Asylum

IOI Shikshins One-Shot Collection

A sickening sound of guns and shaky resonation filled one shabby room. It was almost like a pigsty, the bed all soiled with disgusting sheets and wastes of food were everywhere like a cornucopia of the likes of pests. A pair of brown eyes looked at the messy screen of various pixelated hues as she got up and turned the television off.

Kang Mina could recall the moments she had of Jeju before she was moved to New Zealand. She was a notorious woman in the hotel and restaurant tycoon plus an admiral on national defense, betting all her wealth to land, riches, even women, all the while she gained more. But with a recent fiasco of treachery involving a fellow entrepreneur and with the Korean Department of Finance, she was framed. Now, the part of the country where they loathed her to bits were beginning to hunt her down. But the government thought that the allegations towards Mina were irrational and lacking. However, she still had her punishment for involving herself of such an act. They made a decreed and granted Mina a pass off of the country to avoid anymore bad allegations.

Mina tosses the control out, slumping onto her bed and continued to contemplate of the missing emotions flooding towards her face. She never thought that a single accusation cost her of her luxury, the event almost inevitable.

Then again, it was alright, to the least she was relieved from all the s happening towards the other side of the world.

+++

“Telegram!”

Mina woke up from that yell, her eyes greeting the usual mess. She noticed a piece of paper fall through the mail slot and went to get it, all the while she had the urge to clean the place up. After she fixed her room, she averted her attention towards the telegram. Mina read it as she tensed. She then hastily grabbed her phone and called someone.

Got the telegram?

“So what?!” Mina hissed. “Why me?”

You're a veteran admiral during your stay in Jeju, Mina. And since you’re in New Zealand, I thought it would nice to have you as an addition to the lineup.

“I have been long done with the service, Hyeyeon.” Mina said. “Will I even be able to serve here properly? I have a ty record there.”

Do remember that it was unjustified so you’re technically off the hook. And besides, you’re only serving there. It’s about time you come out of your shell. I’ll be going there as my assignment.

“Give me some time to think about it.” Mina spoke and hung up.

+++

Mina could cuss at herself of her situation. Here she was inside the office of the New Zealand Mental Health Association. With a sudden change of decision, she agreed towards being a part of some lineup. The seconds ticked by and more of them arrived, all of the same age as her. She wasn’t that much of a talker but was eventually obliged to meet them.

“Heol…all Koreans?” Mina was shocked.

“Hey…” A short person spoke. “…aren’t you the admiral Kang Mina, the one who was granted asylum against South Korea?”

“Who knew the news was spread here?” Mina was bemused. “But yeah. That’s me.”

“That’s fine, Yoojung.” A tall person spoke. “It was said to be irrational and lacking. There’s no justified evidence towards it.”

“Thanks, Doyeon.” Mina chuckled. “But majority of the country were hunting me down and the government knows I’ve done nothing wrong much. It was the fact that I got involved that pictured me as a wrong person.”

“Shame.” Sungyeon spoke. “But at least you’re far from the country due to the war.”

“All of us are utterly grateful,” said Yeoreum. “And speaking of grateful, I’m excited to part of a defense force for the MHA.”

“Wait a minute. We came her for that?” Yehana was shocked.

“Heard the eavesdrop from two younger women. Such an irony.” Eunchae spoke, eating a sandwich. “We’re all ’99 liners and here we are, dragged as part of a defense team by five younger women.”

“Damn.” Sungyeon hissed.

They were all called by a representative and the ’99 liners followed her. They got to an abandoned building, even catching a glimpse of a woman talking to herself by the playground. Four women came to meet them and they all greeted each other. “Greetings, everyone…Mina…”

“You know each other?” A princess-y girl spoke.

“We do, Xiyeon. We were admirals in our time.” Hyeyeon said. “Too bad she’s on her right of asylum.”

“Whatever. Anyways, why didn’t you tell us that we came here just to be part of some defense team?” Mina asked as she pointed behind them. “And for that, an asylum?”

“Someone has heard us, huh?” A cute tadpole raised an eyebrow.

“You’re too adorable to act fiercely, Somyi.” Xiyeon sighed. “Anyways, we shall follow Lua here.”

Lua led the way inside the place, resonating with the sounds of screaming women. The rest of the recruits were scared. A certain person even scared the out of Yoojung with her craziness that Lua kicked her and strapped her tight as she called the nurses to send her back to her cell.

“Mina got it right.” Hyeyeon said. “Welcome to the Ideal of Asylums, girls.”

They arrived at a large warehouse and there were more recruits and consultants just like them. They were gathered and grouped according to ages as two women went up stage with the rest of the consultants to greet them.

