My Match

IOI Shikshins One-Shot Collection

I couldn't recall much of the first five years of my existence but in the contrary, I seem to recall times wherein both of my parents were doing their lovey-dovey stuff in front of me. 

My parents, Kim Sejeong and Kim Doyeon were married in the year 1997. Eomma Doyeon gave birth to me two years after. I visualized the times I had with them, from Eomma Doyeon's look when she was feeding me to Eomma Sejeong's scrunched up face when she changed my diaper. Such wonderful memories I had. Yet, there were most times that they were really affectionate. Me, still a five year old, I wonder why they'd do such things in front of me?

Was this the all-knowing effect of matrimony?

---

I couldn't recall much of the first five years of my existence but in the contrary, I seem to recall times wherein both of my parents were doing their lovey-dovey stuff in front of me.

Lim Nayoung and Jung Chaeyeon were the best parents I could ever ask for. I would recall when Eomma Nayoung and Eomma Chaeyeon talked about their love story back when I was still a cute toddler. Both of my parents were also well-connected, composed, and somehow stoic in some points. They were also insecure of each other before but me, despite of being a five-year old, I was a bit aware of such ideas.

Not only that, they were showing their lovey-dovey stuff in front of me. They were awkward at first but somehow, they were displaying affection. Why, though? Is this how married couples are?

---

"Penguin~" Mina called her friend by the bus stop.

Sohye looked to the side to see Mina. She waved at her then patted a space next to her, signalling Mina to sit next to her in which Mina was obliged to do so.

"What are you doing here? Aren't your parents picking you up?" Mina asked as she sat down.

"No. Eomma Sejeong's still at work plus Eomma Doyeon won't come back home until evening." Sohye answered. "I'll be taking the bus...alone."

"You shouldn't be going home alone. Why don't you come with me and my mommies?" Mina suggested, holding Sohye's hand.

"It's fine, Mina. I got my ticket already so...I'll just wait here." Sohye said.

"Then I'll wait with you." Mina pouted, staying by Sohye's side.

"Come on, Mina. Your parents are going to pick you up." Sohye answered. "You can't let them wait -"

"You can't make me." Mina pouted again as she held Sohye's arm. "I'm not going until you got to board the bus."

Mina holds Sohye's arm as they wait for the bus. Sohye sighed and just watched her fellow classmates getting picked up by their parents. She was like them, of course but today was not her lucky day. Even though her parents should have the obligation to pick her up but Sohye understood that their work was for her future.

Sohye continued to wait as she looked at Mina who was clinging to her. Sohye chuckled and asked. "What's with the clinging?"

"No reason. I just want to." Mina said. "Well, to be honest, I like to do it to you because you're special to me. I remember what Eomma Nayoung told me that you do things like these to someone you care the most."

"I thought only married couples do it." Sohye spoke innocently.

"Well...maybe we'll get married someday." Mina said back.

Sohye almost gagged but she and Mina just chuckled. Sohye's bus came as much as Mina's parents came from work. 

"Eomma~" Mina went to tackle the beautiful women for a hug.

Chaeyeon hugged her daughter as she got a piggyback from Nayoung. Chaeyeon also made a stop to hug Sohye.

"Imonie~" Sohye also hugged the woman back.

"Where are your mommies? Aren't they picking you up?" Chaeyeon asked.

"No, Imonie. I'm taking the bus." Sohye answered as she shows her ticket to Chaeyeon.

"Alone?! Are you going to be alright. How about we take you home-"

"I'm sure Sejeong told her to do that, Chae. I'd do the same to Mina, you know." Nayoung said.

"And you won't. Her safety's my number one priority," said Chaeyeon.

"I thought I was number one." Nayoung mumbled.

Chaeyeon could almost slap Nayoung for being too cheesy but all she could do was lower her head lightly, hearing the children chuckle, especially Mina.

As much as Sohye wanted to have fun, she had to go. She bids Mina's family goodbye as she got in the bus.

"Take care. Call Mina if you got home." Nayoung said.

"I'll be calling your parents later, Sohye. Take care." Chaeyeon said.

"Call me." Mina waved, showing her crescent smiles.

Sohye responded as she waved back. Mina watched the bus leave as she was sat on her little seat on the back of their car. Nayoung lets Chaeyeon sit on the front passenger's seat first the got to hers, starting the car as they head home.

During the ride, Mina talked a lot of events to her parents. Chaeyeon was always eager to listen as Nayoung would give her comments.

"Speaking of which, we should teach Mina how to go home on the bus." Nayoung said.

"No." Chaeyeon said. "Not until Mina grows older."

"I think it would be fun, Eomma. Pleaaase~" Mina spoke cutely.

"It's a bus. There are strangers and you're still five years old." Chaeyeon reasoned.

"Sohye handled it." Nayoung chuckled. "Sejeong's parenting skills are lit."

"That Ahjusshi should really take great concern of Sohye. Sure it's for teaching Sohye to do things independently but she's five, for Pete's sake." Chaeyeon reasoned back.

Mina could chuckle, watching her parents argue sometimes. She felt her phone vibrate as she got a text from Sohye.

-I got home safely. Eomma Doyeon was worried sick plus she scolded Eomma Sejeong for letting me take the bus alone. Kekeke-

"Doyeon texted me." Chaeyeon added. "She scolded the Ahjusshi. Haha..."

Nayoung chuckled as they drove. Mina replied to Sohye's text as she smiled. For Mina, Sohye was important to her. With that, she was excited to see Sohye in school again.

===

"Sohye-ya!!"

A ten-year old Kim Sohye got a call from her friend. The penguin girl looked to the side to see her hyperactive friend, Yoo Yeunjung.

"What is it, Yeunjung-ah?" Sohye asked.

"Mina here to see you." Yeunjung spoke as she points at a cutie by their classroom door.

Sohye nodded as she went towards the door, getting a hug from the cutie. Sohye could only chuckle as she hugged her best friend back.

She got a good look at her and noticed her cute yet sad expression. "What's the matter?"

"That." Mina points at Yeunjung as Sohye looked to where Mina was pointing at.

Yeunjung was sharing about her said girlfriend. She even mentioned Sohye was her best friend, making Mina cringe. She held onto Sohye as they went out of the classroom talking random stuff.

Sohye had a wonderful time with Mina as they sat and talked. Then, they saw a familiar girl, in the same level as theirs, who went to Yeunjung and they shared their moment which look like a public display of affection.

"Forever?" Yeunjung asked.

"Forever." The girl replied.

Mina raised an eyebrow looking at Yeunjung and her girlfriend sharing pecks on the forehead. As much as she wants to scold them for their PDA, she had nothing to do much about it. Technically, they were in an all-girls school so...

"Literally..." Sohye coughed and Mina could almost laugh of her remarks. "Displaying of each other's affection shouldn't be so bad but literally, that's shocking." 

"Yeah." Mina laughed lightly. "Who's she?"

"She's Taeha," said Sohye.

"Full name?"

"Kim Taeha, Yeunjung's girlfriend. Such relationship goals, though because...they're both singers." Sohye said.

Mina could almost laugh sarcastically but she did it like a dork, trying to resist her loud laughs with some snorts, getting laughs from Sohye.

"What?" Mina asked.

"What? I didn't say anything." Sohye chuckled.

"Then why are you looking at me like I have a zit on my face?" Mina asked.

"Because you're beautiful." Sohye said as she inches closer to Mina's face. "And I like looking at beautiful people."

Mina snorted as she places a hand on Sohye's face, making the penguin girl laugh hard. 

"Let me share something." Sohye spoke as Mina leaned her head on her shoulder. "See I decided a while back, not being able to deny what Eomma Sejeong told me of lovey-dovey stuff, PDA is sometimes a factor couples cannot resist."

"Well, Eomma Nayoung said that to me too but let's get things clear. I'm not beautiful." Mina spoke.

"Sohye-ya~!" Sohye looked as Yoojung waved.

"Hey, Yoojung-ya." Sohye waved back.

Sohye went back to Mina's attention as she got a pout of jealousy from Mina. "Now what?"

"Don't talk to girls like that. They flirt with you." Mina mumbled.

"Don't get jealous, Mina. Our fellow pupils of all people know that we have this symbiotic relationship. So don't mind, okay?" Sohye said to her.

"Fine." Mina mumbled again. "But don't do that again."

"I like it when you say it." Yeunjung said.

"No. I like it when you say it." Taeha spoke back.

"Okay...forever." Yeunjung said again.

Taeha replied as they share a peck on the lips. Mina was still intrigued yet pissed of what she's seeing as she asks Sohye. "What's with the forever?"

"Forever is a thing like they'll be together forever, like in some love stories and like how married couples do their vows and what not." Sohye answered. "And you know, Yeunjung shares stuff about her and Taeha, like they texted each other for millions of times this year."

Yeunjung and Taeha went somewhere private and Mina and Sohye felt it was going down the drain. How creepy...

"Gosh...I hope they don't do that." Mina mumbled.

"Yeah, you hear that." Sohye mumbled back. "You've got no class now? We should go and eat. My treat!"

Mina got cheerful as she pulled Sohye. The penguin girl went back to get her back before she got pulled by her best friend again.

"Come with me to get my bag," said Mina.

"Fine."

---

"Eomma, you can't make me." Mina mumbled.

"Of course we can. We're your parents." Nayoung said, hastily making a sandwich.

"Come on, Mina. We've been through this. Get in the car so you can make friends and be the ten-year old girl that you need to be." Chaeyeon said.

"Eomma, if you want me to be a full-fledged ten-year old, you don't send me to lame camps. Can I be like Sohye who goes on extreme adventures?" Mina complained again.

"Uh...you do realize you can't go on extreme adventures due to your asthma." Nayoung chuckled, munching a sandwich as Chaeyeon sighed lightly.

"See, that's the thing, Eomma. You said so before when Sohye went on a bus alone. " Mina spoke as Nayoung lets out a little laugh.

"Okay. Fun and games are up. Please get in the car, Mina." Chaeyeon instructed. "You're going. Besides, Sohye will be there."

Mina pouted and did a cute sound. Nayoung and Chaeyeon could squeal of their daughter's cuteness but realizing that their little girl was already growing, they could only squeal lightly.

"Stop it, Eomma Nayoung, Eomma Chaeyeon." Mina mumbled as she went to get in the car.

---

Sohye was rushing with her big backpack as Sejeong and Doyeon help her pack. Sejeong was busy with her daughter's backpack as Doyeon gave her kisses on the cheek while fixing her bangs.

