Chapter One

Turquoise Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter One

 

“Make way!”

The crowd bustled and pushed each other as they scrambled to get out of the way of the incoming man riding on the tall, stellar horse.

“Make way for the King’s messenger!”

The horse let out a shrill shriek as the messenger pulled harshly onto its reigns, and the thundering of hoofbeats immediately died down to a frightened hush as the messenger stopped in the middle of the town square. Tilting his yellow hat backwards, the messenger pulled a scroll out of his pocket and held it up in front of the crowd.

“As a treaty of peace to end the war with the vampires, it is decreed that Princess Miko will be sent to the three princes of the vampire kingdom as a treaty gift. I repeat, Princess Miko will be sent to the three princes of the vampire kingdom as a treaty gift. She will be leaving tomorrow morning.”

Clearing his throat, the messenger then titled his hat once more at the people before kicking the sides of the horse. In a flurry, the horse neighed once more at the impact of the kick and stormed away from the town.

At first, silence enveloped the stunned town. Then, a small boy tugged onto his mother’s sleeves.

“Does that mean that the war has ended, mother?”

The mother stared dumbly at the empty spot the messenger once resided, then, tears fell down her dirtied cheeks.

“Yes, my child,” The mother whispered, a mixture of confusion and relief washed over her face, “The war…the war has finally ended.”

All of a sudden, cheers and cries erupted from the people, and with hats thrown in the air and people hugging each other in delighted joy, only one message could be heard pronounced loud and clear.

“The war has ended!” It rang throughout the exhausted town like a sweet, refreshing melody, “The war has finally ended!”

 

 

 

 

Miko was the perfect princess.

She had raven-dark hair that flowed down her back in silky, waveless lengths; skin so impeccably pale and white that snow would seem dirty compared to it, and a small, petite body that looked as if it would crumble under any added pressure.

Miko was beautiful, elegant, and pure. She was the single flower that survived untainted through the gruesome and bedraggled war. When the people of the country worked every day under the scorching sun, their skin toughening and their blood growing older, Miko stayed prettily within the castle walls.

She stayed as perfect as a doll, and as sheltered as a flower blossoming in the green-house.

Therefore, Miko was the perfect human to offer as sacrifice to the blood-hungry vampires.

Perhaps Miko had always known that her existence was only to become the people’s last trump card. Perhaps Miko had always realised that she lived solely for the purpose to be offered to the vampires one day when they lose the war.

Miko knew, but did not speak.

She understood that it was her duty to just remain pretty. Even when she would be handed to the vampires on a silver platter, she will just lay there as quiet as a rose and remain compliant to whatever they deem to do with her.

Miko, was the perfect princess anyone could ever wish to have.

Jingle.

Tilting her head upwards, Miko glanced over as the sound of the chains that locked her inside her room could be heard falling to the ground. Then, the door creaked open and the great figure of her father entered.

“Miko, my dearest daughter,” The king walked over to Miko, who sat frigidly upright on the stool. She was dressed in a simple white dress, and snow roses adorned her ebony head. “I’m sorry that you have to go to that disgusting place, but you understand that this is for the good of the people, right?”

As Miko stared into the ash-grey eyes of her father, she knew that he was not a bit sorry. In fact, a look of mild pride covered his irises, as if he felt that he deserved to be awarded for raising such a perfect daughter. One that did not complain nor struggle when she heard of the news that she was to be sent to the vampire kingdom.

But Miko did not blame her father. She knew what that he was only thinking for the good of the people.

“Yes, father,” Miko bowed her head daintily, “I understand.”

“Good,” her father smiled before offering her a hand. Taking the outstretched hand wordlessly, Miko allowed her father to lead her outside the room, “then it’s time for you to leave, we don’t want the vampires to be waiting for too long now, do we?”

“No father,” Miko answered, “That wouldn’t be good.”

For the first time in six years, Miko finally stepped outside of her pretty dungeon. With each step further and further away from the room that she had been cooped up in ever since the war, Miko suddenly felt more and more fear as she walked towards the frightening unknown.