“Welcome to the Ideal of Asylums, a place of insanity and bedlam…in a nutshell.” A brunette spoke. “I am Jung Mimi, one of the heads of consultation. My partner, Shin Hana, is also like me but she takes charge of the Omega Zone.”

Hana bowed and met the recruits. “Nice to meet you all. I’m Shin Hana of the Omega Zone. It has been a honor for all of us for you all to come here with our consultants. Now, let us brief you all towards the agenda of your presences here in the asylum.”

All of them sat down and Hana played an inaudible video as she stood up to discuss.

“The Ideal of Asylums has been known to become the most trusted sanctuary of the sick and the insane here in New Zealand. Days and nights are filled with confusion and they are hidden beneath its bright walls. But with the bright walls come its significance…” Hana began as she paced. “…we’re here to help them off of their disabilities. The ambiance may look like the next death place of you but I assure you, we’re here to help them…”

Mina raised a hand and Hana entertains her. Mina asked. “I would like to clarify more of our presences here. Is there really a sector for defense in this asylum?”

“Good question.” Hana said as she showed another clip. “Recently, despite of the progress of healing the sick, more came with greater threats of their disorders, meaning they’re more aggressive and our facilities and social control is merely a solution.”

“That’s right. It’s the reason why you’re all here.” Mimi addressed. “The defense team is one of those concerns. But there also be the medical team, the research team, and the consultation team that will help us with out work.”

“Our consultants have recruited you all based on your skills. Only then you’ll be placed in a certain task with regards to your skill.” Hana said.

Everyone was clarified. Mina had some possibilities of her own. With her skills as an admiral, she would mostly be placed on the defense team.

“There are two zones here in the asylum: Alpha and Omega. The Alpha Zone comprises the older patients with severe conditions like clinical depression and mere thoughts of suicide. On the other hand, the Omega Zone comprises of the younger patients, usually patients with the minorities of such conditions, mild as we call it.” Mimi said.

“Now that we’ve discussed everything, we shall proceed with the division of labor.” Hana said as she gathers up the recruits.

+++

“Omega Zone.” Doyeon read.

Doyeon, Yoojung, and Mina were assigned in the said zone with the other recruits older than them. Hyeyeon was with them, guiding them inside as they pass by the hallway where in a variety of patients were seen. They were all crept out. The patients were in different cells, almost like a prison ward. There was a red-haired girl who was too hyperactive she banged the bars with her head, blood drawing out of her head.

“Yoo Yeunjung. Clinical ADHD plus hand tremors.” Hyeyeon spoke.

“Why isn’t she in the Alpha Zone?” Yoojung asked.

“She’s new. She’s the same age as you guys.” Hyeyeon answered.

There was another girl. She was tall but she had a stare that even made Yoojung hide onto Doyeon.

“Jeon Somi. She’s the youngest around here.” Sei said. “Anorexia plus a minor case of bipolarity.”

There were more that the recruits find it hard to count. One was whispering an alien language, one was freaking out as she wanted release, and even a silent person throwing her medicine, showing a devilish smirk. Their last stop was at a special cell.

“Come inside.” Lua spoke as the rest of the consultants got in.

They nodded and got to a white room. The once clear room was now filled with doodles of sharks and penguins with chopped guts. The bed was messy with blood and an empty tray was on the side. But what caught their attention was the girl on the center, her back facing them. Somyi sighed and grabbed the tray, smiling afterwards. The recruits were shocked.

“What’s this place?” Doyeon asked.

“This is one of the detaining cells. We have eleven in each zone. They are specialized for patients who experience their side effects for our research purposes. Here in the Omega Zone, she’s the only one with the privilege.” Hyeyeon explained.

“Sohye.” Sei said nicely.

The girl turned around and the recruits froze. The consultants smiled as Sohye bowed lightly and greeted, all the while she maintained a stoned face. “Hello... I..I am Sohye. N-Nice to meet you all.”

Mina watched Sohye as she looked at everyone, shocking to the fact that Sohye had a longer gaze towards her.

“Sohye can be fidgety with her speech. So, she stutters when she talks.” Somyi said.

“It seems Sohye is fond of you, Mina.” Lua observed.

“What’s her diagnosis?” Mina was curious.

“Schizophrenia.” Somyi said. “She was almost found dead and got to a foster home. But she was paranoid and her family loathed it. She was abandoned to die in the ocean when Lua found her by the coast.”

“How did you get the information?” Yoojung asked. “Her diary.” Lua said.

“I found it inside her bag and got Head Mimi to decipher it for me.”

“How did you guys even know of her diagnosis and took her here?” Mina asked.