"Eomma." Sohye blushed as she felt embarrassed of being pampered by her parents a lot.

"Hey. Don't fidget a lot, my little Sohye." Sejeong said with her Ahjusshi voice as she fixes Sohye's straps.

"Mind your mother, Sohye-ya." Doyeon said, pinching her cheeks. "Alright. Got everything ready?"

"Ne." Sohye nodded. "I even got some spare batteries for my flashlight.

"Even for your portable gaming console?" Doyeon asked.

"It's camping, Doyeon-ah. She doesn't need technology in the forest," said Sejeong.

"I know, baby." Doyeon said to Sejeong as she kissed Sohye's forehead. "Do good. And be careful."

"Okay." Sohye nods as they heard a honk. "Omo-Mina and her family are here. Bye!!"

Sohye rushes outside with Sejeong and Doyeon going outside, meeting their old friends, Nayoung and Chaeyeon. Mina went to tackle Sohye for a hug as Sohye chuckled and hugged Mina back.

"Someone's excited," said Sohye.

"Of course. I'm spending camp with classmates, especially with my best friend." Mina said, hugging Sohye again.

Sohye felt the same. She was happy that Mina will be coming and hoped for a good time in camping.

---

Sohye and Mina had a great time. Mina wasn't much of a outdoor person but with Sohye, she had fun putting up tents, making fire, and eating smores. 

One day, they were having an activity. Mina pouted as she watched her best friend compete with Yeunjung. With her asthma, she wasn't allowed to be strenuous. She could only scream and support Sohye, who was actually winning.

But then this happened. Mina gasped as she saw Sohye getting mocked by the other pupils. One of them, their leader, stops Yeunjung from protecting Sohye as the rest of the pupils didn't want to involve. Mina was outraged as she went to their leader and pulled her hair.

"Don't you dare do that to my best friend!" Mina yelled as she slapped the leader's face.

The leader fought with Mina as the rest backed their leader up. Sohye gulped as she gritted her teeth and went to get Mina out of the crowd.

She feared for the worst and the worst had to happen: Mina was hyperventilating.

"Hello?!" Sohye grabbed her phone and helped Mina towards her bag, getting her inhaler. "911. I need a pulmonary doctor. We're at the forest near the Busan sign. My name's Kim Sohye. We're inside a camp here. I'm from SWU."

---

The fight was settled. Yeunjung told the truth as the bullies were suspended and we're sent home. Mina was resting as the doctor helped her with her condition. The teacher and pupils admired Sohye for her initiative for calling help plus Mina's parents.

Nayoung was the only one to go since Chaeyeon was busy with work. She got an explanation from Sohye and she thanked Sohye for backing her daughter up. She made a talk with the teacher as Sohye was by Mina's side.

"Sohye-ya." Nayoung called as Sohye went closer. "Thank you for protecting my baby girl. I know Mina wouldn't like it if I send her back home so...she can stay here and continue enjoy camping."

"Okay, Imonie. I'll take care of her until we get home." Sohye assured her.

"Thank you." Nayoung said as she kissed Sohye's forehead. "I need to go now, okay? Take care of Mina for me."

Sohye nodded as Nayoung left. She sighed and looked at Mina who was still resting. She decided to let Mina rest in peace when...

"Sohye-ya..." Mina woke and managed to hold Sohye's arm before she could actually go. "Stay here..."

Sohye couldn't say no to her best friend as she sat next to her. Mina rolled to one side, facing her best friend. "How did I..."

"You fainted. You hyperventilated a while ago. You fought against those bullies mocking me." Sohye answered she gives Mina her worrisome look. "Don't you ever do that again. I was panicking despite of my fidelity, Mina. I feared that you were going to...*sigh*...nevermind."

"I'm sorry to make you worry." Mina apologized, her eyes in the brink of crying. "I didn't mean to. I just didn't like my best friend to be bullied like that. Even if you say that you can handle it, I don't want to see you resisting back there. I wanted to protect you after everything you did for me to make sure I wouldn't hyperventilate."

Sohye sighed as she held Mina's hand. "Okay, okay. I'm sorry for being such a sourpuss."

Mina chuckled as she got up and hugged Sohye tight. "Can you sleep here with me?"

"I'd love to but...what would the others think?" Sohye asked.

"They'll understand. We've been close since we were kids." Mina said.

Sohye was still skeptical. But with Mina's pleads and pouts, Sohye couldn't say no. She laid down with Mina as the cutie cuddled onto her best friend.

"You're the best, Sohye-ya. Thank you for always being there for me." Mina mumbled.

"You too. I'm eternally grateful for your act of heroism." Sohye mumbled back.

Mina slept in Sohye's arms. Sohye could only look down as she admired Mina.

Technically, she admired Mina for so long. But figuring out the circumstances of them falling in love or her falling in love with Mina, she wasn't going to risk their friendship. As long as they're together as friends only, she was contented to that.

===

Mina was having dinner with her family after getting home from her high school. The topic was about a holiday in China. Mina listened to Chaeyeon and Nayoung as they had their conversations all while sharing their display of affection.

Mina was munching her lettuce when she heard her phone ring. She grabbed it from her lap as she got a text from Sohye.

-Tell me that my parents are missing a quarter of their memories in terms of PDA-

Mina chuckled as she continued to eat. Minutes later, she got another message from Sohye.

-Tell me I have not reached the end of insanity.-

Mina covered as she resisted laughing like a madman. She got her third message that she could almost die out of laughter.

-Eomma Sejeong and Eomma Doyeon went to make out, leaving me to eat alone! What in God Sejeong's name is this! SHEEEESH!-

Mina bit her finger to contain her laughter as she decides to text her back. Nayoung and Chaeyeon were still having their talk and their display of affection when Nayoung heard a ring. She looked at her daughter as she noticed her texting. Chaeyeon stopped as she noticed it too.

"Honey, would you like to be excused?" Nayoung asked.

Mina came back to reality. She could only nod, excuse herself and went outside, her phone in her hand.

She sat by the bench of their garden and decided to call Sohye.

~Mina-ya!~

---

~Welcome to the sweet torture of the aftermath of matrimony~

Sohye chuckled as she saw Yeunjung singing her heart out. Mina was on the other line, worried of her but Sohye clarified.

"It's Yeunjung. She came by to visit and she's here, moping like a wuss. Me? I'm excellent. But for Yeunjung..." Sohye block the receiver as she asks Yeunjung. "Will it be okay for Mina to come by? Will the effect be better or worse?"

Yeunjung didn't listen. She was engrossed with her music as she continued to sing loud. Her voice rang. It was dynamic and in tune but it was loud, really loud.

Sohye could only chuckle as she told Yeunjung to focus on her. But then, she had to answer Mina again. "How fast can you get here?"

~Uhh...~

"Great. The door's open and I need to go 'cause I need to settle some issues. Bye!"

Sohye hung up as she looked at Yeunjung who was already done singing through her music. Sohye sighed as she the TV and plugged the Videoke console. Sohye grabbed a mic and gave it to Yeunjung. "Just sing it here to get some feelings out."

---

Mina arrived later, seeing Yeunjung singing and Sohye sitting down, listening to her sing.

"Hello?"

"Mina-ya!" Sohye quickly stood up as she welcomed her to the room. "Yah, Yoo Yeunjung. Mina's here."

Yeunjung kept on singing. Sohye went closer to her best friend and they greeted.

"Little reminder." Sohye started. "Yeunjung is in a mid-psychotic state right now so...you might want to take slow on what you're saying. And by the way, you look lovely in your sweatshirt. I like the color. It suits you."

Mina said her thanks as she sat by the couch. Sohye went to Yeunjung, calling her and poking her. Yeunjung grabbed the remote to stop the song as she sat down, placing the mic on the table as she wipes her tears away. 

"Yeunjung, Mina's here." Sohye said.

"Hey, Yeunjung." Mina greeted.

"Hey, Mina." Yeunjung greeted back as she sniffled.

Mina sat at the little chair, facing Yeunjung. Sohye was at Yeunjung's back, patting her shoulder. Mina faced Yeunjung as she asked. "How are you doing, Yeunjung?"

"Well...she and Taeha broke up." Sohye said.

"Yeunjung, I'm so sorry." Mina apologized as Yeunjung continued to cry. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No...I want to scream songs out." Yeunjung sniffled. 

"You know, you could share some advice. I shared mine already. Give me some boosts, Mina." Sohye said.

"I think I also might need some feedback from Yeunjung." Mina said.

"To feel the pain Yeunjung's feeling." Sohye added.

"Bingo." Mina mumbled.

"Over the years, I have infection on my nodes. The doctor says I need to get it removed but only to replace that is that I can't hit high notes anymore. My surgery is scheduled next week and she broke up with me before it could happen. She said that I'm losing the essence of my voice and she can't handle it." Yeunjung spoke. "I kept saying forever but she only gave me snide remarks and treated me like garbage."

"I'm really sorry for that, Yeunjung. Sometimes, people don't understand of committing to promises without thinking of the consequences if they're broken." Mina said her words of advice.

"True. Now, I feel like a . I still even have her necklace." Yeunjung mumbled again.

Mina and Sohye tell her to take the necklace off. Yeunjung pulled it with one hand and the shikshin duo cheered. Yeunjung infuriated like she wanted to break something. Yeunjung went to kick Sohye's gaming console but she stopped her. As much as she loved to comfort her friend, her console was her life.

"You are not hitting that, Yeunjung." Sohye said as she got a stuffed penguin. "Hit this."

"The stuffed penguin? Are you sure? You love these stuffed toys."

"That looks like already. Besides, that's a spare doll. You can tear it up if you want." Sohye smiled as she pats Yeunjung's back.

Mina giggled, admiring Sohye as she helps a friend of need. She would've stormed there and just admired her best friend when she came back and they have their talk.

"I would've called you at 7 but I reckoned that you still had dinner and yeah, I was doing homework work and comforting Yeunjung here." Sohye started.

"Nice timing, Penguin." Mina said. "No wonder you didn't answer your phone."

"Sorry about that." Sohye said, patting Mina's back.

Yeunjung's scream interrupted their little talk. Sohye watched her tear the stuffed penguin's head as she places it's body on her head. 

"Kim Sohye! Can I destroy something else?!" Her muffled scream was heard.

"One second, Mina. Why don't you sit down?" Sohye said as Mina nodded.

Sohye focused her attention on Yeunjung, grabbing a trophy. She went to Yeunjung, handing it to her. "You need to break something. Try this."

"The , Sohye. I can't break that." Yeunjung said.