When the doors of the castle pushed open, Miko could feel her skin immediately turning a flushed colour of red as they came in contact with the sun. Any second longer, and Miko believed that her skin would burn.

Fortunately, a golden carriage was already awaiting her outside the castle, and before the light could do any more damage on her tender skin, Miko was escorted inside. As the door closed behind her, and the horseman took his spot at the front of the carriage, her father leaned in to her and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“I wish you a safe journey, Miko,” The king whispered in her ear, “goodbye.”

 

 

 

 

What once was a glaringly bright sun grew dimmer and dimmer until it had diminished into the eerie glow of a smiling moon. Bare trees groaned and creaked as the carriage sped past the thicket, and the deeper they drove, the darker it got.

By the time they exited the gloomy thicket, the sky had turned a complete shade of dark blue, and hints of dusky red lingered around the edges of the sky. In that moment as the horseman pulled the reins on the horses, Miko could not tell whether the darkness was due to the night, or simply because of the fact that they had finally arrived at the vampire’s castle.

“We’re here, princess.” There were tremors in the horseman’s voice, it was clear that he wanted nothing more than to quickly get out of here. And as he hopped off the carriage and opened the door for her, Miko could see the plain fear that swarmed his eyes.

Resting her hand on the horseman’s outstretched arms, Miko stepped off the carriage and stared towards the looming castle in front of her. It was an incredible castle. With long towers and solid brick walls, it looked everything like the vampire castle Miko had imagined in her mind.

Except that now she was actually standing in front of it, it looked even more daunting than the ones in her imagination.

Neiiiggghhh

All of a sudden, the horse reared up its front legs and began stomping on the ground restlessly. With a startled shriek, the horseman let go of Miko’s hands and jumped onto the horse, aiming to calm it down. Yet upon the impact of the horseman’s weight on its back, the horse only grew more frantic, and with a last snort, it teared off back inside the thicket, leaving Miko alone in the wake of its dust.

Standing motionlessly with widened eyes as the horse and the horseman disappearance off into the distance, Miko let out a shaky breath before turning her attention back onto the castle in front of her. Now that she was completely alone, fear finally began to crawl up her skin, and the castle suddenly seemed taller and scarier.

So when the tips of a cold finger tapped onto her bare shoulder, Miko couldn’t help but let out a small, terrified gasp. Swirling around, Miko could feel her heart beating wildly in her chest as she came face to face with a tall, skinny man with skin too pale and eyes too dark.

A pair of thin spectacles sat primly on the edge of his long nose, and his greyed hair was brushed to one side.

“Princess Miko,” Miko did not dare to refuse when the man held out his hand, and she took it with trembling fingers, “please follow me.”

The inside of the castle was colder and much more spine-chilling than its exterior. The only light source was the flickering candles alongside the empty hallways, and endless corridors decorated with endless rooms made up the entire castle – at least to Miko, that was what it seemed to be.

If not for the man next to her leading the way, Miko would’ve already been lost in this never-ending maze.

“Princess Miko,” Miko jumped again as the man suddenly spoke, “we have arrived.”

It was then did Miko realise that they have stopped in front of a large metal door. Heaving a shaky breath, Miko turned around to face the man only to realise with fright that he had disappeared.

“Well then, won’t you come inside, princess Miko?”

Letting out a petrified yelp, Miko stared with wide-eyed fear as a voice boomed from within the doors. Then, the doors burst open, and before she knew it, Miko was inside the room by an invisible force.

By the time it stopped, Miko’s legs collapsed under her, and falling to the ground in an unladylike fashion, Miko felt like she could throw up there and then.

“Good evening, princess Miko.”

With flittering eyes, Miko dared herself to look up at what she presumed was the three Vampire princes in front of her. Indeed, as her eyes travelled upwards, Miko found herself staring into the faces of three men.

Three handsome men.

As Miko stared at their faces blatantly, they too, stared back down at her. Then, the one standing in the middle lifted his lips up into a smirk.

“Well, well,” The vampire took a step forward and grabbed Miko’s chin, tilting her face sideways so that her neck was exposed, “You have quite the tempting scent, I can’t wait to feast myself on your blood.”

