Tackled From Left Field

It Will All Be Alright

 

 

 

 

Jinyoung had early morning football practice and then was working in the library. Though it seems like the plans were a bit thrown off, the team was playing a scrimmage with another school who they were scheduled to play in a couple of weeks. The other team has never played against Jinyoung before and underestimated him but were quickly proven wrong. Jinyoung as much more aggressive and fierce once he got on the field. The other team and Jinyoung’s teammates were all awestruck. All except one very bitter player on the opposing team, Kang Seung Yoon, he felt that Jinyoung was mocking him. Jinyoung played like the scrimmage was a real match, Jinyoung’s teammate learned first hand how ruthless Jinyoung was when he was in a game. The same couldn’t be said for the opposing team though, Seungyoon thought Jinyoung was mocking them by continuously scoring in a scrimmage match.

 

While Jinyoung kicked to score his last goal and he was tackled hard by Seung Yoon, Jinyoung flipped and luckily braced his fall with his forearms. Although he stopped the fall and prevented himself from crushing his own leg, he ended up injuring his hand. Jinyoung hissed in pain holding his forearm, “Jinyoung-ah!” Ravi yelled and ran over to the younger. Ravi fell to knees and inspected the younger. “Are you okay Jinyoung-ah!” “uuughhhhh-ah” Jinyoung moaned out in pain. “It’s okay, don’t worry. I’ll get you to they infirmary.” Ravi said hoping to calm the younger. “ Oh! I’m sorry I didn’t mean to hurt him.” Seung Yoon said in a very insincere voice while smirking causing Ravi to get extremely pissed. “You bastard! You did on purpose you started your tackle after he kicks the ball!” Ravi said soothingly grabbing Seung Yoon’s collar. “I would never hurt him willingly.” Seung Yoon said not even trying to hide his grin.

 

Ravi tightens his grip on Seung Yoon collar, “Ravi hyung stop! Ughh it -ahh it’s fine just help me to the infirmary” Jinyoung called out trying to get up it wanted the older to get in trouble. Ravi glared at Seung Yoon before letting him go, “You’re lucky” Seung Yoon scoffed “Yeah you better go get him check out it would be a shame if anything serious happened to him, but you're right I'm feeling lucky so hopefully it's a little more than a sprain.” Seung Yoon said lowly so only Ravi can hear. Which wasn’t a good idea on Seung Yoon’s Part because the older punched him straight on in the face with enough force to break his nose, which due to the amount of blood coming out, it looks like that is exactly what he did. The other team's coach had a field with that, “Hey! You need to get a hold of your play. I will have him kicked off the team for that.” The opposing team said angrily. While Junho did approve of violence, Ravi did do what he wished he could do for that obvious display of foul play. “Go ahead Seungri, I’ll have you player blacklisted from the league and expelled for his actions,” Junho said evenly but his tone held no room for argument.

 

Seungri scoffed but he knew Ravi would get a minor infraction while Seung Yoon could face worse consequences, so he just told his team to pack up and leave. Junho turned over to his team, “Wonshik that wasn’t the right thing nor do I condone violence but he did have that coming. I still have to punish you so you will be sitting out on the Match we have with them.” Ravi bowed his head he knew he was going to get in trouble but the coach wasn’t too upset because he gave him a very light punishment. “Now go and take Jinyoung to the infirmary the rest of you can pack up we can end practice early. “Jinyoung hyung!” Youngjae ran over concerned for the younger. “I’m fine Youngjae ah! It’s okay don’t worry, you have class no skipping but can you tell Junhong I don’t think I'll make it to my shift today.” Jinyoung said to the younger. Youngjae nodded as he watches Ravi whisk the younger off, “Yah! Hyung, my legs aren’t  injured put me down. I can walk to the infirmary,” Ravi, however, ignore the younger and continue on his way as Youngjae watch them.