"Eomma Sejeong understood that I didn't like volleyball that much. Sure I'll keep the big ones for memory but you can break the small ones. Let loose, Yeunjung." Sohye said, patting Yeunjung's back.

Yeunjung did, all while adding her screams of 'forevers'. Sohye and Mina chuckled. Mina, on the other hand, admired Sohye even more.

"Where was I, Mina?" Sohye asked as Mina came back from reality.

"You forgot to answer my call...and I presume you're going to talk about the sweet torture of your parent's public display of affection and marriage." Mina reminded.

"Oh, yes." Sohye had her 'Eureka!' moment as she sat next to her. "I would be saying everything on that very phone call but I couldn't until I had a coherent thought about it."

"Yes. I also have some info I'd share with you with regards to that." Mina shared. "During dinner, they spoke about a holiday in China, in which I'd ask Aunt Jieqiong about that. But then, they started to get all clingy and lovey-dovey in the table. Thank God you texted me 'cause I thought I was going to lose it."

"Hahahahaha...same with my moms. They even had to make out after eating. In the end, I had to wash the dishes!" Sohye babbled.

"That's plain funny, Penguin." Mina chuckled with Sohye. "And I assume that you could only chuckle in front of Aunt Sejeong and Aunt Doyeon?"

"Yes, I did. But I did interrupt their little session because I asked Eomma Sejeong about the robot I'm working on." Sohye said.

"The heck, Sohye. Those are two people falling in love and yet you had to disrupt." Mina gasped and continued to chuckle. "Although you had to do it because I think was rather abrupt."

"Rather abrupt - are you kidding? It's disturbing." Sohye exasperated. "I understand that it's how they are, they love each other and what not. But there is still that barrier between innocence and self-awareness and -"

"Sohye, can I destroy this?" Yeunjung asked as she shows a purple medium trophy.

Sohye only gave a thumbs-up and Yeunjung resumed in raging. Sohye came back to Mina's attention as she continued. "-at that, it cannot be crossed yet. And with my parents showing such display of affection kind of affects our stages of knowing which is which. It's like their little display is testing such consciences to certain levels which violates laws and stages of adolescence, don't you think?"

"That's actually correct. But to be completely honest, that the essence of it. And to me, it's actually truthful. They show such affection because they're true to their feeling, they love each other unconditionally." Mina said her side as Sohye understood, their eyes peering at Yeunjung, who's still breaking Sohye's trophies. "And despite of having such cringes, I still like to know many aspects of the matrimony of our parents."

"Like their commitment and origins?" Sohye asked and Mina nodded.

"Yes! And their history of how they met, more displays of affection and -"

"And their vow...that they really show the essence of 'forever'," said Sohye.

"Yes!" Mina nodded as she hugged Sohye.

Sohye looked down as she hugged Mina back. Mina felt that sensation on her chest as her heart pumps in pure adoration towards her best friend. 

"So...have you asked your mothers about that?" Sohye asked.

"I've asked them. Eomma Nayoung gives me details yet Eomma Chaeyeon told I had to wait until 18 to be enlightened of my thoughts and emotions. Apparently, I'm the curious one so I'm trying to get some gists on my own." Mina answered.

"Alrighty..." Sohye cheered lightly.

"I really love you, Kim Sohye." Mina winked.

"I love you, too." Sohye winked back. "Best friends forever?"

"Best friends forever." Mina answered as she pinches Sohye's cheeks.

Sohye and Mina noticed Yeunjung calming down. Sohye hoisted Yeunjung up as she was relieved.

"Oh my gosh...thanks you two." Yeunjung huffed.

"No problem." Sohye and Mina spoke.

===

Mina was at the hospital for her doctor's appointment. Nayoung and Chaeyeon were with their daughter, in which the session lasted for mere hours. Due to Mina's asthma, in which it was inherited from Chaeyeon, she had to maintain her breathing at the hospital from time to time.

The Lim family came back home. Mina noticed someone by their household door, holding a bouquet of pink tulips. 

"Hey, Sohye-ya. How are you?" Chaeyeon went to hug her favorite friend of her daughter.

"Hi, Imonie. I've been great." Sohye hugged back as she answered.

"Sohye-ya." Nayoung tackled her for a hug. "Nice shirt you're wearing."

"Thanks, Imonie. It's actually my old varsity shirt." Sohye smiled.

"Nice, nice..." Nayoung gave a thumbs-up as she went inside with Chaeyeon.

Mina went to hug her best friend as she got her bouquet. 

"Hey, Mina." Sohye smiled.

"Hey, Penguin." Mina grinned as she hugged Sohye again.

"How would you like to go on a picnic with me?" Sohye asked.

"Smooth move, Penguin." Mina giggled. "But I smell like hospital so can you wait while I change?"

"Sure." Sohye just nodded.

---

Sohye got inside as Chaeyeon whipped up some snacks for her. She had to do some work so Nayoung had to keep the little one company. Sohye got used to being inside the Lim household. She was close with Mina's parents as much as Mina was close to hers. Just like the students say about them, their relationship is symbiotic.

But in this juncture, Sohye felt awkward. She fidgeted sometimes as Nayoung took a glimpse at her. For Sohye, she had a hint that Nayoung took great concern of Mina due to what happened at the camp so...them having a picnic would create a disturbance on Nayoung's parental instinct.

"Sohye." Nayoung called as Sohye paid attention. "Do be careful, especially when taking care of Mina."

"Yes, Imonie." Sohye nodded.

"Don't make her run and play tag." Nayoung said again and Sohye have the same reply.

"You got her spare inhaler?" Nayoung asked.

"Yes, Imonie. I got it ready." Sohye nodded.

"Eomma! Are you interrogating Penguin again?" Mina pouted as she was ready. "Come on, Eomma. Sohye's been taking care of me since I was five. You've trusted her for so long."

Nayoung nodded, saying apologies to her daughter for being overprotective. Eventually, they asked permission and had the chance to go on their picnic.

---

Sohye and Mina had their picnic by the park. Sohye was carrying the basket as she and Mina walked slowly. For Sohye, she was eyeing Mina for her sake plus of her aunties. Mina places the mat by the grass close to the trees as Sohye and her sat. Sohye got something for Mina and the cutie was happy.

"My favorite~" Mina hugged Sohye then munched her chocolate.

"I know. You drink water after eating." Sohye said, handing a bottle of water.

"Aww..." Mina pouted but she accepted anyways. 

"It's for your health, Mina." Sohye chuckled as she also her own bottle of water.

Mina feeds Sohye some chocolate and watched kids play and couples being affectionate towards each other. Mina was intrigued with one couple as they fought and broke up.

"That just happened..." Sohye mumbled as she also peers at what Mina's peering. 

"I know, right?" Mina spoke. "Shame..."

"Hey, Mina?" Sohye asked.

"Yes, Penguin?" Mina responded.

"Have you planned for this year's vacation?" Sohye asked.

"Of course I did." Mina answered. "Both of our families are coming to this expo. And with you there, I wouldn't miss it."

"That's great..." Sohye said.

Mina smiled. She grabbed Sohye's arms, letting them wrap around herself. Sohye had her instincts, hugging Mina back. Mina loved these moments with Sohye...but she would ask herself sometimes...

Can she and Sohye be each other's one and only?

---

It was the middle of the night. Mina woke up abruptly, her breathing getting frantic by the minute. She hastily grabbed her inhaler but she ran out of medicine. 

"Eomma!!" She yelled while crying.

Nayoung was quick as she checks on her. Chaeyeon followed, all while searching Mina's closet for some spare medicine. Nayoung nudges Mina but their daughter was breathing more frantically.

"We need to get her to the hospital!" Nayoung spoke as she carried Mina. 

Both of them went out, securing their home while Chaeyeon drives the car. Nayoung nudges Mina as they race towards the hospital. As they arrived, Mina was admitted immediately. Chaeyeon and Nayoung saw the crying look of their daughter's face as she was sent to the emergency room. Nayoung hugs a crying Chaeyeon as she prays that her daughter will be fine.

*the next day*

Mina woke up, seeing her parents with their worried looks.

"Hi, baby..." Chaeyeon greeted.

"Eomma..." Mina mumbled.

"Hey, my little trooper." Nayoung said as she kissed Mina's forehead. "You're okay..."

"Eomma, what happened to me?" Mina asked.

"According to the doctor, your airways have swollen more caused by inhaled substances. Usually you are sensitive to breezes, which is why you are restricted from going on windy places. But the good news is there are no growth of tumors and what not. We're so relieved, Mina." Nayoung said.

"Okay..." Mina nodded. "Is Sohye here? Can I see her?"

"I don't know. By now, your Aunt Sejeong would inform her since I texted her." Chaeyeon said.

Nayoung got out of the room. Mina wanted to see Sohye. She hoped that Sohye was informed...

---

Sohye was informed that she went to the hospital right away. She was a bit of a mess but her concern for Mina was a priority that she had to get there right away.

She made requests to see Mina but she wasn't allowed. Family only, they said. She sighed as she just waited and was relieved to see her Aunt Nayoung.

"Imonie." Sohye hastily stood up and asked. "How's Mina?"

"She's fine, Sohye." Nayoung said as she fixes Sohye's hair. " D'awwww...you had to go all this way..."

"It's fine, Imonie. I was really worried and they wouldn't let me in 'cause it's family only." Sohye said.

"Sorry about that." Nayoung said.

"Oh, it's fine, Imonie. I understand." Sohye assured her. "But could you tell her I was here?"

"Sure. Now why don't you go home and rest?" Nayoung said.

"Okay. Eomma Doyeon's waiting outside so...see you soon, Imonie."

Sohye made her leave as Nayoung went back. She could only sigh for her daughter and her best friend. 

She thought...maybe they could be each other's one and only someday...

===

Mina's asthma was occurring frequently. With that plus school, Sohye and her haven't talked much, lasting for almost a year.

And during this weekend, Mina missed her so much. With that, she decided to call Sohye.

~Mina?~

"Penguin...why haven't you called? Don't you know how much I've missed you?" Mina yelped.

~Mind me. I've been busy.~

"Penguin?" Mina calls as she felt her tears falling.

~You're not okay, Mina. I'm coming there.~

"How did you..." Mina finally broke as Sohye sighs on the other line.

~We have this symbiotic relationship. Of course, I know. Wait a little longer, okay?~

---

Sohye arrived just as Mina expected. Sohye got to the backyard where Mina was and the cutie went to hug her tight. They haven't seen each other in a year and they've missed each other.

"Thanks for coming..." Mina said as her tears fell.