Biting her lips, Miko could feel the nauseousness gnawing at her stomach again. The grip on her chin was too hard, and Miko could already feel a bruise forming on her delicate skin.

“Stop it, Kai.” The vampire standing to the left spoke. With her face still being tilted sideways, Miko could only look at him from the corner of her eyes. He had a fair complexion, gentle eyes and faded black hair that almost seemed grey. Out of the three, he seemed the kindest. “Don’t scare the frightened girl.”

With a snort, Kai – the vampire who held onto her chin – released his grip on Miko, and Miko tumbled backwards from the force before bringing her fingers lightly up to her chin. Yet Miko could still see the hunger in Kai’s eyes as he stared her down, and she noticed with fear the protruding fangs that poked out from behind his plump, full lips.

The kind vampire noticed Kai’s fangs too, and he grabbed onto Kai’s arm as if for a final warning. Then, he leaned over to Miko and offered her a gloved hand. Taking his hand warily, Miko allowed herself to be hoisted up so she was standing on the ground.

“I’m Lay,” The vampire smiled down at her, and despite his fangs not being as prominent as the ones Kai was trying to control right now, she could still see the tips of his fangs threatening to grow out anytime soon, “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“L-Likewise.” Miko couldn’t stop the tremor that came into her voice, and she kept her eyes downcast. Yet when the third vampire spoke, Miko’s eyes flew upwards to look at him.

“Sehun.” Though that was the only thing he said, Miko almost swore she heard calm ripples of water linger his voice, “Oh Sehun.”

Now that she was fully staring at him, Miko finally took in his appearance.

Much like Lay, he had fair skin and wavy, light-coloured hair. But what struck Miko was his eyes.

They were a colour of calm sea-water. Though tranquil at first, but the longer Miko fell into the misty abyss of his eyes, the more she could hear waves crashing against the rocks and the wind roaring against her ears.

“Princess Miko.”

Jolting out of her daze, Miko blinked at Lay, who had spoken.

“It’s late now, I’ll take you to your room.” Bowing in a gentlemanly manner, Lay once again offered his hand to her. Gulping slightly, Miko took his hand as he began leading her out of the room, “Tomorrow, we’ll go over your duties.”

“What duties,” Kai rolled his eyes at the back, “She’s just here to give us her blood when we crave it.”

A small smile pinched Lay’s thin lips.

“Ah, Kai.” Lay shook his head, “Now why do you have to spoil the secret? I wanted to at least give her a good night’s rest.”

Noticing how the hand in his grip had begun trembling slightly, Lay turned over to Miko, his smile unwavering.

“Now, now, princess Miko,” Lay used his other hand to gently thread his fingers through Miko’s hair, “Don’t be scared, we won’t kill you…”

“…after all, blood only taste good when the target is alive, isn’t that right?”

 

 

 

 

Miko woke up with a panicked start.

Panting quick breaths, Miko stared sideways out the window only to find that it was still eerily dark outside. Whether it was because it was still night, or because this place never sees the light Miko wasn’t sure, but she did know that goose bumps was running up her skin for unknown reasons.

Glancing down at herself, Miko noticed that the white dress she was wearing had been replaced by a pair of silk pyjamas. Frowning, Miko tried to remember how she even got to this room in the first place or whether she put these pyjamas on by herself, but everything was a shapeless blur in her mind, and she couldn’t remember for her life how she got to this room.

Miko could only remember faintly the short meeting she had with the three princes, and…

…and those stunning turquoise eyes which belonged to the third vampire.

What was his name again? Oh Sehun?

“Oh, so you’ve finally woken up?”

Shrieking, Miko jumped up on the bed and whipped her head around, being crudely interrupted from her train of thoughts. Miko’s eyes widened when she saw the owner of the voice that spoke; leaning against the bed post was Kai, his arms crossed over his chest and his lips curled into an amused smirk.

“W-What are you doing here?” Miko quickly pulled herself against the backboard of the bed, and she dragged the covers up to her chest warily.

Kai stared at her frightened state for a second before his eyes darkened with exciteme

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter