Persona

Standing Still

Jihyo closed her eyes once her stylist applied a foundation on her face. Behind them, the TV played Running Man, the episode where Taeho and his team came to the show. The sound became a background sound for the room. Her stylist looked up just in time to see the scene where Jongkook patted Jihyo hat and entered the scene of the battlefield.

“You are with Kim Jongkook-ssi again,” she commented.

Jihyo opened her eyes and looked at the screen. The scene already changed to when Jongkook walked on the corridor to meet his opponent, but she heard her voice before and Jongkook’s voice that said she did well. “Yeah, Jongkook oppa always lifted people’s spirit.”

The stylist slowly tilted Jihyo’s face to apply the cream. “It’s not what I mean. It seems that he’s very attentive toward you.”

This time, Jihyo gradually confused. “What do you mean?”

Her stylist sighed. “You never notice, don’t you?” she replied. “Kim Jongkook-ssi takes care of you well, unnie. When you wore a miniskirt in the crowd, he came for me to ask for something you could use to cover your skirt. When you are wet, he’s the first one to cover you with towel. He makes my job easier.”

Now that Jihyo opened her eyes and looked at him intently, she lifted down the sponge and thought. “Ah, right. He also really appreciates you, unnie. He never uses his strength at you and he protects you well. He really is gentle toward you. Isn’t he charismatic?”

Jihyo shook her head in this belief. “Whoa, hear what you said. You sounded like a fan-girl.

Her stylist grinned. “You can’t say no to man with charisma like that unnie, don’t you at least find him attractive?”

“Jongkook oppa knows how to treat women right,” Jihyo acknowledged. “He’s gentle and polite to women, which are why he has a lot of rumor with another woman.”

Now her stylist applied blush on her face. They were getting ready for magazine shoot. “So those are only rumor? None of them were true?” she asked excitedly.

Jihyo shrugged her shoulder. “I don’t know. We never talk about it.”

“But unnie,” her stylist started while applying shadow to her eyes. “Have you ever think about how attractive Kim Jongkook-ssi as a man?”

“Of course,” she replied as she opened her eyes. Just with a slight touch of make-up, her beauty magnified. “Even Kwangsoo and Haha oppa recognize that qualities in him. It’s in his nature, to take care of others.”

“Does it make your heart flutter?”

She glared at her stylist. “Yah, what flutter?! I’m proud, I’m proud.”

The stylist attacked her with eye-liner that successfully put a stop to her glare. “Why proud?”

“That’s a feeling you get when you know your older brother has a lot of good qualities and famous with women,” Jihyo explained. “Of course I’m proud, to be able to know that kind of person and become a family. Not only Jongkook oppa, I feel the same for others member as well.” Her stylist whined that it’s not the meaning of her question, but she ignored her. What’s wrong with her anyway? Asking about stuff like Jongkook is charming and stuff?

When Jihyo started to work together with Jongkook in Running Man, she learned that Jongkook is extremely shy toward woman. Even though they had been work together for a brief while in the show Family Outing, Jongkook treated her as if they were stranger. After several episodes of Running Man, their interaction off camera was only exchange greeting. Jongkook still addressed her formally despite Jihyo’s attempted to get closer. Jihyo envied the warm relationship other member had. Jongkook looked like a warm person to his junior also respectful to his senior. They get close easily, except her. That situation added a burden for her, as the sole woman on the show. She knew she would never be as close because she’s woman. She didn’t fit well among member and the thought of quit Running Man came across her mind several times.

When they have pretty guest on the show, Jihyo attained that Jongkook treated her same as beautiful actress that came as a guest. It’s quite disappointing since she felt like an outsider by his act. Thankfully, at that time Jihyo started to get closer with the youngest, Kwangsoo and Joongki, also Haha and Jaesuk were kind to her. While slowly, getting close to other members except Jongkook, Jihyo started to work hard to be able to fit as the only woman in the cast.

It’s not an instant change, but Jihyo and Jongkook gradually got close to each other. Their exchanged greeting evolved into small conversation, then the awkwardness between them one by one crumbled. Jihyo remembered when Jaesuk confronted about Jongkook shy manner toward beautiful actress but not to Jihyo anymore. When she heard Jongkook replied was because he already thought of her as a family, Jihyo felt they actually became family. She felt delight when Jongkook acknowledged her as family yet still consider her as pretty woman. It’s satisfying to know Jongkook’s change attitude toward her not because he didn’t see her as less woman, but because she was a part of family.