"Don't mention it." Sohye said as she wipes her tears and fixes her hair. "Tell me what happened."

She and Mina sat by the bench. Mina was quick to snuggle onto her best friend's shoulder as she lets her emotions out. "Can I confess something, Sohye?"

"What is it?" Sohye asked.

"Well..." Mina held Sohye's hand, intertwining their fingers. "I want you to know that over the years, my affection towards you increases exponentially. At the back of my mind, I say that we're best friends and that I shouldn't let this ruin our friendship but...you have been the sweetest person in my life. Look, I like you more than a friend, Penguin. I like everything about you."

"Me too." Sohye spoke as Mina looked at her.

"Sohye..."

"I do too, Mina." Sohye said again, holding her hand back. "All those lovey-dovey topics, all those memories and moments, they've been the best thing that have happened to me. And with you, I...I couldn't express much because words cannot express how happy I am to be with you...but..."

"But?" Mina asked worriedly.

"This is one thing that I cannot let go any further." Sohye said and Mina was deadpanned. "If you're wondering why, I don't want to hurt you."

"Why are you saying this?" Mina asked.

"That's just it, Mina." Sohye said as she looked at her. "There's been a circumstance. It's not that I need you to drive away from me. This phase is just enough for us, okay? I'll always be the Penguin you knew..."

"Really?" Mina laughed sarcastically as Sohye chuckled back. "Are we really not giving such essences of affection a chance? Aren't we a match, Sohye?"

"We are." Sohye said. "We've always been."

Mina and Sohye stared at each other, laughing lightly. Mina would've been pissed off of this whole affection thing but in the end, Sohye somehow cheered her up.

They heard thunder. Sohye stood up, lending Mina a hand. "Come on. It's going to rain."

---

Mina and Sohye were at Mina's room. Mina was working on something, wanting to see her old toys. Sohye could only watch as Mina thought of titles for the heading. 

Mina starts with something basic as Sohye typed something cute. Mina also found it cute but she didn't like it that much. She got her turn again and typed something complex and a bit grown-up. 

"No." Sohye shook her head.

"No? But it's funny." Mina said as they both laughed.

"That's why..." Sohye mumbled.

"Huh?" Mina reacted, looking at her.

"That's why I like you, Mina." Sohye winked. "You are too distracted with the things around you that you don't know that you really impress me."

"Really?" Mina asked.

"Wait - what am I saying? I can't say stuff like that-"

"That's natural, Sohye. That how best friends speak." Mina interrupted as Sohye stared at her. "I know, Penguin. Just best friends."

Mina shook hands with Sohye. They exchanged their 'best friends' as Mina stole a peck on Sohye's lips.

"Woah! Best friends don't do that!" She yelped as the just laughed.

---

As Mina was in the brink of sleep, she got a text from Sohye of their symbiotic relationship. Sohye texted that they'll stay as best friends. Mina would agree, replying an 'okay', then tucking herself to bed.

As much as she would do it, she couldn't. She loved Sohye now...

===

The Lim Family and Kim Family decided to agree on their said family vacation. Due to Mina's asthma, they had to postpone. But due to the fact that Sohye and Mina did their best at university, their parents had to give them a reward.

Here they are now, in an RV Nayoung and Sejeong earned for their families. Chaeyeon and Doyeon were on the second seats, talking about maternal issues. Nayoung and Sejeong were at the front, with Nayoung driving the vehicle. Their children were by the back, sleeping, with Mina leaning onto Sohye.

"You think our children will be destined to each other?" Nayoung asked.

"I think so. I don't mind. I always wanted Mina to be my daughter-in-law." Sejeong said.

"As much as Nayoung and I want Sohye to be our daughter-in-law," said Chaeyeon.

"Me too. The both of them are like bread and butter." Doyeon said.

---

During the vacation, the first week was spent with family. They had a wonderful time together and did various activities for memory. The next days were different as the parents whip something up, making their children do something together.

Sohye was somehow disgusted as she sits by the balcony of their little cabin. She was contemplating then felt a presence by her side.

"Got into the torture of affection, Sohye?" It was Mina.

"Apparently so." Sohye chuckled. "Yours too, huh?"

"Yeah. My moms won't stop it." Mina chuckled.

"Hey...how about we go somewhere, just here in the premises." Sohye suggested."

"Okay." Mina nodded.

Sohye hoists Mina up when she stumbled. Luckily, Sohye caught her. Somehow, they couldn't stop gazing at each other. Their hearts were beating in sync, their worlds frozen then revolving on each other. 

"Sorry for dazing." Sohye shook her head. "Let's go?"

---

They spent their time walking around, then having fun by the stalls full of arcade games. Sohye was like Mina's guardian, making sure Mina won't go into a breakdown of her asthma.

Mina was having a wonderful time with Sohye. She would plead Sohye to let her play basketball or volleyball but Sohye would say no. But in return, she got treated by Sohye with some food. In general, their day went well, having each other's company.

In the evening, Mina enjoyed the street performers like Sohye. They walked back, held hands then stopped because Sohye observed Mina's pants.

"Are you okay? Here. I got you your inhaler -"

"I'm fine, Sohye." Mina panted. "Is...is the cabin far from here?"

"Yeah." Sohye said as she crouched, her back facing Mina. "Hop in."

"Yah, Kim Sohye. You're not carrying me." Mina crossed her arms.

"I will." Sohye taps Mina's legs, making her stumble on Sohye's back.

Mina yelped but Sohye adjusts her and carried her properly. Sohye sighed and gave Mina a piggyback. Mina would ask if she was heavy but Sohye would say it was fine. Mina wowed of Sohye's stamina as she walked quick all while carrying her back.

Mina sighed of her disability. With the windy and snowy weather plus the distance, she couldn't walk home alive. She was grateful for Sohye to carry her all the way back as she hugs her, her head nuzzled onto Sohye's warm neck.

They arrived. Sohye puts Mina down and she escorts her to her cabin. Mina wondered as she saw a note by the door.

-Mina, your mom and I and aunts are at the club. We won't be coming back till morning. Have fun with Sohye, baby.- Eomma Chaeyeon

"The heck." Mina wondered.

"*sigh*...so I'll be alone at the other cabin." Sohye chuckled. "Anyways, have a good rest, Mina."

This was Mina's chance. She gulped, biting her lip as she watches Sohye leave. She stopped her, holding onto her hand and forced her to face her.

"Mina?" Sohye wondered as Mina pulled her closer. "What are you doing?"

Mina held her face and kissed her. Sohye's eyes dilated but her emotions broke free as she held Mina close and kissed her back.

"Penguin..." Mina huffed as they broke. "...let's sleep together."

---

Sohye somehow agreed but for Mina, her hormones were raging. Sure they were already in the age of maturity but they were still decent with this kind of matter.

When Sohye opened the door, Mina was quick in giving her a kiss. The penguin girl would kiss back, let go and knock some sense into her.

"No making love, Mina. You still got asthma." Sohye remarked.

"Thanks for that peachy reminder, Penguin." Mina said sarcastically. "Let me shower first."

*minutes later*

Mina and Sohye changed, all ready for bed. For Mina, her hormones were raging to a certain limit in which she straddled onto Sohye's lap and kissed her again. Sohye broke, having a good look at her best friend in which she loved so much.

"This is sort of quick, you know...like how our parents told us of how they created us." Sohye babbled.

"Yah, Penguin." Mina held and squished Sohye's cute face. "Stop talking about some love for a moment and just kiss me."

Sohye chuckled of Mina's desperation that she kissed her this time. It took them some time to break as Sohye fixes Mina's hair. Sohye brushes her hair but the brush got stuck somehow.

"Yah, Penguin~! Help....it's stuck~" Mina whined like a little kid.

Sohye chuckled and got the brush off of her head. Sohye puts it on the table as Mina gave pecks on Sohye's cheek.

"I love you, Penguin. How long will you stop being so dense and just be my girlfriend?"

"I love you too, Mina. I'm not being dense anymore. You're my girlfriend now." Sohye spoke.

Mina giggled and gave Sohye another passionate kiss. Sohye reciprocated her passion, all while biting her bottom lip, making the cutie whimper lightly. "Penguin...I can't breathe..."

That caused Sohye to panic, her hands scurrying in the drawer to find Mina's inhaler. She found it and Mina intakes her medicine. 

"Are you okay? Sorry if I -"

"Shh..." Mina shushed, her fingers on Sohye's lips. "I'm okay now."

Mina grabbed Sohye's hands and places them on her own face. Sohye chuckled as she could stare at Mina forever. "Mina...you're admirably beautiful."

"Oh, stop it, you..." Mina mumbled.

"You're beautiful..." Sohye mumbled again.

"I'm not..." Mina mumbled again and they kiss.

Mina wrapped her arms and legs around Sohye, not wanting to widen their distance. Sohye held back, her thought set that they won't go any further...not just yet...

---

Their little session lasted for mere minutes as they slept at each other's arms. And as dawn came, Mina woke up first, able to catch a glimpse of Sohye sleeping with agape. Mina giggled, closing as she ran her fingers on Sohye's cheek. Mina held her face and inched closer, giving her girlfriend a peck on the lips.

"Penguin~" Mina said softly. "Wake up, my Penguin..."

Sohye chuckled, showing a smile that Mina could oogle to death. Sohye managed to sit up but she laid down again.

"Penguin~" Mina whined.

Mina's cute whine made Sohye wake up fully. She rolled to the side and got a kiss from Mina. "Good morning."

"Morning..." Sohye said, rubbing her eyes lightly.

"Eomma Chaeyeon just texted...she said we have to meet with them at the restaurant for breakfast." Mina said.

"Ah, alright." Sohye nodded. "Come on. Let's fix ourselves."

Mina got her towel and stood in front of Sohye, holding her hand. "Let's take a bath together."

"Uhh... okay?" Sohye was uncertain but her hands went involuntary, grabbing her towel.

---

During breakfast, their families shared two big meals in one table. Mina broke the word to her parents and Nayoung almost spits her bacon, getting a little slap from Chaeyeon.

"Congratulations, you two." Chaeyeon cheered.

"My ship has finally sailed." Sejeong joined her. "So...what did you do last night?" 

"We just toured around and slept." Sohye said.

"Come on, Eomma. You're fine with it, right?" Mina asked Nayoung. "You're smiling."

Nayoung had to break her emotions free as she shook Sohye's hand. Doyeon was almost the same as her that she gave the two a hug.

"Yah, I can't believe you would do aegyo to your mom." Sohye remarked as the parents laughed. "I try doing that and my parents laugh."