 

Youngjae went to the library to tell Junhong that Jinyoung couldn't make his shift, After, assuring Junhong that Jinyoung said not to worry he left to go back to his dorm and get ready for his classes. Youngjae really wanted to skip class and make sure he can hear the nurse confirm that his hyung is okay. However, he knew that Jinyoung would not be happy with that and send him away even if he tried. Youngjae sighed as he made his way back to his dorm, he was worried for his hyung but he was also worried about something else. Youngjae was conflicted about another matter, he still wasn't sure if he should tell Bambam about this or not. Jinyoung was his brother and it wouldn't be right for him to not tell the younger. Although, on the other hand, Jinyoung had told him not to worry so it obvious the older wouldn't want his brother to worry either.  Bambam was less emotionally composed than Jinyoung, Youngjae knew the younger would automatically forget about his classes and rush to Jinyoung's side which isn't good. Both Jinyoung and Bambam are scholarship students so they shouldn't do anything to jeopardize their scholarships.

 

Youngjae opened the door to is dorm and was greeted with the sight of Yugyeom, Bambam, Jackson, Mark, and Jaebum in his kitchen eating breakfast. "Hey Hyung, sorry we didn't tell you that we were coming over," Yugyeom said sheepishly. "You don't mind right Youngjae hyung!" Bambam said smiling to the older as he feeds Jackson. Youngjae felt nervous and felt like a dam exploded in him, the words left his mouth before he could stop them. "Jinyoung hyung is in the infirmary." The rest of the guys faces formed into different levels of concern, worry, and panic with Mark's and Bambam's faces even match for the most concerned and worried award. Mark and Bambam got up and both automatically made their way to the door, which Youngjae on instinct blocked with his life. "Move" was all Mark said as Bambam nodded in agreement with the older. "Hold wait a minute! Jinyoung hyung told me not to worry and the only person he told me to tell was Junhong-shi. So you can't go barging in there because it will be obvious I told you. Plus, he told me not to worry and Ravi Sunbae is with him," Youngjae said.

 

"He is with who?" Mark said with an even tone, Youngjae knew he said something wrong again. Bambam rolled his eyes, "Jinyoung hyung is hurt and you have time to get jealous. As long as I've lived  your the only human being my brother as showed any romantic interest in and he has been hit on by a lot of people, and I mean a lot." Bambam said but Youngjae didn't think that it really help. However, everyone froze for a second but Jackson being himself snapped out of shock first, "YOU'RE DATING JINYOUNG!!!!" Mark flushed although he wasn't hiding the fact the two of them never really addressed how they would tell their friends. "What happened to Jinyoung anyways Youngjae?" Mark said changing the subject because Jinyoung is more capable of answering the line of questioning he is bound to receive. "OH NO! You don't get to ignore the question. How can you not tell your best friend that you have a boyfriend?" Mark sighed and rolled his eyes, "Jaebum knew." Mark said. Jackson being the dramatic person his gasp, "Jaebum. Im Jaebum is your best friend!" Jaebum smirked. Bambam wasn't as offended seeing as Jinyoung told him, "My brother is injured and yet you think this is this is what is important Jackson hyung." Jackson deflated and let it go for now.

 

"Youngjae hyung, what happened to Jinyoung hyung?" Bambam asked. "Well, we were doing a scrimmage with a team we have a match with couple weeks from now. Jinyoung is always in the zone when we play and he plays like every game is real. I mean our team is used to it, but the other teams were really shocked. This player from the other team must have gotten his ego bruised because of it. So when Jinyoung finished making a goal this guy purposely tackled him hard, even Coach Lee was upset because he obviously did it on purpose." Youngjae was explaining when he was interrupted by a very angry group of people. "Who is it?" Mark said darkly and Jackbam were yelling up a storm. Youngjae mentally scolded himself, he was digging himself a bigger hole he should just shut up but the words kept flowing out his mouth. "Hold on! Jinyoung hyung told me not to worry and to go to class. Which means he'd want you and Yugyeom to go to class too. You can't skip out on your class just to go to his side, you have responsibilities and you have the scholarship to uphold. Jinyoung wouldn't be happy if he knew that you were skipping class or if anyone of you were going on some manhunt for the guy who hurt him. Plus, that guy already got what was coming to him. I don't know what he said to Ravi hyung about Jinyoung hyung but Ravi sunbae punched him in the face and I think he may have broken the guy's nose." All the guy visibly calmed down a bit knowing the guy got what he deserved.