“We know the signs, Mina. It’s how we determine our patients. Plus, Head Mimi and Head Hana are doctorates of psychology and psychiatry. They can precisely determine if one has a mental disorder and they guide us.” Hyeyeon answered. “Now, we shall discuss on your roles in our office.”

The consultants and recruits got out. Mina was the last to go out when Sohye waned like a puppy. Mina froze, checking on her. The recruits were confused as the consultants find it as a hope of recovery and a discovery that needs to be researched further.

“Mina. You’ll be assigned here in the Halfway Unit as watchdog and consultant.” Lua decided.

“What?” Mina was shocked.

“Lua has a point.” Hyeyeon said. “For Doyeon and Yoojung, you’ll join Mina in the Halfway Unit. The rest of you will follow Sei and Somyi in the office whereas the three of us will orient you.”

“Come with us to the field,” said Siyeon.

Mina nodded and wondered as Sohye waned again. As the coast was clear, she went to pat Sohye’s head gently. Sohye didn’t move nor speak but she behaved.

Why am I doing this?

Mina didn’t understand such a feeling. She was all new to this yet she wondered as she had her instinct to ease Sohye off of her worry.

“W-Will you co-come...back?” Sohye asked.

Mina gulped but the words slipped out of . “Yes. I just need to meet with the consultants.”

“Then…come back l-later.” Sohye said.

Mina lets go and Sohye went back to her spot, facing the wall. Mina went out slowly and had a hand on her forehead.

She had gotten herself towards something she can never turn back.

+++

“Schizophrenia?” Yoojung got to look at a book.

Mina snatched it off of Yoojung’s small hands as she read again. Doyeon and Yoojung were confused.

“That’s strange, Mina.” Doyeon spoke. “You seem giddy with that specific mental disorder.”

It hit Mina. She stopped reading and rubbed her temples. “I don’t know why either. It’s just that…Sohye might need the help she can get.”

“But shouldn’t we focus on the other patients? Sure Sohye needs some attention but she’s mostly in the hands and noses of the consultants, unlike with the rest of them.” Yoojung added.

“Yoojung has a point.” Doyeon said.

Mina couldn’t agree more but her senses were leading her to another thinking that she needed to address Sohye of all the patients more.

+++

It was a shocking morning for Mina. Here she was at the Halfway Unit, a tray of water and some green pill as she goes at a particular cell with respect to Hyeyeon's orders. What went shocking for her part was the start of their tasks.

Yoojung was in Somi's cell, wanting the girl to eat but she would always refuse and Yoojung would almost blow a fuse. Doyeon was in Yeunjung’s, learning some tips from Lua on how to strap any provoking patients. Yeunjung was facing the consequence due to the repulsive side of her disorder. Nonetheless, Mina got to the cell, closing the door in front of her. Mina gulped as she saw Sohye panicking.

It was different side of Sohye, the paranoid her. Mina had the urge to comfort her, putting the tray by the table and slowly inching closer towards her.

“Sohye.” Mina reaches for her carefully. “Sohye, it’s okay…”

Sohye’s was fidgeting, her teeth clenching itself by her nails as she looked around, the drawings of the gory shark and penguins she drew coming to life inside her head and haunting her. She screams again.

“Sohye.” Mina got a grip of her arm to stop her.

Sohye was silent and unmoved. Mina released and eases her with light pats. “It’s okay…”

Sohye seemed to calm down although Mina couldn’t tell. Sohye was silent almost all the time, her eyes always staring on the walls. According to the consultants, she goes paranoid in a blue moon but it was crucial during her stay in the cell. As a result, she would be detained in the other units, especially in the Crisis Unit found in the Alpha Zone, all for the purpose of stabilization.

Mina continued to ease Sohye of her worry and the patient finally calmed. Mina slowly lets go and went to get the pill and the glass of water.

“No. Drink.” Sohye spoke, her eyes dilating.

“Sohye. It’s okay…” Mina puts the pill by her hand. “…it will help you. I will help you.”

Sohye seemed assured of Mina that she became obedient and drank. Mina could smile adoringly but she was shocked of herself, especially with the sudden beat of her heart.

“Better?” Mina asked and Sohye nodded silently.

Mina got the glass back on the tray and made the motion to go when Sohye waned again. Mina froze then faced her.

“Don’t…go…” Sohye tried to speak.

That was the last straw as she puts the tray back on the table.

+++

“Sohye has improved with healing.” Xiyeon jotted down.

The other consultants nodded as Sohye stopped drawing the gory shark and penguins and was indulging on the food Mina sent her.

“You were with her, Mina?” Hyeyeon asked.

Mina lowered her head as the rest of the consultants reacted. “Yes. The CCTV helped in some way, huh?”

“Technically yes.” Lua nodded.