"Omo- do we still have time to go to the chocolate factory? I hear there's this big chocolate replica of Kim Jong Un. I wanna see it." Mina cheered.

"Whatever you kids want." Chaeyeon said.

"But...I don't think we have. I still need to go back and finish some plates for my culinary test." Mina spoke.

"Don't worry. We'll just come back next time." Nayoung said.

Those words suddenly hit the Kim Family. Mina noticed her aunt's uncomfortable looks, especially Sohye's. Sohye could only excuse herself as Mina sensed something wrong.

"Eomma, can you not be ridiculous?" Mina spat as Nayoung gave a questionable look.

"Calm down, Mina." Sejeong said. "It's about time we tell your parents. It's about Sohye."

Mina didn't get it. She would stay and listen but she wanted to get the truth from her girlfriend. She excused herself then went to the balcony where Sohye was at.

Mina inched closer as she hugs her from the back. Sohye faced her, hugging her back as they stand side by side, holding hands. Mina gazed at Sohye, her expression still serious as if there was something heavy on the chest.

"Penguin..." Mina called and Sohye paid attention. "You mind explain to me of something?"

"Okay." Sohye nodded, her hold on Mina's hand tightening. "So just before you got admitted, before we knew each other when we were babies...I felt an ache on my chest. Eomma Doyeon thought it was just little but it went frequent. So, my parents scheduled a check-up...and I got a devastating result: I have heart failure...and the doctor said I cannot live until 19."

Mina gulped, her hand shaking lightly. Sohye held onto it, easing her worries as she she continued to explain. "I'm sorry for not telling you sooner. You were sick and I can't add up to your worries. The pain was unbearable, actually. You know, when I carried you back to the cabin, I thought I was gonna die but I resisted. So in retrospect, I'm the sickly one between us..."

Mina hugged her tight, her head leant onto Sohye's shoulder as she weeps. "How could you not tell me? Why? Why is the world so unfair?"

"You know, it's stupid. We could've been a couple sooner. We could've enjoyed loving each other like our parents did if we weren't blind with our emotions. Our timing was just inevitable. And it seems...time cannot be added or rewinded in our favor." Sohye chuckled as a tear fell from her eye.

Mina's cries had gotten loud as Sohye comforts her. "It's okay. I'm still going to live long enough to annoy you. Just don't change your treatment towards me. Treat me as the Penguin you love so much..."

Mina nodded. She held Sohye's face close to hers, their foreheads touching each other. 

"Are you in pain?" Mina asked.

"No. I'm okay." Sohye smiled.

"Okay..." Mina also smiled as they share a kiss.

---

The trip back home was quiet. Sejeong drove the RV back, with Nayoung sleeping on the front. Chaeyeon and Doyeon were reading books as Mina and Sohye sat quietly. Mina leaned her head on Sohye's shoulder as she watches her girlfriend looking at the view. Mina couldn't do anything to ease Sohye but all she could do was to be beside her for as long as she could.

Mina and Sohye went back to university, finishing their studies. They got first in their respective universities and their parents couldn't be prouder. Yeunjung congratulated them and the three of them had their friendship strong.

Mina and Sohye kept their relationship strong. Despite of Sohye's oblivion coming to a close, Mina still loved her...and Sohye loved her in return.

Some challenge their facing. But to them, surrendering was never an option...

===

Mina came to visit Sohye. There she was, resting on her couch as her chest was open, showing a bandage. Mina also saw Yeunjung, who's neck had a bandage on it. Mina went to greet them, especially Sohye, who gets a kiss and a pinch on her cheek.

"How are your nodes, Yeunjung?" Mina asked.

"Oh, they're good and gone. I don't even feel like they've been there in the first place." Yeunjung laughed. "You know with that, I can't hit the bass notes, which is actually pretty neat."

"Yeunjung here's a cocky . Thank me for I'm one up with you because of this heart of mine." Sohye said as they chuckled.

"So...got your eulogy ready, Mina?" Yeunjung asked.

"Eulogy? What eulogy?" Mina wondered.

"You know, that little -"

"Thanks for spoiling the surprise, Yeunjung." Sohye spoke. "I was supposed to tell her later."

"Oops. Sorry..." Yeunjung spoke and gave a peace sign.

"Penguin?" Mina asked Sohye.

"Well, I suggested that you and Yeunjung, well... mostly you...would be glad to whip something up." Sohye said.

Mina didn't like the sound of it, as if Sohye would be gone anytime. She loathed that. She didn't want to think that Sohye is going to die. 

"I'd love to, Penguin." Mina said.

"You're in doubt. It's okay if you don't have to-"

"I'd love to." Mina holds her face, looking seriously at her. "I'm serious."

"Okay..." Sohye could only nod. "... thank you."

Mina sighed and kissed Sohye. Sohye kissed back as Yeunjung sighed of her torture of being a third wheel. "You look cute. It makes me sick."

"You guys are gross." She added as the couple chuckled lightly. "Nah, just kidding..."

"Have you heard from Taeha?" Mina asked her.

"No, not a word. But you don't have to worry 'cause there are other girls in this world like in the dance club in the uni, there's this girl that was as charming as my mom."

"Like Aunt Chungha?" Sohye asked.

"Yeah. And she has this good voice too." Yeunjung added.

"How do you know?" Mina chuckled.

"I got me good ears. With my experiences in training, I can determine a good singer from a tone deaf." Yeunjung said.

"Mina-ya..." Sohye called.

"Yes, Penguin?" Mina responded.

"Do you have 15000 won?"

---

Mina and Yeunjung were waiting inside Sohye's car as the owner came back with two cartons of cream puffs. 

"You're serious about this, Penguin?" Yeunjung asked. "You didn't have to take things seriously, you know..." 

"I saw the look in your eyes, Yeunjung. You want sweet revenge on your ex." Mina joined. "And we're giving her one."

Yeunjung was nervous yet Mina and Sohye agreed to her little plan. Sohye drove towards Taeha's home then the three of them got out.

Sohye and Mina got the box out and open as Yeunjung got her slingshot and a cream puff. Mina stole some for the box so she can eat one as Yeunjung aimed, hitting her car.

"Nice!" Sohye cheered.

"You did it, Yeunjung!" Mina cheered too.

"Yes! This is exhilaratingly fun!" Yeunjung yelled with her bass voice as she got another cream puff and aimed.

She would hit the car as Sohye and Mina watch their friend, smiles plastered on their faces. Sohye and Mina shared their kiss and hugs as they watch Yeunjung enjoying herself.

As Taeha got out, the three made a run for it. They got in the car, with Yeunjung carrying the box and hopping in the back. Sohye starts the car hastily just in time for Taeha to yell and chase after them.

She didn't catch up and was lost. Yeunjung thanked Mina and Sohye for this moment as the couple were happy to see their friend happy.

Mina was happy to do this with Sohye, it's memory gone down by the books.

===

It was late. Mina was awaken by a call. She got to check the dialler and it was her Penguin.

"Penguin?"

~Mina-ya~

"Hi. Hi. I love you. What is it? Why have you called?"

~Mina-ya...I have a...*cough*...~

Mina sensed something was wrong as she got up. "Penguin? What's wrong?"

~My nose is bleeding...my mouth-*cough*-too. I'm at the convenience store by our neighborhood. Can you...can you come and help me-~

She head a clack. Mina was panicking. She went to her parents' room, wrote a note, grabbed Nayoung's car keys, and got out of the house.

---

Mina was thankful Nayoung taught her how to drive or else she wouldn't have gotten to the convenience store quickly. As she arrived, she saw Sohye's car. She got out of hers, then went hastily to the open driver's seat to see Sohye.

But it went all wrong. Sohye was unconscious, her nose and mouth bleeding, and her phone on the floor. Mina panicked as she nudged her girlfriend.

"Penguin! Wake up, Penguin!!"

Mina was crying as she checked her girlfriend. She puts an ear by her chest, hearing her slow heartbeat. With that, Mina acted quickly as she dialled help.

"911. I need an ambulance. I'm at the only convenience store by the Gangnam District. My name's Kang Mina. Please hurry. Someone named Kim Sohye is in the brink of life and death!"

Mina sniffled as she wipes Sohye's blood off of her face. Mina was relieved as the ambulance came. Mina, being the girlfriend she was, stayed by Sohye's side as was laid down and was sent to the hospital.

---

Mina called her parents and Sohye's to get the cars at the convenience and informed them of Sohye's whereabouts and condition. The doctor was there, doing all she can to let Sohye live. Eventually, Sohye gave signs of life. Mina was relieved as she was by Sohye's head a her hands held her face.

"You did good, little one. If you didn't call in time, your friend would've gave in."

"Thank you." Mina bowed lightly.

"No problem. We'll arrive shortly." 

---

As they arrived, Sohye was sent to the ICU. Mina would've followed but she wasn't allowed. Mina had to wait, her heart getting anxious of her girlfriend's condition.

The parents arrived afterwards. Chaeyeon and Nayoung went to their daughter as Doyeon raced to the ICU where her daughter would be. Sejeong was panting, sitting in one seat, facing the Lim Family.

"What happened?" Nayoung asked Mina.

"Sohye...she..." Mina mumbled but she ended up crying. 

Chaeyeon shushes her as Nayoung pats her back. Sejeong sighed as she was about to cry when Doyeon sat next to her, holding her wife's hand tight.

"How's Sohye?" Sejeong asked.

"Her heart failure has gone worse. Hers was a rare case of a bleeding mouth and nose." Doyeon said, sighing. "Sejeong-ah, this is just...I can't bear to lose Sohye..."

Doyeon cried in Sejeong's arms. Mina was worse, sobbing as she thought of what happened if she lost Sohye.

And for some reason, she wouldn't want to feel it for she loved Sohye so much and her life wouldn't be the same without her.

---

Mina made frequent visits and was there for Sohye no matter what, despite Sohye being in a comatose. Her visits were shortened due to her studies but Sohye was a priority she could never abandon.

For her current visit, Sohye was in an operation. All Mina could do was sit in the waiting area. Sohye's parents were aware of it that Doyeon went to the waiting area where Mina was at.

"Hey, Mina." Doyeon went to hug her and Mina hugged back.

Doyeon sat beside Mina as Mina asked. "How's Sohye doing?"

"It had been a tough night, Mina. Sohye's operation has been done. Her blood pressure's low and her heart still at being a heart...." Doyeon answered.

"Was it an operation on putting a pacemaker on?" Mina asked again.

"Yes. The doctor said it could be effective but it won't be permanent. Her heart is just..." Doyeon stopped as she was about to tear up.

