Ode to the Emotionally Retarded

It Will All Be Alright

                 Jinyoung woke feeling incredibly warm, he felt really refreshed. That was one of the best sleep he has gotten in a while. Usually, Jinyoung is used to Bambam shifting back and forth waking him up really easily. Jinyoung is usually a really light sleeper, but slept very soundly. Jinyoung looked over to his right saw Mark's head resting quietly on his chest, he looked similar to a sleeping kitten. Jinyoung felt himself having to resist the urge to fanboy because Mark looked absolutely adorable, but he didn't want to wake his roommate. He was kind of sad at the fact that they had to wake up, because that meant Mark will be putting back up his façade. Jinyoung frowned at the thought and picked up his phone, and took a picture of Mark's peaceful look. The boy was smiling and Jinyoung figured he'd take this as his payment for taking care of Mark all day yesterday. Although, he took care of Mark because he was worried and didn't expect anything in return, he just wanted for Mark to feel better. However, he needed to have legit reason for himself to justify evading Mark’s privacy, so he doesn't feel guilty. Jinyoung took the picture and realized that he didn't have Mark's number, he pouted. “Again with the face? Your face is going to get stuck like that, seeing how often you do that." Jinyoung heard Mark said, only making him pout harder. Mark sighed and got up from his comfortable position with his head rest on Jinyoung's chest. Which much to Mark's surprise was really hard, he didn't expect Junior to be so toned with a pretty face like his. However, remembering the boy’s’ soccer play from yesterday he should have expected it. Thinking about yesterday he might have to take back his words about Junior not being hot, because his fierce and rough display yesterday was enough to confirm everyone's words, he'd even agree with the comments he heard about Junior being "y af". Not Mark's words, but he really couldn't deny the truth in those words after seeing him play. Jinyoung mentally sighed, he took Mark's getting up and long silence as his roommate getting ready to go back to being cold and kicking him out. Which much to Mark's dismay, meant that Junior would pout hard with furrowed eyebrows. Mark suddenly moved, and shocked Jinyoung cause out of all the scenarios he came up with this morning of Mark's reaction after waking up, this was definitely not one of them.

 

                Mark glared at Jinyoung annoyed, which Jinyoung expected to happen. However, what he didn't expect was for Mark to be doing that while strattling him. Mark had both hands at the side of Jinyoung's face and both of his knees on the sides of Jinyoung, just below Jinyoung's hips. Mark hovered over Jinyoung, trapping the boy's body in between his hands and knees, underneath Mark's body. Jinyoung flushed, "Mark what are you do-doing?" Jinyoung said stuttering. "You know Junior you really don't like to listen. How many times have I nicely asked you to stop making that face?" Mark said in a low tone not cold, but with a hint of something Jinyoung couldn't identify. Jinyoung regained his composure, "I'd hardly call you demanding me to stop as being asked nicely. Actually, I think you'd classify it as the exact opposite." Mark ignored Junior smart come back, he is a bigger smart than Jaebum, Mark thought mentally rolling his eyes. "Jinyoung hasn't anyone told you it is rude to not listen to your hyung's words." Jinyoung just looked at Mark weirdly, "Mark we are in the same grade" "Yes, but I was born in '93 and I’m 100% sure a person with all AP classes didn't get left back. So that would make you the same age as Jackson and Jaebum." Mark said smirking down at the boy. Jinyoung realized why Mark was a Kingka despite is cold personality, he could almost feel himself melt under Mark's smirk. "But how come they don't call you Mark hyung?" Jinyoung asked curious. "You have met Jackson right?" Mark said deadpanned "Okay, I get him. But Jaebum is really respectful." Mark scoffed at Junior's image of Jaebum, Jaebum must be really over doing it in front of Junior, Mark thought. He wasn't particular happy about Jaebum need to impress Junior, not really understanding why he cared but he knows he doesn't want Junior to like Jaebum more than he likes Mark. "Respectful my , he may not be an incorrigible idiot like Jackson, but he just as stubborn. He refuses to address me as hyung, because I don't call him that ridiculous nickname he has everyone else call him. “Mark said defiantly.  “uh are you planning a moving anytime soon, I kind of need to get up” “Nope” Mark said in a bored tone. “seriously, I need to get up.” Mark bent down, so his mouth was next to Junior’s ear. “You’re not going anywhere. You have not listened to my words at all and I will punish you.” Mark said in a low tone again, making Jinyoung shiver. “You are mine” Mark growled possessively, shocking both him and Jinyoung with his words and how he sounded. Mark quickly added, “You will have to do what I ask for the day. Seeing as you keep disregarding my words.” “But, hyung~! I Can’t” Jinyoung whined but making sure to stop the automatic pout that wanted to grace his face. Mark liked the way Junior sounded and looked whining underneath him, especially loving the way hyung rolled of his tongue, but Mark quickly shook those thoughts out his mind. “I don’t care. No excuses pretty boy.” “I really can’t though Mark hyung. I have to work in the library today.” Mark was going to protest, but remembered Junior telling him yesterday about being an Orphan and having a little brother, He must have to work to support them, Mark thought sadly.