“Hmmm…you could become part of the research team with this case.” Hyeyeon said. “Sohye was never obedient but it changed when you came and visit her during the assignments I give you.”

“Does this mean I’m moved to another team?” Mina asked.

“We’ll let our Eunice-nim decide for that.” Somyi asked.

“Who’s that person?” Mina asked.

“Eunice-nim is the CEO of the Ideal of Asylums. She studied with our heads and actually decides everything there is of this asylum, from who to recruit to which patient will be detained with respect to psychological standards.” Somyi said.

“She never makes frequent visits here since she’s always busy in the office.” Xiyeon added. “And about your assignment, you’ll also be added to the research team.”

“Who handles it?” Mina asked once more.

“I do.” Xiyeon said. “I’ll be liable of you. Now, may you accompany Sohye today?”

Mina nodded and the consultants went. Mina got inside the cell as Sohye stopped eating and looked at her. Mina could chuckle of her cuteness.

“You haven’t finished eating yet.” Mina said as she pats Sohye’s head. “Eat some more.”

A single bite of her sandwich heeded that instruction and Mina chuckled again, getting Sohye’s tray. She got towards the door when Sohye waned again. Mina faced her and spoke. “I just need to get this back.”

“Come. Back.” Sohye spoke.

Mina nodded and made a run towards the kitchen, her desire of getting back to Sohye igniting.

+++

All patients are required to gather around the quadrangle for social support groupings. Requesting all consultants and staff to our patients. That would be all.

Sohye wondered, pointing at a speaker above the door. Mina was there with her as she comforts her and said, “We’re going out to socialize, Sohye-ya. Come on.”

Mina helps her up and Sohye willingly follows her. Hyeyeon and Xiyeon made a stop by the cell and they went out together. Xiyeon also checked the rest of the staff and patients and made sure everyone was going to the quadrangle as instructed. As they got there, it was noisy, especially with the repulsive ones from the Alpha Zone. And Yeunjung had to add with the noise.

“Ah…such a voice.” Hyeyeon rubbed her ears. “Is Doyeon restraining her?”

“Lua and Sei helped her.” Xiyeon said. “Eunice-nim has made her decision final.”

“She’ll be in the Alpha Zone now?” Mina asked.

“Yes. That will also cost Doyeon her stay in the Omega Zone.” Hyeyeon said.

Hana and Mimi came and told the consultants to gather the patients. All of them were lined up based on their zones and units. Sohye was last on her line for she felt uncomfortable when Mina wasn’t by her side. Mina was at the back of Sohye, meters away.

“Is it me or our respective patients are recovering because of our presences?” Yoojung was by Mina's right as she spoke.

“You too?” Mina asked.

“Yeah.” Yoojung nodded. “I thought Somi would be hard-headed but she’s finally eating.”

“I see. Somi's gained weight.” Mina said. “She’s not the skinny pole anymore.”

“Sohye has calmed too. Naturally, she wouldn’t want company of others.” Yoojung said.

“That’s true. But I’m happy she finally opens up. Well, she stutters a lot but there’s progress, at least.” Mina said.

“That’s because of you, Mina.” Yoojung chuckled.

Mina looked at Sohye again and felt a thump. It was almost unnatural. How could she fall in love with someone who’s mentally unstable? Then again, love knows no bounds, right?

+++

It was another noisy night but was always silent inside a particular cell. Mina was watching silently at Sohye again. She was doodling a cute drawing and Mina was thankful that it wasn’t any more of those gory sharks and penguins. And the progress was always the same, silent but effective.

“Sohye?” Mina called.

Sohye stopped and faced Mina. Mina got closer and checked the time. “It’s nine in the evening. Why don’t you sleep now?”

Sohye seemed to get the gist and got to bed. Mina nods and decided to go back to her camp. And she cussed at herself for stopping because of Sohye’s waning. But she couldn’t stay any longer. She’ll just get the silent treatment anyway.

“Don’t go.”

Hyeyeon arrived and sighed of seeing Mina by the door. Mina saw her and greeted her.

“I’ll take it from here.” Hyeyeon said. “Go and rest for tonight.”

Mina nodded. As she stepped out, Sohye joined the noise of the other patients as she cried and screamed. Mina could tear up as she went off.

+++

Another day came. Patients were given the opportunity to socialize for treatment and the staff had gotten themselves busy. For Mina and Yoojung, they were in the quadrangle watching Somi and Sohye with two other kids.

“How’s Doyeon?” Mina asked. “Got any news from her?”

“Still in the Crisis Unit. Yeunjung is just too repulsive. Even Eunice-nim came to the unit to assess Yeunjung the hard way.” Yoojung said.