"Imonie, can I see her?" Mina asked for the third time.

"She won't be awake until tomorrow. But I'll tell her that you were here." Doyeon said, patting Mina's head.

Mina nodded. Doyeon hugs her again then left her to standby for a bit. 

Mina was worried. But she was praying Sohye will be awake and out of the hospital.

---

A week has passed. Doyeon called her that Sohye will be out of the hospital. Mina was at the door of Sohye's home waiting and eventually, Sohye finally came home.

She saw Sejeong getting the wheelchair from the back compartment. She saw Doyeon helping Sohye up. Mina sighed. Sohye's heart failure took a hit on her legs she couldn't walk much anymore.

"Here you go, my little Sohye." Sejeong helped in sitting her down.

"I'm not little, Eomma." Sohye spoke cutely.

Sejeong and Doyeon laughed. As Sohye saw Mina, she hastily rolled the wheels on her wheelchair that Doyeon had to calm her down. Mina chuckled, shaking her head lightly, then running towards Sohye, hugging her.

---

With Sohye back at her household and with the semestral break, Mina made frequent visits. Sejeong and Doyeon made Mina welcome at their home to be with their daughter. Sejeong and Doyeon would work and Mina was always there to take care of Sohye. 

Sohye was ecstatic to have her girlfriend by her side. They would cuddle in each other's arms, bug each other, and even relax by the backyard. 

Mina knew of Sohye's emotions. She saw hate and regret. She couldn't stop her from acting that way. She'd feel the same way if she was in her shoes. But she wanted was for Sohye to be the usual cheerful girl she was despite of her condition. And on her case, she was willing to be there for her, to cherish her, to love her, just like when they were kids...

---

There were times Mina and Sohye went outside. Sejeong and Doyeon didn't mind as they went back to the park, having a picnic in which they would cherish for an eternity. 

It was a bit of a struggle for them. Mina, despite of her asthma, pushed Sohye on her wheelchair. Sohye was also considering as she rolls the wheels of her own wheelchair. As the got to a spot, Mina lays the blanket and the basket. She went back to Sohye, helping her get up. They say down comfortably, watching the people having a wonderful time in the park, a scene Sohye was envious of.

A sickening and sudden pop startled Sohye. She saw Mina opening a bottle of champagne as she pours glasses of it for themselves. Sohye was thankful. Mina was drinking some yet Sohye was just holding the glass, watching the bubbles fizz on the beverage. Mina noticed it and it seems Sohye was in deep thought.

"Hey..." Mina pats Sohye's head, her fingers running on Sohye's soft locks. "...what are you thinking about?"

"The sweet torture of oblivion." Sohye said and Mina sighed, getting pissed.

"You're pissed, I know. It's just that how could it be like this? I felt hate, regret even, that we didn't have enough time and focus on what was really important. This life was supposed to be special that we'd tell this to our children. We would've been heroines of our epic story..." Sohye answered.

"Sohye, don't think about it. Shouldn't you be focusing on now? Come on...you only have days...hours...minutes...even seconds left to live, remember? Shouldn't you spend your time wisely before meeting your demise?" Mina spat.

"No..." Sohye buried her face as she puts the glass of champagne down. "It's too late. If I do anything, what's the point? I can only hate myself and regret and die miserably. I'm not any person, Mina. I'm not special..." 

"You are special, Penguin." Mina said.

"I know...but that's not what I mean. You should've known." Sohye mumbled.

"What's with you?" Mina looked at her. "What's with your obsession of this goddamn life?"

"Mina, don't get mad." Sohye looked at her and pleaded.

"I'm not mad, Sohye...I'm infuriated. I'm infuriated because your special, you matter a lot, and here you are, telling me to dig myself into regret like you?!" Mina said sternly.

Sohye didn't like Mina's tone. She ignored and curled herself deeper into her knees.

"You were different before. You were cheerful and we used to have these little talks of our parents' affections which led to our love story and here you are now, moping into hate and regret like an immature child. Do you think the only way to live life is to go throughout its course without bad factors? Guess what, Sohye? This is your phase of reality! You get me, your family, friends, and this God-forsaken world! And if it unsatisfies you, blame the cosmos who put us into misery!" Mina babbled.

Their gap was a bit big, both parties not uttering anything. Mina sighed as she was about to cry.

"Sohye...you're special. You're my superhero. You were always there and I can't thank God that He matched us to be there for each other and be in love. I beg you...don't dig into your regret of not being with me. You're not at fault...and you don't have to worry about me...because I will always love you..." Mina spoke and Sohye faced her. "I love you, Sohye...and I will always put you in my heart until death do we have to really part..."

"*sigh*...I'm sorry..." Sohye said, reaching a hand to touch Mina's face.

"I just wish you were happy with this life..." Mina sniffled.

"I am... I'm just scared." Sohye spoke and the face each other again. "My life with you? It's a blessing that I always cherish. But... I'm scared because I don't want you to live in obscurity once I'm gone. Do you know it pains me of picturing you lost without me?"

"Sohye-ya...how..." Mina's tears flowed hard.

"At the hospital...where you came with me and visited Yeunjung during her second operation due to her thyroid cancer..."

~~~

Sohye was having her session with the doctor. Mina was waiting outside but she was bored. It was great timing because Yeunjung was admitted on the same hospital so she went to see her.

Yeunjung was bed-ridden, her neck covered with a bandage with a communication device like of Stephen Hawking's. She was in the brink of recovery and she couldn't talk so Yeunjung can only communicate with a robotic voice.

Mina was there, witnessing Yeunjung confess of her feelings through the psychiatrist. The psychiatrist gave advices then left the room.

"Is she gone?" Yeunjung asked.

"Yeah." Mina said.

"Did she seriously say to scream my feelings out?" Yeunjung asked again as Mina nodded. "What a motherer."

"Woah. Watch the language, Yeunjung." Mina remarked. "Alright, give me qualities of good love. Start."

"One: no discrimination between parties whatsoever." Yeunjung said.

"Two is good first impressions on the first meeting, right?" Mina asked.

"Yahtzee. Like me and Taeha before, I made an impression on her through singing and she comments that it was dynamic. The , I was singing a ballad and I was like: Taeha, I'm not a megaphone so stop thinking I was a loud singer."

"Hahahahaha...three?" Mina asked.

"That would be aegyo." Yeunjung said and Mina groaned in disapproval.

"You mean like: Yeunjung-ah, I'm hungwee~ buy me a piece of bwead~" Mina did her aegyo.

"Damn, you got it." Yeunjung laughed with the robotic voice.

Mina couldn't hold her laughter but then the conversation went serious. "How are you, Yeunjung?"

"I'm fine, Mina. It's weird, though. I think more of Taeha rather my own health. To be honest, it's insane."

"Same with Sohye, my friend." Mina said as raises both hands. "But Taeha doesn't deserve you, Yeunjung. You're more decent than that."

"I know...but maybe it's because I still love her. Weird. I shouldn't be feeling this. What right does my heart to love her when she doesn't treat me that way? But maybe...that's just love. It's unexpected and deep...and everyone deserves it, no matter what the circumstances."

Mina couldn't argue as she nodded. With that, she remembered Sohye. She sighed as she shared some stuff to Yeunjung. "You're right. It's the inevitability I'm worried about. Love is really essential yet if some factors are gone, it's goes down the drain. That's how I feel with Sohye, Yeunjung. I felt that in every second, the last good day is at its peak..."

"Mina..." Yeunjung gasped as she saw Mina cry.

"It hurts, Yeunjung. We would've had the time as a couple if the timing was in our favor. But, I'm afraid to let go and accept. If she dies...I'm not going to live anymore. I'm not going to enjoy life anymore because she won't be at my side..."

~~~

Mina was sobbing. Sohye held her face, wiping her tears away. She kissed her forehead, making Mina calm down as she could only sniffle.

"I know you didn't mean to but even if I die, please live for me, Mina. I know you won't forget me. It'll be the greatest thing in your life, trust me..."

Mina knew Sohye was right but she was still scared. Sohye sighed, comforted her then went to get her glass of champagne, only to give it to her. Sohye got her own and clanked their glasses together. 

"It has been the greatest life I've lived, Mina. And like you said, I should focus on now...and us..." Sohye smiled.

"Yeah. It's not over yet." Mina said.

Sohye and Mina drank together and they share their kisses. They broke afterwards as Mina leaned onto Sohye's shoulder while watching the view of the people.

"I love you, Sohye."

"I love you too, Mina."

---

Mina was chilling at home when she got a call from Sohye.

"Yes, baby?" Mina cooed as she answered.

~Have you done your eulogy yet?~

"Yes, baby." Mina said and Sohye chuckled.

~Can you come at my house by 7 PM?~

"Yes, baby." Mina replied again.

~What's with the 'baby'?~

"Not much. I just like calling you that. I love you, baby."

~Okay. I love you too, cutie.~

Mina giggled as Sohye hung up. She changed herself, got her eulogy, and went downstairs when Nayoung and Chaeyeon were at the door.

"Visiting Sohye again?" Nayoung asked.

"Nayoung, please..." Chaeyeon calmed her cold wife down. "Mina, where are you going this time?"

"To see Sohye. Please, Eomma...can I go?" Mina asked permission.

"Not this time. Please, Mina. You have asthma and you need to rest." Nayoung said.

"Eomma, my asthma has nothing to do with visiting Sohye! Please! I might not see her again!" Mina begged.

"Please, Nayoung... reconsider." Chaeyeon whispered.

"But she's going out almost everyday to see her. It's fine but... it's a hindrance to our family." Nayoung commented.

"A hindrance? Really?" Mina raised an octave as she asked. "Eomma, I love Sohye. She's my girlfriend and she might die anytime. I don't know of the possibility of her living that I need to see her so can I please go?" 

Nayoung was about to scold her when Chaeyeon looked at her seriously. Nayoung sighed and made way for Mina, in which Mina thanked her with a kiss and hug.

"Be careful. Send my regards to your aunts and Sohye." Chaeyeon said as Mina hugged her too.

"Okay..." Mina nodded. "Thank you, Eomma. I love you both so much."

"I love you." Chaeyeon said.

"I love you too, my baby." Nayoung said.

---

Yeunjung was doing her eulogy. Sohye was listening together with Sejeong and Doyeon. Mina came, giving a kiss to Sohye and hugging her aunties, all while waving at Yeunjung.

"You're late." Yeunjung said. "Our aunties were done with theirs and I'm almost done with mine so, shall I continue?"

"Go." Sohye said.