 

Mark cleared his throat, "Jinyoung wouldn't you guys worrying. I'll go and make sure he is alright. You three finished up your breakfast and get ready for last and you two," Mark said looking at Jaebum and Jackson. "Can you guys make sure that they do that. I'll let you know if he is alright and how bad the injury is." Mark said trying to remain calm and cool-headed. Jackson was going to protest but Jaebum knew that Mark needed to know that Jinyoung was okay, alone. "Yeah, don't worry about these trouble makers. We'll make sure they don't freak out and do something stupid." Jaebum said as he tightens his grip on Jackson's shoulder to keep the younger in his place. Mark nodded at Jaebum and the eldest was about to leave when he got stopped. "Mark hyung" Mark turned around to see Bambam looking at him with almost teary eyes. "Make sure he is alright and stay by his side for me."  Mark knew how much Jinyoung loved Bambam and they only had each other the younger must be scared if he ever loses his brother. Mark isn't one for feelings with people other than Jinyoung nor is he a comforter but he knew he had to do something to calm the younger boy. Mark hugged the younger rubbed his back soothingly, "Don't worry Bambam-ah, I'll make sure everything is alright, don't worry Jinyoung-ah is strong and he wouldn't want you worrying about. I stay by him don't worry about that." Mark said soothingly everyone was shocked by the action they didn't expect it from him. Bambam sniffled and nodded, Mark let go of the younger and looked over the Jackson the other boy nodded in understanding and held Bambam. Jackson was a bit slow but Mark knew the Chinese boy understood he meant for Jackson to take care of younger.

 

Mark rushed over to the infirmary he tried to keep calm in front of the others, especially Bambam. However, he was a wreck and he wouldn't be able to rest unless he saw Jinyoung. He felt bad when he heard Bambam say he should worry about Jinyoung and Ravi. The jealous was in irrational and he knew that but couldn't help it and he knew it wasn't because he thought Jinyoung would leave him for Ravi. Ravi had a boyfriend which according to Jinyoung, the boy loved a lot. Mark didn't realize it before but now he knew why he felt jealous. It was because he was insecure, he wasn't the one to be there for Jinyoung and he wasn't the person who gave the guy what he deserved. That was all Ravi, he knew Ravi wasn't after Jinyoung but Ravi embodied everything. Ravi brought all his fears to surface, he wanted Jinyoung to have the best and there were many times he felt he wasn't the best. Mark sighed he knew he shouldn't get jealous but he couldn't help it. Mark reached the door and took a second to take a deep breath before pulling the door knob. Mark was met with the receptionist, The JYP school is a was big campus and quite a distance from the city so they have a small state of the art hospital as an infirmary. The receptionist looked up and smiled at looked up at Mark, "Hello, you must be Park Jinyoung-shi's boyfriend." Mark was a bit startled that the lady could just assume that.  "Ahh, I'm sorry you must be startled it is just that the boy that came in with the patient said that his boyfriend, Mark Tuan, would probably be arriving soon and he'd look extremely worried," Mark flushed. "Yes, I am Mark Tuan," the nurse smiled "I will take you to his room." Mark followed the lady to Jinyoung's room, they arrived at the door and she left Mark.

 

"Jinyoung" Mark called out as he opened the door to the room. Everyone's as in the room followed towards Mark, normally that would make the man feel a little uncomfortable but all he had on mind was Jinyoung. "Mark hyung" Jinyoung called out surprised, although he should have known Youngjae wouldn't be able to keep this to himself and Mark wouldn't be able to stay away. "I'm sorry but I really do need to treat Jinyoung-shi now so if you can all please leave. You may see him afterward and he should be discharged by then," the doctor said before asking them to leave. Ravi and Mark went to the waiting from, "Well you're here now. It looks like I'm not needed, he is fine by the way, so don't worry too much. However, I don't think that will stop you from worry anyway but just so you know he has a fractured finger, sprained wrist, and a   bruised forearm. The doctor's said it will take a good three weeks to heal but it shouldn't cause any future damage. So I think you can handle this now and I'm sure he'd much rather have you by my side by his side than me." Ravi said smirking as he left the room and Mark thought for a second before following the boy out. "Hey! Ravi" Mark called put, Ravi turned around raising an eyebrow. Mark wanted to thank him for everything but he could find the words, Ravi smiled he understood the boy thankfully. "Your welcome and don't worry I got the other guy good. I'm sure he'll need to fix his nose." Mark smirked at the other, "Thanks" Ravi nodded and turned around walking away not before hold up his hand with a short wave saying bye.