“Really?” Mina was shocked.

Yoojung could only nod and watched Somi over. Mina went back to look at Sohye, just smiling at the others playing around. Mina couldn’t help but smile too.

“New patient~”

“Yehana~” Yoojung and Mina greeted.

“Hey, guys. I just got back from the Open Unit and Eunice-nim and the heads got a new patient welcomed here.” Yehana guided a woman. “This is Lucy.”

“Hello…” Lucy looked down as she bowed.

Mina and Yoojung greeted back. Mina noticed the many scars on her wrist, even by her ankles. She faces Yehana. “Depression?”

“Yeah. According to Eunice-nim, she needs to socialize so I brought her here.” Yehana said. “I’m on sentry duty for this kid.”

Yehana lets Lucy go as she went closer. Somi noticed her and socialized with her. The other kids, Kyla and Rina, joined in and welcomed Lucy. Then they went to play.

“Sohye isn’t interacting.” Yehana observed.

“Just let her be.” Mina said. “Any interference could disturb her.”

They watched Somi go closer to Sohye. Sohye was distressed, shaking her head. Somi would pull her up and then, it went out of control that Mina and Yoojung went to stop them. Rina, Lucy and Kyla were distressed that Yehana had to call the consultants.

Sohye was flipping out as she held the bloody pencil. Somi cried as her eye bled.

“What in the…” Hana arrived with the consultants. “…break them apart.”

Yoojung sent Somi back to the Halfway Unit as Xiyeon went with them to get Somi’s eye mended. Mina still held Sohye as she began to calm down. Hana then got closer and injected anesthesia, causing Sohye to become unconscious.

“Mina. You’re coming with me.” Hana said sternly. “We’re taking Sohye to the Crisis Unit. Yehana, get Sungyeon to come here. You two will be watching over the kids.”

Mina and Yehana obeyed and did their tasks. Mina carried Sohye like a bride instead as Hana led her.

“Hana-nim…what will happen to Sohye?”

“She’ll be detained in the Crisis Unit like Yeunjung. But if she’ll be a good girl within our procedures, she'll be transferred back to the Halfway Unit as soon as possible.” Hana said. “A sudden attack like that hasn’t happened before. The drug may heal her schizophrenia slowly but it had a side effect of repulsion. And with Somi engaging socialization, it must’ve triggered her.”

“I do apologize, Hana-nim. I wasn’t watchful enough.” Mina said.

“That’s alright. It’s part of our research. There will be flaws but it’s our duty to resolve them.” Hana said.

They arrived at the Alpha Zone. Mina thought it was hell as she was seeing a horrific sight. Most of the patients were more repulsive compared to Yeunjung, with one struggling within her restraints.

“That’s Seola, the eldest of all patients here. Crucial bipolarity but her ups are most frequent. Heard of the late consultant Exy?” Hana began. “She killed her with a scalpel.”

“That’s horrible.” Mina spoke.

“Stone Nayoung.” She points at another patient. “Same condition but her downs are more visible.” They got to the Crisis Unit. A tall brunette was there and Hana bowed. Mina did the same lightly.

“Hana, is that Sohye?” She asked.

“Yes, Eunice-nim.” Hana answered. “She had gotten herself in a situation.”

“Kang Mina, right?” Eunice asked.

“Yes, Eunice-nim.” Mina nodded.

Eunice instructs Mina to place Sohye on one of the beds. Sohye was placed as Mina and Hana secured the straps. Mina stopped to see Yeunjung on the other bed. Receptors were placed on both sides of their heads as Mina wondered of the procedure.

“Just an little jolt by the brain for stimulation.” Eunice said.

“But what’s with the restraints?” Mina asked.

“Safety precaution.” Eunice answered. “There are instances that the stimulation acquires other side effects, especially with tremors and sudden reflexes.”

Hana got the machine ready and Mina watched. The process of the machine took some time but the stimulation was done in seconds. Mina observed Sohye going numb that she worried.

“She’s calm.” Eunice observed. “She’s fine. You may take her back to the Halfway Unit.”

Mina nodded and carried Sohye once more, walking slowly away from the Alpha Zone as she decided to go back to Sohye’s cell.

During the walk, she made it slow and long because of a feeling by her chest, like she wanted to be with her for as long as she could. She held her tighter in a tender manner and looked onto a precious face.

“Mina.” Yoojung saw her.

“Hey.” Mina greeted. “How’s Somi?”

Hyeyeon and Xiyeon guided Somi back to her cell and she panicked seeing Sohye in Mina's arms. The three made action to send Somi back to her cell as much as Mina did. Mina got to Sohye's cell and laid her to bed.

