijimi at home and went out alone to Iwanishi’s apartment to collect my earnings.

 

“Ah Semi, you’re here. How was your date yesterday?”

 

“Shut up Iwanishi. I am not obligated to tell you anything about my private life right?”

 

“Okok, you want to protect your girlfriend right? I understand totally.” Iwanishi came up to me and patted my shoulders.

 

“Tsk, move your hands away.”

 

“Huh, you're treating me so cold after getting a girlfriend? Did you forget I’m your dearest partner?”

 

This Iwanishi sure is pissing me off,

 

“I said…”

 

“Hi, how may I help you?”

 

Iwanishi cut off me before I was able to complete my sentence. He was looking towards the door, I think he has another guest.

 

Being curious, I turned to take a look as well,

 

………….

 

“Shijimi…? Why are you here…?”

 

What? Why is Shijimi here?

 

But Shijimi looks like she didn’t hear me caling her, she weren't looking at me either, but she had her eyes glued to Iwanishi.

 

Does she know him?

 

Wait…

 

She looks weird…

 

“Shijimi!!”

 

I shouted again but there was still no respond from Shijimi.

 

I was going to walk up to her but she started running towards Iwanishi.

 

What is she doing…?

 

Ah! She’s pointing a knife towards Iwanishi!!!

 

“Shijimi!!”

 

I managed to catch hold of her body in time before she stabs Iwanishi.

 

“Ahhh! Semi! Who’s this?!?!” Iwanishi looks frightened by what just happened.

 

“Semi, let me go!! I need to kill this guy…!!” Shijimi sounded different from her usual self.

 

“At least tell me why first.” What grudges does she have against Iwanishi?

 

“He’s the one… he’s the one who brought me to that bastard…”

 

“Hah!?!?!”

 

What? Was Iwanishi the agent for the deal between Shijimi’s parents and the guy I’ve just killed?

 

“What are you talking about, Lady, I don't recognise you… wait… you look familiar…” Iwanishi seems like he has just recalled something.

 

“Iwanishi, you did human trafficking ten years ago?”

 

“...... yes, I did, but I only did it once… I helped a couple sell their twelve year old girl to a guy… Don't tell me, you’re that girl?!?!”

 

“Thanks to you, I was kept in there for ten years.”

 

“How did you manage to get out?! Ah! The guy who has just been killed by Semi... He was that guy ten years ago?!?! No wonder I found his face familiar when I first received the job…”

 

I was in shock upon hearing the conversation between Iwanishi and Shijimi. What the ? The world is really small.

 

While I’m still in a messy state of mind, Shijimi tried to get out of my arms and wanted to pick up the knife on the floor.

 

“Shijimi!” I caught her body again and her knife swifted past my arm and left a cut on it.

 

“Ah! Semi, I’m sorry!!” Shijimi threw the knife away and looked at my wounds.

 

“I’m fine, calm down for now first, alright? I’m not defending Iwanishi, but your parents are the one who approached him right? He has fault, but it's not totally his fault. Even if he doesn't do it, your parents would be finding other agents, isn't it?”

 

“............”

 

“Semi, you found her in the apartment that day?” Iwanishi asked me.

 

“Yeah, what's wrong?”

 

“Why didn't you kill her? You're supposed to leave no one alive isn't it?”

 

“I……”

 

, I can't tell Iwanishi that I am unable to kill Shijimi.

 

“Forget it, kill her now. Leaving her alive would only bring troubles to us.”

 

“Semi, it’s fine, you can take my life…” Shijimi was looking at me with her pair of innocent eyes again.

 

I picked up the knife on the floor, and my blade was reaching for Shijimi’s neck…

 

……...…..

 

Even though my blade was on Shijimi’s neck, it just stopped right before I could cut her.

 

, I really can't do it.

 

What is happening with me?

 

“Semi! What are you waiting for?!?! You can't kill her?!?!” It was Iwanishi again. Crap! He is ing irritating!!

 

I was about to put down my blade but Shijimi grabbed my hands.

 

What…?

 

“Thank you Semi, I won't forget your help. Goodbye…” Shijimi smiled at me, she sounded like she was speaking the last words of her life…

 

What…

 

Don't tell me……!!

 

Shijimi moved herself towards the blade, the blade was cutting into the skin on her neck, blood was flowing down in seconds.