 

Mark went back into the waiting room and waited for a good 10 mins before the doctor came out with Jinyoung. "You are good to go Jinyoung-shi. Just come back after every shower to set the splinter for the first week. However, you should be able to reset it yourself or with help after the first week. Just sign your discharge papers and make sure not to do too much with your hand. I sent a note the administrative office to giving you leave from work and one to your coach dictating your recovery period. Please take care of yourself and try not to get any more injuries. Although I know that can only be wishful thinking on my own and your part, seeing as you play a very aggressive, strenuous sport. But one can hope anyways, you seem to be in good hands. I'll let you two get on your way." Jinyoung and Mark thanked the doctor and the both went to their dorm, they walked in silently. Jinyoung wanted to assure Mark he was alright but the blank look on the elder had on his face made him want to wait. Mark was in his own head, so Jinyoung thought it would be best for him to wait for Mark to collect his thought. They reached the room and the first thing Mark did was to hug the older. "I was worried. I know you are fine but I was worried. I wish I could be there to protect you even though you would be upset. Just a give me a couple second to calm down. My head knows you're okay but my heart needs a little time to recover.”

 

Jinyoung relaxed into Mark's embrace, the younger let out a content sigh. Mark's embrace was warm and comforting, it has been a while since Jinyoung has very felt the same kind of comfort as his parents' hugs used to give him. Mark was a worry and some people might find that a little overbearing but for Jinyoung it was a nice feeling. Jinyoung is usually the one doing the caring and worry but he has learned after awhile he has to let Bambam learn and experience things for himself. Mark is new to these feelings so he doesn't really understand that even though he is worried he is going to have to internalize them or he'd go crazy with worry. However, for now, Jinyoung is fine with his over protection and will later teach the older to let go of his constant worrying. Jinyoung remember when Bambam was a baby, Jinyoung was crazy he didn't want the orphanage or nurses to touch him. Anytime the younger got sick Jinyoung would freak and think it was some fatal health issue even though it was just a common cold. Jinyoung learned after sleepless nights that he could live like this and he couldn't protect Bambam from the world and the younger wouldn't like him to when he got older. Mark current state reminiscent of his younger self that's why he didn't bother trying to reason out that he will be fine because it wouldn't help Mark need to be the one to help Jinyoung and watch his recovery to feel okay.

 

Mark pulled away although he really didn't want to, he knew Jinyoung would want to rest. "I don't wanna let you go but you should rest". However, Jinyoung didn't want to let go of the older which was a surprise to Mark. It's not like he thought that Jinyoung didn't care about him, it is just that Mark is usually the vocal one about skinship and initiating things. "You may have recovered enough but I still need a little recovery time hyung," Mark smiled Jinyoung was always cute but it is usually an unintentional thing. However, right now the younger was intentionally trying to be cute in hopes that the older would hold him longer. "Jinyoungie you don't have to act cute to get me to hold you. I'd do that anytime but I'm not complaining. I'd take cuteness from you at any time either." Jinyoung pouted a bit, "if you'd do it at any time why'd you let go of me." Mark smile fell, "I don't want to smother you. I know you don't say it but I'm overprotective and overly jealous. I don't want you to feel like you have no freedom or something." Jinyoung looked at him with an 'are you kidding me?' look, "Why are you always jumping to conclusions by yourself. By the way, you're still not hugging me and that is the only problem with you at the moment." Mark snorted and hugged back his boyfriend, Jinyoung could really needy when he wanted another thing Mark didn't mind.