“There…all tucked.” Mina mumbled as she laid the blanket on top of Sohye.

Mina exited the cell and sighed, sitting by the door. She tries to relieve herself. And the noises of patients helped.

“Mina!” Yoojung went to comfort her. “You okay?”

“Yeah.” Mina nodded as she wiped the sweat off of her brow.

It was madness inside Mina's conscience. Resisting her feelings for a patient and working within the four walls of bedlam was taking a toll on her.

+++

*ring*

Mina jolted up. Yoojung and Doyeon did too as the voice of Hana was heard.

Paging Kang Mina, Choi Yoojung, and Kim Doyeon, please proceed to the Halfway Unit immediately.

The three got up and readied themselves, instantly proceeding to the Halfway Unit, almost breathless. They met Hana and the other consultants. They greeted them with a bow.

“Get Sohye and Somi out now.” Eunice said. “Doyeon, come with me to the Alpha Zone to get Yeunjung.”

Doyeon obeyed and went with her. Yoojung and Mina did their tasks, going to the respective cells. Mina got inside and there was a silent Sohye once more. But seeing Mina, Sohye somehow reacted.

“Morning.” Sohye spoke.

Mina was shocked but her heart felt light hearing her speak. “Good morning, Sohye.”

Sohye noticed Mina draw closer, helping her up. She wondered. “Where…we…going?”

Mina would be overwhelmed of Sohye speaking like this but she had a task at hand. “Somewhere. Trust me.”

“Okay.” Sohye spoke.

Mina held Sohye’s hand gently and they got out surely. Yoojung was with Somi but she cowered seeing Sohye. Mina restricted Sohye assuringly, fearing that Sohye might rage on Somi. But Sohye got closer and lowered her head. “Sorry…”

“Is she apologizing to Somi?” Yoojung asked. “It seems so.” Mina answered. “We’ll have to inform Eunice-nim of this. Come on. Let’s take them to the quadrangle.”

+++

Yoojung and Mina met Doyeon together with their patients. The patients were lined up again and they stayed at the back, with Mina maintaining a distance closer to Sohye.

“Good day, everyone.” Eunice greeted. “I have called you all here for an important assessment.” She shows off a list. “The following patients gathered here at this very moment are inquired for a validity check. This will test whether the patients are fit enough to be transferred to the Open Unit for healing then release.”

Mina knew about the Open Unit as much as the rest of the people do. It was a unit in the Omega Zone for recovering patients. They would be sent there for final assessments and checkups before release. If it were given the classification for patients, they needed to be clear from their crucial stages of their disorders and show vital signs of sanity and reinforcement.

She saw some from the Alpha Zone, like Stone Nayoung and Yeunjung. So far, Somi and Sohye were the decent ones from the Omega Zone.

“Consultants, proceed to the veranda.” Eunice instructed.

They all obeyed but Mina didn’t want to leave Sohye behind. She was ended up being pulled by Yoojung as they went up. They all lined up and managed to greet the other consultant by the name of Kyulkyung. They watched the patients from below and Mina felt uneasy.

“Who knew we’d all be assigned towards special patients?” Kyulkyung spoke. “Me with Nayoung and Doyeon with Yeunjung. Same case with you two, huh?”

“Me with Somi then Mina with Sohye.” Yoojung answered.

“Mina?” Doyeon noticed her friend going uneasy.

Mina wasn’t paying attention to them as her senses were all on Sohye. Sure it was nice seeing her interact with the rest of the patients and that she was a candidate towards sanity but she was worried. What if Sohye will react? What would happen if she notices Mina’s absence?

And curse the cosmos for letting her prediction happen.

Mina?

Oh, how she felt a thump by her chest and that she found Sohye’s voice soothing. She could cry out for joy because Sohye managed to say a name, her name, with no stutters and pauses.

“Impressive.” Eunice commented. “I made the right choice of putting you in the research team, Kang Mina.”

Mina? Where…

“She’s looking for me.” Mina spoke. “Eunice-nim, I need to get down there.”

Eunice grants her permission and Mina ran hastily. Sohye kept on looking around. Nayoung got closer when she raged and flipped out again.

“Oh no.” Mina ran faster towards the ground floor.

She saw the pathway towards the quadrangle and ran as fast as she could. She got inside and Sohye was close to stabbing a sharp pencil towards Nayoung when she saw Mina.

“M-Mi-Mina.” Sohye stuttered.

“Sohye…” Mina spoke gently and drew closer. “…put the pencil down. I’m right here. Don’t be afraid.”

Sohye dropped that pencil and Mina went to get it. She got to Sohye’s place and encountered something unexpected.

Sohye hugged Mina.

The assessment is over. Mina, take Sohye to the Open Unit. Consultants, take you respective patient to the Open Unit as well.