"Okay..." Yeunjung gulped as Mina sat beside her girlfriend. "If there were people who would offer me my voice back, I'd sing and scream to the whole world of Kim Sohye because... you're a blessing to our lives. And I don't know, life would be different without you, Sohye. Despite of that, I'm sure God has destined you with something great and new. So...Godspeed, Kim Sohye."

Yeunjung was done as Sejeong and Doyeon hug her, thanking her. Yeunjung went to Sohye for a pat on the back and a hi-five that would go down by the books. Sohye looked at her girlfriend who was a bit nervous. "It's down to you, Mina."

Mina nodded as she stood and was in front of everyone. She gulped and began her eulogy.

"This has been Kang Mina live to you in the Kim household...and I would want to spread word that Kim Sohye was the Penguin of my life."

Sejeong and Doyeon found it sweet. Yeunjung chuckled lightly as Sohye plastered a wide smile.

"Like a person's love to someone, it dies it them...as it should. During the times I had my breakdowns due to my asthma, I thought I was the sickly one. I thought I would be the one to die first. I even thought Sohye would be the one eulogizing me... because there's no one really special to do so. But I never thought it would be the other way around."

Mina didn't want to talk much of their love story because it was long. And besides, she was saving all the time for her best words.

"Sohye and I were observant with our parents in displays of affection but there was one thing we learned from them. Love is like God, great and unconditional. Aunt Sejeong and Aunt Doyeon had their own way of love as much as my moms have with theirs. They had various ways of expressing but their love was great and unconditional."

"I was thankful for Sohye." Mina looked at Sohye who was already tearing up. "Aunt Sejeong and Doyeon are so lucky to have a wonderful daughter. Yeunjung's lucky to have a good friend...and I'm lucky God matched us to be each other's one and only. You know, being sickly, I died for more years of living. But then...I would die twice for God to give Sohye more numbers than what she got now."

Mina's hands were shaking. She saw all of them in a puddle of tears, especially Sohye. But knowing that she had to continue, she needs to say more.

"Time is never in our favor. I regret of not being to express my feelings towards Sohye sooner. If I did, it would've been more worthwhile. But Sohye...my Penguin, my best friend, my love... it's still worth it...because we had our infinity despite the numbered days."

Sohye was hit with Mina's words. Mina stopped as she sniffles. Sejeong comforted a sobbing Doyeon on her shoulder as she also cries. Yeunjung was wiping her tears as Mina continued.

"You gave me a good friendship and a infinite relationship within our years together and for that, I'm eternally grateful..." Mina smiled as her tears continued. "Sohye-ya...I love you so much."

"I love you too, Mina-ya...Father God knows I do." Sohye whispered as she felt at peace.

===

Mina finished her college and was to work next year. For now, she wanted to take a break and spend the year with her family. This night, she was sleeping. But a ring interrupted her sleep.

She heard Nayoung answer the call. Mina's heart clenched as she heard her mother's words. As the call ended, Mina huffed as she tries to resist her tears.

"What was it?" Mina heard Chaeyeon ask.

"Sejeong called." Mina heard Nayoung say then heard her cry. "It's Sohye... she's gone..."

Mina expected that. But then, she didn't expect it'll come sooner or later. 

Eight days after Sohye's eulogy, she and her family left to America for Sohye to heal. For the couple, it was already their break-up. She didn't think about it. With her perseverance in university, she had tossed it aside. She was the valedictorian and Nayoung and Chaeyeon couldn't be prouder.

But on this moment, thought of her and Sohye flooded. They may have broken up but Mina had Sohye on her heart ever since. She may have tossed her aside but Sohye was always in her heart.

But hearing that Sohye's dead, she felt like she was hit by a stake. She couldn't bear it. She felt her parents' presences by her bed as she lets her emotions out. 

Nayoung and Chaeyeon were aware as Mina's cries filled the entire room. Chaeyeon couldn't bear seeing her daughter cry that she and Nayoung went closer by her side. Chaeyeon held Mina's hand and their daughter holds back, not wanting to let go. Mina wept like a kid as Chaeyeon and Nayoung lay next to her. Mina hugged her parents tight as she cries her heart out. 

It was unbearable, every second worse that the last. But she had to face reality. Sohye's was gone...

---

Mina's days have been peachy. For her, it was still painful.

She was at her new car bought by Chaeyeon and Nayoung as their gift for her. It was raining heavily and all she could do was look at the raindrops, the weather in sync with her current emotions.

Her parents were at the US, attending Sohye's funeral. She didn't come. She was important for this even but she loathed coming to the funeral. She may want to in order to see her girfriend one last time but she was too hurt. If she saw Sohye the moment it happened, she would lose it. Come on, it's a peaceful reminiscence which she cannot lose her cool to.

Days later, Chaeyeon and Nayoung came back. Nayoung went Mina's room, seeing her daughter sitting by the bed, staring at their picture together.

"Mina?" Nayoung called but Mina didn't respond.

Nayoung sighed and went closer. She held Mina's shoulders and her daughter finally respond. "Eomma...you're back."

"We just got here. Your Eomma Chaeyeon had to rest due to the jet lag. How are you?"

"Still lonely and down, Eomma." Min said honestly. "Is this the feeling of losing your other half? Why is it so painful?"

"If I were to be in your shoes, I would've been Stone Buddha till death. It would pain me if I lost your mother, Mina." Nayoung said. "It was a privilege, right? To love Sohye? It's how we feel about you in the future, Mina."

Mina nodded as Nayoung comforted her. Mina knew her mother was right. She hoped she'll recover from this soon enough.

*knock*

Nayoung gets the door as she knew of the visitor. "Mina, Yeunjung's here to see you."

---

Mina and Yeunjung got to talk outside. Mina was happy to have Yeunjung to keep her company.

"Hey, don't be sad. I know Sohye's already up there but you need to be happy. She wants to see your smiling face again." Yeunjung said, patting her back.

"I know. But it takes time. I'm praying she'll look down at me. I want her to be my angel." Mina said.

"She will be. She loves you for a reason." Yeunjung said.

Mina nodded and they share their light hug. Yeunjung broke first as she pats Mina's back. "Speaking of which, did you get a letter from the Kim family?"

"They sent a letter? Who's it from?" Mina asked.

Yeunjung didn't say anything. Mina kept asking until Yeunjung looked at her and gave her a smirk. "It's from Sohye."

Mina chuckled. Yeunjung wondered of her chuckle as Mina said. "It must be her will. As much as I'd love to read it, I don't want to. Not now, rather. I've run out of tears plus I don't think my heart can handle like that."

"It's not a will, Mina. Sohye did write it." Yeunjung said and Mina froze. "You think Sohye's dead? She isn't. She actually healed herself in America and is coming home with her family."

Mina lurches forward and headed towards the door, running. Yeunjung could only watch her friend go as Nayoung got out, talking to her. "Did you tell her?"

"Yes, Imonie. She's going to Sohye's house right now." Yeunjung answered.

"Good." Nayoung pats Yeunjung's back. "Mina's in for a big surprise."

---

Mina rushed to the mailbox and looked inside for the letter. She saw Sohye's initials and instantly tore the envelope and read the letter inside.

-Meet me at the cemetery- Kim Sohye

Mina grabbed the keys of her car and drove towards the place.

Despite the rainy day, Mina got to the cemetery. Mina looked for Sohye as she was drenched in the rain. She scurried everywhere, calling Sohye and looking at the engraved stones. One caught her attention and it hit her.

The stone had a name engraved on it: Kim Sohye.

"The ..." Mina mumbled as she crouched.

Her hands were on the stone. Mina thought of the letter and she found out that it was written two years ago and was sent just now.

Mina crumples the letter and tears it to shreds as she wept, hugging the engraved stone. She finds out a lot of things today but she just wept.

Sohye was buried here and not in the US. Her family lived someplace else in Korea and not in the US. Her parents attended a funeral here and not in the US. Even Yeunjung said she was alive and came back home from the US.

But that was ed up and plain stupid. Mina wiped her tears of as she cries of her regret. She should've done all means to see Sohye one last time before she died. She should've attended the funeral. And she should've lived happily for Sohye's sake.

It was too late now. She cries again as her heart ached of Sohye to come back again.

"What a load of , huh, Mina?"

That voice was familiar. She aslo felt someone behind her, shielding her from the rain. She looked up to see an umbrella shielding her...and the face of a person she's been missing for so long.

"S-Sohye..." Mina's froze as tears flowed endlessly.

Sohye winked. She crouched down as she grabbed a rock and scraped the grave. Mina watched her name gotten rid off and was replaced by a different name.

The name made her jump.off of her seat. The real engraved name was actually of her aunt: Kim Doyeon.

"I...I don't understand..." Mina was confused as hell. "How...how did Aunt Doyeon's name came out!? And you're alive?!"

"It's a long story." Sohye said as she pulled Mina up. "Now let's get you dried up.

---

Sohye and Mina got to Sohye's house. Sohye lets Mina shower first. She prepares food and clothing for Mina as she also waited for her. Mina got out of the shower with a towel wrapped on her body. Sohye got another towel to wipe Mina's hair as Mina reached to touch Sohye's face and kissed her.

The session was a bit steamy as Mina's hands were around Sohye, feeling her. Sohye had instincts to break from the kiss as Mina held her tight, aiming to kiss her again.

"You need to eat and change." Sohye said. "I still need to explain everything to you."

---

Mina couldn't remember the last time she ate ramen. But in general, the dish was good. Mina ate heartily and Sohye couldn't help but look at her. Mina finished the whole bowl, letting out a cute yet loud burp as she was relieved of herself due to the weather.

Sohye went to grab the bowl to wash it when Mina stopped her. She stood up, pulling Sohye towards the sofa. Sohye gasped as Mina pushed to sit down and that Mina straddled on her lap. Mina held Sohye's face, her fingers running to caress her cheek. 

"It's you...it's really you..." Mina smiles as she tears up."

"Hey..." Sohye wipes her tears away as she cups Mina's face. "...have you been crying for a year? Gosh, I shouldn't have made you cry like that. I think I should be punished."

"Yah, what was that letter all about? And what the did Yeunjung say a while ago? Eomma Nayoung told me you were dead!" Mina pouted.

Sohye sighed as she face-palmed her conscience. She sighed as she faces Mina, formulating words and explanations that could be understandable. "Remember the time we broke up?"

"Yeah. You and your family had to move to America for you to be healed." Mina answered.

"That's right...and that was the truth. I had to break up with you because my healing period was a hindrance to your conscience. I didn't want you to think about me too much. And I did heal at America but then came back to Korea three months later."