 


Bambam got a text from Jinyoung's phone, 'He's got a fractured finger, sprained wrist, and bruised forearm. It is not too bad of injuries the Doctor said, it will take about 3 weeks to for his finger to heal completely. He is going to be fine though. You can come over today after class to check on him, - Mark'. Bambam let out a sigh of relief, it finally felt like he could breathe. Jinyoung is usually never the one who is hurt or needs to be taken care of, it an unfamiliar feeling for Bambam and it isn't one he was fond of. Bambam wasn't particularly fond of Mark in the beginning and not really sure up until recently if he could trust the elder with his brother. Just like Bambam was precious to Jinyoung the same with for Bambam.  This was the first time anyone has made Jinyoung happy, so despite Bambam ill feeling towards Mark was worth risking Jinyoung's happiness. Mark may be curt and cold but Jinyoung saw something in Mark and he saw the Mark cared. When Youngjae said Jinyoung was in the infirmary, Mark's usually stoic face was lit up in panic. Bambam may not see what Jinyoung sees in Mark, but he can see how much Jinyoung loved Mark. And what he gathered from Jackson and Mark's reaction today Mark really love Jinyoung too. That was enough for Bambam if Jinyoung is happy and loved it was enough because Mark seemed to love Jinyoung as much as he loved his brother. He knew Jinyoung was in good hands and could finally get through the rest of his classes with a lighter heart.

 


Mark and Jinyoung were cuddling on the bed, "Did you get Jaebum to help you with your song?" "hmm" "Well, I can't wait to hear it in the next the 2 days." "You think you can go to class like this?" "Mark hyung, I have fractured finger, not a fractured skull. I am perfectly capable of going to classes. Plus, I have a scholarship hyung I don't have the luxury to be taking days off." Mark sighed he knew that and it still annoyed him he really wished Jinyoung could actually rest. "I'm fine Mark hyung, the only thing that is annoying is that I have to miss my first match," Jinyoung sighed. "You'd think they'd let me play if I heal up enough in the next 2 weeks." Mark rolled his eyes, "It doesn't matter if they do I'd never allow it." Jinyoung snuggled his face into Mark's neck, "But Hyung I've worked really hard in training. I'm supposed to be in the starting lineup, my team is counting on me." "Yeah, well that is unfortunate but I made a promise to keep you safe and protect you and that also means from yourself too. You know Jinyoungie you have a nasty habit not doing what is in the best interest of yourself." Jinyoung pouted, "I don't really like that when you pout and whine I cave so easily but when I do it it doesn't work." Mark chuckled, "Trust me it works very well for you, it just that your health and safety comes before your want nyoungie." Jinyoung sighed "fine I guess you being sweet and cuddling with me will be my consolation prize but I want ice cream and a lot of it." Mark chuckled, "Of course, I'm glad to know that ice cream can replace me." "Hey don't underestimate the power of ice."

 


Nichkhun was on his weekly call with his boss, Mr. Tuan. Although Nichkhun sent progress reports over to the business's main office in California. Yet, Mr. Tuan called for weekly to check himself but the business of that week or progress on renovations. Usually, Mr. Tuan's calls always start about business but somehow all their talks ended up more about Mark's progress. Mr. Tuan was a smart man and would only trust an equally smart man to run his brother company in Korea. Which is why he picked Nichkhun to help, Thai native fit all those requirements. Nichkhun being the smart man he didn't take long to realize that these weekly calls were less about business and more about Mark. His boss didn't fool him it was obvious from the first call that it was about Mark.  Mark wasn't the only one who was not able to properly vocalize his feeling. It seems to be a Tuan family trait or at least the male Tuan trait.

However, this week's call seemed to have different intentions then it's usual 'Mark inquiry'. Mr. Tuan was asking about an upcoming deal that Nichkhun client. Nichkhun has dealt with this client since the client inquired about the Tuan services. Yet, for some reason, Mr. Tuan was insisting that he come to Korea for the deal. Also, he mentions since it would be around at Christmas time that he'd bring the whole family with him for a little vacation. However, Mr. Tuan has never done dealings with clients from the Korean offices. So it was quite obvious that the Tuan family had a different reason for coming to Korea. Although Mr. and Mrs. Tuan considered him as a family member, he wasn't one but there was someone in Korea that was family. Nichkhun couldn't deny his request because he was the boss. Nichkhun wasn't too sure if Mark would be ready to actually meet his parents. They sent Mark gifts his birthday and gave his own bank account since all his report cards were alway in the honor level grades. However, the only people that he talked to were Tammy, Grace, and his nieces. He never has resentment towards Grace or Tammy because they raised him but he never had any contact with his parents or Joey since he came to Korea.

 


 


 

Author Comment

I’m sorry I haven’t updated in months, I have been busy with personal matters but I have not forgotten this story. This update is a little short but I hope you enjoy!