Chapter 1 | 01082016

Healing a Healer

Na Ra has seen her brother angry on many occasions. There are levels to his anger; it is never predictable. However, out of all the levels she has seen, this tops the cake. Sunggyu is livid. Heck, even that is an understatement. Na Ra can see flames in his pupils - literally.

"Are you crazy?!" Sunggyu roars and for the shortest moment, every living soul near the area has gotten the shock of their lives. Na Ra is just glad she pulled him out of the hospital or they'd probably be labeled as a public nuisance.

"What's the worst that could happen?" Na Ra asks, not understanding the reason behind his rage, and Sunggyu finds himself this close to throwing a fireball at her out of frustration. Not that she'd get hurt anyway.

"Oh I don't know, maybe you'd lose your powers. Maybe you'd tarnish your image as a Warrior Aerona. Oh how about this, you could die." Na Ra shrinks back the moment Sunggyu raises his voice; Sunggyu has never done such a thing no matter how mad he is at her. "The Elders will literally kill you, you do realise that right?"

Na Ra stays quiet and hangs her head low. She knew he wouldn't like the idea of it but she never thought he'd be so against it. She hears him scoff and even though she isn't looking at him, she knows he's running his fingers through his hair. He does that a lot when he's frustrated.

"Of course you do. Yet, you don't care, do you? None of the consequences mean a single to you. All that matters to you is saving his life-"

"What would you know?" Na Ra cuts him off, enraged. She has had enough of others making it seem as though Howon's life is of no importance. Nobody else is desperate to save him. She's on her own and even though there's the part of her that tells her she can't blame the rest for they are of no match to Cha Eun Woo, her mind is too worked up over the whole issue to even think things through. "You don't know what it's like to witness the one the you love on the edge of death and be completely incapable of saving them-"

"Don't you dare accuse me of not knowing how it feels like Na Ra because I watched our parents die right before my eyes. Am I supposed to do the same with you?" Sunggyu interjects, his finger pointed at her. Hearing those words fills Na Ra with regret. She knows she's gone too far. Right as she is about to apologise for her words, Sunggyu says, "You listen to me. If he dies, you've still got me. But if you die, Na Ra, I am left with no one. And don't you forget. You are the last Warrior Aerona standing. If you lose your powers, or even die for that matter, this whole realm will die with you because mark my words, the Warlocks will not be afraid to attack. So if you're completely fine with risking all of that, then by all means, go ahead and be selfish."

For a moment, Na Ra feels as though she has just been given a tight, hard slap across the face. His words are knives enough to leave scars on her heart as she watches him walk away. A mix of colours surround his whole being; anger, pain and helplessness are the three main ones. Sometimes Na Ra wishes she isn't able to see others' auras for seeing them sometimes pains her emotionally; especially since she'd also feel a portion of their emotions. Seeing Sunggyu in such a state makes her feel more divided between her options. She knows deep down that his words contain some truth. Na Ra knows that no matter what she chooses to do, she'd still be at the losing end. She only needs to decide on how much damage she'd like to settle on - because either she sacrifices her lover or her kingdom. She's selfish, so she's been told, but she isn't willing to give up on Howon just like that. 

 

"What do you mean you can't do anything? You're an Elder," Na Ra exclaims, unable to comprehend their words. 

"It is not up to us to decide whether he lives or dies. We are not capable of healing him," they reply in a dismissive manner. Na Ra finds herself gaping in disbelief. She is at a loss for words; unable to register their lack of concern. She stares at them, waiting to see if they'd justify themselves but instead they return her gaze. She could set this whole place on fire. She would. But then it hits her.

"You guys are afraid aren't you? You know he's capable of harming you so you'd rather stay out of his way, am I right?"

"Watch your tone, Na Ra," one of them warns.

"No, don't tell me to watch my tone. None of you deserve my respect. You're capable of doing so many things yet you're so fearful of him. Why? Because unlike the others, he can actually hurt you? Well what about me? I'm capable of harming you too. In fact, I could kill you off at this very moment and there'd be nothing you can do to stop me yet look at you. You don't feel threatened at all, do you?" The Elders are silent but Na Ra knows they hear her.

"If you're not going to help me then fine, I'll settle this on my own but hear me when I say this. I may not have been raised in the light of evil the way he was but if one day I come in here and end your lives without the slightest bit of remorse, don't say I didn't warn you." Without waiting for their response, Na Ra envelopes herself in a ball of air and returns to her kingdom. She knows that if she had stayed there any longer, she would've lost her sanity.

 

Na Ra enters his ward and says, "I'll be here with him for the night. You may leave early."

Heeding to her commands, her subjects nod and exit the room without a single question sent her way. Once the room has been cleared, Na Ra walks towards Howon; each step weighing more than the previous one. Her face remains stoic as she stands by his side but as the seconds tick by, all that she's been holding in finally surfaces. Hot tears gather in her eyes as a lump forms in . Slowly, they begin to trickle down her cheek, hitting the ground at inconsistent beats. Na Ra doesn't stop herself as she continues to burn with emotions. She is never afraid to show them in his presence; only in his presence. She reaches for his face, her hand shaking. Caressing his cheek, she takes in a deep breath and calms herself down before speaking.

"I don't know if you can hear me but if you can, keep this in mind. I'm not giving up on you. Not now, not ever. So please, I'm begging you. Hold on...for at least three more months."

 

"Well, how do I look?" Na Ra asks, twirling in her new dress. He smiles, scanning her from head to toe. Her hair is done up and her makeup highlights her best features. Her dress is the perfect selection - as red as her fiery soul, with lace detailing around her neckline towards the small of her back in the form of a V. Her shoes compliment her dress; plain cream velvet pumps. Na Ra stares at him through the mirror, waiting for his reply anxiously.

"You look extremely beautiful," Eun Woo smiles and just like that, Na Ra is relieved. "What's the occasion?"

Turning around, she bares a wide smile and says, "Howon has invited me to a ball."

The mention of his name puts an end to Eun Woo's admiration as his expression falters. "Howon?"

"Yeah, I've talked about him before, right?" Na Ra says as she touches up on her makeup and hair, completely oblivious to Eun Woo's change in demeanor. She continues to talk about him, not noticing the green that encircles Eun Woo. He hides his emotions well, unfortunately. He's the only one Na Ra can't read.

"Na Ra," he calls out, disturbing her mini monologue about the other guy. 

"Hmm?"

"Do you like him?" The question catches her off guard but after a long pause, she turns to Eun Woo. Without realizing it, her words bare the knives to his heart.

"Yeah, I think I do."

 

Eun Woo jolts awake from his sleep, heavily panting. He scans the area and blinks in an attempt to get rid of the blur in his vision. Once he has recovered from his mild state of shock, he replays the dream in his head. Anger bubbles within him as her playful smile lingers in his mind. However, as seconds go by, he feels a pang in his heart.

I wanted to be the reason behind that smile.