"You're always too concerned, Penguin." Mina said as she snuggled onto Sohye. "How did it go?"

"Well, it was critical. When your mother called, Eomma Doyeon was by my side, crying. It would've been the end. But I can let go, she said. She said that I shouldn't be afraid. I nodded, giving in. But when I saw my moms crying, I couldn't bear to let go. And you know what Eomma said?"

"What?" Mina asked, her fingers on Sohye's chin.

"She won't be a mom anymore plus she mentioned you, saying that you won't have a lover anymore." Sohye said as she fixed Mina's hair. "And that actually gave me more strength, even for a little while."

"Yeunjung said you were healed. How did you do it?" Mina asked again.

"I woke up after a week. Eomma Sejeong kept on asking if there was a cure for my heart failure. The doctors said that the only way they can do was for me to get a heart transplant. Eomma Sejeong and Eomma spent weeks to look for a donor but there was none. But then, they gave blood sample to the doctors and made a discovery: I had a match."

"Was is Aunt Doyeon?" Mina got her conclusion straight.

"Yes. It was my Eomma Doyeon." Sohye sighed. "I didn't understand why they would let their hearts be donated? I opposed, not wanting to stay alive when another person will die in the end. Eomma Sejeong didn't like it much but Eomma Doyeon insisted. I didn't like it one bit and I was afraid to lose my Eomma. Somehow, she said something that convinced me and Eomma Sejeong."

"What did she say?" Mina asked.

"I was a fighter. The pain of 10 was a 9 because I fought. I deserve to be in love like them, she said. She even remarked Eomma Sejeong that they already had their time. It was about time they pass their love to us." Sohye said, referring to the two of them.

"So the funeral that my parents attended...was it Aunt Doyeon's?"

"Yeah. Before that, Eomma Sejeong was having some issues in which Aunt Nayoung and Aunt Chaeyeon helped her with. It took Eomma Sejeong almost months to get her together, just in time to attend the funeral."

"I feel so bad. I didn't get to see Aunt Doyeon." Mina whined as she hugged Sohye tight.

"I didn't get to see my mom either. I was recovering. I cried to Eomma Sejeong to let me see her but she told me it was fine. Sure it was true. I got to spend time with Eomma Doyeon before the transplant and I even got a letter, which I already read and yeah...I disappeared into a puddle of tears."

"How's Aunt Sejeong?" Mina asked.

"Eomma has been great. She may remember Eomma Doyeon and she would in pain but she tries to rise against that challenge and be happy. She works part-time at a hospital as a psychiatrist as she fulfills her dream for Eomma Doyeon." Sohye said again. "I owe Eomma her heart and I will make sure I'll take care of it."

Mina gazed at Sohye's chest. She ed the first two buttons and Sohye shrieked of the sudden contact. Mina saw the line on Sohye's chest and she gives it a peck.

"That tickles..." Sohye chuckled. 

"Hey, why did you go on hiding like a syndicate, huh? Why didn't you just tell me of the truth?" Mina asked, giving her a pout.

"I explained the first reasons. The second part of my reasons is that...I didn't expect I'd live but I did. And with Eomma Doyeon's act for me, I had to keep it a secret because you were still at the university. I heard from Aunt Nayoung you were the valedictorian. I couldn't hinder your studies."

 "Don't you ever do like that again." Mina said as she kissed Sohye passionately. "You know I had to cry for the whole year. I thought of the break-up as a hurtful excuse for us to be apart." She kisses her cheek. "You had to keep this for God knows how long and you showed up at the wrong timing." Mina kisses her neck. "Prank me again and I'm not taking you back."

"Sorry." Sohye said as they gaze at each other's eyes. "I'm here now. I'm healthy and I'm going to promise Eomma Doyeon I live happily with you."

Mina teared up. Sohye sighed as she wipes Mina's tears away, then getting a kiss from her. "You don't know how happy I am right now to be with you again."

"I know." Sohye chuckled. "Which is why I made the initiative to come back and be with my match."

"I love you, my Penguin." Mina said, kissing her cheek.

"I love you too. I always have and always will..."

===

Christmas was the best this year. Nayoung and Chaeyeon were at Mina and Sohye's place to celebrate. Sejeong, even the Kim Family from China came with their daughter, Yeunjung.

A little girl was running around as she was excited to open her presents when someone carried her towards the couch.

"Woah. What are you doing in such a hurry?" Sohye asked as she puts the little girl down.

"Eommmaaaa~ I want to open my presents now~" Her daughter whined.

"Now, now, Somi. It's still Christmas Eve. You'll open them tomorrow." Sohye said.

"Eommma~ can I open my presents then wrap them for tomorrow. Pleaaase~" Somi pouted.

"Very funny..." Sohye said as Mina came towards and gave her family hugs and kisses.

"Aigoo...mind your mother, Somi." Mina spoke.

"Ne, Eomma." Somi smiled. "But can I still open my presents?"

"Who wants some cake?" Sejeong could be heard.

Somi rushed towards her grandmother. Sohye and Mina just laughed. They knee their daughter loved cake so much.

"Mina?"

"Yes, baby?" Mina responded to her wife's call.

"Let's have some cake?" Sohye suggested.

Mina laughed as she pulled Sohye up and went to the dining room where the people were at.

***

The celebration was a blast. Nayoung, Chungha, Sejeong, Chaeyeon, and Kyulkyung were so happy to meet their little Somi and they gave her little gifts. They also had gifts for their children.

Mina, Sohye, and Yeunjung also whipped something up for Somi, for their parents, and for themselves and they couldn't be happier.

Somi was a bundle of joy. Despite of being two years old, she was energetic compared to her parents. Yeunjung and Sejeong went hyper and Somi was vibrant. Chungha would question Mina and Sohye where did she get that kind of trait. Sohye shrugged yet Mina pointed Sohye out.

Midnight came quickly and they got the party rocking. When it was already 2 A.M, it was time for bed. Before they did, Sejeong lights up candles on Doyeon's altar inside the house as everyone gather around.

"Merry Christmas, darling. I hope you're happy up there. Look at our kids, Doyeon-ah. They've grown so quick and now they have a daughter. I pray for you all the time and I hope you've been great with our Creator. I love you so much..." Sejeong said as she cries.

"Eomma... Merry Christmas. Thank you for being a part of me through your heart. Eomma Sejeong and I miss you so much, the others too. I would've thought you'd spend Christmas with us this year. But I pray for you that you're happy up there. I love you, Eomma." Sohye said as Mina and Somi wipe her tears.

"Shiameoni, Marry Christmas. Thank you for putting all your trust and love to all of us. As your daughter's wife, I will cherish her and her heart that has showered me and my little Somi with love just as much as you did with her and Aunt Sejeong. I love you, Shiameoni." Mina tears up and Somi wipes them.

"Merry Christmas, Doyeon. Don't worry of Sejeong here. She's been great," said Nayoung.

"We'll take care of your Ahjusshi, Doyeon." Chungha said and they laughed lightly.

"We miss you, Doyeon. Hope you're doing good up there and be cheerful like the old days." Kyulkyung said.

"Godspeed, Imonie." Yeunjung said and they all chuckled.

Somi was last as she got a flower for her late grandmother. Sohye and Mina held hands as they watch in adoration for their little girl.

"Halmeoni...I may have not seen you before but I felt you through Eomma Sohye's love. Merry Christmas, Halmeoni. Halmeoni Sejeong was right about you. You're pretty and I think I know where I got my face and height from." Somi began as the grown-ups chuckled for the little one. "Eomma Sohye and Halmeoni Sejeong miss you so much...so, I miss you even if I haven't seen you. I'm sure Father God took care of you well. I love you, Halmeoni."

Chungha and Kyulkyung almost tear up, especially Yeunjung. Nayoung and Chaeyeon hug each other as Sejeong hugs her granddaughter. Mina hugs Sohye as her wife cried, forcing a smile.

The rest left one at a time. Chungha and her family had to leave early and Yeunjung finally joins them to China. Mina and Sohye had to say goodbye as they shared wonderful memories together. Nayoung and Chaeyeon were next as they bid goodbye to their children and grandchild. Sejeong stayed for a bit, lulling Somi to sleep.

Sohye and Mina say adjacently and Sohye noticed her wife was getting tired.

"Go ahead. I'll take care of Somi." Sohye said. 

Mina nodded. She gave a peck on Sohye's cheek, kissed Somi's cheek and got a motherly kiss on the forehead from Sejeong. As she gone ahead to sleep, Sohye sat beside her mother. Sejeong hands a sleeping Somi to her as she hugs her daughter tight.

"Eomma, why don't you stay here? I missed you and Somi would love to have her grandmother around." Sohye said.

"I'd love to." Sejeong plasters her uncle-like smile. "Why don't you join Mina? I'll send Somi to her room then get myself some sleep."

"It's fine, Eomma. I'll take Somi to bed and you go sleep. Mina might kill me in the morning if I ditched the responsibility." Sohye chuckled.

Sejeong couldn't argue as she went ahead. Sohye carried a sleeping Somi to her room, tucking her to bed. She then went to her room she shared with Mina, seeing her wife snoring. Sohye chuckled and joined her in bed. Sohye was about to doze off when she felt Mina cuddling close to her, her eyes opening.

"I thought you were sleepy." Sohye said as she fixed Mina's hair.

"I am...but I just remembered something." Mina said sleepily.

"What is it?" Sohye asked.

"I remember us." Mina said as she nuzzles onto Sohye's neck. "To think we were best friends for a long time then end up married to each other and having our Somi as our daughter."

"We're a match, remember? We're destined to be together." Sohye winked.

"Aigoo..." Mina said as she got up and pushed Sohye on the bed. "You and your whims."

Sohye chuckled as she and Mina shared their kisses. Mina gave kisses to Sohye's cheek as the girl on the bottom chuckled, all while smoothing her wife's hair. 

"I love you, Kim Sohye." Mina shows her crescent smiles.

"I love you too, Kim Mina...so, so much." Sohye said back. "I'm so lucky to be your match."

"Like you said. We're a match...we've always been..." Mina said as they cuddle and sleep in each other's arms.

-END-

 

 

So that was the update. I decided to update this now because it's such great timing for the holidays. Sorry if this took so long. 

@yunkaer: Request done after 1234567890 seconds HAHA. Anyways, this is my Christmas gift to you. Merry Christmas to you.

@nicz04: Actually, yours is already finished although I had to make some adjustments. I apologize for the great delay.

If you have some requests, don't hesitate to comment below. 

Merry Christmas, AFF from asahdako