Calm Before Storm

Standing Still

Jihyo was in a dazed. She can’t fully wrap what happened yesterday. Too much information she got at the same time, flooded her mind over. Although she was exhausted by the amount of emotions she let out, she can’t pull herself to sleep. Something bugged her mind, something that she dangerously pleased to hear.

 Because he knows you matter the most to me.

The phrase swirled inside her head, over and over again. Every time it did, her cheeks reddened crimson and there’s firework beneath her eyelids.

What was that anyway?

By the time the triple crowned singer let out those phrase, Jihyo could only see him dumbfound. They were like that for several minutes. Jongkook, looked straight at her, and Jihyo, watched him back with wandered eyes, hand still at the doorknob. Not another word exchanged but Jihyo knew something was happening at the time. She’s not really a romantic but she dared to say something almost magical is going on between them.

Then Jongkook smiled a little, popped their magical bubble. Good night, he said back then. Now that Jihyo repeated the scene for thousands in her mind, she noticed Jongkook looked uncharacteristically sad at that time. For the reason she can’t figure though. The phrase that left from the singer’s mouth was weird enough to decipher let alone his vulnerable expression.

So right after Jongkook muttered good night, Jihyo only nodded and left the hospital with his manager.

She didn’t realize she had this glow in her eyes and red blush on her cheeks until she stared at herself in front of the mirror.

Even when she woke up in the morning, the last scene of yesterday played on her mind. And she felt happy. It’s weird to be happy under this circumstance but she did. The phrase made her happy. What is this feeling exactly? She didn’t think she was ready to dig a little deeper inside herself.

Though she can’t deny the light she felt when she strode down the hospital hall. She walked like there’s spring on her shoes. Jihyo was eager to meet with Jongkook again. She need to check on him too, whether he was alright, whether he tried to ignore her again. The possibilities of the later made Jihyo quickened her steps to reach her wanted door. She twisted the door opened without permission.

Jongkook stood in the middle of the room, back facing her. He was on the way to place a black sweater over his body. Jongkook turned his head sideways to see at the intruder.

Jihyo felt heat crept over her cheeks. Quickly, she turned her body with the ball of her feet and closed the door behind her. She glued her eyes to the now closed door. “I’m sorry oppa. I didn’t know,” she murmured shyly.

Although the situation was awkward, Jongkook can’t help but chuckle. “It’s okay. I’m done, you can turn around.”

Jihyo bit her bottom lip but turned around nonetheless. Much to her relief, the singer was indeed done changing. He sat on the edge of his bed, now clad in black knitted sweater that hung perfectly on his body and black jeans. It made Jihyo raised her brow.

“Why are you dress up?”

“They say I could leave today.”

The news lit her eyes. “Really?” she asked, grinned happily. It made Jongkook chuckled when he nodded to answer her question.

She flung herself to Jongkook’s unexpected arms. It’s thanks to his quick reflex that he could catch Jihyo in time.

“What are you doing?” he said, half scolding, half laugh. Jihyo knocked them both but Jongkook managed to get his balance back.

Just after she did it, Jihyo realized that her action brought burden to Jongkook newly healed waist. She stood straight on her feet but didn’t let go her grasped on Jongkook’s shoulders, oblivious to the fact she was standing in between Jongkook’s open legs. “Sorry,” she said cheekily. “It’s just really weird to know you are sick, oppa. You make us worry for good.”

Its Jongkook turned to watch her warm eyes and brought his hand to brush her hair. “I’m sorry.”

Jihyo could swear the tiny gesture made her heart stuttered. And Jongkook didn’t really give her time to react because the next thing she knew, Jongkook cupped her cheek and brushed the skin under her eyes.

“You didn’t sleep well,” he pointed out, caressing the ugly bag under her eye.

The singer would be the reason of her dead, or heart failure. “I can’t sleep. I keep thinking about what you told me yesterday,” she averted her gaze. Why all of sudden she felt nervous?

Jongkook seemed like notice her sudden awkwardness that he let go of her face. He sighed and leaned backward, palmed pressed to the bed and used his arms to support his body, added a little more space between them. His gesture drew realization to Jihyo about their previous position. She can’t hide the blush that crept to her cheeks as she took steps backward and opted to sit at the bed next to the singer, created a safety distance between them.

“I didn’t mean to scare you with the threat,” the singer opened the conversation after Jihyo made herself comfortable by cross her legs.

Jihyo snorted. “It’s not you that scare me, oppa.” She also hid the fact that although she thought about the threat, there’s something that evaded her mind more than the threat. Something that Jongkook said right before Jihyo went home yesterday.

“Actually it’s quite relief that he doesn’t do anything to harm you and I got out with minor injury.”

Jongkook nodded, automatically stared at the bandage on her wrist. “But I do think he is dangerous if he doesn’t get what he wants.”

The actress followed and rubbed her bandaged wrist slowly. She recalled what Jongkook told her yesterday. “That’s why you ignore me lately, isn’t it? Because he told you so,” she softly whispered after several minutes gone by silence between them.

The singer nodded. “I need to at least try to protect you,” he replied softly. “I’m sorry.”

The actress shook her head. “You already give it your best oppa,” she assured. Jihyo was indeed hurt by Jongkook cold shoulders toward her within the past months. Now that she understands the reason, she felt a lot better. It’s relieving to know Jongkook didn’t do it because he wanted to. It means a lot. Suddenly her mood escalated.

“But you know,” she started off. Jihyo stopped when she realized Jongkook didn’t pay attention to her. His mind seemed somewhere else. When Jihyo stopped talking, Jongkook realized and hummed as an answer.

“I prefer for you not to stay away from me,” she hesitantly said.

The mere sentence caught Jongkook’s breath. He stared directly into her eyes and watched how those eyes flickered with uncertainty. The usual glimpse of confident held in those brown warm eyes completely disappear. It tore apart Jongkook’s heart and he swore he would do whatever she wanted him to do. But the fear of putting her in danger is stronger than the pain he felt when he saw her being vulnerable.

“We don’t know what he could do to you,” Jongkook tried to reason with her, but Jihyo was taking none of it.

“Indeed we don’t. But I prefer to face whatever with you and people important to me by my side.”

That’s another sentence that stole his breath away. That and the look Jihyo gave to him. “Stay with me oppa,” she asked and who was Jongkook to deny such heartwarming request?

The triple crowns singer nodded, earned a pretty smile from Jihyo. Jongkook observed how the small flickered went back to her eyes and despite her tired face, she’s back as cheerful Jihyo. She side hugged Jongkook from the position they were in, expressing her gratefulness. She lied her head to rest on Jongkook’s shoulder made the latter’s heart fluttered.

“Thanks,” she whispered, closed her eyes for brief moment to enjoy the warm that the singer offered for her.

Jongkook nodded, didn’t believe his voice to speak. He also didn’t want to destroy the peaceful atmosphere that rested upon them. He could hear Jihyo’s sigh occasionally and decided to let her rested for a while, caught up with her restless night.

Their peaceful moment however destroyed when the door opened and Mrs. Kim peeked inside. Jihyo sat up straight and scooted away from the singer, looked elsewhere. Funny enough, she felt as if she’s getting caught doing something bad.

“Son, are you ready?” the old lady asked then darted her eyes to the actress and smiled warmly. “Ah, my pretty Jihyo is here. Why don’t you tell me?” she exclaimed, half scolded his son.

Jongkook only shrugged while Jihyo rose up from her seat to bow the older lady a respect. The three walked out of hospital with Mrs. Kim linked her arms on both her son and Jihyo. Jongkook only half heard the conversation between his mom and Jihyo, but they talked animatedly. It’s kind of weird, because although his mother is bubbly and cheerful, she never easily gets close with Jongkook’s acquaintance before. She seemed to favor Jihyo. Not that he minded, because who isn’t fond of the actress?

“Your older brother is here,” she said when they arrived at the parking lot. “I could go home with him. You take Jihyo home.”

“It’s okay ma’am,” Jihyo politely refused. “Oppa just get out of hospital. I could call someone to pick me up.”

“It’s alright,” Mrs. Kim insisted. “I raised my son to be gentleman anyway. It’s just the right thing to do to drive a woman back home.”

Jongkook chuckled and took his car key from his mother. He kissed her cheek goodbye and guided Jihyo to his car. Jihyo followed him after bowed to Mrs. Kim.

The old lady waved at them with big smile plastered on her face.

“I thought we’re here to pick Jongkook?” the elder brother asked when his mother climbed to the car alone.

Mrs. Kim grinned at her oldest son and answered with a sentence that actually didn’t answer the question. “I think I will get my second daughter in law real soon.”

Meanwhile true to his mother’s word, Jongkook sent Jihyo home up to her front door. “You really don’t have to do this,” she said when they scrolled passed the hallway to her apartment.

“There’s a psycho that tries to harm you,” he shot back.

“Thanks anyway,” Jihyo thanked him once they arrived in front of her door.

The singer nodded and smiled back in return. “Get inside first,” Jongkook told her.

Jihyo rolled her eyes at his over protectiveness but she can’t help but feel the tingling sensation in her stomach. She entered the passcode and with a standard tune her door opened. She stepped inside and turned to face the singer.

“I’ll see you later?” she offered, make sure Jongkook remembered not to stay away from her anymore.

Jongkook’s smile grew. “You will,” he said.

They fell into silence. Both didn’t say anything but both stayed at their place, wanted to prolong the moment. Moment rolled with them stared at each other, having a silence conversation yet with so much more to exchange. Jihyo watched the contemplative look on Jongkook’s face before after the agonizing wait he finally took a step closer. She could feel the erratic beat of her heart when Jongkook close the gap between them. She could smell the singer’s comforting yet alluring scent. The singer held her gaze, locked it with his own. There’s swirl of emotion inside his eyes, created a darker shade of it. The way the singer looked at her intently made Jihyo’s knees weak.  

Then Jongkook raised his hand to pat Jihyo’s hair. “Bye,” he said, before retreated and walked away.

Jihyo went inside her apartment, blush adorned her cheeks.  Her heart beat insanely under her ribcage because she knew Jongkook intended to do more than pat her hair. Smiled touched her lips when she took off her shoes and went into her room.

None of them realize someone hid in the shadow, watching their exchange.  

 

 

 

(ladydeb)

 

 


Finally I got sufficient time to complete this chapter. I've just passed my first exam on my thesis, I Still have two more to go *groan. I haven't got the result yet, though, wish me luck on that. 

anyway, I'm happy about how this chapter turns out. After this, the story will gradually became faster and escalate into the . Really, please be patient with me ^^