 

“WAIT!!! SHIJIMI!!!” I quickly withdrew my blade and pushed Shijimi away.

 

But it was too late, the cut on her neck was deep!!!

 

!!!

 

No way!!! I can't let her die!!!

 

“Shijimi!! Hang on!!! Iwanishi!! Get the first aid kit here!!!  Quick!!!”

 

“Semi, just let her be…”

 

“IWANISHI, IF YOU DON'T DO WHAT I SAY I’M GOING TO KILL YOU AS WELL.” I wasn't joking, I’m panicking, I can't let Shijimi die.

 

“!! Semi, you owe me an explanation later on!”

 

I quickly helped to stop the blood flowing out from Shijimi’s neck. But she has already lost a lot blood.

 

“Shijimi! Wake up!!” I tried calling out to her but there was no reaction…

 

.

 

“Shijimi! I said your life is under my control right? I haven't given you the permission to die yet!”

 

Crap, I’m panicking again!!!

 

*RINGSSSSSSSSS*

 

“AHHHH!!!”

 

!! MY EAR IS…

 

“Se… mi…”

 

Shijimi…?

 

I opened my eyes, and saw that Shijimi is awake…

 

Her hand was on my ear, caressing it gently…

 

I could hear no more ringing in my ear…

 

“Shijimi…” My hands went up to caress her pale-looking face…

 

“Semi, are you alright…?” Shijimi’s hand was still on my left ear.

 

I think her hands has magical powers, she always can stop the ringings in my ear...

 

“I’m fine… How about you? Do you feel pain?”

 

I realised I was being very concerned about her.

 

“Semi, I’m fine… AH!” Shijimi started frowning.

 

I saw Shijimi’s hands pressing on her side waist, I placed my hands on top of hers,

 

“Shijimi! What happened? Are you feeling pain from here?”

 

“Hm…!” Shijimi nodded her head.

 

I moved her hands away and pulled up her shirt…

 

! WHAT IS THIS?!?!

 

There was a huge scar on her side waist which was badly sewn, mucus and blood started flowing out from the openings.

 

Did I exerted too much force on her when I grabbed her just now which caused the sewing to tear...?

 

Even so… what is this scar???

 

“Semi… It’s very painful…” Uncontrollably, tears started flowing down Shijimi’s eyes, she is probably very suffering.

 

“Hang on! I’ll bring you to a doctor!”

 

I carried Shijimi up, but Iwanishi stopped me,

 

“Iwanishi, I said…”

 

“You can’t bring her to the hospital right? Get on my car, I’ll bring you to a friend of mine who is a doctor.” Iwanishi offered his help.

 

“Thanks, Iwanishi.”

 

Iwanishi drove us to his friend’s place and his friend started treating Shijimi’s wounds.

 

…………………………..

 

While waiting, I sat outside of the room with Iwanishi.

 

“Semi, can you explain to me what is happening?”

 

“............. Iwanishi…… I would love to, but I don’t even know myself what is happening. You know of me as a ruthless killer right? I can kill anyone, from the young to the old, from men to women, anyone, I could kill anyone… But…”

 

“But you can’t kill this lady?”

 

“............ That’s right...… I’ve tried a couple of times, but I just can’t, my hands just won’t listen to me… And...”

 

“And…?”

 

“You know of my ear problem right? It’s weird, whenever my ear starts ringing, it’ll stop if she touches it… It’s not my illusion, it has taken place for four times already…”

 

“Semi… Consider me a busybody, but it wouldn’t be good for you if you get too close to her. You don’t really know much of her yet, right? Plus, maybe she’s just using you to gain sympathy for her, and…”

 

“SHUT UP IWANISHI!!! Have you not seen what happened to her? Have you not seen that pair of eyes?!?! Do you think she’s lying or whatsoever?? Who caused her to be in this state? And, don’t worry for me, whether she lives or die, it’s up to me.”

 

“.......... Up to you. I’m not bothering you anymore.”

 

CRAP. Why am I so defensive of Shijimi…?

 

I don’t understand myself more and more…

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Writer’s note: Hello~ Finally feels less tired to update a new chapter. Been feeling really tired recently thus I didn’t really have time to write novels. HAHA~ I like how Semi is protective of Shijimi in this chapter, and maybe a shocking truth will be uncovered soon...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------