The world stood still for the both of them. Mina saw motioning silhouettes but she was too immersed onto the hug. But then, she had her senses awakened as she decided to carry Sohye back to the Open Unit.

The walk was slow once more, with every step slow and significant than the last. Mina would avert her gazes simultaneously towards her way and to Sohye's face. Seeing Sohye calm herself within her presence was almost an honor. But Mina thought things differently, all the while she hoped. Nonetheless, they got back to Sohye’s cell. Mina placed Sohye on her bed gently, letting her sit up. Mina made the motion to go when Sohye held her arm, stopping her.

“Mina…where…” Sohye tried to speak.

“Sohye.” Mina faced her. “I need to rest for a bit.”

“B-But…” “I’ll come back tomorrow.” Mina said.

Sohye shook her head. Mina looked away, sighing.

“Please?”

*badump*

Who knew mere feelings from the heart affect a person in an unexplainable way? That was what Mina was feeling as she sat next to Sohye. What caught her off guard again was that Sohye leaned onto her. Mina smiled, wrapping an arm around Sohye as she hugged her closer.

“Oh, Sohye…” Mina mumbled as Sohye fell asleep. “…if only you know how I feel about you.”

+++

Another day and another dose of hope has come to Mina. Her heart wasn’t stopping her this time as she got herself ready, going to the Open Unit to see Sohye. As she got there, Hyeyeon was already by Sohye’s cell as she examined her.

“Hyeyeon.” Mina bowed.

“Morning, Mina.” Hyeyeon said. “Someone’s active today.”

“How’s Sohye?” Mina asked.

“She didn’t get any proper sleep. Anyways, I saw the footage earlier, Mina.” Hyeyeon added a smirk. “Who knew that the recruit has fallen herself for the schizophrenic patient?”

“It’s not what you think.” Mina defended. “And even if it was, Sohye doesn’t have feelings for me…”

Sohye was inexpressible with her emotions because of her disorder. But Mina didn’t mind of it. Then again, with Sohye’s progress of healing herself, Mina had hoped of getting an answer from Sohye.

“She couldn’t express it but she feels it, Mina.” Hyeyeon commented. “Remember that she’s mentally disable. Expression of emotions is hard for her but in time, she’ll give you an answer that you long for.”

“Heol…someone’s the expert.” Mina commented back.

“Duh. I didn’t take psychology and psychiatry for nothing. And besides…” Hyeyeon spoke as she opened the door. “…I felt the same way towards a fellow consultant.”

“Xiyeon?” Mina asked.

“Just shut up and be with Sohye.” Hyeyeon points her to get in.

Mina nodded and got in as Hyeyeon left. Mina checked on Sohye and she looked different. She was vibrant and decent looking. Mina thought she was so beautiful.

“Mina.” Sohye called and smiled.

“Sohye. Good morning.” Mina went to pat her head.

“For…you…” Sohye hands her something.

Mina received it and chuckled. It was a drawing of the two of them. “Aigoo…thank you.”

She folds it and keeps it in her pocket. Sohye was silent again but Mina decided to step up and help her within the course of her healing.

+++

Weeks turned into years in the Ideal of Asylums. Patients came and went yet Sohye was still in the Open Unit. Mina was still on duty, mostly prioritizing Sohye. It was Valentine’s Day. Eunice held a celebration for everyone inside the asylum. Most of the celebration was in the Open Unit as the patients there were already fine. A few days more and they’ll be released.

Nayoung was smiling and got a rose for Kyulkyung. Yeunjung was still hyper but at a right course of time. She became gentle and interactive with the other patients. Doyeon changed her in a way she can never thought it was possible but she was grateful and giving her a card flattered Doyeon. Somi became vibrant and gained weight and wasn’t the skinny pole. She was the most precious of the patients as she had her inquisitive spirit back. She had a spot for Yoojung that she would cuddle the midget gently. Yoojung would laugh.

And there was Sohye. She wasn’t the stuttering girl anymore. She would pause sometimes but she speaks properly now. Not only that, she had gone used to any environment and got along with everyone, especially with the patients. Mina adored her and she used this opportunity to say her feelings.

“Let’s hear a speech from our Sohye. Round of applause everyone.”

Sohye got to the center and everyone was anticipating. Sohye cleared as she spoke. “I used to be K-K-Kim Sohye…but not anymore.”

Everyone had their reactions. Mina could cry at the back because she was proud of her.