                Mark got off his roommate and stood, “okay, fine go get ready for work.” Mark said leaving his room and going in the bathroom, Jinyoung sighed “I hope he isn’t upset”. Then Jinyoung got up and went to his room to get some clothes and waited for Mark to come out the bathroom. Mark came out the bathroom with a towel around his waist and wet hair, and walked past Jinyoung heading straight to his room. Jinyoung figured that meant he was mad, so he just went to shower not wanting to get him even more mad. 15 mins later Jinyoung came out of the bathroom, wearing black skinny jeans and fitted long black sleeved shirt. Jinyoung came out to see Mark on the couch with his book bag, wearing a grey hoodie and some ripped denim skinny jeans. “going out? Make sure you stay warm; you don’t want your fever coming back.” “hmmm. I’m coming with you to the library.” Jinyoung stared at him with widen eye, “why?” “do you not want me too?” Mark asked looking offended. “That’s not what I meant. It’s just that I will have to work and you’ll be bored.” “that’s why I brought my homework. Plus, I can’t have you running off after your shift hiding because you want to get out of your punishment.” “I wouldn’t do that.” “hmmm” “fine. Let’s go.” “Wait!” “What’s the matter?” Mark walked up to Jinyoung and hugged him, Jinyoung automatically hugged him back. “Not, warm enough” Mark complained, he was warm but for some reason Mark remembers Junior being warmer yesterday. Jinyoung heard Mark and didn’t know what he meant, he looked at Mark questioningly. “you were warmer, yesterday” “Maybe it was your fever.” “No, it was you.” Jinyoung thought back to yesterday, “hey, Mark don’t get mad but tell me if this is better.” Jinyoung slide his hands under Mark’s sweater and pulled him close. “How is that? Better?” Jinyoung said hoping it worked, otherwise he would be utterly mortified. Mark hummed and shoved his face into Jinyoung’s neck, Jinyoung mentally rejoiced he didn’t just embarrass himself. They stayed like that till Mark pulled away, “okay, we can go now.” “Um not that I minded, but what was that?” Mark look at Jinyoung with a “are you serious” face. “what?” Jinyoung said defensively, Mark rolled his eyes “you told me to stay warm” was all he said before walking out the door. All Jinyoung could do was follow him.

                Mark and Jinyoung walked down the hallway, “Hyung hold on.” Mark just stared at Jinyoung with a slight smile. “Not, that I don’t like your smile, but why are you staring at me like that.” “Say it again.” Mark replied not answering Jinyoung’s question or at least that what the younger thought. “Huh? Say what?” Junior looked so confused it was quite assuming to Mark. “Yah! Don’t laugh at me.” Jinyoung got irritated because Mark was confusing him and not telling him anything helpful. Mark found irritate Junior cute, especially since the only time he sees Junior act like this is when the younger is with him. Mark took pride in being able to make Junior show sides to him that no one else sees, so he decided to play with the younger a little more. “Yah! Is that how you talk to a hyung? I don’t hear you speak like that to anyone else. Are you looking down on me?” Mark said pretending to be mad. He saw Junior’s face change to a worried and apologetic look in an instant. Jinyoung didn’t realize how comfortable he had gotten with Mark in a short amount of time, he didn’t realize that older would’ve thought he was being rude. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude Mark hyung. I just got really comfortable with you.” Mark hearing Junior’s words suddenly made Mark felt really happy, that Junior felt that way with him, but instantly felt bad about teasing the younger. Junior was looking at him with a deep frown, losing the usually gleam that boy’s eyes held. Mark felt bad, it was like he kicked a baby. He is really innocent, Mark thought. “Hey, stop that too. I prohibit you from making that face either, people would think I was bullying you.” Junior face still had not change, Jinyoung didn’t think Mark had accepted his apology hence the frown still remained on his face. “Your still mad” Jinyoung said softly before bowing his head, Mark groaned not at Jinyoung but at himself for making the other sad. However, that’s not how the younger took it and before the older could say anything, Junior starting walking not thinking Mark heard what he said. Mark was startled and sighed, great I made him cry and sad within less than 24 hours, Mark mentally scolded himself. Mark and Jinyoung walked quietly to the Library, Jinyoung thinking of what to do, so Mark wasn’t mad at him anymore and Mark thinking of how to make Junior smile again. They reached the library and Jinyoung just told Mark he had to go behind the front desk and log in all the returns. Mark nodded and went to a desk near the front desk, so he was still in Jinyoung’s sight.

                Mark did his homework quietly and was braining storming ideas to make Junior realize he wasn’t mad at the younger, without having to say it to the younger. Mark couldn’t think of a way to tell the younger without it being cheesy and embarrassing. Mark looked over at Junior and saw the frown on his face still in place and a daze look gracing the boy’s face. Mark sighed, Okay I’m being ridiculous I can just go and tell him I’m not mad and I was joking, and everything would be fine, Mark thought. Mark made a move to get up, but stopped before actually getting up. But, what if he asks why, I can’t just tell him he is cute when he is irritated and I wanted to , Mark groaned and hit his on the table. Jinyoung heard a bang and looked over at Mark, the boy had his head on the table. Jinyoung thought maybe the boy wasn’t feeling well, because one doesn’t willing hit their head to tables. Jinyoung worry that the boy’s sickness was returning, over powered his nervousness of Mark being mad at him. So Jinyoung was making his way over to the table where Mark sat to check on his roommate, but was halted midway by someone standing in his way. “Junior!” Junior looked up and saw a girl in his way, “omg! I thought that was you. Do you remember me, Suji?” Jinyoung felt her face click in his head. “Ah, yes hello Suji-shii. It’s good to see you again!” Jinyoung said being polite, but looked behind her still worried for Mark. “I was hoping we’d meet again, Oppa you never called me.” Suji said pouting. Mark heard someone call Junior’s name but just assumed it was someone who needed help. However, when he heard the girl say her name was Suji and ask Junior why he hadn’t call her, Mark lifted his head up. The girl was pretty Mark would give her that, but the revealing crop top and short mini skirt she wore just over powered her beauty, not Mark’s style. However, many guy’s seemed to like her, seeing at how many love letters and confessions she gets, but she never accepts them or shown interest in anyone. Mark narrowed his eyes at the two, because it was obvious the girl was flirting with Junior and the boy didn’t seem to be showing any signs of rejecting the girl’s advances.

“Oh well, Youngjae had showed me around properly and I haven’t seemed to get lost yet. So I didn’t require your help.” Junior said politely to which Mark smirked, Ha! That’s right, plus if Junior needed any help he could ask me! Mark thought.  “Oppa, my number wasn’t just for you to call if you were lost. It was so we could hang out sometime.” Jinyoung flinched at the girl’s aegyo it was slightly over the top, “Oh I’m sorry Suji-shii, I am busy trying to catch with classes, so I don’t have much free time to hang out and I’m working her in the library on my days off from class.” Suji pouted “aww! That , well when you have free time, let’s hangout?” Junior really wanted to finish this conversation quickly so he can check on Mark, “Ah sure thing Suji-shii, I have to go now. If you will excuse me” Jinyoung said and quickly strode past her. “Okay Oppa!” and she walked away. Mark was furious that Jinyoung had agree to the girl’s proposal to hangout.

                “Hey.” Jinyoung said approaching Mark, Mark stared at him coldly causing the younger to flinch. “what do you want?” Mark said not in the mood to talk to the younger, still angry at the scene he just witnessed. Jinyoung was a little taken aback, but remembered Mark could still be sick, “I saw you had your head down and you’re looking red, I thought your fever was coming back. I just wanted to check on you.” Jinyoung said with a concern look on his face. But, Mark’s jealous took over and forgot everything about wanted to let the younger know he wasn’t angry at him, “Oh really, I’m surprised you even remembered me with the flirting you were doing over there” Mark spat coldly. Jinyoung looked shock at Mark’s remark and tone, “I wasn’t flirting with Suji.” Jinyoung defended himself. “Well she obviously was and you did nothing to inform her you weren’t interested, you even agreed to go on a date with her” Jinyoung looked shocked, Mark was getting angrier as he spoke. “I did not do any such thing; I was just” but Mark cut Jinyoung off before he could defend himself. “Oh yeah sure, you have wonderful taste, I’m mean seriously was she even wearing enough cloth for it to be call clothing. You must really like meeting knew people. First, Jaebum and now Suji.  You must really get around!” Mark venomously and was about to spit out harsher insults. When he felt his face sting, Mark held his face and looked at the younger in disbelief. Junior had slapped him and had tears running down his face, “I don’t know what your problem is, I was just coming over to check on you and you lash out at me. How dare you insinuate to me being a ? I was just trying to get her to leave, so I agreed to anything, just so I can rush over and see if you are alright. I don’t know why you are so mad and directing it at me, but I am not going to be your emotional punching bag. So when you can talk to me like an adult and not a bratty child, throwing a tantrum, I’ll be waiting. However, right now I don’t even want to see your face. So get the hell out now!” Jinyoung growled out angry before turning away to go to the front desk. Mark looked shocked, but was still stubborn and hadn’t realized what he said to the younger. All he could see was Suji and Junior in his mind flirting, so he stormed out of the library but didn’t make it far. He had been so angry he hadn’t realized that he and Junior had gain spectators. Jackson, Jaebum, Youngjae, and two other guys Mark didn’t recognize were there gaping at the scene. Jackson looked surprised, Jaebum looked shocked, Youngjae looked scared, and the two other guys were just glaring at Mark. Mark didn’t really care about anything at the moment and just walked past them, out the Library, ignore Jackson’s and Jaebum’s calls.

                Mark had gotten halfway down the hallway before getting stop by Jackson and Jaebum. “MARK! Hold on!” Jackson yelled holding on Mark shoulder, but the latter just smacked it off. “What?!” Mark growled out, “Chill man, what happened with you and Junior?” “none of your business.” “well you made it everyone’s business, with the scene you two caused in the library.” Jaebum said snidely. “Shut up! And leave me alone” Mark retorted not in mood for any of Jaebum’s smart remarks, stepping up to Jaebum. Usually when Mark was pissed Jaebum didn’t push him to talk, but right Jaebum was also pissed at Mark for speaking to Junior like that, when the boy was only ever nice to Mark. “No, I won’t shut up! What the hell is your problem? Junior had only been nice to you, even though you don’t deserve it, especially now seeing how much off an you were to him. Junior ing spent his whole day yesterday taking care of you and worrying over you and you call him a .” “Shut the up, right now Jaebum” Mark said stepping forward to Jaebum, but the other didn’t step down only fueling Mark’s anger. “Whoaaaa! Hold on you guys, we are all friends. Let’s not fight!” Jackson said not liking the way this was going, getting in between the two. Jaebum just scoffed, “Friends, please Mark doesn’t know the meaning of a friend. All he knows is how to make people dislike him.” “hold on JB!” “No let him continue, if I’m such a crappy person why don’t you just leave me the alone. I. DON’T. NEED. YOU!” Jaebum was shocked he knew the other was mad, but he couldn’t believe he thought so little of their friendship. “I feel bad for Junior, Living with someone so heartless. I’m done with you, you’re not worth my time.” Jaebum said harshly and left going back to the library. Mark just glared at him, but Jaebum’s word hurt him more than the other knew. “JB, wait!” Jackson sighed this was bad “Mark come on let’s go, just say sorry and he’ll forgive you! He didn’t mean that” “I don’t give a ! If you think I’m going to say sorry to him. You can just off like him. I don’t need either of you!” Mark said seething and walked away, leaving Jackson there hurt.