At the same time, it also means the ace is the important woman for Jongkook. She is the only woman he takes a great care, despite his blood-relative. It made her special and Jihyo treasured their relationship. Along the way, they build trust and interdependency, not only in the show, but also in real life. When all members held a fan meeting in overseas and they have to sing and dance, Jihyo got most support from Jongkook. She didn’t used to fan meeting in this big scale, let alone perform in stage. She had a quite hard time to adjust. Jongkook listened to her worry and ceased it. He told her anything she needs to know, he stood by her side, and he helped her in many ways. His presence, his words, and his touch all comforted Jihyo. She feels safe and secure with him around. Jongkook is the epitome of determination and confidence, just looking at him makes Jihyo gained confident.

“Song Jihyo-ssi, please stand by,” said the coordinator.

Jihyo opened her eyes and get ready to the photo shoot session. Her stylist gave her last touch on her lips and Jihyo went out to the photo shooting area. She was modeling for fashion magazine to promote spring’s clothes. Now that Running Man grew famous, the cast also flooded with job offer. Jihyo took this chance to explore her-self. She tried lots of things she never tried before like modeling and went to variety shows. Jihyo smiled when she remembered that it was also Jongkook that support her to accept other variety offer. The cameraman took her pictures and the blitz almost blinded her eyes. She followed the instruction, but her mind ever so often drifted off. She remembered simple message he sent to her phone to cheer her whenever she told him she had a job. Jongkook often spent time with her and the rest and hear their worries. He knows how to lift up people’s spirit. He has faith in you that make you have a faith in yourself.

That’s why, even though Haha is Jihyo’s all-time favorite because he always keep up with her childishness, she trust Jongkook to lead her. That’s why she treasured him and their bond a lot. It’s just like a relation between an older capable brother and a little sister. That’s also why she would like to preserve this relationship with him.

Lately, Jihyo noticed something different within Jongkook. She didn’t comprehend the exact cause but she was sure something’s happened. There are times when she felt Jongkook avoided her. They are not really stick together but this time there’s a brick wall that she can’t pass between them. It’s not too vivid, but Jihyo eventually felt it. The strange thing is whenever she tried to aware of the existence of the wall, Jongkook wracked the wall. He was being his usual self if not more. He acted like nothing happened and treated Jihyo kindly. It’s weird and Jihyo swore she felt as if they were on push and pull relationship.

The ace felt uncomfortable with the situation. That’s the reason she was persistent to spend some time with Jongkook lately. She needed chance to voice out the topic. She would like to discuss this between them. Their relationship not easily established since the first time, therefor Jihyo preferred to talk it out if there’s something that could change the trajectory of their relationship.

Jihyo decided today will be the day. It’s supposed to be last week, when she invited him to eat dinner together after Running Man filming. Jongkook agreed to her offer but in the middle Jongkook canceled because he got call from her mom. Apparently his mom already cooked dinner for him and being a good son as he is, Jongkook obediently went home. That was a cute and admirable side of him. Jihyo ended up grabbed dinner with others member without him. Although the plan was canceled, Jihyo persuaded Jongkook to promise he’ll go eat with her next time. That next time is today.

“Okay, finish. Thank you for today,” one of the staff announced, followed by clap. Here and there they exchanged greeting. Jihyo bowed to the staff, said her thanks too. She went in to change her clothes. Her manager and stylist already waited for her. They praised her for the good work. Jihyo rummaged through her bag to find her phone. She scrolled the notification and saw chat she wanted to see.

I’m at the parking lot, near door K.

Jihyo texted him back, told him to wait for a little while she’s changing.

“Unnie, let’s go eat before go home. Today we don’t have any schedule.”

Jihyo grabbed her clothes and went into bathroom to change. “You guys go together. I already have a promise for lunch.”

“You want to eat with your friend?” her stylist asked.

“Yes,” Jihyo answered with muffled sound. Outside her manager and her stylist looked at each other and both shrugged their shoulder. “Maybe Kwangsoo or fellow artist,” her manager guessed.

“Unnie, who is your friend?” her stylist pushed.

Jihyo went out and placed her photo session clothes on her stylist hands, and then she grabbed her bag. “Kim Jongkook,” she replied once she was opening the door.

Ignoring her stylist squeal and fussed, Jihyo waved her hand to them. “I’ll see you guys’ latter, bye.”

Jihyo quickly stride passed the corridor and took an elevator down. She walked outside the building and arrived on the parking lot on the K section. She looked her surrounding, searched for familiar car. She actually could hear the engine running. She walked through the first row and saw the red light of the black car. She then recognized the car as Jongkook personal car. Jihyo went closer to the car right side and knocked slowly at the tinted window. Almost immediately, the window rolled down.

“Are you finished?” Jongkook asked her from across.

“Yeah. I’m sorry to make you pick up me, oppa.”

Jongkook unlocked the door. “It’s okay. Get in.”

Jihyo opened the door and hopped into the passenger seat next to Jongkook. When she was inside, she could hear a faint song from the player and combined with the warmth inside the care, it soothed her right away. She noticed Jongkook wore a tight black V-neck and knee length black shorts, all black as usual. Jihyo also recognized when Jongkook glance her short skirt and immediately gave his jacket that hung on his chair to cover her legs. She accepted the jacket and placed it on her lap.

“You still have make up on,” Jongkook commented on her visual appearance. Jihyo hadn’t erased her make up from the photo shoot. She had full make up especially on her eyes and red lips.

“Isn’t it nice?” Jihyo said, referring to her usual self that seldom wore full make up.

“Of course, you’re pretty,” Jongkook praised her naturally.

The ace grinned by the praise. This is another quality in Jongkook that sufficient to made woman’s heart flutter; he praised woman naturally, but not excessively. There are occasions when Jongkook praised Jihyo’s beauty and each time it happened, Jihyo can’t help but feeling flattered. Jongkook drove the car rolled off the parking slot.

“Oppa, I think this is the first time we go somewhere just two of us,” Jihyo started.

“Right. I just think the same,” he replied, smiling slightly. “Do you feel uncomfortable?”

She fiddled with her seat belt while thinking about it. Jihyo then looked up to see Jongkook’s side face. “I’m slightly nervous before, since this is the first time. But when I actually entered the car, you are indifferent from the usual yourself, oppa. So, even though it’s a little awkward, it’s familiar and exciting too.”

The explanation brought another chuckle from Jongkook. “Let’s just enjoy being our-self today. What do you want to eat?”

They arrived at their destination restaurant several moments later. It’s a secluded area. The restaurant itself is not big, just a comfortable restaurant that decorated like home. They both chose the restaurant for the privacy, so they could eat comfortably and away from uproar. After Jongkook parked the car they both went out and walked to the restaurant’s entrance. They chose the furthest table at the corner and sat right away.

“Why is your order all green?” Jongkook questioned her. It’s very weird for Jihyo to just order vegetable and salad while usually she order much deep fried meat and stuff that earned cringe from Jongkook.

“Ah, oppa, I still have a few photo sessions left. I have to wear many kinds of clothes; they told me to stay in shape.”

Jongkook picked up the menu. “What are you saying? You’re slim enough,” he argued. Then he ordered another beef set and soup for her. Jihyo was dumbfounded and opened to protest but Jongkook cut her off. “You just starve yourself. We can train your body later if you fall out of shape.” Then Jongkook politely said to the old lady their order. The lady laughed at their bickering and noted all the order before left them alone.

“This place is comfortable.”

“Just like countryside,” Jongkook agreed.

“It must be nice to go vacation on countryside,” Jihyo said, thought about sea and sun.

The man nodded at her. “It seems you’re pretty busy these days.”

It’s Jihyo’s turn to nod. She drank from her glass before answered. “Yeah, I have modeling offer and I also have some appearance in TV drama.”

Jongkook mumbled how she should take cares of herself in the middle of busy schedule. Jihyo replied by jokingly said Jongkook really nags too much. It earned another chuckled for Jongkook that added he has nothing fun thing to do except nags at people. They talked lightly until their food arrived. Then both immersed in grilled the beef that stopped the conversation for a while. Jongkook was cutting the meat for both of them when Jihyo decided to let cat out of the bag.

“Oppa, did something gone wrong lately?”