“Living up as a person who has lost everything and risen up as a person who could never live herself up on reality, I thought that the present life would be the last of me. But such wonderful people helped me.” She points out to all of them. “I couldn’t count the times on how thankful I am due to me incompetence to comprehend and speak my feelings enough but I’m saying this now.” She bows. “Thank you…”

The consultants shed tears of Sohye’s little speech. No pauses, no stutters, and no violent reactions. It was perfect. But for Mina, it was something that triggered her to walk out of the room. Sohye noticed it and she grew worried.

“Where did Mina go?” Doyeon asked.

Sohye gulped and went out to look for her. Mina stopped by the quadrangle and paced.

She couldn’t understand her feelings. There she was, all proud of Sohye for her recovery. And here she was again, all jealous and frustrated. She expected too much. She thought Sohye would finally say her true feelings once she recovers. She couldn’t fathom of what she expected. Was she assuming or was she just desperate?

“Mina?” Mina turned back and there was Sohye.

Her heart was beating frantically once more as Sohye got closer.

“Why did you leave?” Sohye asked. “You didn’t like my speech?”

“Sohye, it’s not like that.” Mina answered. “I just needed some air, that’s all.”

“Mina.” Sohye called. “I’m happy that I’m finally getting out of here with the rest of the patients.”

“Me too.” Mina got closer. “And I hope you live a new and wonderful life soon.”

“I’m planning to go back to Korea.” Sohye said, smiling.

“That’s great…” Mina lied.

Seriously? She’s going back?

“Uhh…Sohye?” Mina spoke, holding her hand. “I have something to tell you.”

“What is it?” Sohye asked.

“I…” Mina gulped, lowering her head lightly. “…I like you.”

Goddamnit.

Sohye took a while to comprehend when she replied. “I like you too. You’re the best consultant I had encountered. I couldn’t thank you enough for always being there for me.”

Sohye hugged her. A thump was present because of the hug but a part of Mina's heart was broken. It seems that her expectation was just a mere thought inside her head. Sohye can go back and she couldn’t. Maybe they weren’t destined to be together.

+++

It was the time for release. The said patients decided to go back to Korea and the Ideal of Asylums accommodated everything for their travel. They boarded on a private jet and Sohye was the last on the line. However, she froze.

“Sohye, what’s wrong?” Kyulkyung asked.

“Where’s Mina?” Sohye asked.

“She’s on leave. She’s at her home resting.” Kyulkyung answered again.

“Will she come with us?” Sohye asked. “Will she come with me to Korea?”

“Sohye…” Kyulkyung grew serious. “…Mina can’t come with you.”

“What do you mean?” Sohye grew worried.

“Ten minutes.” Eunice reminded the two.

Kyulkyung nodded as she and Sohye decided to sit down by the waiting area and talk. “Sohye…Mina has been granted the right of asylum. It’s the reason why she can’t come with you.” Kyulkyung began. “Mina had involved herself in a crime in Korea. Half of the people are her enemies and they’ll do anything to hunt her down but the Republic granted her protection. But then, she can’t go back to her country not until she’s proven innocent.”

“Does this mean…she can’t come with me?” Sohye was tearing up.

“Sohye, I’m sorry…she can’t…” Kyulkyung finished.

A sudden realization came into her mind and she sniffled.

How can she see it now? How can she realizes her true feelings for Mina just now? How could she not confess on that day? How could she ignore such feeling after all Mina did for her? And how could she have the desire to go back when Mina can’t go back with her?

“One minute.” Eunice spoke.

“Eunice-nim.” Sohye said. “I’m not going.”

“What?” Eunice was shocked. “You’re staying here?”

“Eunice-nim…” Sohye spoke again. “…I’m staying with Mina.”

+++

A sickening sound of guns and shaky resonation filled one shabby room. It was almost like a pigsty, the bed all soiled with disgusting sheets and wastes of food were everywhere like a cornucopia of the likes of pests. A pair of brown eyes looked at the messy screen of various pixelated hues as she got up and turned the television off.

Mina was down. Sohye was well and was reported to go back to Korea at this moment. She didn’t want to say goodbye face to face. Seeing her leave might just be the death of her. A knock was heard and Mina had to avert herself back to reality. She huffed and fixed the place hastily before getting to the door. Seeing the person shocked her.

“Sohye…what are you…” Mina was almost speechless.

Sohye didn’t say anything more and hugged her. Mina heard her sniffle.

“I can’t go…” Sohye spoke. “…not without you…”

Those words sufficed Mina’s desire of an answer from Sohye. Mina could cry and hug her back.

Mina was happy. Her feelings towards a patient led her to have her.


Hey, guys. asahdako's back with this collection. A certain reader commented of a plot and gave hints so I decided to write this for him/her. I am planning to give the reader two stories since I made a previous one last year. I'll post this first and post the other one later.

Anyways, hope you like this one. :))))