                Mark stormed into his room and began throwing anything in sight, when he couldn’t find anything else to throw he just started punching the wall, continuously and hard, bruising his knuckles and punching holes in his wall. Mark stopped and was breathing raggedly, he getting out all his anger and frustration. But then he began to go over what just happened in his mind and realized what he did. He pushed away the only two friends he ever had and made them hate him. And he insulted and hurt Junior, when all the boy wanted to do was take care of him. Junior had been nothing, but nice. He managed to make Mark smile and feel things he has never felt before, he made Mark feel loved and cared for. But Mark had to screw it up, just like he did with everything. All Mark did for the boy was make him sad and cry, Jaebum was right I am a heartless person, Mark thought. Mark looked up and saw his reflection in the mirror, and got angry all over again, but at himself for being a ing . All he could do was everything up, that’s all Mark was good for and he just pushed away the only three people in his life that cared about him. Mark punched the mirror, not being able to stare at his reflection anymore. Mark walked to the edge on his bed and slid to the floor, looking at all the damage he caused, broken things left and right. His whole room was in disarray, holes in the wall, broken glass on the floor. Mark had bruised and bloody knuckles, Mark chuckled darkly, his room was a mess. Yet, it wasn’t as much of a mess as he was, and Mark did something he hasn’t done in a while. He cried, he bawled his eyes out.

                “Hyung! Are you are right?”  Bambam said as he ran to him hyung he has never seen his hyung crY before, not even at his parents’ funeral. Everyone would say how strong the older was that he didn’t even shed a tear. Youngjae and Yugyeom followed Bambam, “Hyung, what happened between you and Mark sunbae” “Junior hyung! Are you okay?” Junior looked up and saw his dongsaengs. “Bammie, Gyeom, Youngjae what are you guys doing here?” Jinyoung questioned. “we wanted to pick you up from work seeing as your shift is almost done.” Yugyeom said. “yeah, that’s when we saw you and Mark sunbae fight” “Ah you saw that?” “Yes. Hyung he is your roommate? He is terrible! Why don’t you just room with Youngjae, the admins wouldn’t know?” Bambam said feeling bad for his brother after seeing that. “No, he isn’t terrible Bammie he was just upset. I know he seems rough, but he honestly is a good person” Jinyoung saying defending Mark, although the elder’s words hurt him. He knew the older didn’t mean to hurt Jinyoung, he was just angry and didn’t know how to deal with his emotions. Jinyoung said he wouldn’t give up on Mark, so this wasn’t going to force him to let go of the other so easily. “Yeah, Mark is scary, but he isn’t a bad guy Bambam.” Youngjae said agreeing with Junior. “Youngjae hyung, how can you defend him after seeing what he said to Junior hyung” Yugyeom said never meeting Mark before, so automatically disliking the older seeing he treated Junior. “Yeah! Hyung how can you defend him! He made you cry, I’ve never seen you cry ever!” Bambam said furious, he couldn’t believe his two hyungs right now. He didn’t care, Mark had made his hyung cry, he hated the man automatically. “Yah! Junior don’t defend that heartless guys, he doesn’t deserve your care” Jinyoung heard a new voice say. “see hyung even Mark’s best friend said he isn’t worth it.” Bambam said agreeing with JB’s words, “Yah! JB you said some terrible things to Mark too! Don’t be so mean to your friend. “Jackson said now joining the conversation. “Oh please, you heard him Jackson. He doesn’t need us; we aren’t his friends at least that what he thinks. So why try with him anymore” JB said pissed. “Jackson hyung! How can you defend that after what he did to my hyung?” Bambam said in disbelief at Jackson defending Mark, Jackson got irritated at the hate being thrown at Mark and defended his best friend, “He made a mistake, he doesn’t deserve this” Jackson said fending off the harsh comments by JB and Bambam. Youngjae joined in with Jackson defending Mark. Soon it was a full blown argument with JB and Bambam against Jackson and Youngjae. 

“STOP IT!” Jinyoung yelled getting tired of the arguing, “this is a Library, now all of you leave.” Jinyoung was pissed and he was very scary, so no dared to cross him. Jinyoung sighed and packed up his stuff and left the library seeing his that his shift was over. Jinyoung was met with six people staring at him when he came out the library. “Now you all listen to me because I will not repeat myself. This is between me and Mark, as much as I appreciate the concern for me. It is not needed, okay? I know you are upset with Mark, but that isn’t how he is! You’ve all probably said things you didn’t mean in anger and Mark isn’t that good with dealing with any kind of emotions. So don’t judge him like he is a criminal. He is my friend and I don’t give up on friends just because we fought, that is bound to happen but real friends stick together no matter what. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go check on my friend!” Jinyoung said scolding them all before leaving to check on his roommate, worried about the other. Leaving all 6 boys to reflect and in shame


Author Comment

Aww poor Mark, he is an  but he can't help it.  That's right Jinyoungie don't give up on him!