He stopped his doing and looked straight at Jihyo. “What do you mean?”

“I just… feel that you are slightly confusing lately,” she said, now doubting the idea since she sounded stupid.

He continued to cut the meat and served some into her plate, made sure she ate enough. He didn’t have to worry though, since apparently Jihyo changed her mind and eat to her heart’s content. “What’s so confusing about me?”

Jihyo bit his bottom lip, knowing the question will came. “There’s a time when you feels so far. I don’t know if I could explain it properly. You avoid people in one time and act like nothing happen in other time. I was wondering what exactly happen.”

The man sipped his drink, looked calm and composed, just like his usual self. People will think that he was all cool and undisturbed with the conversation they held. In reality, his stoic face was a façade to hide his inner conflict. Everyone close to him could pinpoint that, Jihyo can. She could saw the mask he wore to the public. That is what actually she was talking about. The feeling that Jongkook created distance between them and avoided her was because Jongkook put on that persona.

“You think I’m avoiding you,” Jongkook stated, played with his food.

Suddenly the tension became thick in the air and Jihyo felt suffocated. Thinking about it, they never have serious talk like this. Jihyo usually thought it was very easy with Jongkook. They have mutual understanding without exchange words. They just understand each other. This is their first serious talk and Jihyo hoped it ends well.

The tension suddenly melted as Jongkook brought meat to Jihyo’s lips, which she absentmindedly ate. “Nothing is going on,” Jongkook replied.

Jihyo gulped down the meat after few chews and opened her empty mouth to speak but Jongkook used the chance to shove another chunk of food to . “Really, I’m just a little bit tired. In that state, I don’t want to approach people. The tired me isn’t a good company.”

She smacked Jongkook’s upper arm to tell him she didn’t like being stuffed. Jongkook laughed at her short temper nature. Jihyo ate the food with her own spoon, slurped at the soup. “You’re not lie to me, are you?” she said, glancing at him who calmly placed some food inside his mouth and chewed.

“Of course, why should I?”

“So nothing’s wrong with us right?” Jihyo repeated now that they arrived in front of the woman’s apartment building after their lunch. At first Jihyo didn’t want to trouble Jongkook and asked him to drop her off at the building where Jongkook picked her so she could call her manager to drop her home. Jongkook took none of it and drove Jihyo straightly home. Jihyo just let him, because Jongkook will do it anyway, no matter what she says.

“There’s nothing wrong,” Jongkook assured her, turned off the engine of his car.  “I never know you’re sensitive about this kind of thing.”

“Of course,” Jihyo said while unbuckling her seat belt. “You’re part of my family, oppa.”

Jongkook didn’t answer her for some moment. He just sat there and looked front, refused to see Jihyo either. Jihyo was about to ask what’s wrong when Jongkook looked at her and smile. There’s indeed something wrong though. Jihyo never saw someone smiling and looked sad at the same time. Jihyo never saw Jongkook smile like that. The smile never touched his eyes, which darkened as if something died inside of him.

“Now, get in,” Jongkook softly spoke, unlocking the car.

Too confuse to comprehend Jihyo get off the car and shut the door back. The window rolled down and Jihyo managed to stare at that face again, but the expression was gone, replaced by the usual calm Jongkook. He smiled again, and this time the smile was his usual little smile. Jihyo started to wonder if she was seeing things.

“See you later,” Jongkook told her.

Jihyo nodded. “See you later, oppa. Thank you for today, drive safely.”

“Sure,” Jongkook replied but he didn’t start his car. He gestured for Jihyo to enter first. Jihyo walked to the entrance of her apartment building, wondered if she really got an answer for her question or instead gain another question. Opened the door, she turned back to wave at him. Jongkook was there, watching her and wave back. He stayed there a while longer even when Jihyo can’t be seen. Jongkook stared at the empty space, tried to calm his aching heart.

Stupid. He knew Jihyo didn’t have a clue about his feeling and he was ready for the rejection. He thought he was ready. He didn’t expect it to feel this hurt to hear her said the fact out loud. He was just like family to her. Jongkook exhaled, tried to lessen the feel of suffocated. Once he gathered his composure back, Jongkook started the engine and drove away.

Nor Jihyo or Jongkook realized there’s man sat in his car on the corner of the park, watching their exchange.

 

 

(LadyDeb)